The Toasty Top

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Speaking from an aesthetic point of view, this new design is really snazzy. I really like the looks of it. Couple that with how well you have researched this, I think you have another very cool vape! :tup:

momofthegoons,
Reactions: mvapes

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
VWFringe said:
i wonder if it were a cup filled with vermiculite or broken charcoal around the heat exchange, if it would work any better or worse...? (not making a product request, just curious...and not thinking of making anything)

when you say the temp is too high for you, is it because of any harshness to your lungs, or that you want to minimize the haze and body-high?

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions VW. I am trying to make it as simple as possible.

The two units in the photos are the two extremes. It was just an experiment to see what would happen.
I don't care for the taste when the temperature is 400F or higher. It still works, but you need to mix room air to get a lower temp in the roasting tube. I prefer 390F or lower. I still mix room air to lower the initial roasting temperature and then work up to the maximum temperature as the roasting progresses.

Alan,

gvape

Damn I really like the looks of those rings :)

On a side note for anyone interested. Eds Tubes for the Zap/PD with a high heat rubber ring from TV did allow me to use the tubes in the TT better but I still don't think its really for me. Really a bummer too because I have been using my TT a lot more and I don't get to use all my nice wood stems. Either way it still allows it to work so I cant complain too much. Only problem is since they tips are smaller its not the most even heating as whichever side is hitting the wall of the TT is what gets heated the best. A rotating method would be advised to get it to heat best.

gvape,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Can't say I didn't warn you about that. They work, but they aren't optimum because of the looseness of fit. I feel your pain because I would love to use them in the top too. I find that my favorite tube for the top is the poly one, much to my surprise. I really love the purpleheart tube, but my poly tube is one of TV's first and it has a longer metal insert than the current ones. I find I like that best.

momofthegoons,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Really like the Toasty Tower Alan, you have done some great research and come up with even better findings, hope you get that worked out with the depth and all that, you are really grabbing control of the heat and knowing how to make it work for you, I look forward to seeing and reading more about your work.

Also been thinking that with your various temps and styles that you are able to achieve that you should be able to do various species of woods that have always been to dense, am I correct?

Ed's TnT,
How can anyone order a TT?

I can't find a website but have seen 2 youtube vids of the device.

The TT looks like a real good product but I haven't got much info on it unfortunately.
Like the price, for example.

I think I've read 2 reviews on the product so far on this thread.
So it would be great if more people could post their views.

If the Toasty Top is good, then I don't see why it shouldn't corner the log vape market.

Incidentally, have you thought of an improved design for the stand, TV?

Vapemania-original,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I can't find a website but have seen 2 youtube vids of the device.

Directly under TV's avatar, you will find a link for his email and to his website. The website is not set up for sales yet, however, you can buy directly from Alan by emailing him.

If the Toasty Top is good, then I don't see why it shouldn't corner the log vape market.

This would imply that it is superior to the other log vapes, which has not been stated. IMO, the top is a wonderful addition to the log vapes.

Incidentally, have you thought of an improved design for the stand, TV?

Didn't know one was needed. The stand is fine. I think the only change that was discussed was to possibly make one that is freestanding.

momofthegoons,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Thanks for the support mom. I'm glad you are enjoying your Toasty Top.

Thanks Ed. I believe you are correct that dense species of wood should be able to get hot enough using the ring technique. I need to do some more experimenting.

gvape - I'm sorry you don't feel the TT is for you. It does need to be treated differently than the traditional cylinder shaped vaporizers. The TT gives you a wider range of available temperatures (with air mixing) that can be drawn through the roasting tube. Are you placing the o-rings in the groove or closer to the tip of your wooden tubes?

Vapemania - Nice to see you again. I updated my website with the pricing information. I do have Toasty Tops for sale. It would be nice to have some more reviews posted. Hopefully, you had a chance to read my website for the other information on the Toasty Top. I have made a unit with an integral stand. Did you see the Toasty Tower a few posts back?

Alan,

gvape

You got it all wrong Alan! I LOVE THE TT, I just am sad with all my wood tubes for my PD it just isnt the same in the TT. I dig that it gets the hotter temps as I have been vaping a lot for sleep and this is doing the trick perfectly!

MOM, I also agree, between my poly and glass I almost always use my poly. then again what did I do with my glass one? Its been missing for a week or two....

gvape,
TV said:
Vapemania - Nice to see you again. I updated my website with the pricing information. I do have Toasty Tops for sale. It would be nice to have some more reviews posted. Hopefully, you had a chance to read my website for the other information on the Toasty Top. I have made a unit with an integral stand. Did you see the Toasty Tower a few posts back?

I've just been to the website.
It's very good. I love the no-nonsense simplicity.
The font size of the text could be increased, I suppose.
More photos of the glamorous star from different angles would be good.
Also, on the 'Maintain' page, small photos showing how to clean and maintain would be good.
Pics of the device in aromatherapy and herb roasting mode would also be showing off how versatile it is.

The price is very reasonable.
Hopefully you're getting something back for your hard efforts!
But it's great to see an affordable and easy to use device.

I was about to suggest a stand which is integrated with the power cord. Rather like an electric kettle. That kind of thing would really be good, IMO.
But it sounds like you're already onto it!

The Toasty Tower is ace! You could even fit rubber bands into the rings to make it anti-slip. But I don't know if the temp of the device would affect the rubber.
However, I still like the spinning top look of the Toasty.
I suppose you could have both versions, so people can choose the one they like.

