The WISPR vaporizer

King Lou

VN1FZ.jpg

New picture posted to the iolite site. It makes it look like a mini box fan for cooling snacks.

King Lou,

PhishCactus

Lvl. 420 Vaporist
Yeah, It's probably the same old iolite with a new shell, this company has proven to be finicky, with their product, and their customer service. I owned an iolite, and frankly think it is not worth anything near the 200 + dollars it's supposed to retail at. If this company could only efficiently harness their very ingenious catalytic heating system, or application of the system to vaporization i should say, and add temp control and a better housing etc. so one doesn't have to exhale directly into a lightbulb with a magnifying glass and a drug sniffing dog there to tell if there making any vapor, then maybe they would get more customers that the impulse buyers and the uninformed. Thats just my opinion, I know some people do well with theres and love them, maybe theres a temperature discrepancy so that some iolites heat up an extra 20 or 30 degrease and give some users better vapor.

Regardless, we won't know until this unit is released, maybe they have indeed made some changes for the better.
:2c: :peace:

PhishCactus,

nr-cole

Never understood all the hate for the Iolite. 90% of the time I'd rather use it than mess around with my Extreme Q. I've never noticed the butane smell, and the hits might be considered "thin" but it still never fails to do the job.

My big question about the WISPR, does that name imply that this thing might be more quiet than the old one? Or is it just a reference to the less conspicuous design? If they've managed to turn the volume down on the sound it makes when it heats up, they might have a winner here.

nr-cole,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Bit of info from the iolite website:
iolite website said:
WISPR by IOLITE is the new generation of IOLITE portable vaporizers. We enlisted the help of San Francisco design firms Thing Tank and Sequitur Creative to help us create the next generation of portable vaporizers. The WISPR represents a complete re-working of the technology that made the IOLITE an instant best-seller. Its elegant, effective, and truly design-forward.

Surf Monkey said:
I do like the new design. It looks a lot like a vintage transistor radio. Like it came directly from the 1950s via a time machine. The current one looks more like it came off the set of one of the Joel Schumacher Batman flicks, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I think it's bold of them to take a radically different design direction with their product
I like the retro look too, it looks like it will provide good insulation from the heat of the unit. Your descriptions are great. :D

From what I've heard some of the new features are improved vapor density, a fuel window, a folding silicone mouthpiece (no more broken threads) and the unit itself will be cooler to touch when in use.

Personally I haven't had any issues with my original model iolites (one has been with a friend who is notoriously hard on things and has used only cheap butane and it's still going strong) but I know that many people have had problems so hopefully iolite has taken this opportunity to address them.

Not sure on the price but I wouldn't take Gotvape's presale price as gospel. Will have some initial impressions soon!

nr-cole said:
Never understood all the hate for the Iolite. 90% of the time I'd rather use it than mess around with my Extreme Q. I've never noticed the butane smell, and the hits might be considered "thin" but it still never fails to do the job.
Agreed. When portability and ease-of-use are top priority I still grab an iolite and a can of butane.

vtac,

Nycdeisel

I was interested in seeing that video, which may or may not be available for viewing.

my advice to the people wondering would be to sit and wait and watch here, Im sure the price will come down soon enough.

kinda curious about how the improvements really function

Nycdeisel,

willieR

Been here since 2009
I have to join the crowd. I was a big-time iolite fan for a couple of years. Not any more (MFLB instead)

I do not miss the butane mess

I do not miss the iolite smell. It stinks of old weed for some reason, despite my cleanings.

The iolite never worked perfectly and was sometimes a pain to start. I went through three of 'em. Still have the last one.

This whisper looks very lame. I liked the look and shape of the original. Square edges always look odd in a pocket. The MFLB has square edges but it's microscopic in comparison, so not an issue.

The price of this whisper is just ridiculous.

willieR,
Ok ive been watching these people talk crap about the iolite for a while now. And true the iolite has some definite issues, but imho i believe that the iolite produces abundant amounts of vapor. i do have the optimizer which does make a huge difference. if you want thicker vapor, let it cycle (meaning let the heating element go twice), and dont hit it while its heating. I also feel that it doesnt need a controlled heating element, too me its at the perfect vaping temp.
NOW TO THE BAD... my problem with my iolite started when the heating element stopped reheating after the first ignition (it should automatically re-light to maintain proper temp.), i would have to press the ignitor every time or else butane would just spew out. But then the problem self corrected.Then it wouldnt turn on, and that corrected itself. A few weeks later the earlier problem came back and it was worse, the temp. gauge seemed to be broken and started heating like crazy and i got scared and turned it off. I finally emailed customer service because i only owned it about 3 months. The said to try a couple things, such as, purge all butane and fill it 3-4 times, wait 60 seconds after turning to 1 before pressing the ignitor, and to make sure i was using 5x refined approved butane, which i was. so i purged it the 4 times and it seemed to work, untill i went to use it again. So i emailed them again, and they sent me their Warranty and shipping instructions and thats when i got the shocker. They said ship it back but if it had any residue at all they will keep it and they wont issue you another one. THERE IS NO WAY I COULD HAVE GOT ALL RESIDUE OFF!!!!! so Needless to say Their customer service policies suck... But i kept using the iolite because it would work and still get me vaped. And miraculously now my iolite works flawlessly. Idk wtf happened or how it corrected itself, its like something out of the twiligh zone. i Definitely am thinking about the wispr because i would hope that iolite would improve their products. its either wispr or mflb so idk, i still love my iolite even though we have had our problems. just my two cents =)

