The Summit by Vapium (Formerly MARK 1)

OF

Look at this video summit plus looks like it has a replacable batter. Watch the middle of the video.

Just surprised that such a small thing could have added more customers to purchase their product because they know its something they can use long term.

Sorry, that's animated. A cartoon, not a photograph. See any screws? Or heater wiring? Just pretty CAD I think.

I think the simple answer is making it consumer replaceable is no small thing. Or they'd do it? A more complex answer is that it's an expensive, awkward Engineering task (soldering where the cell is conveniently located, not making a battery container and so on) is the natural call I think, they need motive to do otherwise. That means customers must 'demand' that feature and as a group we're just not doing that. For instance, Air has this due to short 'battery life' relative to Solo (which doesn't). The upgraded Solo keeps the internal pack (which plugs in BTW) but upgraded the capacity. The newest offering, ArGo, once again has a loading door since it's basically a repacked Air.

Most vapes are obsolete before they wear out I think. Vapes like Ascend have their cases destroyed replacing the battery (two cells, like Solo), a 'factory only' job obviously. And remember the 800 pound Gorilla in the Board Room is usually the Suits (Sales guys). They want lowest possible production costs and kind of like the idea of customers coming back a few years later for a new model?

Anyway, don't plan on replacing the cell when it goes. Take care of it and you'll get years of daily use from it. By then something better is sure to come along. The cost of vapes is easily covered by efficiency, that is the cost of the herb they don't waste combusting?

BTW another 'upgrade' you get with the plus is dumping the perfectly fine micro USB (of which I have piles around as do most?) to the USB-C connector (something like the one IPhone uses, plugs in 'either way'). So now I have one oddball USB out of a very large number........some improvement......

OF

OF,

blackstone

Since there's only one it's a cell, not a battery (which is two or more cells working together).

I was aware of this from light experience in automotive and telecoms, and when I seen you mention it, I thought you'd like the story of an Italian friend when he saw my drumkit once,
he said something I had to ask him to repeat to hear, it was 'batteria'!
A name for a collection or assembly of cylinders or cells? (Italian for drumkit) Batteria.
Very good. The old Latin link.

It was really nice that Vapium had a Strain Hunters edition Summit, I couldn't find it for sale in my zone at the time unfortunately.

blackstone,
Reactions: OF

OF

I was aware of this from light experience in automotive and telecoms, and when I seen you mention it, I thought you'd like the story of an Italian friend when he saw my drumkit once,
he said something I had to ask him to repeat to hear, it was 'batteria'!
A name for a collection or assembly of cylinders or cells? (Italian for drumkit) Batteria.
Very good. The old Latin link.

It was really nice that Vapium had a Strain Hunters edition Summit, I couldn't find it for sale in my zone at the time unfortunately.

Love it. It, of course, was originally a "pile". That is a stack of alternate metal and blotter paper disks as invented by Volta himself. Piles, however, already had an unattractive connotation I guess as I understand the military term battery came into usage.

Here's a fun one back at ya. Power cords (what we'd call SJ or SJO) on tools are call "CT" in Canada. Stands for 'Cab Tire', seems the first flexible cables for tools were made by Italians wrapping copper wire with strips of rubber from the inner tubes on cab tires. A luxury (most carts have hard rims for wear) that failed quickly in service I'm told.

Or that we call cells cells in Biology because Greggor(?) was a monk and thought they resembled the cells monks live in?

Fun place, this world of ours. Words make it more so sometimes.

Thanks.

OF

blackstone

Love it. It, of course, was originally a "pile". That is a stack of alternate metal and blotter paper disks as invented by Volta himself. Piles, however, already had an unattractive connotation I guess as I understand the military term battery came into usage.

Here's a fun one back at ya. Power cords (what we'd call SJ or SJO) on tools are call "CT" in Canada. Stands for 'Cab Tire', seems the first flexible cables for tools were made by Italians wrapping copper wire with strips of rubber from the inner tubes on cab tires. A luxury (most carts have hard rims for wear) that failed quickly in service I'm told.

