The Way of Cannabis

I guess that for me ritual is essentially at the service of intention. It promotes an atmosphere that is conducive of... whatever is important to me.

All the outward things or gestures (weed itself) are thus at the service of the inward purpose.

I found this article spelled it out simply : Cannabis Infused Intentions.

Following up on the Zen analogy, this article has insightful cconsiderations imo :
From Moment to Moment: Cannabis Awakenings
And a beautiful picture... worth a 1000 words as the saying goes...

46482029_260585064581859_7627757184918487040_n.jpg
For some reason your second link came up broken for me. I searched and found: http://www.cannabisandspirituality.com/from-moment-to-moment-cannabis-awakenings/

Nina

Love this thread:D
my ritual is very much focused on having my vaporizing 'nest' set up exactly right so that it is perfectly comfortable and safe
I use the flower pot with a water tool and I've recently started using a whip, this has really changed things for me and made it so much easier and more comfortable because I can lie back on the sofa while the water tool rests on the side table
With that distance between me and the scary hot part I can see what's going on and how much vapour there is etc.

I still miss the simplicity of just rolling up a joint and smoking it, I still do miss smoking but I'm too health conscious to do it again

Farid

I think the analogy to the tea ceremomy is very apt. That said, I think vaporizer users are more at the mercy of the tool they're using.

Where tea can be made with just a pot, I find vaporzing cannabis needs very specific tools, which can greatly alter the experience. There is a huge difference between using a vaporizer that needs stirring, versus one that needs to be repacked often, versus one that you load and just rip. Sadly I think this necessity to use a very specific tool takes away from the creativity of the experience - what I mean is that our specific vaporization ceremony is often at the mercy of the vaporizer we are using. The way I prepare to use my Omnivap is very different from how I prepare to use my Tubo.

This makes me think of vaporizing cannabis as most similar to pulling a shot of espresso. With espresso there are certain conditions that must be met for proper espresso to be made: ~9 bars of pressure, a very specific grind, a specific water temperature, and a specific ratio of coffee to water.

Whereas I think of regular coffee as more like smoking. It is much more forgiving, does not need such specific conditions, and there is less distinction between "right" and "wrong". We all know when we've combusted in a vaporizer just like a shot of bad espresso is very obvious to the palate (too sour, too watery, too bitter). Likewise, when a shot does not pull through the espresso machine because the coffee is too finely ground it is very reminiscent of when the weed in your vaporizer is too finely ground, causing airflow problems and charring. With smoking on the other hand, there is less of a "right" and "wrong" way to do it.

Just like a vaporizer user alters the grind and quantity of their weed depending on their vaporizer, a barista has to adjust the grind and quantity of beans in a shot depending on the machine.

I also find the same thing which appeals to me in a vaporizer appeals to me in an espresso maker: simplicity, well machined parts, an element of human control, and a low price of entry compared to their electronically regulated counterparts. There are a lot of similarities between the omnivap (my vaporizer of choice) and the flair espresso machine (the espresso machine I use). Both make great results with a slight leaning curve, and human control over the results: on the omni I can adjust temp by heating at different places on the cap, and on the flair I can adjust the pressure depending on how hard I push the plunger.

When using these manual devices, which put an increased amount of variables in your hands, I find it's imperative that there is consistency in the results, so that even though there is some control in my hands, I don't have to worry about getting bad results. I think the clicking cap really helps this in the omnivap, and the pressure gauge helps this very much in the flair. The devices are still unregulated, but there is a feedback that allows easy repetition.

If I look back on all the vaporizers that have been my daily drivers over the years, I notice that my usage, rituals, and habits have always changed depending on the device: with the mflb I would vape literally everywhere I went. With the Solo I would take long 10 minute breaks, and with the omnivap I take 3 minute breaks more often throuhout the day. I find the way I use the omnivap is most similar to how I used to smoke (1 hitters through a glass chillum), which is likely why it has become my daily driver. In fact I remember a time in college when I was split between wanting to vape with my MFLB, and my desire to take large one hits. What usually ended up happening is I would smoke the 1 hitters when out at parties, and the MFLB when I was hanging in my room. Finding a vaporizer that mimicked my smoking habits is what I needed to completely quit smoking.

