• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The Ubie

Vitolo

Vaporist
I put most of my videos on private after an uncomfortable public incident.
I make arrangements for members to view it on request, and have written to you.

Last edited:
Vitolo,
Reactions: Vicki

Zookeeper

The ubie is what introduced me to vaping. It really lets you see exactly how efficient a vape can be.

Zookeeper,
Reactions: 364F

MrNaturalAZ

Tree hugging dirt worshipper
I somehow stumbled upon the Ubie one day after reading a mention of it somewhere (I think it was in the comments on some blog or maybe a HT article). I thought for the price, what the heck. It looked like about as simple as a vape can get and still work, small, flame-powered (no batt/electric needed), and best of all dirt cheap and damn-near disposable at a impulse-buy price.

I ordered it on Friday (actually a two-pack) and it appeared in my mailbox today (Monday) - can't get much faster than that. Interestingly old-school, too: longhand-addressed envelope with postage stamps!

Apparently it is no longer free shipping, so it was $15 each or two for $20 plus another five bucks shipping. Anyhow, I'll report back once I've had a chance to try it out.

MrNaturalAZ

Wow... it's been two months since...
Anyhow, I'll report back once I've had a chance to try it out.
And finally I return with my report. I really really wanted to like this. I tend to appreciate simple elegance. Or is it elegant simplicity? OTOH, Wasn't it Einstein who said things should be made "as simple as possible, but not simpler"?

Anyhow, I just couldn't get the hang of it. Following the included instructions exactly, I got no vaporization aside from some low-temp flavinoids. I carefully experimented with flame distance and position, but simply couldn't find that magic point where I could consistently get good clean vapor. Seemed I got either nothing or borderline combustion. In the latter instance, I could see a bit of blue flame sucked into the Ubie glass.

Bottom line? I'll probably keep it around - enough of a novelty to not discard it, and maybe I'll be bored and curious one day and decide to have another go at it. But for now it joins my collection of failed experim.., er, learning experiences.

Vitolo

Vaporist
Experiment also with grind and dryness.
It is not good for me for a regular tool, but in a pinch, I can get a couple of hits of vapor.
The vapor generally is not thick, but is medicating none the less.
A tiny touch of high grade herb will give you those couple of wisps of vapor that can get you there.

OF

I gotta agree with 'the Sage of the High Desert' here. With good herb and careful heating one can
'get lucky' and get a solid hit or two before regrouping for another try. Not a very good option for regular, serious duty......but sometimes fun to use.

Sometimes the journey can be more important than the destination?

OF

GenYHippie

Hello. Dropping in as im in a bit of a pinch here. Going to be in the hospital for a few day to two weeks depending on healing once i finish battling with insurance. Pardon the bluntness but i need a ity bitty easy vape i can stick in my bra for while im there. While i may be legal in the sense of having a card none of my doctors know i use MJ. I get enough judgment for being ill i dont need the extra.

Thought this ubie might be good as i can sneak off with it to the stairwell/roof, ect. Compared to say the MFLB how much of a learning curve is there? I vape at very low temps so i cant imagine it would take much for me to heat this sucker up.

Input welcome :) thanks

Vitolo

Vaporist
MFLB would be easier, but with the right flame the Ubie works fast.
I like a small jet lighter flame better than regular lighter flame... as regular lighter can make Ubie get carbon on it.
Go in hospital room bathroom... stand on toilet... and get self close to the vent to vape....
spray the room with Ozium or other small spray.
eat a candy or rinse mouth as you unlock bathroom door and return to bed.

MrNaturalAZ

Hello. Dropping in as im in a bit of a pinch here. Going to be in the hospital for a few day to two weeks depending on healing once i finish battling with insurance.
Input welcome :) thanks

While the Ubie is indeed stealthy in size, that stealth may become challenged by its small capacity. In other words, it will require more frequent refills than most other vapes. This can be mitigated by pre-filling several Ubies - they're inexpensive enough that you could buy several for just that purpose.

Another option, which may or may not be for you, might be an pen-style oil/tincture vape (like an e-cig, but with cannabis extract instead of nicotine. It'll last you longer between refills, and it might not be quite as obvious, if discovered, as an herb-based vape, since you can just say it's an e-cig.

GenYHippie

MFLB would be easier, but with the right flame the Ubie works fast.
I like a small jet lighter flame better than regular lighter flame... as regular lighter can make Ubie get carbon on it.
Go in hospital room bathroom... stand on toilet... and get self close to the vent to vape....
spray the room with Ozium or other small spray.
eat a candy or rinse mouth as you unlock bathroom door and return to bed.