Vaped4Sure,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
glad to see things worked out for you, vaped4sure...but it didn't for most. My guess is you don't have many vapes, as once you've had a good one you just toss the bad ones. Get a mflb next time to see what a great vape is like!

stickstones,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Vaped4Sure do you happen to be affiliated with any company? I loved my iolite and thought it was the greatest thing in the world. Then I used the 1/2 priced MFLB and found IMO it was better in literally every single way. I can't think of one thing the iolite does that my MFLB doesn't do better. That and the reliability of it is shit. My buddy bought my old one and it promptly ceased working within a month or 2 after he got it. I will always think fondly of the iolite for making portable vaping real easy, but IMO it is outdated and overpriced in the current market. I would be really unlikely to try another iolite since I can't think of any reason to at all.

darkrom,

lesvape

Queer in a high haze
I will say I am sold on the design, but I don't like the price or the QC issues that I keep reading about.

lesvape,

frogbmth

As soon as I get my hands on one of these I will do some youtube videos on this version. As most know, I have been a big fan of the I-Inhale and iolite, so looking forward to seeing how this one performs.

frogbmth,

lesvape

Queer in a high haze
I dunno why they don't just bring out something the size of the ploom(+ temp control), that be a size I would be all over.

lesvape,

frogbmth

Nice idea that size, I agree but I don't think it can be done efectively. The ploom is junk. There is a big problem with a gas vape that size, heat. You can only hold a ploom at the bottom as the top half gets red hot, and I mean RED HOT, you have no hope of putting it down for a while after turning it off. If you think the iolite gets hot, it's stone cold compared tp a ploom. The exhaust can get straight into the vapour chamber and it doesnt hold anywhere near enough butane. I hope they never bring anything out like the ploom :D

Here's a vid I did on it youtube

frogbmth,

tuttle

darkrom said:
I can't think of one thing the iolite does that my MFLB doesn't do better.

I think the one thing the iolite has that really no other portable does well yet is portable duration. You get what, a solid 2 hours or so on one fill of butane versus 5 hits or so on one battery on the MFLB. If you can bring along a can of butane (camping trip) and that duration extends to several days. Yeah, there are a lot of things I wish the iolite did better, but there is a definite niche it fills, and fills it well.

tuttle,
tuttle said:
darkrom said:

I think the one thing the iolite has that really no other portable does well yet is portable duration. You get what, a solid 2 hours or so on one fill of butane versus 5 hits or so on one battery on the MFLB. If you can bring along a can of butane (camping trip) and that duration extends to several days. Yeah, there are a lot of things I wish the iolite did better, but there is a definite niche it fills, and fills it well.

5 Hits on a MFLB battery? Who you jiving?

My high quality sony Eneloop knockoffs are good for, literally, 3 good size trenches, start to finish. The first trench is pure pleasure, the others are completely adequate. The MFLB is like a rifle, it's only as good as the bullets you load in it... Or I guess how good the powder is inside those bullets, more aptly. Use good batteries and a good charger and you'll have a good experience. I've actually kind of fallen in love with my MFLB all over again after not using it for so long. I recycled half of my batteries, culling the weaker ones from the pack, and I'm much happier. Quality batts or you may as well combust.

Whenever I revisit my Iolite, I'm struck with a "THAT'S why I pushed this thing into a drawer and forgot about it for 6 months" kind of feeling.

charliedontsurf,

Bluntcrush

Director of Vapor Research Labs™
Interesting! I never was able to put my finger on why the taste was so different from other vapes, but this thread has outlined some of the finer points. I am such a lover of the experience of trying out new vapes, so I might give this a whirl, but IMO my MFLB replaced my Iolite ( I have only used mine once for sheer novelty since I got my MFLB)

The price would have to be no more than $200 USD before I would bite. Thanks everyone for the insights! :peace:

Bluntcrush,

King Lou

charliedontsurf said:

My high quality sony Eneloop knockoffs are good for, literally, 3 good size trenches, start to finish.

But those aren't the batteries you get with it, right? How many batteries do you own for it? Have you had any of them crap out when they accidentally touch and discharge? I'm not a MFLB hater. I've used it for a weekend when my boss lent it too. I'd say the main thing that the MFLB has over the Iolite is the quickness you can hit it and put it away. Its very stealthy. Stealthier than the Iolite for sure.

For me, personally, I just happen to like my iolite better for now. I've had mine for 2 years and the only issue I had was when I was using bad Ronson butane when I first started using it. Since I switched to Lotus its been smooth sailing. Is it perfect? Nope. Is it great for the blow out price they are selling it for on Amazon right now? Yeah, its certainly a good deal at $118 (as of today).