Last edited:

MegaMan2k

Good read m8
there has def been too little focus on set and setting in cannabis consumption

Seems like a good place to ask this :

Anyone els rather vape/dab alone?

Not in the way that i stay socially isolated in order to stay alone for seshing alone,
more like : if im with a group of people in a house for instance and everyone is smoking/vaping etc, Id rather go to another room and take my rip alone , and THEN return to the group of people in like 2-5 minutes after coughing etc?

I also seem to smoke less frequently but instead takes a larger dab every 2 hours or so,

However none of my other friends seem to have this, so i wanted to ask in here

Nina

whilst I absolutely applaud your intentions as stated in the opening post @Dan Morrison I personally find it difficult to map cannabis consumption onto the Japanese arts of refinement, for me using mind altering substances has an element of hedonism and of seeking anaesthesia.
Both are rituals but I find them antithetical
There's usually not all that much mindfulness going on with me....vapor cosh more like
Maybe I'm just doing it wrong?

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@Nina , If your goal is anaesthesia, could that goal be achieved more easily by exploiting some of the philosophies taught in those Japanese arts.

For example, in Chado, the tea wisk is a perfectly designed utensil for making the best possible matcha.

You could say that your water tool is akin to the wisk, without it, it may be more difficult to achieve that level of anaesthesia youre looking for. (only guessing here)

You could of course say the same thing about anything in life...without this "insert thing" i couldn't do this other thing...

But, there is something about the sheer refinement of those Japanese arts that is inspirational... over hundreds of years of development...this one way..these very specific utensils... this is how you do it best. There is something cool about that.

Of course, I personally find that approach far too unforgiving, and it stagnates the practice...rejects innovation..etc.. Not for me! But it's an interesting thing to think about.

I think that some of the more floaty philosophical type stuff involved could be tossed, I think that I focus more on the utensils...the vaporizers and accessories. I'm a craftsman, and so I relate to the world through objects.

@Farid , I am tooottallly on board with the comparison to espresso. I have thought about that comparison for years! They're basically the same thing. hahah.

I have always thought that we could learn a lot about vaporization technique from the espresso world. Grind consistency and tamping weight are specifically interesting concepts. Grinders for herb do not achieve even consistency compared to a burr grinder for coffee beans... I have tried sorting my herb grinds through a seive to separate a perfectly even grain size...and it makes a huge difference for convection style vaporizing. The flow of water and air are not drastically different in our context.

Nina

But, there is something about the sheer refinement of those Japanese arts that is inspirational... over hundreds of years of development...this one way..these very specific utensils... this is how you do it best. There is something cool about that.
Thank you for explaining @Dan Morrison, I can see that I missed the point!
I am on board with the refinement of tools thing, very cool and interesting, the way that tools become extensions of the human body etc
and speaks to what is perhaps quintessential to humans, that we are tool makers
(well yes, corvids and what have you but not in the same ballpark surely?)

tepictoton

How to create 'an open to debate tradition' ...tradition that is allowed to flower? Hihi

That really is a tricky one me thinks.

I just hope legisation will allow and maybe even encourage the idea of craft cannabis, kinda like wine?

Also, hope it leads to some kind of consistency of the products offered.

Derailing a bit, but still. When looking at the tea ceremony, an essential part for sure is the consistency of the leaves used?

The tools used to 'get there' might still be the same though....interesting discussion. So much to explore ...

Last edited:

TiSteamo

VAPEnsiero... sull'ali dorate...
I really like this topic. Congratulations!

I do not like to consume cannabis in a hurry, as you take a pill.

I love the ritual.
The calm.
Have a lot of free time.
Being in my favorite place.
Above all, I greatly associate cannabis consumption with music.
This makes me fly in space and time.
And when I return to Earth, I feel I have learned "something".
Something useful for me and for others.