Or that we call cells cells in Biology because Greggor(?) was a monk and thought they resembled the cells monks live in?

Fun place, this world of ours. Words make it more so sometimes.

Thanks.

OF
That would carry the tradition of Canadians tending to call things after where they come from, as I heard they call electrcity "Hydro" a lot, because it gets powered by water.
And those early wrapped style cables sound familiar to me, thank you for the insight!

I had to look it up but battery chickens borrowed the idea too! Not sure about the Metallica song but ill have to read up on the military origins of battery,
Cheers and happy new year!

blackstone,

OF

Is the summit + an on demand vape?

Yes, it is.

Will .1 of bud be enough to load?

That depends on you and the quality of the weed you're feeding it. Vapes aren't magic, you have to put the THC in to get it out. For the most part they extract to the same level (that is all remove the same amount of what you load), as evidenced by color matching ABV. Unlike combustion THC is not destroyed. So your personal tolerance and THC concentration in the herb determines effective load size, not this or any other vape.

If the question you intended is 'will I get good vapor production from .1 gram' the answer is 'probably no' It's a conduction vape, with poor heating through the floor (there's a heat shield covering it, no heater there (it's in the walls), and the metal stem sucks heat away should it make it down from the walls). This means heating is happening to the edge of a thin load, heating the rest of the bowl is doing no good. Since it's a demand vape, why not take advantage of that? Load the bowl properly (.5 grams or so IIRC?) and use it up a hit at a time?

If you insist on messing with pinches, distribute it around the walls and back it with cotton or ABV in the center. Not as good as a full load of herb, but much better than 20% production (.1 of what should be .5 grams in the bottom).

If you want an on demand vape for such small loads, consider one designed for it. VM (a personal favorite), VC and VG come to mind right off. Lower cost (under $100) and each with a strong following.

OF

Kosherbubba

There are a load of answers back in the thread. I've not used the stock screen since the tab broke off the first two screens. What is still amazing about the Summit is it can work with so little material. I usually only use .05 to .1 and never use a screen on top, just needs stirring from time to time. I use #6 & 7.
My battery is dying too...:(
OF hasn't taken apart a Plus model like he did his original, so who knows what is in there now.

What kind of 3rd party screen do you use, Is it a super fine, fine, coarse screen. I kind of don't like the stock screen. Just not enough holes for easy draw. I feel if I put my own 3rd party screen it may be O.K. but wondering if I could just put any screen in there, would it melt etc.. so worried about doing that. On another note, Why would a company make a product where battery was not replacable. Is it because they want us to buy more product. Seems counterproductive. Still upset I can't replace battery. I did not know when I first bought it. Just assumed its replacable like any other vaporizers out there.

Kosherbubba,

OF

OF hasn't taken apart a Plus model like he did his original, so who knows what is in there now.

Actually I did. It's in my nature you know, trashing the warranty 'out of the box'. It just wasn't significantly different enough to merit photos IIRC. Not worth finding the camera (and likely charging the battery just to take a photo or two).

It's not without risk, the case 'snaps together' and can be easily damaged if you're heavy handed. Reminds me of cell phones in a way, uses the same vibration motor?

The cell (now 18650 over 15650) is still soldered in, not user replaceable.

OF

OF,
Reactions: Sungodv

Kosherbubba

Actually I did. It's in my nature you know, trashing the warranty 'out of the box'. It just wasn't significantly different enough to merit photos IIRC. Not worth finding the camera (and likely charging the battery just to take a photo or two).

It's not without risk, the case 'snaps together' and can be easily damaged if you're heavy handed. Reminds me of cell phones in a way, uses the same vibration motor?

The cell (now 18650 over 15650) is still soldered in, not user replaceable.

