Discontinued The Sublimator

cow-a-bunga

I got my Sub 1.0 back from PV today after sending it in for wattage drop. According to PV, the heating element is the failing part.

My old Sub had a 80W Watlow Firerod 1328 heating element, the new Sub has a different heating element. I can't make out the brand and model of the new heating element as the letters and numbers are tiny, but I think it's from a different manufacturer.

PV replaced my old Sub with a brand new unit (Apollo and control box). I had to pay for shipping both ways, but I'm super happy with the support PV gave.

Detonator

I got my Sub 1.0 back from PV today after sending it in for wattage drop. According to PV, the heating element is the failing part.

My old Sub had a 80W Watlow Firerod 1328 heating element, the new Sub has a different heating element. I can't make out the brand and model of the new heating element as the letters and numbers are tiny, but I think it's from a different manufacturer.

PV replaced my old Sub with a brand new unit (Apollo and control box). I had to pay for shipping both ways, but I'm super happy with the support PV gave.

OK my old control box quit working and I cut it off long ago and added a watt meter. If mine ever quit now I would like PV to also help me out, and do the same.... knock on wood nothing ever happens to my precious Sub...

I really hope Planet Vapes would help me out, but if they didn't or gave me grief about my missing control box then I am really glad you made this post!

I googled 80W Watlow Firerod 1328 and got to this company - https://www.watlow.com/products/heaters/firerod-cartridge-heaters.cfm

Now when you go there you see a few parts one look like the very similar to the familiar shape we all know and love -The top of our OG Subs..

Now I know there have been a few brave souls that have opened up there subs up and gotten into the top.. Are there any pictures? Any real electricians think this is a part that could possibly be replaced DIY? hmmmm..

I just think it cool we got the part number....

I see those guy over in the New Electric Nail threads just about to re create the sub with those e-coils... I keep telling them to use a stainless bottom to hold the herb instead of glass... I'm surprised someone hasn't just bought an appolo attomizer bottom and just but there e-coil thing on top of it...

ok now I'm just baked and rambling... Hey Did Enrico really promise og sub owners a moon tool? I want one, if he did!

ps - what is a moon tool.... lol I'm going to the sub site and look for it....

Detonator

Sub is all boxed up ready to Go back to @PlanetVape

I never recived a moin tool. Maybe I will receive a moon tool for the $50.00 RMA expense?

I know it is expensive to send back...

Why is yours going back? Not heating up I guess? That orig control box is junk... for 25$ we could probably turn yours into a a working unit with a watt meter and precise control. Dude made the best vaporizer ever and put the cheapest POS dimmer switch on it...

be cool if Enrico would reply to his first followers while he flew around the world medicating his ass off....

20140412_184232_zpsn4qjt57d.jpg

20140416_045231_zpsi0cyp0hb.jpg

but I don't want to get off subject ! Where are the real electricians? This part number could be very important- 80W Watlow Firerod 1328

I googled 80W Watlow Firerod 1328 and got to this company - https://www.watlow.com/products/heaters/firerod-cartridge-heaters.cfm

Now when you go there you see a few parts one look like the very similar to the familiar shape we all know and love -The top of our OG Subs..

Now I know there have been a few brave souls that have opened up there subs up and gotten into the top.. Are there any pictures? Any real electricians think this is a part that could possibly be replaced DIY? hmmmm..

I just think it cool we got the part number....

Last edited:

Been Vapin

Fringe Class
I know it is expensive to send back...

Why is yours going back? Not heating up i guess? That orig controll box is junk... for 25$ we could probly turn yours into a a working unit with a watt meter and precise control. Dude made the best vaporizer ever and put the cheapest POS dimmer switch on it...

be cool if Enrico would reply to his first followers while he flew around the world medicating his ass off....

20140412_184232_zpsn4qjt57d.jpg

20140416_045231_zpsi0cyp0hb.jpg

Not heating up past 20 watts. I'm sure @Enrico is very busy developing more vaporware products while doing dabs from the slabs in exotic communistic countries, but they are a small company and cannot afford a prepaid shipping label.

Been Vapin,
Reactions: Detonator

Detonator

when I first brought my Sub into the head shop to look for a bong to put it on it was funny.. It took me 5 min to explain to my Mexican / American friend that was working at the shop what my Sub was and what it did.... Then I told him it cost $500 and his jaw dropped...

The funny part was when his buddy came out from the back and asked what it was, the first guy says ( in his rich Mexican accent with some ridiculing attitude )- "It a heater!" " He bought a 500$ heater! " and they laughed... I did too, but cause they didn't realize what a great heater it was..

Well I actually got mine as a xmas present... not even sure how long the warranty is? I don't have the orig receipt, and the main thing is I'd never be able to get it clean enough to mail anywhere...

So I'm really interested in the heater and exactly which one it is and how it can be replaced - https://www.watlow.com/products/heaters/firerod-cartridge-heaters.cfm?famid=5

Maybe I could go on vacation to China and just get it copied while I'm there... I would like to try some authentic Kung Pow Chicken...

Last edited:

CG420

Over the horizon u can see the edges of the Earth
Well when you put it that way it's funny cause I didn't really think about the Sub like that haha.

CG420,

jrk4d

@Detonator I have been wanting the same diy option as you. My idea it's to take my sub to an authorized watlow distributer, (easily located by Google search) show them the heater and ask if they can replace it. I don't think needs to pull any specific wattage. As long as it's the same size and gets hot, I would think with tuning, you could find a new sweet spot with several of the watlow cartridge heaters. :2c:

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I have many DH gate pieces, the most stable to use with the sublimator so far, and not risk burning your nose in the process for me are, the D022, and possibly the wp-010, the extra space from the 2nd perc on the D022 adds a good amount of distance from the face, and the base is wide so it's fairly stable. I have used it on my GB187, works, but you have your face really close to the heat, I had to do the head tilt. Consider how close the mouthpiece is to the perc. http://www.dhgate.com/product/d022-...s/184395777.html#myaccount_orderdetail-1-null

Also this wp-010 works quite well with the sub, pretty stable, http://www.dhgate.com/product/wp-01...e/166215931.html#myaccount_orderdetail-2-null

Detonator

I see the electric nail thread trying to re create the Sub.. there close but not quite there yet. IMO

Here is my thoughts on that, double deckers, full extraction and me just talking to my Sub...

Medicate it's Monday... lol

I worry the heater on my Sub could someday go out.. I think almost any e-nail / coil about the right size sitting on top of the Sub Attomizer would work just as good... I wish I knew someone with an e-nail to try it.

Last edited:

jrk4d

sorry to bring up a question i've asked recently in this thread.. But @Detonator, what did your apollo look like after your double decker? clean getaway? what wattage are you using? I just saw the errlectric nail's attempt at the sub. Do you think that flower attachment would fit on the sub atomizer?

Detonator

sorry to bring up a question i've asked recently in this thread.. But @Detonator, what did your apollo look like after your double decker? clean getaway? what wattage are you using? I just saw the errlectric nail's attempt at the sub. Do you think that flower attachment would fit on the sub atomizer?

My Apollo is fine after the double decker which was done at 34 watts, I use 34watt cause that is the best temp to vaporize these flowers on the sub, but like I said.. I think it is not the best thing to do ... I wax or concentrate vaporizes better with the sub turned all the way up... to 46 watts.. at 46 watts if I tried a double decker the flowers would combust....

Sublimator makes that UFO thing you can heat up in a camp fire or w a torch and put on top to vape... I'm sure it would take some practice to judge the exact temp and get it right... but you could

maybe a hot rock set on top of a heated up attomizer would do the same thing..? yeah probly

I think the genius of the Sublimator is in the Attomizer... It's a big hunk of stainless that is nice and hot... But it needs to be exactly the correct temp.... go back and watch Enrico early video where he explains how to mark your dimmer controll to find where the sweet spot is for vaporizing flowers.. I'm pretty sure an enail on a sub atty could do great things.. I hope I never need to find out... actually, cause mine works great

( knock on wood )

Before all the Dabs from the Slab...

How many of you followed these instructions and took 1/2 an hour finding the sweet spot and marking your control boxes before they quit working? lol Fuck it ... glad it broke cause mine is way better now that it has a digital watt meter.... Maybe the 3rd gen Sub's will get one?

Last edited:
Detonator,
Reactions: Puffers

rodders83

Payday coming up soon i think it might be time to move on to a big hitter. I think i will order an apollo and find a glass tube just for ice and no water to Enrico's advice about water trapping medicine. If i run exclusively flowers will i get sublimate oil? And how much?

I love the idea of getting oil to dab without using BHO/Chemicals makes for a very pure extract alongside kief. Also what is the difference between stainless steel and Titanium? Does the Titanium seem to discolor over time or does it retain heat better? Thanks :)

rodders83,
Reactions: VegNVape

zippy

Payday coming up soon i think it might be time to move on to a big hitter. I think i will order an apollo and find a glass tube just for ice and no water to Enrico's advice about water trapping medicine. If i run exclusively flowers will i get sublimate oil? And how much?

I love the idea of getting oil to dab without using BHO/Chemicals makes for a very pure extract alongside kief. Also what is the difference between stainless steel and Titanium? Does the Titanium seem to discolor over time or does it retain heat better? Thanks :)

I have the dab master ,when i use just flowers it does still make sublimate although not as quick as with extracts,which comes out quite quick.I think the difference between the steel and ti is the titanium holds heat better irc.The titanium will go bluey purple over time due to heat,it does make it look quite nice though.

brucee10

Did anyone from the US order direct from Sublimator? How long did it take them to get the order shipped?

brucee10,

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
Hey @rodders83 :)

Payday coming up soon i think it might be time to move on to a big hitter.
Nice move, if as you say, you're after a big hitter. The Sub rips on a monster scale :zombie: No question of a doubt.

I think i will order an apollo and find a glass tube just for ice and no water to Enrico's advice about water trapping medicine.
I know what Enrico says about losing valuable goodness to the water, and to begin with I was on the same train, but these days I almost always take the Sub to water. Certainly on occassion dry hits are a fun way to go, but on the whole I find a filled water pipe can enhance and therefore make for a far more pleasurable experience. Personally I do not really appear to notice a vast difference in effect between dry & H2O hits.

I am a frequent water refresher but even if I wasn't it would take a long while to really dirty that water up to a nasty level using the Sub, and I'm not totally sure exactly what it is that is being lost.

Additionally, you can always reclaim what has been trapped in the water if you are carefull. I have achieved this once or twice - although I was not overly enamored with the results so I have not continued to experiment, but I'm sure there are some who may have managed to retrieve something more worthwhile . . .

If i run exclusively flowers will i get sublimate oil? And how much?
You ONLY get true Sublimate if you exclusively use flower in your Sub - oils & concentrates really only create reclaim, not Sublimate :|

As for the flower to Sublimate return ratio - this varies greatly depending on strain & probably a few other factors too.

Also what is the difference between stainless steel and Titanium? Does the Titanium seem to discolor over time or does it retain heat better? Thanks
The Steel Vs Titanium debate has been discussed at length in various threads, & definitely for the Sub it was thought that Ti heats up faster. However, it now seems that the most universally agreed upon opinion is that steel actually heats up faster.

Titanium is certainly more corrosion resistant & possibly performs better with regards to longevity over repeated heat/cooling cycles.

And although I would personally not describe it as discoloration due to the word's negative connotations, Titanium does 'season' rather well, which has created some awesome bluey purps on my Apollo head :D

Have a great day! :tup:

:peace:

Last edited:

rodders83

Hey thanks both of you for the enlightenment. I understand now what is happening. And it all checks out!! No blue hue and faster heat up time is exactly what i wanted so stainless apollo it will be. Can i bug you for one last bit of knowledge? What is the new controller shown off for? And is it coming soon?

Enrico has a video on Marijuana mans channel where he talks about it and shows off the RooR 45mm attachment also. Accurate and i believe able to have temp dialled in any number and accurate to 1000th of a degree? If this is coming i want to hold off because the first gen one was pretty mank and seemed to have a limited life span. The monkey controller looks awesome but if they finally fixed everything and about about to launch 3.0 version then surely i should wait until the end of April/May?

The video was uploaded mid Febuary 2015 and he stated around a month and a half so it should be here soon?

rodders83,

MGG

Hey guys I was curious as to what would you consider an average session on the sublimator? (as in how much you'd go through in a day) for me I don't really go beyond 0.5grams in a day which seems like friggin nothing now I think about it lol!

zippy

Hey guys I was curious as to what would you consider an average session on the sublimator? (as in how much you'd go through in a day) for me I don't really go beyond 0.5grams in a day which seems like friggin nothing now I think about it lol!

Tbh i only have it on in the evening.If on my own i have five or so hits =half a gram ish.If people come over then it does get caned more maybe a couple of grams.

zippy,

herbivore21

So a new sub (well, only the controller, and it was made by a Sub user who approached Enrico with it).

Digital temperature control comes to the sub. With the timer still in it *sigh*.

Also that yellow logo roor bong which he was saying was the 2014 cannabis cup winner - am I missing something or is that just a straight glass cylinder with no perc? hahahaha how revolutionary!

herbivore21,

brucee10

So my Sub came in yesterday and I'm starting my initial learning phase. Are there units that run much hotter? I only am at a 1 and it's producing thick clouds and I might be on the verge of combusting. The AVB it puts out is much darker that my EVO ever did.

brucee10,

MGG

So my Sub came in yesterday and I'm starting my initial learning phase. Are there units that run much hotter? I only am at a 1 and it's producing thick clouds and I might be on the verge of combusting. The AVB it puts out is much darker that my EVO ever did.

lolwut, sounds broken, wtf type of heat would something like 11 be o_o lol

Top Bottom