I believe that the "anxiety" issue is not only linked to the setting but also to the amount of THC present in the weed.

I ultimately enjoy it a lot more with a low amount of THC.

I have an almost "religious" approach to cannabis consumption and in this I find the rastafarian religion very fascinating. In history, cannabis and spirituality are very connected, for example I think of the Eleusinian Mysteries of ancient Greece.

It is without a doubt a beneficial substance. It is a shame what has been done to hemp for economic reasons, because with hemp you could do everything and it would have been a big hitch for the consumption of oil. Aslinger was the executor of this order: criminalize a plant!

Today we rediscover that it is a medicine.

Returning to us, my favorite situation to take cannabis is this: at home, alone, having nothing to do and a lot of free time.
Maybe it's raining outside.
I prepare a good cup of licorice, dandelion and rhubarb tea.
I play a record that I like. And I fly.

Some time ago I saw a documentary about hashish production in Morocco.
An elderly farmer interviewed said: Here everything is sweeter, honey, flowers.
When you start the day, smoke a joint.
When you finish the day, smoke a joint.
It's like going to court: you understand what you did good and what you did wrong.

It's like a psychotherapy session.

Last edited:

Vaporware

Thanks for starting this thread, Dan! I needed it this week. I have a new doctor who doesn’t understand or appreciate cannabis, and I’m on a painful t-break to help get more accurate baseline blood test results, but it is helping me to get some perspective.

Until 8-10 years ago I was in my doctor’s camp, but around that time I saw enough evidence to make me vote for medical use here. From there to about 4 1/2 years ago I thought it was helpful to some people, but not something I’d ever do even though I was already dealing with problems it could have helped with. I wish I’d known!

Once I finally reluctantly tried it, I found that I’d been very wrong about it. I quickly had to throw out everything I’d been taught about “drugs” as a kid and re-learn the facts.

Having finally given in to trying a “mind altering drug”, having no real concept of what that meant beyond what you might see in media, and having tipped the scales from fears of addiction and physical and mental harm over to real interest in what this had to offer, I was able to just let go and see what happened.

At the time I also had access to a “farmer’s market” which I still believe provided much more well rounded flower/edibles/etc. than the dispensaries I’m stuck with now, and all of that combined to give me a lot of great experiences early on. As time went on I was able to live a more normal life again, do a lot of interesting work in most aspects of film, music, etc. even try again to get a small business off the ground.

Somewhere in there though, my relationship with cannabis changed. I realize now, reading this on my first t-break of more than a day or so in more than a year, that lately I’ve been treating it too much like the NSAIDs and muscle relaxants I had to take before I found it. I basically consume what I need to feel okay and try to fight through any significant mental effects (which could be another source of the increased anxiety I’ve had with it lately).

Maybe using it that way necessary for me some of the time because I have to try to do more than just stare at psychedelic imagery and listen to Pink Floyd all day, but at the same time just using it for its physical medical benefits and ignoring (or even fighting) everything else it has to offer is taking the wrong path.

I can’t say I know exactly what The Way is either, but I can say that when this break ends I’m going to do my best to find my way back to it. :sherlock:

...and as much as I love my industrial titanium vaporizers, I think that once I have a beautifully detailed, personalized Nomad it may help me get and stay there like the tools in a tea ceremony. :love:

sarkunit

This is my way of cannabis:

First I do a series of breathing exercises to free up my lungs.

I have my Auber 300 rdk set to 400, three q tips, a 30mm opaque banger, a mini tube single perc with one inch of water, my quartz pi bubble cap, and about .2 g of badder ( I have been enjoying it above most reasonably priced concentrates in Tucson Arizona due to Terp content) ready to go on a silicon mat.

My dabber is a botched pencil tube from a local artist; where he made the tip much too thin, so that it will most certainly break any day.

I make sure that the badder glob is positioned right at the tip of the pencil.

I am wearing nothing but a blue robe and jeans.