The tripod stand is better than the current stand, IMO.

Last time I was here, selling the Toasty was just an idea.
So I was really pleased to see the Toasty Top is now on sale!
Well done, that man!!

Also, can you say more about the efficiency of the product on your website?
If you do one-off versions in luxury hardwoods, then I suppose that'll also tempt the punters!
I'm gonna shut up now!
Great to see the Toasty BTW.

Vapemania-original,

Orestes

Magus Septimus
Not too sure about the toasty tower. The Top is a brilliant shape for the purpose; The cylinder is totally ineffecient, because the actual heat exchange is going on on top, which the shape of the Top insulates perfectly. Plus the tower would not be as nice to hold, and it's aesthetically inferior. Seems like the tower is taking a few back with regards to design, and losing most of what differentiates the Top from the rest of the log-type vapes out there.

and the integrated legs just look silly... And breakable. The only time my Top was unstable was when I was using a straight adapter with it and it couldn't sit straight. I got a right-angle adapter at radio shack, and now the thing is stable as a table.

I'd much rather see further development of the Top (Variations in shape and wood type) than an upheaval of the design.

Also, weren't you going to publish a diagram or guide to disassembling the Top for cleaning? I'm so tempted to give it a shot myself, but I just know I would break something, and then I would be up that proverbial creek, without a toasty top.

Orestes,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
al bundy - Thanks. I'm playing with ring thickness and rounding the edges.

gvape - Glad you love the Toasty Top. I must have misunderstood you. Hope you find your glass tube. I like to feel the glass get hot so you know you are getting adequate hot air flow.

Vapemania - Thanks for the great suggestions. I have rounded the edges of the rings and it feels better in my hand. I want to focus on the Toasty Top, but the Toasty Tower is a alternative for those who don't want to hold a hot piece of wood.

biojuggernaut - Sorry. I'm always thinking of new ways to make a vaporizer.

Orestes - Glad to hear you have your Toasty Top setting level now. I do like the Top better than the Tower. The Top is much more simple in shape and form. The hand warmer / heat massage functions of the Toasty Top add to its stealth.
The Toasty Tower will not be as durable as the Toasty Top. The Tower will accept straight or angled power plugs.
I never really intended to create another style of vaporizer. I was just trying to test a theory on heat energy transfer. The basic design has not changed, just the shape of the wood surrounding the heater and heat sink.
I could take some photos of removing the heater for cleaning and post them on the Maintenance page. Pull the wood button from the tip and loosen the metal power socket with a pair of pliers. Carefully, unscrew and remove the heating element from the top. There is now a hole all the way through the top. Blow air to remove any particles inside the Toasty Top. Be sure to save the heat sink tube screen. Gently, brush away any debris at the base of the heating element and reinstall. The heating element by itself is breakable if you drop or bend it. Press the wood button on metal power socket and reinstall the screen in the heat sink tube. Make sure the Toasty Top is off and cold before trying to remove the heating element. You might get a nasty brand otherwise. I'm sure you will do fine.

Alan,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Here is my latest Toasty Tower. I was shooting for a temp in the 380's. It is a bit hotter inside than most Toasty Tops. It is much cooler to the touch on the outside than a Toasty Top.

toastytower.jpg

toastytowertemp.jpg

The price is the same as a Toasty Top. I can make some units if anyone is interested.

Alan,

Orestes

Magus Septimus
Now that's a fine looking vaporizer.

and yeah, the Top is pretty easy to take apart. Pop off the washer, unscrew, and you're golden. Mine wasn't even too clogged up, but it was nice to give it a clean anyway

Orestes,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Thanks Orestes. I'm glad you were able to easily open the Toasty Top for cleaning. It makes heating element replacement just that easy too. I tried to make everything as simple as possible.
The Toasty Tower has the identical internals and can be opened for cleaning the same way.

Alan,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
After having the Top for several months now, I have to say that it is my go to vape at night when I want a little higher temperature, but still want to conserve.

And I really like that even though he has a tried and true, tested vape, Alan continues to look for new ways to improve the vape market. :tup:

momofthegoons,
yeah I love my top. Conserves yet was an easy transition from the VHW! I just want this tower now to use at night or when I have combusters use my vapes.

biojuggernaut,

Lycanthrope

King Of The Loons
momofthegoons said:
After having the Top for several months now, I have to say that it is my go to vape at night when I want a little higher temperature, but still want to conserve.

And I really like that even though he has a tried and true, tested vape, Alan continues to look for new ways to improve the vape market. :tup:

Mom, when you say that you use the TT when you want a bit more temp, are you comparing it to your MZ, and just how close is the TT to the MZ as far as efficiency concerned? I kind of think of you as the expert when it comes to the MZ. I do have to admit that I like a bit higher temp than what my MZ puts out on the 12V, but really do like the incredible efficiency of the Zap. If the TT is as or is nearly as efficient as the MZ and provides a bit higher temps, then thats for me. The TT would really be a perfect complement to my Zap. I love the shape of the TT as its clearly unique.

Lycanthrope,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Lycanthrope, the TT does run hotter than the Zap. I think this is largely due to the difference in heat port design. With the TT, you put the vapor tube farther down into the heat port than you do with the Zap. The efficiency, in terms of how much herb is used, is the same IMO. The difference lies more in the temp.

momofthegoons,
Top Bottom