The VXL EVO vs. The Sublimator - Adapt a Bong edition. Compared

weedemon

enthusiast
I still love my EVO and the Sub, but for convenience I prefer the evo.
- I feel a lot safer using it.
- I don't have to adjust the temp to maximise my extractions (whereas with the sub, i'd have to wait 5-10 for the sub to change temp(up or down), to really get the most out of my herbs.)
- I also love that I can bring my evo along with me easily when I go visiting to a friends place or whatnot. with the sub i'd have to wait for it to cool before I can pack it up and that takes like 30 min or so... "ain't nobody got time for that!"

because of this I find the sub hasn't been used as of too recent. It's still a rockin vape though! :) for me though, the EVO just has the edge because of all of it's convenience on top of it's performance.

Why do we insist on using this word, which is usually reserved for talking about dry ice how it goes from a solid to a gas without becoming a liquid first? Calling reclaim 'sublimate' seems strange...what am I missing?

you are correct, I think the sub is just a vape really too. It's unique, but it's still a vape. :)

regarding the oil it produces from it's use. the inventor called the oil "sublimate" and it kinda just stuck. don't think of it as the scientific definition of what the word means. rather, a name to call something that isn't quite kickass BHO, yet it's a darn sight better than the standard vapor reclaim oil that I make. so it kinda needs a new name to refer to it as.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
If sublimation if going from a solid to a gas (bypassing the liquid phase), or in this case from flowers to vapor, can we not just call it what it really is... vaporization? Why do we insist on using this word, which is usually reserved for talking about dry ice how it goes from a solid to a gas without becoming a liquid first? Calling reclaim 'sublimate' seems strange...what am I missing?

you're not missing a thing. it's been beat up in several places in this forum. you are right on the money, but we still use sublimate to mean the reclaim from a sublimator, but it's not universal by any means.

jdee

Thanks for clearing that up, it sounds like decarboxylated oil that is most likely high in CBN due to having been previously heated at vaping temps, I enjoy this for night time as it's sedative.

Also great review, super excited to receive my EVO, it's in the mail, OG ticker still going strong. For me personally the reason I had no interest in the sub as a vaping device I would want to own is because I was already so satisfied with the cloud as a desktop unit I couldn't convince myself I needed something so pricey and experimental (first release). The fact that the device can also do surprise body modifications in the form of burns/scars is also a deal breaker when considering it's going to be used by people under the influence.

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
Thanks for clearing that up, it sounds like decarboxylated oil that is most likely high in CBN due to having been previously heated at vaping temps, I enjoy this for night time as it's sedative.

Yeah this is the only thing I can think.

I recently did a big reclaim and tried to purge it even further in the oven. I think it had the same effect, changed my reclaim from a golden color to more of a redish color.

Interested in hearing others theory on why "sublimate" is different.

I've been consuming sublimate with one of these lately.

How does it taste out of the there? I've been wanting to snag an oil kit but have been collecting glass lately. I really hate using a nail + torch, don't even know if I'm doing it right, taste terrible. Taste fine when topping a bowl of flowers though.

Tweak,
Reactions: grokit

Breathemetal

If sublimation if going from a solid to a gas (bypassing the liquid phase), or in this case from flowers to vapor, can we not just call it what it really is... vaporization? Why do we insist on using this word, which is usually reserved for talking about dry ice how it goes from a solid to a gas without becoming a liquid first? Calling reclaim 'sublimate' seems strange...what am I missing?

People call it that because it comes from the Sublimator (even though idk why they even call the device that since its not TRUE sublimation)

Breathemetal,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
Personally, I don't care 'what' they call it, as I don't really have a name for the 'effect' I get off of it.... and FUCKED UP just doesnt sound as appealing a name for a device :lol:

smokum,
Reactions: weedemon

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
you're not missing a thing. it's been beat up in several places in this forum. you are right on the money, but we still use sublimate to mean the reclaim from a sublimator, but it's not universal by any means.
The friction was created, in part, by the inventor coming into this community with a mixed message that was part marketing and part "science lesson". Sublimation was not the only technical term abused imho, atomization has been as well. I feel the Sub is a fractional condenser (oil maker), not an atomizer, but at this point what difference does it make? We learned a lot in the process. One final thing I wish to see is a lab analysis of some flower and then an analysis of the sublimate it creates so we can see what is going where. I suspect it (sublimate) will be full of the heavier, higher boiling point, materials CBDs etc . . .

grokit

well-worn member
The friction was created, in part, by the inventor coming into this community with a mixed message that was part marketing and part "science lesson". Sublimation was not the only technical term abused imho, atomization has been as well. I feel the Sub is a fractional condenser (oil maker), not an atomizer, but at this point what difference does it make? We learned a lot in the process. One final thing I wish to see is a lab analysis of some flower and then an analysis of the sublimate it creates so we can see what is going where. I suspect it (sublimate) will be full of the heavier, higher boiling point, materials CBDs etc . . .

I was thinking that the sublimator could be using not just convection and conduction, but also radiation, and this last type of heat transfer may be partially responsible for this separation process as well.

vorrange

Vapor.wise
CBD has a boiling point of 185C, there are other cannabinoids with boiling points at up to 250Celsius.

What i don't understand is, and pardon me if this is stupid but, what is the reclaim exactly? Cannabinoids that got "caught" along the way? Why is it that most reclaim is higher in sedative cannabinoids and not THC and other more euphoric cannabinoids? Is it because terpenes have such low boiling points (roughly 150Celsius) ? I know THC oxidates with heat and some of it "becomes" CBN so that might account for that.

People say sublimate is very tasty so there are terpenes there too.

And why is sublimate so different from reclaim? Is it because there is no plant matter?

so many questions... so little testing done yet.

grokit

well-worn member
The separation of the higher temp stuff for later consumption may also
help to explain why sublimator flower hits are so damn tasty :spliff:

grokit,

weedemon

enthusiast
my sublimate is a shatter/thick brittle consistency. it's reddish (every time, doesn't matter the strain so far).

it's vapor that has re-condensed inside the atomizer and then dripped out on it's own accord later.

I very rarely see any "contaminants" or particulate in it and it's consistency is that of the kind of oil I like best :)

regarding taste, it tastes pretty good, but it's definitely not for the terps the same way as some first run BHO. Personally though, the fact is though, to make it, it doesn't have any solvents/chemicals to make it means it's a winner to me.

it would be awesome to see a chemical analysis of sublimate to see what is all in there :)

weedemon,
Reactions: vorrange

vorrange

Vapor.wise
That red colour could be from a specific cannabinoid right? That could be a nice clue to find out what is in the sublimate. In terms of effects is it different from vaping abv bho?

vorrange,

weedemon

enthusiast
I do remember the ABV bho was harsh on the throat compared to sublimate! sublimate also tastes better. I think you are right saying that red colour is an indicator of something. if you gave me the chose between the 2, i'd pick sublimate instantly.
so im leaning towards sublimate being better. but i'm not sure if it's simply for taste and smoothness or also including potency... I feel sublimate is much more pure than abv bho, as it's full of particulate.

effects wise though, it's been too long and I can't really remember to say. it would be much better to have a bit of both on hand and then compare.

weedemon,
Top Bottom