The Vape Pen - reviewed

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
jambandphan03 said:
I might be stirring the pot (no pun intended) but I decided to peel the sticker label off the box for my vape-pen mini, and this was the logo I found under the label...

http://esmoke.en.ecplaza.net/9.asp

I have no doubt that these guys have figured out how to reprogram the microprocessor by accessing the firmware, and lowering the temperature, but the parts are being shipped in from China non the less. Maybe they are having them specially made directly in the factory (speculation) I don't know what I plan to accomplish by posting this here, other than the fact that I discovered it the other day and I feel like sharing my discovery.

Moe, I hope you don't take this personally, I am not trying to attack the V-P, just want to know if they are being honest with their customers. I have no doubt that the liquid meds have been long in development, and I am glad somebody out there is providing a means for patients to consume their medication in such a way, it not only seems like a safe way to medicate, but is also fun and discrete. I am all for that. But it is just an altered e-cig.
I think this has been covered in previous posts and now I'll get accused of repeating information or "defending the company". But I'll do it anyway, since you asked : ;)

Yes, it uses e-cig parts. Yes, they have been significantly altered. It's absolutely not just a re-labeled e-cig if that's what you're wondering. I assure you.

Yes, Vape-Pen is being honest with its customers.

Some of the parts are exactly the same as e-cigs (I think) and are made in China while some other parts are different and made in other places. But the manufacturing partners have achieved ISO 9001 certification, as Vape-Pen, the company, is very concerned about providing a healthy non-toxic product. Doctors have even prescribed it for their seriously ill patients.

By the way, that box in your provided url looks nothing like the box mine came in. Where did you get yours? I ask because there have been some bootleggers selling fake crappy vape-pens. I'll pass this post along to Vape-Pen and let him comment on whether or not your box was legit. If you want you can pm me about where you got it. If you got it from the Vape-Pen web site then it's legit of course, but I just have not seen any boxes like that. (Remember, I don't work for the company, so I very well may not have seen every box they have used. I know they have changed a few things since the beginning.) A photo of your pen and of the box as it came - more or less - would be helpful in determining if it's legit - that is, like I say, if you did not order it from http://www.vape-pen.com/shop/. If you did, then I guess you just got an older box.

Maybe tomorrow or soon I'll show a photo of my box. I did publish a photo of my pen in the first post of this thread. Although now they say Vape Pen on the pen.

MoeOnTheMoon,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I ordered it directly from the V-P website, and still have the emails and paypal records, it had V-P labels that look just like the pictures on the website, it's the 84mm mini that they offer. I can take a photo of the box I got, but it has the label torn off, so you can not see much of the V-P logo anymore, just the sticky white paper left behind and the e-smoke logo under it. I hope I didn't get a fake v-p, with the what I spent on it. The reason I took the stickers off, I just wanted to use the box for other storage purposes and accidentally discovered the logo under the v-p label.

I'm not sure how to post pics in this forum...

jambandphan03,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
jambandphan03 said:
I ordered it directly from the V-P website, and still have the emails and paypal records, it had V-P labels that look just like the pictures on the website, it's the 84mm mini that they offer. I can take a photo of the box I got, but it has the label torn off, so you can not see much of the V-P logo anymore, just the sticky white paper left behind and the e-smoke logo under it. I hope I didn't get a fake v-p, with the what I spent on it. The reason I took the stickers off, I just wanted to use the box for other storage purposes and accidentally discovered the logo under the v-p label.

I'm not sure how to post pics in this forum...
No, if you ordered it from the web site, then it's the real thing! No need for pix. The reason it's a different box is that I have not had nor seen the "mini". You can rest assured it's real if you got it from the site. ;) And that means it is manufactured to do no harm. :)

Just to offer some assurance of quality, the HighArt99 Collective in Venice is selling these really well, they have ordered more, and may be offering some promotions in the near future. They have had no issues with malfunctioning or anything like that; otherwise they would not be buying more! Anyone who's interested in seeing one work or buying one (not sure you can actually sample the liquids, but you can watch someone else using it) can go to this collective on Friday evenings when the Vape-Pen girl is usually there. Not sure what her hours are otherwise; you might call and ask before going. Oh, and they have a beautiful art gallery, too, and sell edibles, herb, accessories... and the vape-pen in the dispensary area!