I place the dab against the lower inside walls of the banger and begin to spin the pencil around the banger while also twirling. I have a light set and the rig positioned so that I am directly looking into the banger while doing the dab. I watch it melt completely off the pencil tip.

I cap and begin to pull, while reaching down and turning the Auber up to 490. I always enjoy watching the medicine bubble and squeak across the white surface of my banger.

I take several flavorful hits, trying to isolate the flavors and experiences on each exhale. I note on vapor density and the changing feelings in my body.

When the hit flavor begins to degrade I turn the Auber to 560. The hit that follows is very intense.

As my metabolism increases and I feel my body burst with heat, I throw off the robe behind me as I finish the dab. The cool air wicks my body as the final hit is taken.

There is not longer vapor formation as I pull, but the temperature is never above 540 yet. I reset the Auber to 400, and use all three q tips to clean the bottom and walls of the banger.

At the end of this process I am medicated, and I feel that I have fully consumed the medicine with next to no waste. I also feel that this respects the flavor of the dab, as I exhaust the Terps during the initial low temperature. This is all done without using quartz pearls, which I think rob a bit from the flavor. I have not tried a uniform hit at 480 using ruby pearls, which might be a superior experience.

Vaporware

5 day break ended*, and I’m starting to find my way back. I actually did just sit and listen to Pink Floyd for a good part of the afternoon after getting things ready with more thought and care than I’ve used in a long time, and I was able to get past anxiety that started to come up without much trouble.

As I started to want to do other things more, my girlfriend suggested putting on news and I agreed but quickly realized that would be a mistake due to the ceaseless antics of the occupants of the orange clown car. Instead we watched lighter comedy and kept anxiety at bay.

I don’t think I have to be so careful every time, but I’m pretty bad at just relaxing and not worrying about anything, so for me I think this is important to do at least some of the time.

I know that reducing or eliminating anxiety is not in itself The Way, but for me I think it’s an important part of getting there. I’ll have to work on the right balance and try different things, but I feel like I’m starting to get back on the right track. :sherlock:

*During that time I never felt more of a need for cannabis than for Aleve, etc. for anyone curious about a light-moderate daily user’s level of dependency after 4 1/2 years.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
As my metabolism increases and I feel my body burst with heat, I throw off the robe behind me as I finish the dab. The cool air wicks my body as the final hit is taken.

This imagery, hahaha!

@VaporWare I think that reducing anxiety is definitely a worthy goal in itself.

I much prefer the Chinese "gongfu" style tea brewing. It's more relaxed and experimental, no real rules, only guidelines. But you still get all those beautiful tea pots and cups and scoops..etc... and it's very much about the experience of enjoying the tea.

Lately I've been using these 15-30 minute tea sessions to reduce anxiety. Just the process of brewing requires a bit of attention... and then you get to check out the leaves...and smell..taste...sometimes I'll try to write down what I taste..etc... At the end of it I find that I'm much more relaxed and I can go about my day with less anxiety.

The same applies to many things... usually tasks that force you into the now through a bit of required attention.

With vaporizers these days, it's very much an on-demand experience. The whole thing could be over in under a minute.

I think you're right in that you can't take 30 minutes to vaporize all the time.. that's madness... but maybe once in a while, once a week maybe, sit down and reset.

I suppose it also depends on your goals with cannabis. Maybe it's just medicine to you, and that's just fine. Maybe your relaxation hobby is something completely different.

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
This is my way of cannabis:

First I do a series of breathing exercises to free up my lungs.

I have my Auber 300 rdk set to 400, three q tips, a 30mm opaque banger, a mini tube single perc with one inch of water, my quartz pi bubble cap, and about .2 g of badder ( I have been enjoying it above most reasonably priced concentrates in Tucson Arizona due to Terp content) ready to go on a silicon mat.

My dabber is a botched pencil tube from a local artist; where he made the tip much too thin, so that it will most certainly break any day.

I make sure that the badder glob is positioned right at the tip of the pencil.