@Vitolo thank you for the advice and amusing mental image :)

While the Ubie is indeed stealthy in size, that stealth may become challenged by its small capacity. In other words, it will require more frequent refills than most other vapes. This can be mitigated by pre-filling several Ubies - they're inexpensive enough that you could buy several for just that purpose.

Another option, which may or may not be for you, might be an pen-style oil/tincture vape (like an e-cig, but with cannabis extract instead of nicotine. It'll last you longer between refills, and it might not be quite as obvious, if discovered, as an herb-based vape, since you can just say it's an e-cig.

Thank you MrNaturalAZ. Not too concerned about the size. I can load half a bowl on my solo and it lasts me about 3 days, i dont need much thankfully. I like the idea of the e-cig too but ive found im much to low tolerance to be able to handle it.

chad1234

If I had to give this vaporizer a rating, I give it 2 out of 10. The two points are for it's attempt at making an all glass vaporizer pipe with a unique design. However, this vaporizer fails to meet the overall objective of cleanly vaporizing. Also, once dirty, it's a pain in the ass to clean. I wouldn't recommend to anyone to try or buy this vaporizer. In the end, all you are left with a charcoal'd pipe that is evidence you just burned a hole in your pocket. ;)

For price and functionality I give the Ubie a 10 out of 10 rating. Its a $10 vaporizer that requires no cord, no batteries, no waiting, and is the size of a cigarette. And the Ubie gives a clean and good vape (when it is used properly.)

The following is my personal Ubie technique

- To properly use the Ubie stand in front of a mirror away from fans and a/c vents.

- Insert a very small amount of vaping material into the Ubie (+/- the amount of material that a 1 hitter pipe holds.)

- For about 5 seconds hold a lighter flame 3/4 of an inch under the Ubie behind the holes to warm the glass.

- To start vaping place a lighter flame 1/2 to 1 inch bellow the Ubie's tip (Air/wind conditions, type of vape material, and personal preferences can require different flame distances.)

- Lightly puff the Ubie until vaporization starts and then inhale (you know vaporization starts when you puff out vape, see the vape material move, or see the material change color.)

-When vaporization starts reduce the temperature by increasing the distance of the flame or by moving the flame back and forth under the holes (this stops the material from burning.)

Another technique to reduce temperature is to start vaping with the flame directly under one of the holes. Then to reduce temperature turn the Ubie so the flame is between 2 of the holes.

The Ubie can be used 30+ times before major cleaning is needed. Use a dry Q-tip every few uses to lightly clean the Ubie.

For major cleaning cover both parts of the Ubie with rubbing alcohol in a small Zip-Lock bag. Soak for 10-20 minutes. After soaking clean the large part of the Ubie with a alcohol soaked Q-Tip (2 Q-Tips can be taped together if needed to reach the Ubie's tip.)

To clean the small part of the Ubie remove some of the cotton from a Q-Tip, this smaller Q-Tip can be used to clean the Ubie's small insert. And a bent paper clip or needle can be (carefully) used to break up material near the holes. A rolled up Cleanex soaked with alcohol can be used to 100% clean the small insert, turn the Cleanex inside the tube and in the small holes.

Periodically holding the Ubie under running warm/hot water is helpful during the cleaning process.

Tips,

The Ubie can be stored in the foam case it comes in by using a long tack or a quilting pin to hold the case closed. And a piece of paper can be placed in the case around the Ubie's tip to avoid a hot Ubie from burning the case.

To quickly cool down the Ubie inhale cool air through the Ubie, and blow on the glass.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 1442

For price and functionality I give the Ubie a 10 out of 10 rating. Its a $10 vaporizer that requires no cord, no batteries, no waiting, and is the size of a cigarette. And the Ubie gives a clean and good vape (when it is used properly.)

The following is my personal Ubie technique

- To properly use the Ubie stand in front of a mirror away from fans and a/c vents.

- Insert a very small amount of vaping material into the Ubie (+/- the amount of material that a 1 hitter pipe holds.)

- For about 5 seconds hold a lighter flame 3/4 of an inch under the Ubie behind the holes to warm the glass.

- To start vaping place a lighter flame 1/2 to 1 inch bellow the Ubie's tip (Air/wind conditions, type of vape material, and personal preferences can require different flame distances.)

- Lightly puff the Ubie until vaporization starts and then inhale (you know vaporization starts when you puff out vape, see the vape material move, or see the material change color.)