OF

Just wondering is it cheaper to manufacture if the cell is soldered in compared to other vaporizers which have the cell or battery seperate? Since you can bypass the charger now, can we eventually put a portable charger to use on the go even if the battery is dead? If so I guess we can use the vapium indefinitley without having to replace through soldering by keeping a charger with you at all times when your battery starts to age.

It would be nice if vapium offered a charge service to replace the battery if we ship it to them regardless of warrenty.

Kosherbubba,

OF

Just wondering is it cheaper to manufacture if the cell is soldered in compared to other vaporizers which have the cell or battery seperate?

Yes it sure does. If it didn't wouldn't you expect it? Anything 'off board' carries a premium. Cell phones have captive cells for the same reasons (cheaper, more reliable, and more compact).

Since you can bypass the charger now, can we eventually put a portable charger to use on the go even if the battery is dead? If so I guess we can use the vapium indefinitley without having to replace through soldering by keeping a charger with you at all times when your battery starts to age.

Can you bypass the charger/battery? I don't think so. A clue is it takes longer to recharge than to discharge. The charger, like in most vapes, just isn't powerful enough to support heating by itself. A 'ballast battery' is needed.

If you wanted a true PA portable (one that can run on mains power without battery support) you've missed your chance with the original Solo. It has a lower voltage, much higher current mode available that was removed on our 'demand' for 'charge while using'.....which we got. "Like with cell phones". Folks call this 'pass through' (with various spellings), but it's not really. A pass through can use no more power at any point in time than the external supply (wall wart) can supply. Summit + is not there I think?

If you have some evidence this is possible, I'll consider reopening my unit and removing the soldered in cell? Otherwise I 'know' it's not possible? If you can't store power, power out is always equal to or less than power in. Dem's da rules.

OF

OF,

Kosherbubba

Can you bypass the charger/battery? I don't think so. A clue is it takes longer to recharge than to discharge. The charger, like in most vapes, just isn't powerful enough to support heating by itself. A 'ballast battery' is needed.

If you wanted a true PA portable (one that can run on mains power without battery support) you've missed your chance with the original Solo. It has a lower voltage, much higher current mode available that was removed on our 'demand' for 'charge while using'.....which we got. "Like with cell phones". Folks call this 'pass through' (with various spellings), but it's not really. A pass through can use no more power at any point in time than the external supply (wall wart) can supply. Summit + is not there I think?

OF
I do have arizer air, but wanted something I could carry on the go in a pocket. Plus my lp had a great deal plus I had a 20percent first time vape purchase from tweed. Came outvto 119 before taxes. But did not realize they made a cheap version of pax with no option to replace battery option. The pax was also on sale could have gotten it for 150 plus tax with my coupon. I do like the unit, but i guess in 2 years or so it will be just a long gone memory, not going to buy another one for that reason. Just curious how long did u use yours before its battery started to slow down.

Kosherbubba,

Sungodv

Love how they show you the inside. Looks much different than OF's and I think it is probably accurate as they have upped the water resistance quotient. I probably will get another Summit as I love my Gen II. Just wish they left it Micro USB instead of C

Is the summit + an on demand vape? Will .1 of bud be enough to load?
You aren't reading the thread?!? Yes, it's amazing how long good Cannabis gives off vapor...just need proper lighting to see it. I usually use .05 to .1 ground with my ever loving digits. No need for a cotton ball or anything if you want my opinion

Thank you kindly, Sir Pakalolo

What kind of 3rd party screen do you use, Is it a super fine, fine, coarse screen. I kind of don't like the stock screen. Just not enough holes for easy draw. I feel if I put my own 3rd party screen it may be O.K. but wondering if I could just put any screen in there, would it melt etc.. so worried about doing that. On another note, Why would a company make a product where battery was not replacable. Is it because they want us to buy more product. Seems counterproductive. Still upset I can't replace battery. I did not know when I first bought it. Just assumed its replacable like any other vaporizers out there.
I use a normal old SS screen that I cut to size. I take it out, hold it with forceps and torch it until it glows when cleaning the Summit. Get thee the spiked pipe cleaners and some ISO and you are set.

Last edited:
Sungodv,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Hey FC. why not let us delete recent posts?

You can edit the contents of a post for six hours after it is originally posted. In fact, we ask you to do that instead of making—oh I don't know, let's say three posts back-to-back. Clearly another edit choice would be to remove the contents.

pakalolo,
Reactions: Sungodv

Sungodv

Reread a few pages back and probably should have prior to buying another.
Recently got a Summit + and while it may last longer both as far as battery and (possibly) the materials holding up, as OF, I too like my Gen II version a bit more as it just seems to work better and faster. Thought maybe a regular screen would help, but no. I also miss the old lid, the newer version is way too flimsy in place, so you have the hassle of the rubber band and maybe that metal part now soaks away heat instead of insulating making it slower to respond and produce vapor.
Too bad the plastic on the first and second generation couldn't take the heating and cooling on the lid and area around the oven, or maybe it was just age of the unit and will eventually just fall apart as many of my MP's did. Maybe the ISO made it weaker? I could live with the lower battery life of a Gen I or II as they charged really fast and it still is usable, but has been Super glued back together and looks pretty crusty & rough...it will only last if babied.
We'll see how the new one fairs down the line...

Last edited:
Sungodv,

Kosherbubba

Reread a few pages back and probably should have prior to buying another.
Recently got a Summit + and while it may last longer both as far as battery and (possibly) the materials holding up, as OF, I too like my Gen II version a bit more as it just seems to work better and faster. Thought maybe a regular screen would help, but no. I also miss the old lid, the newer version is way too flimsy in place, so you have the hassle of the rubber band and maybe that metal part now soaks away heat instead of insulating making it slower to respond and produce vapor.
Too bad the plastic on the first and second generation couldn't take the heating and cooling on the lid and area around the oven, or maybe it was just age of the unit and will eventually just fall apart as many of my MP's did. Maybe the ISO made it weaker? I could live with the lower battery life of a Gen I or II as they charged really fast and it still is usable, but has been Super glued back together and looks pretty crusty & rough...it will only last if babied.
We'll see how the new one fairs down the line...

Still upset that they did not make it battery replaceable. That is a complete turn off. Now I will do research before I buy. if it was under 100 bucks than I can understand why battery is not replacable. But anything over 150 , battery should at the least be replacable.

Kosherbubba,

Sungodv

Reading my post I may have jumped the gun a bit and you can find these a bit cheaper than $120 if you look.
Now that I have had a few days w/the Plus, I think it must have broken itself in or something as I now get viewable clouds on the same setting I used on the Gen 2. I have to admit it was affective, a brand new strain to me was pretty potent, just wasn't seeing the vapor as I was accustomed to on the original until last night and now again today on the Plus. I still would like the lid keyed, except maybe opposite to the original design with a post on the body portion to keep things tidy and to negate the rubber band and to hold the lid secure...the band would be good for a possible outdoor excursion.

Last edited:
Sungodv,

Kosherbubba

Reading my post I may have jumped the gun a bit and you can find these a bit cheaper than $120 if you look.
Now that I have had a few days w/the Plus, I think it must have broken itself in or something as I now get viewable clouds on the same setting I used on the Gen 2. I have to admit it was affective, a brand new strain to me was pretty potent, just wasn't seeing the vapor as I was accustomed to on the original until last night and now again today on the Plus. I still would like the lid keyed, except maybe opposite to the original design with a post on the body portion to keep things tidy and to negate the rubber band and to hold the lid secure...the band would be good for a possible outdoor excursion.