I place the dab against the lower inside walls of the banger and begin to spin the pencil around the banger while also twirling. I have a light set and the rig positioned so that I am directly looking into the banger while doing the dab. I watch it melt completely off the pencil tip.

I cap and begin to pull, while reaching down and turning the Auber up to 490. I always enjoy watching the medicine bubble and squeak across the white surface of my banger.

I take several flavorful hits, trying to isolate the flavors and experiences on each exhale. I note on vapor density and the changing feelings in my body.

When the hit flavor begins to degrade I turn the Auber to 560. The hit that follows is very intense.

There is not longer vapor formation as I pull, but the temperature is never above 540 yet. I reset the Auber to 400, and use all three q tips to clean the bottom and walls of the banger.

At the end of this process I am medicated, and I feel that I have fully consumed the medicine with next to no waste. I also feel that this respects the flavor of the dab, as I exhaust the Terps during the initial low temperature. This is all done without using quartz pearls, which I think rob a bit from the flavor. I have not tried a uniform hit at 480 using ruby pearls, which might be a superior experience.
Im not really ready to respond to this excellent thread, but I feel obliged to say my engagement is less...mandarin, more Dao/Zen. More rooted, less rarified

How to create 'an open to debate tradition' ...tradition that is allowed to flower? Hihi

I just hope legisation will allow and maybe even encourage the idea of craft cannabis, kinda like wine?
I hope with you, but hope I think is best served by a strong heart and a sense of devotion, if you’ll pardon me putting it that way.

Oh, and the word for the tradition you speak of is “eclectic”: Buddhism, daoism and zen are all cultural appreciations of and approaches to mindfulness, and as such they each work as an approach, and elements of each can be made use of individually and in concert with elements of others. Not exactly mix and match, but mindfulness is about presence in the moment, so those connections can arise spontaneously.

This is all very brain, on a very not-brain train....

Last edited by a moderator:

virtualpurple

What a great thread to stumble into! It’s interesting to hear some the rituals and philosophies that people have.

I find that ritual increases my enjoyment immensely. With the vaporizers I currently own I find that I fall best into that ritual with my vapcap.

When I have an evening (or morning, or afternoon) to enjoy without demands I like to have a small area and have the tools I might need organized into a small area. I find using a mise en place approach keeps everything more relaxing. The term is a French culinary term for “everything in its place”. I’ve found it invaluable in my time as a Nurse and I recognize that I should have a bit more discipline to apply to other areas of life.

Once I have everything set, I find that I can appreciate the experience more, and I find that the process of loading and unloading the vapcap and the heating process with a torch to be quite relaxing.

Alternatively, I find that if I have things to do at home I need to adjust the routine to make sure I am productive. If I sit down and vape, I will get lost in distractions like looking at my phone, and then fall into the trap of “I’ll just have another round and then get serious,” but it just won’t happen.

However, if I start the job and wait till I’m invested before I have my first puff it keeps my momentum rolling and I remain engaged.

One of the more relaxing activities that I do at home is making dough. My mother baked bread often and I have very warm memories of watching the dough rise in a large ceramic bowl in the sunlight, covered with a bit of wax paper, watching her lay the dough onto a floured surface and form into loaves or rolls. The town I grew up in only had about 1000 residents, but I would bet that most of them received a loaf of bread at some point. She was a RN at the clinic in town, and was truly invested in the community. The two things I hear when I visit my old home are affectionate words for my mom followed by people reminiscing about her bread.

When I began to start making my own bread in my mid-twenties I started to realize that the process is very relaxing, even therapeutic. That then turned to pizza, which has become a passion, sometimes an obsession. Whether I am mixing entirely by hand or using a mixer to form the initial dough by hand, it is a very zen process for me. I don’t need to use cannabis to love the process, but I definitely find it an incredible compliment.

@ataxian I’d love to hear your thoughts in this thread, I know you enjoy cannabis and a good book!

@Dan Morrison thank you for creating this thread, it has made for a very enjoyable read!

Top Bottom