-When vaporization starts reduce the temperature by increasing the distance of the flame or by moving the flame back and forth under the holes (this stops the material from burning.)

Another technique to reduce temperature is to start vaping with the flame directly under one of the holes. Then to reduce temperature turn the Ubie so the flame is between 2 of the holes.

The Ubie can be used 30+ times before major cleaning is needed. Use a dry Q-tip every few uses to lightly clean the Ubie.

For major cleaning cover both parts of the Ubie with rubbing alcohol in a small Zip-Lock bag. Soak for 10-20 minutes. After soaking clean the large part of the Ubie with a alcohol soaked Q-Tip (2 Q-Tips can be taped together if needed to reach the Ubie's tip.)

To clean the small part of the Ubie remove some of the cotton from a Q-Tip, this smaller Q-Tip can be used to clean the Ubie's small insert. And a bent paper clip or needle can be (carefully) used to break up material near the holes. A rolled up Cleanex soaked with alcohol can be used to 100% clean the small insert, turn the Cleanex inside the tube and in the small holes.

Periodically holding the Ubie under running warm/hot water is helpful during the cleaning process.

Tips,

The Ubie can be stored in the foam case it comes in by using a long tack or a quilting pin to hold the case closed. And a piece of paper can be placed in the case around the Ubie's tip to avoid a hot Ubie from burning the case.

To quickly cool down the Ubie inhale cool air through the Ubie, and blow on the glass.
any way you could share a video of this in action? I noticed this on puffitup and couldn't find much on it except for this.

MediPuff

I've been using the Ubie for about 3-4 yrs now. It's my only vaporizer.

I tend to use a beeswax candle flame for heating now, though I watch the proximity to the glass...it's clean (no butane taste/fumes) and certainly hot enough. I have to be careful if my hand shakes, because there's always a slight risk of getting burned by dripping wax, but I use a candle holder with a wide base. I got tired of collecting disposable lighters that still lit, but not long enough for a good draw on my Ubie. Beeswax candles burn slower.

Like most of you, it was my entry-level vape, but due to the fact that I've been on disability for almost 8 yrs and therefore, a very low fixed income, I don't have the luxury of trying vapes in the $100+ range. I tried an MFLB knock off on eBay about 2.5 yrs ago, but I didn't get nearly the vape clouds I did from the Ubie, so I went back to it.

I've dropped a few over the years, so Tim has sold me several. I never order from anyone/where else.

Right off the bat, I had trouble with burning my upper lip, so I bought more tubing in two different sizes to add a short extension, which I incorporated a small circle of screen into to keep from sucking small bits of herb into my mouth. I have to replace this every month or so. I clean the screen with iso periodically, followed by a quick scrub and rinse with dish soap and warm/hot water, then dry with paper towel. My cleaning method is pretty much the same with the rest of it except that I use pipe cleaners, brushes, and a baking soda paste on the business end of the glass tubes.

A baking soda paste gets glassware sparkling clean, removing all scorch marks...it accomplishes the same with the Ubie. I've managed to find long, thin brushes to fit in both glass tubes to scrub the insides with the baking soda paste to get them good as new. So I can have a really clean Ubie again this way.

I usually put about 0.1-0.2g of herb in them at a time, which I can get 4-6 inhalations from. I use a round toothpick to stir between hits. Two or three rounds like that and I'm usually ready for bed, depending on my pain level.

The important thing when you're done vaping is to use your last draw to clean the Ubie. The heat releases the sticky plant resins from the glass. Have something to dump the contents in (whether a container or the sink, garbage, etc., keeping in mind you can use the abv for edibles or topicals) and as soon as you inhale, remove the small glass tube and set it aside, turn the larger one upside down over what you're going to empty it into and holding the closed end in your non-dominant hand, flick the middle of it with the fingernail of your middle finger of your dominant hand using your thumb to knock the contents loose and out of the outer glass tube. If you do this while it's still fairly warm-hot, it will all come out. Then all you need is a pipe cleaner folded in half to wipe out the inside to get what little herb dust remains on the inside. You shouldn't need to get it wet unless you're doing a full cleaning.

The inner glass tube can get a bit gummed up too, so I usually finish up a vape session by holding the business end of that 1/2-1 inch over my candle flame for 10 seconds or so, twisting it around to heat it evenly, then shove my little brush (you can use a pipe cleaner if you don't have one) in and out a couple of times to clean it. Then I blow through both tubes from the open ends over the kitchen sink and that's it.