MoeOnTheMoon,

Jameson420

MY VAPE PEN REVIEW:

I came across this forum when I was looking for information about the Vape-Pen. It's a relatively new pen-like device (for marijuana) and it seemed like a great concept. Smoke anywhere / anytime without attracting attention is something I see a lot of value in. I've read through all the speculation on this forum and still think this is a great device. I could care less if this product wasn't fully manufactured in the USA. Fact is MOST of everything we used today isn't. Almost every speculation made about this product has been based on opinions as no one really had a chance to review this product correctly with both the actual Vape-Pen and the authentic liquids themselves. So I took it upon myself to purchase both and post my review.

I bought my Vape-Pen Ultra ( a little larger than the mini) from Nice Dreams Collective in Anaheim, CA. I think it is also important to note that I DO NOT know nor work with anyone involved with Vape-Pen so you can be assured that my review is not biased. I'm just your average guy who came accross this site and wanted to try a new product.

With that said, the very first thing I did when I received my Vape-Pen was to rip off the label to see if the "E-Cig" logo was under it. It was NOT. After peeling off the entire label, I found nothing but the black surface of the box and the white residue left from the label. Off to a good start. After taking a few rips, I've noticed that it delivers a very smooth and tasteful hit. The vapor is extremely light - there are times when it seems like nothing comes out when you exhale but you can definitely taste it. It's definitely easy on the lungs. Much smoother than the Volcano in my opinion.

I can't say that I felt much of a "high" effect. If anything it was more body leaving my mind completely clear. This is something you can use during the day. I did feel a sense of relaxation and optimism I think is important to note. I'm sure it will effect people differently based on personal tolerances. I smoke about 1/2 - 1g a day myself. I'm not exactly sure if that's a lot or a little - I'll let you decide.

In conclusion, I think this is a great product for the right occasion. It's not something I would use to replace my bong or Volcano on any day but it's definitely convenient for the times you don't want the attention that comes with it.

Jameson420,

MacRadish

Jameson420 said:
but you can definitely taste it.
Taste what?

What does it TASTE like? Rips from a bong? Rips from an SSV? VG? Bowl of hash?

I am curious because THe-Cig e-juice I have made when vaped tastes like combusting hash.

MacRadish,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
MacRadish said:
Jameson420 said:
Taste what?

I am curious because THe-Cig e-juice I have made when vaped tastes like combusting hash.
I realize you are asking Jameson420 but since I also have vape-pen experience, I will tell you that it tastes delicious! To me, it tastes better than any other method of vaping. It has a very sweet good flavor - better than my MZ, better than my Launch Box, better than my VG in terms of pure flavor. It has the taste of the Blue Dream strain but even better than when I vape the Blue Dream in a vaporizer like the MZ or LB.

By the way, I agree that the "high" is different as well. As Jameson420 said, it is lighter and more of a "well being" as opposed to being vaked. Great for daytime use when you have things to get done.

This is why I use it often when I go shopping. Going shopping stresses me out and makes me anxious - the people, the fluorescent lights, the noise, the lines, the crowdedness - and when I take a few puffs from the Vape-Pen before going in, I feel more relaxed and able to handle it.

Otherwise, I agree with Jameson420 almost entirely. Good to hear a completely unbiased review from someone who is using it with the liquid meds provided for use with it (though this is not the first I've heard, by a long shot - but the first to appear here!)

MoeOnTheMoon,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
MoeOnTheMoon said:
MacRadish said:
Jameson420 said:
Taste what?

I realize you are asking Jameson420 but since I also have vape-pen experience, I will tell you that it tastes delicious! To me, it tastes better than any other method of vaping. It has a very sweet good flavor - better than my MZ, better than my Launch Box, better than my VG in terms of pure flavor. It has the taste of the Blue Dream strain but even better than when I vape the Blue Dream in a vaporizer like the MZ or LB. Taste is one area where the Vape-Pen really excels.

By the way, I agree that the "high" is different as well. As Jameson420 said, it is lighter and more of a "well being" as opposed to being vaked. Great for daytime use when you have things to get done.

This is why I use it often when I go shopping. Going shopping stresses me out and makes me anxious - the people, the fluorescent lights, the noise, the lines, the crowdedness - and when I take a few puffs from the Vape-Pen before going in, I feel more relaxed and able to handle it.

Otherwise, I agree with Jameson420 almost entirely. Good to hear a completely unbiased review from someone who is using it with the liquid meds provided for use with it (though this is not the first I've heard, by a long shot - but the first to appear here!)

