Discontinued The Venus Apollo

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
Woke up to a shipping notice this morning.
Very excited getting my space suit ready for orbit.
Fellow apollonaut preparing for first mission
Woooooo hooooooo
That's fantastic news! Let us know when it arrives. You got a lot of infos for having a great first take off! Enjoy the view and peace from up there! :)

Milkytime

Shout out to @villekille2 for a great vape and getting it into our hands in a very reasonable amount of time. No over hype before release, no huge long pre-order line set up before the unit was done. Just a solid vape, delivering everything promised and on schedule.

When i first got my shipping notice was through the venus apollo website, but i dont think DHL had picked it up yet. I'm just informing you that you might still have time to adjust you're order before DHL gets it if you wanted too. I myself kinda wanted to get a few other accessories i had not purchased on my original order and was considering contacting ville about a few adjustments but then got the shipping notice and thought it was too late already.

Last edited:

GTAVaper

Yes.....I have to agree that this was definitely a very smooth launch of an awesome vape! No buttons to break down, a touch pad that re-calibrates with every new install of fresh batteries, a very intuitive interface and some very smart programming went into providing some very nice customization of warmup, and boost features as well as two alternate power maps that I think will work very well with a higher powered bulb (lower power mapping)

This vaporizer literally came out of nowhere for me and wasn't even on the radar for any vaporizer "wish list" of mine. It was also the last placed order of all my pre-orders but was actually the first one that arrived.

I also think that this vape is the closest to a portable log on the market right now. I say this because a log is not on-demand heat up.....and the Apollo isn't quite either but will "heat soak" the wooden body just like a log but performs even better than my Underdog. My Underdog will certainly get some love and attention in the future but it is the Apollo that I would want to use to extract several chambers quickly over a period of 20-30 minutes to medicate a group of 4-6......and then shut off to cool since with constant usage it does get pretty hot from about the 30 minute point onwards.

Not to sound like a broken record, but aside from some potential performance improvements or on-demand type usage with a higher wattage bulb.....the only things about this vaporizer that could use improvement is something to protect the user from a hot chamber, a slightly redesigned back plate to help with improved cooling of the unit and a little taller battery cap to improve the ease of switching out batteries.

I use it solely with a water tool since that is the only way that I vape at home.......but I will be trying out a whip connection, the Mighty cooling unit and maybe a small inline bubbler to see how it performs without any large glass piece to connect it to. The connections are also kind of cool since it is very modifiable and I love the fact that the original mouthpiece fits around an 18mm male end with a fairly air tight connection.

I don't really consider this to be a quick discreet unit for public use but rather as I said a home portable log that performs as well as any top tier plug in vaporizer that I've ever used......actually even better - since I haven't used anything else that preserves the taste so well.

I also really do enjoy the aesthetics and user interface of the device as well.....which is just the icing on the cake.

Last edited:

Milkytime

This vaporizer literally came out of nowhere for me and wasn't even on the radar for any vaporizer "wish list" of mine. It was also the last placed order of all my pre-orders but was actually the first one that arrived.
I agree 100% here i hadent a clue about the apollo, and was my last placed pre-order, but first to arrive. I think i got mine only 1-2 weeks off of the projected schedule, and as we all know vape pre-orders have gotten pretty bloody. I honestly expected this to be a lot father out as far as production and getting the product to costumer. So many delays and missed dates (or outright lies) from other company's, but not here, full transperancy.

vapognak

Not to sound like a broken record, but aside from some potential performance improvements or on-demand type usage with a higher wattage bulb.....the only things about this vaporizer that could use improvement is something to protect the user from a hot chamber
I'd listen to your broken record over and over!
I'm currently struggling with a saw I just bought to cut a balsa piece of wood in order to make the puzzle piece around the chamber...
Man, I wish I was a carpenter or something.

GTAVaper

The long mouthpiece is absolutely necessary for a Solo stem mod......which is the best way that I've found to use this vaporizer. Otherwise you would have to cut down the Solo stem to fit into the short Apollo tube.

Also with the long tube it raises the Apollo to the perfect height above my glassware to rest my elbow on the table and hold the Apollo in my hand at the naturally resulting height and feather the boost button with my thumb.

I hope that it is only a stock issue as I would probably pick up another long tube (or two) in the future since it is my preferred way to vape.

If you are using the stock herb chamber then you might actually prefer the short tube since it sleeves over an 18mm male end and would keep the vaporizer closer to the glassware.

AtomicPB

Woke up to a shipping notice this morning.
Very excited getting my space suit ready for orbit.
Fellow apollonaut preparing for first mission
Woooooo hooooooo

I got my shipping confirmation on friday. :)

I had the unrealistic hope for the Apollo to arrive on saturday. It did not, but now I have something that sweetens the start of the week instead. :D

Can not wait to test it with some freshly harvested Super Skunk. I will report after I had the opportunity to enjoy it.

GTAVaper

Hello Milkytime,

I love your avatar by the way!

I highly recommend that you seal the back air opening with a strip of silicone - even with the stock herb chamber I am getting much, much thicker clouds at power level 6 or 7.

With the Solo stem mod I leave it on power level 4 or 5 and hit boost for anywhere from between 5 and 7 seconds before hitting it and keep the boost on while drawing. But this is only when I want to move up from my initial usage setting which is level 5. I don't even insert my stem until after the warmup period either before starting to vape. It takes perhaps one draw before the clouds roll in thick.....and then also most times on the second half of the first draw.

It is impossible to see through the glass chamber at all when I do this and with the water piece that I am using (DHGate, Yingmin - Stereo Mobius clone) the glass chamber is white-walled and you can't see through it at all.

I don't know if I'll ever do the video thing but my results are more on par with "Pictures Of Pot" video.....and even thicker due to the Solo stem mod.

I had intended to set up an Imgur account to post some pics this weekend.....and I may yet do so - but I am also feeling kind of lazy this weekend too. Maybe I will invite a friend over to video the Solo stem mod in action......I suspect that it is similar to the ENano stem mod in performance for anyone that is using that glass stem.

But the advantages of the Solo stem is that it already has a permanent glass screen that provides more than enough room for your herbs......but I also place a SS screen on top of this as well.

Milkytime

yeah i bought some silicone hose to cut up and was trying to think of a good way to attach it to the back plate without glue tape ect.
Rubber bands?

i also agree modded i could white wall no prob just need a bit more experimenting :)

Milkytime,

PPN

Volute of Vapor
This video reminds me the weak vapor I got with my "defective" Venus, too much air and not enough goodies for me, although I remenber to see better vapor in this thread!

Apollo is a jewel in the vape world, awesome craftmanship but I have doubts about performances (maybe cause my past "bad" experience, not so bad in fact cause Ville is a great guy!).

GTAVaper

yeah i bought some silicone hose to cut up and was trying to think of a good way to attach it to the back plate without glue tape ect.
Rubber bands?

i also agree modded i could white wall no prob just need a bit more experimenting :)

No rubber bands. Just buy a PZ1 screwdriver and remove the back plate. Remove the screens and cut your silicone to fit the same space. Screw it back up again and you are done.

The draw will be more restricted and the Apollo will heat up quicker and retain heat better because the silicone would also prevent additional cooling airflow over the bulb.

If you have a long tube then the Solo mod will also help provide the necessary restriction......perhaps I will remove the silicone and test it with just the Solo stem mod alone and see how it performs. This might help me address the heat issues that occur for long sessions....i.e., after 20 minutes and longer - be very careful around the back plate....it is very hot!

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I highly recommend that you seal the back air opening with a strip of silicone - even with the stock herb chamber I am getting much, much thicker clouds at power level 6 or 7.

This video reminds me the weak vapor I got with my "defective" Venus, too much air and not enough goodies for me, although I remenber to see better vapor in this thread!

I had thoughts along those lines from the very first reviews tbh... If everyone so far has to cover that back intake, maybe a revision of the model is in order? Although nobody was able to explain to me clearly why you can't achieve the exact same result by self-regulating your draw speed.