Btw, the plastic on the smaller tube isn't glued. After a fair bit of use (i.e. frequent temperature changes), it starts sliding a bit over the glass, but at no time do you ever see any crusting, residue, etc. appear anywhere. Aside from the fact that the plastic yellows over time (the tubing I added is affected the same way) there is nothing to indicate any substance exists between the glass and plastic of the small tube. Perhaps the plastic is fitted on using heat.

So there it is. And yes, early on, I had a few of those accidental combustion incidents...that comes down to lack of experience. It typically happened when my herb was dried out and should have been dumped. If that happens to you, stop inhaling immediately and turn it upside-down over a sink, knocking the contents out ASAP! Burning anything in an Ubie can break it...not to mention that disgusting, acrid taste...blech!

MediPuff

Thank you all, for your likes, etc. I feel very appreciated.

Btw, I'm new here. That was my first post. I heard about you guys on Grass City. Nice place you have here. Very informative.

I live in the Canadian prairies...the Bible Belt. I discovered vaping with the Ubie and winging it, experimenting with online info since. Done some THC e-juice as well with a Kanger mini pro
tank 3. Been doing a lot of high-CBD strains lately. I'm dealing with chronic pain from fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis.

I read through the thread here to start and I was surprised by all the things people consider when looking at vapes. That was an education in itself. If I'd thought about all those things, I might not have ordered the Ubie.

It never dawned on me before just how much I've missed out on while doing this in isolation. I just don't know who to trust where I live and chronic illness keeps me pretty isolated. Almost everyone I know either moved away or died in the past 6 1/2 yrs (and didn't know much about this anyway). I'm sure some of you know how it is when you get too sick to work with invisible illnesses and you resort to using cannabis for pain because your doctor won't help (not that I would take opiates if offered because of the side effects and how addictive they are). Some people don't believe you're sick because you don't look sick and regardless, there's always those who don't approve of the way you treat your pain, even though the alternative is being stuck in bed and unable to even get groceries. I'm only in my early 50s...way too young for a care home.

OF

Thank you all, for your likes, etc. I feel very appreciated.

You are appreciated, the feeling it genuine.

Sadly, all too many of us know exactly what you mean. I know I'm blessed to live in California where 'Doctor's Recommendation' cards are your pass to dispensaries where THC is rightly treated as medicine and those of us who depend on it are understood and respected. The Recreational guys can be quite different, although we do share a lot of course.

And within that, Vapers are a further subset. That too is unfortunate, as the cost savings and health benefits of vaping (or rather the elimination of the problems with combustion) are worth knowing and taking full advantage of IMO. We need to spread that good word.

Fire powered vapes continue to give me great enjoyment, perhaps a hangover from my (tobacco) pipe smoking days so long ago. While I don't use the Ubie very often, I do truly enjoy the Vapor Genie and Vapman. VG comes in many models and is more versitle and forgiving than Ubie IMO. The big Bronze and 'hand carved' (looks much like a conventional pipe) being favorites.

VM has a special charm all it's own, perhaps not for all, but it's a personal favorite. Great little ritual to use it (you heat with a torch type lighter for a few seconds) then take a hit. It's a joy to look at/use. Swiss in design and manufacture it's a mix of Watchmaker and Steampunk themes and is amazingly frugal with herb, more so that Ubie IMO. Fun, non traditional, materials. Pear wood and Mica? Don't see that much anymore..... And bitty little screws. Very cool.

Sorry to ramble, but welcome, you're amongst good folks. Speak your mind freely, expect honest information in return. You've already proven your willingness and ability to contribute......you're going to fit in just fine I'm sure. Welcome aboard.

I remember well driving highway 1 East from the coast. Driving down out of the mountains after leaving Banff after sunset and seeing 'forever'. The drop in altitude and cool still night air (it was after midnight at that point) meant we could see hundreds if not thousands of miles. Makes a guy feel really really small, like being in blue water ocean. Not a bad place to be I'm thinking.

Thanks for sharing.

OF

PPN

Volute of Vapor
The Ubie interested me but my choice was on the Vaponic cause the flowers are not in direct contact with the heated glass, although Vaponic is more expensive (+twice the Ubie price).

Some weeks ago I find a very cheap alternative to the Vaponic, it is called the Ilite, it is designed to work similarly to the Ubie (except for the air inlets) but I modded it to use it àla Vaponic to avoid direct heating.

It's always nice to see there is decent cheap options to vape, life is not always nice ....

PPN,

MediPuff

You are appreciated, the feeling it genuine.

Thank you!