MoeOnTheMoon,

Jameson420

The taste is a little hard to describe. It actually tastes almost exactly like the liquid smells which would explain our different experiences. It tastes almost like a pleasant smelling cleaning solution. My girlfriend actually thought the taste was initially because the device was so new that it might have been cleaned with something before packaging. Then I smelled the liquids. It's not a bad taste or smell by any means, it hits almost like the volcano but without the dull taste - this has like a sweetened taste to it. It's actually very nice. I can only compare it to those flavored air places which I'm sure aren't very common. The liquid I had used was Supreme Blue Dream which is a Sativa. I've read somewhere that the actual plant will have some influence on the taste itself, although I don't have any other strains of liquids to confirm. I've been told that they are working on Purple, Cheese, and Pineapple Kush strains to be extracted into liquids soon. I will be getting these also when they are available and I'll be sure to post my findings.

Jameson420,

Jameson420

MoeOnTheMoon said:
MoeOnTheMoon said:
MacRadish said:
Taste what?

I realize you are asking Jameson420 but since I also have vape-pen experience, I will tell you that it tastes delicious! To me, it tastes better than any other method of vaping. It has a very sweet good flavor - better than my MZ, better than my Launch Box, better than my VG in terms of pure flavor. It has the taste of the Blue Dream strain but even better than when I vape the Blue Dream in a vaporizer like the MZ or LB. Taste is one area where the Vape-Pen really excels.
It's so funny that you had described the taste as sweet when I had spent the last 15 minutes smelling the liquids and taking hits from my Vape-Pen trying to figure it out!

I have to completely agree with you, there is no other form of vaping that compares to the Vape-Pen as far as taste goes.

Jameson420,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
Jameson420 said:
The taste is a little hard to describe. It actually tastes almost exactly like the liquid smells which would explain our different experiences. It tastes almost like a pleasant smelling cleaning solution. My girlfriend actually thought the taste was initially because the device was so new that it might have been cleaned with something before packaging. Then I smelled the liquids. It's not a bad taste or smell by any means, it hits almost like the volcano but without the dull taste - this has like a sweetened taste to it. It's actually very nice. I can only compare it to those flavored air places which I'm sure aren't very common. The liquid I had used was Supreme Blue Dream which is a Sativa. I've read somewhere that the actual plant will have some influence on the taste itself, although I don't have any other strains of liquids to confirm. I've been told that they are working on Purple, Cheese, and Pineapple Kush strains to be extracted into liquids soon. I will be getting these also when they are available and I'll be sure to post my findings.
I've tried the kush and the experience may vary from person to person, but I LOVE the kush! I'm not sure "which" kush it is, I just know it was kush. I found the kush to be stronger in effect but in a good way, still not anything that will totally "mess you up" but more so than the Blue Dream. YMMV.

MoeOnTheMoon,

Jameson420

I've tried the kush and the experience may vary from person to person, but I LOVE the kush! I'm not sure "which" kush it is, I just know it was kush. I found the kush to be stronger in effect but in a good way, still not anything that will totally "mess you up" but more so than the Blue Dream. YMMV.
I am looking forward to these new strains. Cheese and Purple are some of my favorites. I'm interested to discover the differences between the effects and tastes of each of these.

Apparently they are also working on strains with high CBD rather than large amounts of THC. I'm very curious about the effects of this one and I can't wait to find out!

Jameson420,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
moe...how efficient is the vape-pen with respect to how much a tincture costs and how long it lasts compared to the same amount of money spent on herb?

stickstones,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
stickstones said:
moe...how efficient is the vape-pen with respect to how much a tincture costs and how long it lasts compared to the same amount of money spent on herb?
Stickstones, that is a very difficult question to answer as I usually only use it for a few "hits" a day (a "hit" equaling several "puffs" - it puffs like a cigar - at a time).

So, using it like that, a $50 vial will last me a few weeks, as I'm not a heavy hitter. I have heard it said that it is no more expensive than buying herb but I think for me it is somewhat more expensive than buying herb, but not too much more. But the taste, convenience, etc. etc of it make it very worth it to me. But yeah, in MY experience it is more expensive to use the Pen. I see it as somewhat of a luxury item for sure, albeit within the budget of most people.

But as Jameson420 pointed out, it's really not a direct comparison because getting medicated with the Vape-Pen is very different than getting medicated with fresh herb. So for example, I'll use the Pen, then later on I'll use the MZ and/or LB. The Vape-Pen does not replace any of the others because it's so different in terms of the high and the usage. I rarely use the Pen at home, I take it with me when I go out to run errands or for a walk or something...

I have heard rumors that the price of the basic liquid herb may actually be lowered, but don't quote me on that. It could be that they'll have some basic strains (Blue Dream?) and then various other strains that cost more. But again that's not official, just a rumor.

You can buy the tincture at the mmj dispensary in something like $12.50, $25 and $50 vials I think. I am not even sure because I always get the $50 one.

MoeOnTheMoon,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
thanks, moe. How many hits off the vape pen do you think would equate to one mz bowl of similar quality stuff?

stickstones,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
Sticks, again this is a hard question as the high is different. With one or two hits off the MZ I am very baked. Being a light user of mj, one or two hits gets me vaked; then I will have one or two more in a little while, etc. if I want to continue, but I usually do maybe 5-10 hits off the MZ per day.

With 2-3 hits off the Vape-Pen, I am high but it's a more relaxed, less "baked" high.
I did get fairly baked off the liquid kush, though, after a few hits. It's just hard to compare because there is something about the liquid formula that makes the high different, for me. It could be that others won't feel this difference as much as I do, but it seems Jameson420 feels it as well. So this makes it very hard to compare.

It's almost like the difference between eating some and smoking some... not quite, but in that direction... Except that with the Vape-Pen the high is instantaneous whereas with eating it comes on slow, usually. And with the Vape-Pen it is not a complete body high like when eating mj. But there is something slightly similar about using the vape-pen and eating some, in a way, in that the high is more of that relaxing tranquil kind of high, to me.

On the other hand, a couple times I have had a few puffs on the Vape-Pen and then gotten turned around when driving, to where I was momentarily lost in an area I was very familiar with! ;)

It's just too different to compare it to vaping or smoking or eating. Again, this is my experience; your mileage may vary. I wish Jameson420 would chime in on this. Maybe he has a better explanation.

All I can say is that it's a different high to some degree and you don't generally get baked, I just get a nice high. Again: YMMV. The bottom line for me is that I do the Vape-Pen when I'm out and about - total portability and discretion and a high you can function on; whereas the MZ or Launch Box is more of a high you can really get baked on and not be able to function as well when you're out and about, if you're not careful.

Again, this is coming from a light user of MJ as compared to someone who smokes a gram or so a day... I probaby vape maybe 1/5-1/8 gram a day! ;)

MoeOnTheMoon,

Jameson420

DAY THREE:

I've got to say that I'm growing very attached to this Vape-Pen. It's not something I use at home as I often prefer a bong or Volcano for a much different effect but I never leave home without this Vape-Pen. I've used it sitting inside a restaurant with not one person paying any attention to it.

Today I let my girlfriend take it to work because she has severe migraines on a daily basis. I wanted to see if this pen can also improve the quality of life as well as being convenient and discreet like it was designed to. It passed with flying colors! Her migraine diminished after taking about 4-5 puffs from the pen. As Moe has already said, this pen hits very much like a cigar. You take smaller more frequent puffs rather than one large rip. She said that she feels medicated without actually appearing medicated. No red / glossy eyes or any other signs showing that you've been using cannabis at all. Very cool for people who need to take an edge off discreetly.

The battery life of this pen is also very good. I used the pen normally throughout the day taking maybe 70-80 puffs from it before the battery needed to be recharged. One battery lasted me all day and a little more the next morning. The Vape-Pen also came with a spare battery so you never have to go without your Vape-Pen.

The taste and effects of the Vape-Pen is also very unique compared to other types of vaping. I tried unsuccessfully to get a heavy stone from it - no matter how many rips I took, my mind was completely focused and clear although I felt the effects in my body. I can only describe the effects as relaxing and overall a better well-being. It's almost one of those things you just have to try for yourself! I would highly recommend this product to anyone who wants to medicate without the unwanted attention or just loves the convenience of this device!

Jameson420,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
Jameson, I can't tell you how happy I am not to be the only one here singing the praises of the Vape-Pen! :) I was getting lonely...

Also it is interesting to see how other people respond to it. Since I am a light user as compared to most other users of mj I know, it is hard to gauge the effects. As to migraines I have heard it does help with that, although of course we are not doctors here and not giving medical advice. ;) I do know someone who chooses to use it to help with migraines though. I personally have found that a few puffs before bed will help me sleep, more so than vaping with the LB or MZ.

It becomes a nice habit to take it with you when you go out, right? I have missed it when I have found myself without it for a few days, like when I ran out of liquid... :uhoh:

It is made from the entire spectrum of the herb (includes all cannabanoids, thc, etc.) so I don't know what accounts for the different high.

MoeOnTheMoon,

Jameson420

Moe, I'm not sure what accounts for the different high either. To me, it is more closely related to the effects of an edible than smoking a bowl. It's definitely different in a good way.

There are plenty of times when I needed to take the edge off but couldn't because I was either at work or with family members that just simply don't approve of using cannabis. Even if I snuck away for a few minutes, I would return with blood-shot eyes and reek of cannabis that clearly gave it away. With this, I never have to worry about that again!

I consider myself as a semi-heavy user of herb so it is very interesting that although we have different tolerances, we seem to share the same experiences.

Jameson420,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
Durden said:
I was going to take the plunge and order one but turns out they're out of town this week :lol:.
Durden, you can get one in Venice if you want to make the drive - assuming you're a medical mj patient you would have to get the liquid meds at a dispensary anyway.

MoeOnTheMoon,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
Jameson420 said:
Moe, I'm not sure what accounts for the different high either. To me, it is more closely related to the effects of an edible than smoking a bowl. It's definitely different in a good way.

There are plenty of times when I needed to take the edge off but couldn't because I was either at work or with family members that just simply don't approve of using cannabis. Even if I snuck away for a few minutes, I would return with blood-shot eyes and reek of cannabis that clearly gave it away. With this, I never have to worry about that again!

I consider myself as a semi-heavy user of herb so it is very interesting that although we have different tolerances, we seem to share the same experiences.
Yes, we seem to have independently arrived at the same opinion of the high it gives. I hope you are able to try the kush soon. I really like it.

Have you ever tried the Launch Box ? It can also be very stealth. A trip to a bathroom or outside, and one good hit and you're set for awhile. I have used it in many bathrooms etc when I didn't have my Vape-Pen. It's not AS stealth as the Vape-Pen but if you wanna get baked somewhere it's a great little box.

But yeah, the Vape-Pen is even more stealthy. I know someone who has used it standing right next to cops, and I've used it while browsing books at the public library, in restaurants, at the movie theater, and while driving in broad daylight, walking down the street with a cop car coming towards me (I didn't see him til it was too late; we locked eyes and then I kept walking thinking he might circle back but he didn't) and so on. I think it's legal to do it walking down the street, since I'm an MMJ patient but I really don't even know the law. I know you aren't supposed to have it or use it inside a car...

MoeOnTheMoon,

Jameson420

Huh, I actually haven't heard of the Launch Box til' now. That's a neat little contraption too! Not to get off subject of the Vape Pen here, but can you describe the effect you feel from this? Is it more like the Volcano as far as it's effect and taste?

Jameson420,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
Jameson420, as you know the Vape-Pen is pretty much the ultimate in terms of portability and discretion.

But the Launch Box is in 2nd place imho, with maybe the Iolite tied for 2nd. However, from my reading here, it seems to me that some people try the Iolite and don't really like it, whereas hardly anyone doesn't like the Launch Box.

The Volcano, being a bag type vaporizer, has a different taste and effect than non-bag types. In my opinion the bag type vaporizers are in a class by themselves.

The Launch Box is very much like the Myrtlezap or Purple Days in effect and taste. You get a slight woody taste from it but definitely taste the herb. I love my Launch Box (and my Myrtlezap)! See the Launch Box thread here for much more info and discussion:
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=909

The Launch Box will get you BAKED. ;) It'll fit in a shirt pocket or pants pocket and you also have to carry 2-4 AA batteries around. The Launch Box makes me a bit paranoid to use it in public (unlike the Vape-Pen where I use it in public all the time). But that said, it's great for taking in to a bathroom or if you're out hiking or at the beach or someplace where there aren't likely any cops to spot you as you use it. It's probably the best thing for people who aren't mmj patients and cannot get the Vape-Pen and liquid meds.

MoeOnTheMoon,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Thanks for the answers. Seems like this thing is really its own animal...like trying to compare bags to whips, etc. Too bad we can't go nationwide yet!

stickstones,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
Yeah, sorry I couldn't give you a better answer. It is very different than anything else I've tried.

If the people of CA pass the initiative in November then at least everyone in CA will be able to try the Vape-Pen if they want to!

I got this today from http://www.taxcannabis.org

"We just turned in almost 700,000 signatures from across California, representing voters in every county. Soon, the Tax Cannabis 2010 initiative will be on the November 2010 statewide ballot, and voters will finally have the chance to legalize, tax, and regulate cannabis in California!"

So it's a done deal: it WILL be on the ballot now! It will legalizle mj for recreational use for anyone who wants to use it - If it passes. Not sure what the chances are of it passing but at least it's going to be on the ballot.

MoeOnTheMoon,
Top Bottom