The maker confirmed that the dilution is before the bowl and not after, so I fail to see why this is such a problem in theory. But in practice, everyone seems to prefer with an added restriction of some kind. I'd love to see a revision with some kind of sliding door to adjust that intake from full to closed. Something like a diaphragm or just a sliding wooden piece with holes of increasing diameter... Or well, just shut the damn thing for good if that makes more sense!

I had intended to set up an Imgur account to post some pics this weekend.

You can upload images anonymously without requiring any account on that site. I think they retain the pictures the same.

Milkytime

I am going to try restricting the airflow, but honestly the added extra air is kinda nice for someone like me with asthma i think it is helping cool the vapor.
Also i wouldn't judge the the video i posted vapor production too much like i said before first video and its on a shitty cam, i didn't set up my lighting well, and i need a better backdrop. I was blowing the vapor all different directions because again first attempt at anything like that. It really doesn't showcase what i wanted to correctly.

Last edited:

GTAVaper

I've used it both ways and there is not a noticeable difference between the vapor temperatures with and without the restricted backplate mod. The vapor is hot in both configurations......just more dense with the mod.

The amount of restriction is minimal and the restriction when testing the system empty (nested glass tubes and loaded bowl sitting on glassware by itself and outside of the Apollo unit) doesn't really change from when it is inserted into the Apollo.

I test it with the Solo tube loaded up, the bottom half of the herb chamber sitting around the Solo bowl and then the Solo tube nested in the Apollo tube and sitting on an 18mm male end - without even being inserted in the Apollo. I then pull through the glassware and the restriction is no different than when I sleeve that arrangement through the Apollo and then draw.

That is why I said earlier that with the Solo mod - I might try it now without the silicone blocking the backplate because I have introduced a restriction point further down the air path and removing the silicone might help with cooling the back end and hopefully wouldn't impact the performance that I've learned to expect and appreciate.

I actually unload the stem and the chamber by pulling it out of the end of the Apollo afterward - rather than tipping it out of the breech - since the bottom half of the herb chamber fits nicely around the Solo's glass bowl.

It wasn't the visible vapor that you may have been blowing off camera that let's me know that you weren't getting optimum performance from your Apollo. It was the amount of vapor that was visible in the chamber.

When the Apollo is working at optimum you literally can't see through the chamber at all due to the vapor density. Get a PZ1 driver and try the silicone mod.....with a stock herb chamber set up it is a must for best performance. If you have a Solo stem and some silicone tubing to make the modded bowl setup then a silicone blocking piece at the back plate might not be necessary.

That is the beauty of the Apollo - it is basically a very powerful halogen heat source and operates like a portable log but also with a more heat radiation coming from the bulb than with a log's SS heater - the rest is all about playing with the airflow of this heated air through your herbs by way of whatever mod that you choose that will restrict the vapor path at some point along the way.

If you don't have the materials available to make a glass stem mod (whether it be Solo stem, ENano stem/screen, 18mm glass or LSV wand (with Arizer elbow screens) - 14mm glass joint is too narrow) then the stock herb chamber still works very well when the backplate is sealed up to help restrict the airflow.

It's fun to experiment with ......ideally a thicker backplate with more surface area and a sliding piece to choose your airflow restriction would be the ultimate solution. But this solution may also be cost prohibitive to manufacture as I don't know what these additional manufacturing costs might be......and even in the absence of this "ultimate" solution.......the vape does perform extremely well when modded to your taste.

I highly recommend a glass bowl mod of some sort......perhaps even an LSV transfer wand would work well too? I was thinking of trying this for dry hits since it is such a long glass wand.....but the shipping ended up costing the same price as the wand itself. Also this vape was made to be run through water......I don't believe that the density of the vapor that it is capable of producing could be inhaled without the assistance of water cooling.

Here are a couple of videos where the stock herb chamber is used - I'm not sure whether this user "Pictures Of Pot" (YouTube/Instagram) has blocked the air screen on their backplate or not and perhaps they have also posted in this thread under a different FC name. If they have then perhaps they could let us know whether those videos were taken with or without the backplate being restricted.

However, I am getting even thicker clouds then what this video shows (through a larger glass chamber volume as well) when I want them with the Solo stem mod. If you aren't getting comparable results to the ones in these two videos then I would suggest blocking the backplate air intake with silicone.

When tuned in correctly the Apollo delivers the heaviest clouds that I've seen from any vaporizer (short of the smoke of combustion) .....actually the clouds that I've seen the torch based Supreme Vaporizer produce in some of the better YouTube videos (such as IamKrazy2's) would be comparable.

I've included a link to this review as the last video. My Apollo can produce very similarly dense clouds with the Solo tube mod and the backplate air intake blocked with silicone. Also with very good flavour that you can taste as still being fresh.....and also gauge the remaining extraction available through the taste as you draw.

But be careful.....it is still possible to combust if you push too far - which you will be tempted to do since you CAN take it so close to combustion. I combusted a second time recently and then changed out the water but then didn't clean the glass Solo stem.

When I loaded a fresh bowl the next day I was getting a burnt ashy taste that I didn't understand since the bowl was fresh and when I removed it to check it I realized that although the herb was still green and fresh - that the glass stem and bowl itself still stunk like an ashtray from my misadventures of the night before......which was being carried through and coming out in the taste of the vapor even though the vapor itself was very far from combusting.

A dirty combusted stem will also not provide you with the proper cues to impending combustion either since running clean vapor through a dirty stem will make the vapor taste slightly combusted already

It was too bad this occurred because I had to then ISO wash it clean and get rid of that nice golden vapor buildup that I was looking forward to harvesting with a cream/milk bath in a small slow cooker.

When I do this I combined 10% cream and whole milk 50-50 and let it soak in the small fondue sized slow cooker on the lowest heat setting for about an hour and stir occasionally until all the oils have floated to the surface and mixed into the milk-cream broth. The smell and taste of this concoction is incredible and would be ruined with the effects of combustion in the stem buildup.

Oh well, the Apollo really builds that golden haze very quickly due to the vapor density that is possible to be pushed through the Solo stem and I'm sure that if I'm careful not to push it too far and combust again that I will soon have another glazed stem to harvest.

Last edited:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Also this vape was made to be run through water......I don't believe that the density of the vapor that it is capable of producing could be inhaled without the assistance of water cooling.

Honnestly I don't think so. We barely use any water bongs on the Old Continent you know, it's a cultural thing. Besides, I have strictly no interest in that and use all my vapes dry. So is it possible that the restriction would be needed only when used in your particular setup and not when using dry?

All your solutions seem to include some effin' silicone and some people around here already know how I hate that bloody stuff! This is why (if indeed a fix is really needed) I would like @villekille2 to try working on some alternative system, and if possible included in a future dot 1 revision so all users woud benefit from it.

tepictoton

How about a rotating plate at the intake below that gives the user the option of a more open or closed Airflow?

Kind of like the Rings used in e-cigarettes tanks to open and close Airflow.

I imagine this could be easily implemented?

tepictoton,
Reactions: AtomicPB

GTAVaper

Honnestly I don't think so. We barely use any water bongs on the Old Continent you know, it's a cultural thing. Besides, I have strictly no interest in that and use all my vapes dry. So is it possible that the restriction would be needed only when used in your particular setup and not when using dry?

All your solutions seem to include some effin' silicone and some people around here already know how I hate that bloody stuff! This is why (if indeed a fix is really needed) I would like @villekille2 to try working on some alternative system, and if possible included in a future dot 1 revision so all users woud benefit from it.

I have used it dry and the wide open air path is not conducive to controlling air flow through the herb chamber.

You could perform all the mods without silicone if you are that sensitive to it.....but the way I've used it ..it is not in the flow path of any hot vapor flow.

But you could cut a SS plate to fit the bottom air hole, use a carved wooden door to protect yourself from potential burns from the herb chamber and cut a piece of Ss tubing to sleeve into the herb chamber bottom piece so you can fit a Solo tube through it and use cork as a spacer for the top of the Solo stem

I've performed my mods to satisfy my needs.....if you are overly sensitive to silicone then you'll have to find your own solutions. The only problem I've encountered with silicone was my experiment with the flexicone mod.....and that was because this placed silicone directly into a very hot vapor path. This was actually the only time that I could even come close to understanding someone's aversion to silicone as I could taste an unpleasant addition to the vapor and also smell the hot silicone in a way that I've never ever noticed through a silicone whip.

As for water tool usage ......I would highly recommend this for ANY vape. I have a Mighty, well known for its cool vapor and I, or anyone for that matter, will always be able to take in a lot more vapor through water.

When I say that this vape is made for water what I am saying is that with the density of the vapor that this cloud machine is capable of producing as well as the heat of that vapor that you would never be able to inhale the same volume of hot dense vapor without water treatment.

Sure you will be able to inhale whatever amount of vapor that you are capable of untreated hot vapor but this will never come close to the amount of vapor that is possible to extract through water cooling.

I suppose that I would care more about dry cooling of vapor if I would want to use it that way.....but that just doesn't make sense to me when I have perfectly good water pieces available for use.

I have the Mighty....and the cooling unit looks like it might just fit perfectly on top of the Apollo tube......but I haven't even tried this because it doesn't make any sense to me to downgrade my vaping experience by forgoing the use of water conditioning.

An LSV wand might work well for you.....but I'm not going to try it if shipping costs the same amount as the wand. Or you could purchase your own quartz tubing of the same sizing for about $55 USD for a 4' section and then cut it down. Or have a custom vapor tamer made with internal cooling tubes to help reduce the airflow and glycerin so that you could put it in the freezer and have additional vapor cooling in that manner.

I did have a friend take a few videos yesterday and have pics showing all my mods that I will try to get up this week.

When you see the vapor flow from the Solo stem mod and how quickly it takes to milk dual chambers (DHGate stereo Mobius matrix & large ashcatcher) in just 3-4 seconds then you will understand why I said that this vaporizer was made for water tool usage.

There is no way anyone could inhale that kind of crazy dense vapor flow if the heat of the vapor hadn't been cooled and conditioned through water.

Last edited:

vapognak

I swear I've tried, more than once...
mvRcW6I.jpg

... and failed miserably.

Back to square 1, with the coke can :mad:

I'm ready to pay anyone with the skill to make a closing door that fits :ninja:

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
Would be great to have some tiny but powerful neodymium magnets to glue on both sides on the outside of the body and attach some kind of nice looking leather sleeve to it.
Just an imagination - then again, what about magnets interfering with electronics? :\

GTAVaper

OK.....already have a Google account so opened up a new channel and uploaded three videos. Between the three videos you will be able to see the function of the Apollo with full heatup done without the herb chamber in place. So full convection extraction is taking place......absolutely no conduction vaping.

In the third video you will see my preferred way of loading and unloading the Solo stem mod. I do it right through the Apollo mouthpiece porthole.

Since the silicone wrapped Solo bowl is tightly encased in the lower portion of the herb chamber it stays put very well while both loading and unloading through the top mouthpiece port rather than through the side breech.

I actually forgot to attach the silicone heat protection mods and will sometime in the future take the time to upload some of the still photo's......and maybe do another video with strong light aimed towards a pure black background - rather than against my silvery-gray curtains.....which is about the worst to view and video vapor against .....although there still is a lot of vapor shown even without this technique or by blowing vapor directly at the camera - which wasn't done in any of the videos.

The first video with the view of the glassware from a distance will show how quickly the chamber milks off of a first draw of a fresh chamber with temp at power level 5 and some boosting done prior to and during inhalation draw.

You can see the silicone spacer piece wrapping the Solo stem light up in the Apollo mouthpiece from the boost light and watch closely the vapor stream.....as well as the speed at which the two chambers are filled......in about 3 seconds after you see the bubbles forming indicating the beginning of the inhalation.....and the only reason that it takes this long is because you can't see the large ash-catcher portion filling first.

When you watch the last video though you can see the speed that the ash-catcher fills at before the camera moves just prior to clearing the glassware. But in that very short period, the DHMobius has also completely milked up as well just like in the first video.

This vape can whitewall glassware with extremely dense vapor in a very short period of time.

Enjoy......SWIM sure did ;) :D

Note: These are "unlisted" videos that can't be linked.....except only by sharing the URL

Last edited:
Top Bottom