I agree its a good vaporizer, but my feeling is that after a few years I have got a souvenier, not a vaporizer as I am not handy to replace cells or batteries. I have seen vapes for under 100 that have a battery replacement. They should have waked up and smelled the coffee if they wanted more people to buy their product. I am sure many avoid the product for that reason that the battery is not replacable.

Kosherbubba,

BreeJay

So...............I needed a vape for fishing/outdoors that is not afraid of getting wet. I have a bunch of portables, but none that suit my needs. Purchased this after much deliberation ( looking at it since the first generation.). While I have done research, one thing I haven't seen addressed one way or the other ( unless I missed it ) is how the Plus holds up over time. If I had to assume, I'd think this was due to there not being many issues. Like with the original? Cracking and such? Usually I come across a bunch more complaints when researching vapes. This one.........not so much. Any input on this subject?

Also curious.............are there any other 'weather friendly' vapes out there I haven't come across?

BreeJay,

BreeJay

You could drop a Sticky Brick Jr into the lake, fish it out, fill it and still use it.;)
Heh, sure, I could, just as I could take out my M, but both are entirely unsuitable for my needs. Personally, I find butane torch powered vapes to be useless for taking out and about. My Milaana or MFLB's would be more suitable ( take a dunking ), but both are multi pieces, and more of a pain in the arse than needed. For fishing, I am always in the water, either wading, or in an inflatable pontoon. Two handed operation needed for torch butane powered vapes is just out of the question. Also, maybe its me, but when I've tried using my M outdoors I can't see the flame from the torch at all? Another inevitability is that it will caught/used in the rain/snow. This vape should cover all my criteria.........but I'm thinking there may be something similar I haven't come across yet. :)

BreeJay,

CloudMonet

Perhaps falling on your vape after you drop it. While looking for the lid. "Gravity....is a harsh mistress."

Sorry for the necro, but nobody ever quotes The Tick, and this is one of my favorites. I use it all the time, and noone but me gets it, but that's fine as long as I'm amused.

I've had my Summit for about a month now, and am finding it pretty intermittent. Sometimes it hits great, and sometimes it's very meh. I keep the battery topped up, and I draw slowly to not cool the chamber too quickly, but I still haven't found the magic combo technique that makes this thing sing.

Anyone have a good "ritual" they'd like to share?

CloudMonet,
Reactions: duff

BreeJay

So...................this vape kind of surprised me. I'm liking it a lot more than I was expecting to. It was bought for a specific role, and as long as it did that, I was going to be happy. And it does make a great grab and go vape for the great outdoors. What surprised me was the vapor. Given the oven design/vapor path I was expecting something very similar to the Pax2. While it is somewhat similar, I would say it is also somewhat better, IMHO. Not sure why, but I actually find the vapor from this device to be more enjoyable than a number of my other vapes.......the Solo, Pax2, Ascent for instance. With those devices I usually use them with a water piece. This vape? I am rocking it a 230c with no throat irritation. I am rather perplexed as to why this is.................

Also, I would be remiss if I didn't give a shout out to Vapiums customer service. I had some issues with this purchase. I ended up having a lot of interaction with not only Vapiums CS reps, but some other staff as well. The level of attention given to fixing up my issue was tremendous. Never ever have I received better customer care from a company. Not in this industry, or any other.

Oh, and through that interaction with the staff I discovered they are a Canadian company. Did you all know that? I sure didn't.

Choices

Wanted to give this “snowplow” a bump! As a winter weather vape this is so great to use. It is easy to operate through gloves. As well it has the vibration feedback when you get to the temperature your selected from the 8 options provided. It is conduction but does well to “keep up” against a below zero chill in the air. You can find it for under $70 out there on the World Wide Web if you look a bit. Anyone else enjoying theirs during this time of the year?

Choices

Did the vapium lite replace the summit+?
I thought I saw both on their website a bit of time back. It could be it has changed....

Just checked and the Summit Plus is sold out. So it may be walking the path to discontinued status.

Choices,
Top Bottom