I haven't really noticed any of this smell people keep talking about. As long as I keep it clean with ISO every few weeks it doesn't stink of herb when its warming up. And the butane smell I only notice if its right in my face when its warming up.

Now, I think the new design is interesting but they are nuts if they think people are going to shell out $250 for that design. I've been hearing for a while about an Arizer portable that is supposed to cost $300! So I guess some companies think people will pay that much...

King Lou,
darkrom said:
Vaped4Sure do you happen to be affiliated with any company? I loved my iolite and thought it was the greatest thing in the world. Then I used the 1/2 priced MFLB and found IMO it was better in literally every single way. I can't think of one thing the iolite does that my MFLB doesn't do better. That and the reliability of it is shit. My buddy bought my old one and it promptly ceased working within a month or 2 after he got it. I will always think fondly of the iolite for making portable vaping real easy, but IMO it is outdated and overpriced in the current market. I would be really unlikely to try another iolite since I can't think of any reason to at all.

Why would you think i would be affiliated with iolite when i openly stated how shocked i was with their customer service policies.... like i said in my review it does have alot of flaws but mine has corrected itself of every problem i have encountered.. i can easily see that that very well might not be the case with most people. but if thick vapor is what you were looking for and you didnt use the optimizer that could be a reason... I DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM! but i feel that maybe, just maybe they have learned from their mistakes.. i still use it with no problems (as of now) and still think it is more covert than mflb.. mflb just looks like a devious device... i think it would draw way more attention than the mflb just my opinion. i am thinking about getting a mflb just to see what the rave is about but im not ruling out the wispr

Vaped4Sure,
tuttle said:
darkrom said:

I disagree about the duration.... i think the most that i have got out of the iolite is 45 mins DEFINATELY not the 2 hrs they claim

Vaped4Sure,
stickstones said:
glad to see things worked out for you, vaped4sure...but it didn't for most. My guess is you don't have many vapes, as once you've had a good one you just toss the bad ones. Get a mflb next time to see what a great vape is like!

i have a easyvape, iolite, vaporgenie, and a volcano... im talking about the iolite which is my second favorite to the volcano

Vaped4Sure,
King Lou said:
charliedontsurf said:

My high quality sony Eneloop knockoffs are good for, literally, 3 good size trenches, start to finish.

But those aren't the batteries you get with it, right? How many batteries do you own for it? Have you had any of them crap out when they accidentally touch and discharge? I'm not a MFLB hater...

They are not, but they were inexpensive, like 5 dollars for 4 when I found them on sale off some given website. They aren't even one of the brands which people recommend, they were originally intended to power digital cameras, and I'm just happy they work so well. I have to be conscious to actually breathe quickly on the first trench lest it get too toasty all at once. ALWAYS use the plastic caps included with the MFLB on the ends of your batteries, this prevents their discharging - honestly, I think MFLB should throw in like 12 of them as a courtesy. They must cost, literally, a dime a dozen, and they'll prevent hundreds of people from having a REAL hot pocket, or worse, direct exposure to battery acid! I know this is off topic a little, but my point in the end is that my MFLB dominates my Iolite if you DO have a good battery.

You smell nothing during the heat-up periods of the Iolite? The smell of butane is even mentioned in the manual if I recall. Maybe Lotus has only a slight odor added to it, I've never had a chance to purchase it, having used either Lenk in the past (not for Iolite, for lighters) or Vector now.

Funny, that bizarre 1950's radio will be SO stealthy as it suddenly kicks on its heater, which on a properly functioning Iolite, is pretty damn audible.

On the note of fuel duration, I got maybe an hour.

charliedontsurf,

frogbmth

When the iolite hisses, people think it is a walkie talkie and pay little attention. The wispr doesn't look like a walkie talkie, so for stealth I hope they made it quieter. The IO hisses very loudly IMHO. Butane smell depends on the brand you use. Manufacturers add a fake smell to the butane and some of this comes out of the exhaust. Some is much stronger than others.

As for the MFLB, it's without doubt one of the finest vapes out there. There are a few things that I don't like though. I don't like that you can't walk down the street vaping with it, you have to hold it at the right angle to keep your material in the trench. I don't like the battery insertion activation - I wish the battery was enclosed in the wooden block and there was a switch to activate it. I also hate having batteries on charge all the time, I have enough of that with e-cigarettes. However, these niggles are just my personal ones, what I expect from a vape and the way I like to use it and that does not take away from the fact that the MFLB is freakin awesome. I just wish it fit me perfectly and it doesn't. For my needs, the IO fits the bill better and I am hoping that the new model is truly the next generation.

frogbmth,

vapoMonde

Look nice and really retro.

After stay to proof if this vape is really different from their bastseller or just the simple change of the look.

Most of all the thing I wait to see is what justifie the price increase?!

Vive the first reviews...

vapoMonde,
Top Bottom