Sadly, all too many of us know exactly what you mean. I know I'm blessed to live in California where 'Doctor's Recommendation' cards are your pass to dispensaries where THC is rightly treated as medicine and those of us who depend on it are understood and respected.

I really envy the mmj setup you have down there. Our former federal conservative gov't made a real mess of ours. Then to add insult to injury, 99% of doctors refuse to participate because the CMA and the provincial colleges of physicians and surgeons frown on those that do. The few that do charge patients a lot of cash under the table to write a prescription (used to be to fill in the forms for the old program). At least in the province of Ontario, they made it law that doctors can no longer do that because some doctors were charging $1,000-2,000. Now that province's health insurance will reimburse patients if doctors make them pay a fee for a prescription (they probably recover it from the doctor afterwards). No such luck in my province, and the going rate in 2012 was $400. I don't know what it is here now. I haven't bothered trying to find a doctor to help me become legal because I can't afford it. And the veiled threat if you ask your GP is that they'll fire you as a patient (yeah, up here the idea is that we need them, not the other way around).

And within that, Vapers are a further subset. That too is unfortunate, as the cost savings and health benefits of vaping (or rather the elimination of the problems with combustion) are worth knowing and taking full advantage of IMO. We need to spread that good word.

Totally agree. Most doctors here are clueless about that and many are too arrogant to be willing to be educated and informed by patients, especially a woman if they come from a culture where men are misogynistic (unfortunately, I've had to deal with a few like that). At one time, I'd be willing to stand up for myself, but stress aggravates fibromyalgia, so I've had to learn to pick my battles for the sake of my health to keep the cost of my "medication" low. At least my disability benefits include my pharmaceuticals (for all the good they do).

While I don't use the Ubie very often, I do truly enjoy the Vapor Genie and Vapman.

I looked at those a while back. The VG wasn't really for me and if I was going to go for the Vapman, I wanted to be able to spring for the Classic with the mica heat shield, but it's a heck of a jump in price. Maybe someday.

Sorry to ramble, but welcome, you're amongst good folks. Speak your mind freely, expect honest information in return. You've already proven your willingness and ability to contribute......you're going to fit in just fine I'm sure. Welcome aboard.

Thank you, OF. I have a bit of experience in online forums, so I'm not shy.

I remember well driving highway 1 East from the coast. Driving down out of the mountains after leaving Banff after sunset and seeing 'forever'.

Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome. I'm quite a bit east of Banff, in the middle of that "forever." It's a long, boring drive through hours of flatland before I get to anything scenic and my road trip days are long behind me. My car and me are too old for that now. But once upon a time, I made a couple of drives down to your neck of the woods. Took the kids to Disneyland and everything...good times.

MP

This thread bump inspired me to break out the ubie. So thanks for that, @MediPuff :cheers:

:peace:

You're welcome, Stu!

Gee, Tim would be so pleased with me for helping promote his invention. I never saw it mentioned anywhere on GC, so I never brought my Ubie up over there. I thought people there would think I was a loser for using it!

I don't even go near the vape areas there where everyone is posting pics of their vapes with all their complicated glass works. It's so intimidating and I don't have anything to show! It's like glass spaghetti in there!

The Ubie interested me but my choice was on the Vaponic cause the flowers are not in direct contact with the heated glass, although Vaponic is more expensive (+twice the Ubie price).

Some weeks ago I find a very cheap alternative to the Vaponic, it is called the Ilite, it is designed to work similarly to the Ubie (except for the air inlets) but I modded it to use it àla Vaponic to avoid direct heating.

It's always nice to see there is decent cheap options to vape, life is not always nice ....

No, it's not. My rent is going through the roof in June and again every year thereafter. I worry for the future now.

The Vaponic looks interesting, but I'm always concerned when the glass is heated directly with a jet lighter that eventually it will break from the heat, even borosilicate glass. And it's more than twice the cost of an Ubie twin pack at about $60 US.

As for the Ilite, I looked at their site, but the internat'l flags in the upper left corner that are presumably supposed to switch languages, don't work. And based on your description in another thread, I'm not sure I'd like it.

I think I'll stick with my Ubie. After all this time, it's tried and true and still working great for me after all my modding and collecting of cleaning brushes, etc. I've really got it down to an art and cleaning is a pretty quick routine now.

I do find it interesting to see other similar vapes around now. For a long time the focus has really been more on glass exotics and bigger/better electronic models that us financially challenged people can't afford. It's nice to see more budget-minded types available.

Mod note: Three posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom