Collyland Aromatizer (formerly Vapbong by Art of Vapor)

bornfree13

High

Here's what I've learned, with my VASt experience of two days.

When I come down to my Computer Room for the evening I'll turn it on to max. Mine reads 12.5V at the halfway point of my dial (strange?) wait 8-13 minutes for it to warm up. While this is going on it's your choice. Either put some fresh ground herb in the bowl/ball or throw a small, to me anyway, bud in with a twist of your fingers to break it up a bit. when it's hot enough, You'll know When you get burned by the heating ball which you shouldn't do more than once.

I turn mine down to 10.4 and put on the bowl/ball on the VapBong wait 1-3 minutes for the bowl/ball to warm up a bit and the Heating core has time to kool down some.as the session goes on I'll warm it back up, a little at a time, to 11.4V.

Then Chug away. And I mean Chug..........It's wöööörking

Shake the ball every 3-4 hits or If you put in a bud just dump it on the funnel cup and crush it up with your fingers then put it back in the bowl/ball and put it back on. Once the inside of the ball gets warm it'll stay warm enough between shakings you really shouldn't have to wait any more to keep going.

A good thing to remember is to NOT leave the bowl/ball on the VapBong if you don't finish the bowl/ball or you take a breather. It's warm enough that it will still heat away at your herb slowly.

My one gripe is the neck should have more of a lay back design. Like the one they showed. No biggie. It's at a great spot down here on my Desk.

I love this bong. I'm gonna order a smaller, Artsy, One of a kind, homemade, VapBong and it'll be AWESOME!!!

Now? Where was I? Oh yea...... https://i.imgur.com/dngRr2i.jpg

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Daniel replied to me today!

He thinks it would be too tricky to try to extend the mouthpiece of that one armed bandit piece... Also thinks you wouldn't feel the heat too bad, but it would out everything right in your face of course... He recommends just going with the classic instead for the full experience with easy everyday use, best price and performance being produced in bulk.

He also said they are currently developing their own power adapter, but it is a few months away from being ready. QUESTION: does it not come with everything needed to plug it in and use it out of the box? Is it only a voltage converter without plug into the wall? Or maybe the current PA is just not made by them is all, so this will be a new customized one maybe?

He also let me know there will indeed be a 420 sale soon! Now to decide on the colors...

Last edited:

bornfree13

What link did you use for US purchasing?

High
I used an online translator to translate German to English and ordered from here: https://www.art-of-vapor.com

There are currently no b stock available now anymore so that section is removed from site

High
B stock gets bought out fast just gotta keep checking

Daniel replied to me today!

He also said they are currently developing their own power adapter, but it is a few months away from being ready. QUESTION: does it not come with everything needed to plug it in and use it out of the box? Is it only a voltage converter without plug into the wall? Or maybe the current PA is just not made by them is all, so this will be a new customized one maybe?...

Yea the power Adapter is a bit wonky. It fluctuates +/- 2 degrees as time goes on. I wanted to try my UnderDog Log VVA but different connectors yet both are 12 volt.

Anyone know if there are any adapters to make it fit a different VVA? I thought 5.5 was the standard?

Last edited by a moderator:

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
@Baron23 – The VapBong has no TCR function, the display just shows the voltage set by the user via the dial. It's true, the resistance of the coil will increase when being heated, but the display should still show the same voltage I think, since it doesn't get any feedback from the coil.

---

Still enjoying the VapBong a lot btw. Microdosing works nicely, but that's not what it's made for in my opinion. It's more like a truck, so it needs some fuel to make sense. :-)

VapBong hits are incredibly smooth. I tend to set the dial at ~12V these days, which increases the density, but there's no harshness ever. Water takes away some of the flavor, though, well, at least a bit. But the whole experience is *really* nice. It's cool to have a VapBong trucking away on the desk while watching a movie.

Baron23

The VapBong has no TCR function

TCR is not a function of the vape. A TCR detecting and temperature modulating circuit may well be.

But TCR is a physical phenom of metal...heat it and the resistance goes up in a small but detectable way IAW curves for that specific metal/alloy.

And we seem to agree that resistance increases with the metal's temperature.

Now, heat the metal, increase the resistance, and feed that into Ohm's Law and I believe that may well be responsible for your slight drop in voltage as the unit gets hot.

As to what the readout is showing is the voltage that the unit is drawing...or perhaps more accurately the voltage drop through the circuit.....which will change with resistance if all else is held constant.

Any EE's here to check and correct me?

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Now, heat the metal, increase the resistance, and feed that into Ohm's Law and I believe that may well be responsible for your slight drop in voltage as the unit gets hot.

The task is „Feed the coil with xyz volts“ and that's what it should do as long as the circuit is closed. I'm sure there are safety functions involved like shutting off in case of a shorted circuit, resistance dropping too low etc., but I don't see how and why the voltage should adapt or be affected by the resistance here. Also I wonder how the voltage-o-meter is even aware of changes in the resistance.

It also makes the user have to reset the voltage every few minutes which I don't think was the goal here.

Baron23

but I don't see how and why the voltage should adapt or be affected by the resistance here.

Well, I hate to speculate but think that the reason for this may be a misunderstanding or lack of understanding about these electrical functions.

Voltage is not really like the pressure of a water hose.....its a measurement of potential across two points of a circuit. If you increase the resistance, holding all else constant, the voltage drop will increase.

Now, this can be alleviated by decent true power supply that will keep voltage constant, but I suspect what you have there is a simple voltage meter in your power controller that just measures voltage across the two ends of the heating circuit.

And...that's why.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
I'm totally just guessing myself here, but indeed can't quite follow your thinkings, mostly because they contradict voltage / resistance / power behavior I see on other devices.

Either way, it's interesting that

He also said they are currently developing their own power adapter [...]

That might be because of said behavior.

Last edited:

Baron23

I'm totally just guessing myself here, but indeed can't quite follow your thinkings, mostly because they contradict voltage / resistance / power behavior I see on other devices.

Either way, it's interesting that

That might be because of said behavior.
Well, we are only talking 1 or 2 10ths of a volt, right? I can't imagine this doing anything to performance or be sufficient unto itself to develop a new component...but WTF knows for sure.

can't quite follow your thinkings, mostly because they contradict voltage / resistance / power behavior I see on other devices.

well, I can't speak to your observations but here is a link to a search of "if resistance goes up what happens to voltage"

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=if+resistance+goes+up+what+happens+to+voltage

In particular:

The current is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. This means that increasing the voltage will cause the current to increase, while increasing the resistance will cause the current to decrease.
So, as we increase the resistance through the phenom of TCR this says that current (amperes) will go down. Since current and voltage are directly proportional, this says that the voltage will go down also.

Ok?

Last edited:

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
@Baron23 – Well, it creates an odd behavior and forces the user to reset the dial over and over. I don't mind that too much, but it makes it look a bit inconsistent.

Although I should observe a bit more how exactly it behaves. I (for some reason) forget to monitor the display after a while; if the voltage should stabilize after it's fully heated up, you might be right. Will feed back on that.

One thing that came to my mind, though: the VapBong uses a kanthal coil. Kanthal is an alloy known and used for its stable TCR, so it shouldn't change substantially. But again: speculations.

Siebter,

Baron23

@Siebter

Please see my last post I added some additional information just as you posted your last

And see this calulator:

https://www.steam-engine.org/tcr

In the left column click on the first three materials...all different types of Kanthal.

You will see in the table to the right of that, that although the differences are quite small, resistance does change with temperature. So, substantially...no. But you aren't see substantial changes in voltage and tbh a tenth of a volt is nothing to even pay attention to.

Differences in ambient temperature would most likely make far more difference than a 10th of a volt difference in the heating element.

bornfree13

S
VapBong hits are incredibly smooth. I tend to set the dial at ~12V these days said:
I start heating mine up at 12v and then I have to lower it or It'll combust. I usually go down to 10 then add or subtract as needed but never above 11.5

Last edited:

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
I start heating mine up at 12v and then I have to lower it or It'll combust. I usually go down to 10 then add or subtract as needed but never above 11.5

Interesting. I usually start at ~11.5V and go up to ~12V within the next few hits and then let it stay there, so 11.8 - 12V is my comfort zone with the VapBong. I saw Dr. Colly recommending 11.5-12V in one of his videos. I never go above this max, but even at 12V I never came close to combustion.

deadlytoaster

Canadian lost in Europe
I think I'll be keeping a close eye on the bong section. Love my d020-d but I think they look like an upgrade.
Honestly I would just go full monty and get the vaporizer - the bongs are nice but I feel like the whole experience is worth it - if there's one thing I like about glass, it's being able to see the vapor pool up

Top Bottom