Discontinued The Splinter by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
So I can confirm that any of the the 19/22 mouthpieces will not work with the new splinters.

BUT... I was able to use a Dremel Diamond coated cutting wheel to reduce the length to the same as the one supplied by Ryan. I bought the VF Cooling mouthpiece from 420 EDC a long with a 19/14 GonG adapter and successfully cut both down to size.

I say cut, but what I did was put the dremel in my left hand, held it on the side of a trash can so the glass dust fell into it, and slowly ground away the length by using the top surface of the cutting wheel. If you try to cut it straight off, it can break the whole piece due to vibrations. I did the grinding on a very slow setting and checked a lot as I went. After I got to the final length I rounded the cut I made on the outside with the wheel by holding it at an angle, and then used 1,000 grit sandpaper on the inside of the hole to remove the sharp edge. It worked BEAUTIFULLY.

In the cooling mouthpiece I stuffed in a piece of foam so the glass dust wouldn’t get into the mouthpiece since it seems difficult to clean. With the GonG adapater, I just rinsed it with water. Since the rimmed basket screens fell right out due to the wider opening, I just slightly bent them outwards directly under the rim and they hold in themes super firm.

Everything fits super snug, and MY GOD I AM LOVING THIS VAPE. So easy to use, and such flavorful vapes. Best product I have ever used for smoking.

HerbieVonVapster

Just received this email from Ryan.

Rumor is... 10 Splinters only $99.99 now though midnight EST... Flash Mob Sale. Pay it forward and tell your friends grass roots style.

Did I mention ready to ship Monday? No, Really... Seriously... I am just doing the final polish now. Check it live IG.

Peace,
Ryan

Edit just read posts above so none of the older stems or included ones will work with this? That just added something to consider before purchasing.

Last edited:

HerbieVonVapster

The included one will work... but not any of the older stems. Anything 19/22 will be too long. But it was pretty easy to do what I mentioned.

How about after market stems? Most of my stems are wood. Or are from milaana's and recent splinter order.
So I have to find someone to grind them down to work? Would they still work in my other vaporizers? Really don't get this one.

I was looking forward the splinter_Z. But if it's the same size glass this has dampens my desire.

Glass breaking and me have become too close of friends already.

Now finding out if I ever need to replace the glass in my splinter it could render the rest of my stem collections useless is kinda a bummer.

Really hope he's not using this size on repair item like the Milaana's. I can see some bummed out folks getting there unit back and finding there stems no longer fit.

Hopefully get some more info from Ryan on if 19/19 glass size will be used for repairs replacements.

Everything fits super snug, and MY GOD I AM LOVING THIS VAPE. So easy to use, and such flavorful vapes. Best product I have ever used for smoking.

I am glad to see your enjoying it. What mod and setting are you using? Also your vaping not smoking with the splinter :)

How about after market stems? Most of my stems are wood. Or are from milaana's and recent splinter order.
So I have to find someone to grind them down to work? Would they still work in my other vaporizers? Really don't get this one.

I was looking forward the splinter_Z. But if it's the same size glass this has dampens my desire.

Glass breaking and me have become too close of friends already.

Now finding out if I ever need to replace the glass in my splinter it could render the rest of my stem collections useless is kinda a bummer.

Really hope he's not using this size on repair item like the Milaana's. I can see some bummed out folks getting there unit back and finding there stems no longer fit.

Hopefully get some more info from Ryan on if 19/19 glass size will be used for repairs replacements.

I am glad to see your enjoying it. What mod and setting are you using? Also your vaping not smoking with the splinter :)

If you got your stem collection grinded down, or cut down in the case of the wood stems they would all still work with your existing Splinters or milaanas. 19/19 is the new standard. They are hard to find, but not hard to modify a 19/22. I am relatively handy, but it was an easy fix. 10 minutes per stem.

I am using the Weismec 2/3 by Jaybo. TUBO software, 30 watts with a 5-6 second pre heat. Turned my ohm resistance down a few clicks based on a post WAY earlier in the thread. I will eventually use cruise and TC with my bubbler, but haven’t felt the need to yet. The cooling mouthpiece makes me wonder if I am getting anything, then a giant cloud gets exhaled. =)

Thanks for the correction. Vaping, not smoking, with this is the best way to intake herb.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
They are hard to find, but not hard to modify a 19/22. I am relatively handy, but it was an easy fix. 10 minutes per stem.
No, they are not hard to find. They don't exist. They are not a standard. Everything will have to come from Ryan or be customized. Those are the only options I am aware of.
This is very sad as I am a dedicated follower of Ryan and RBT products, but if this is the future it will not include me. I am not starting over again on stems and adapters. I always understood that Ryan used 19/22 because it was a standard, albeit not the most common. That was OK because parts were available in the wild. This is not OK. :(

No, they are not hard to find. They don't exist. They are not a standard. Everything will have to come from Ryan or be customized. Those are the only options I am aware of.
This is very sad as I am a dedicated follower of Ryan and RBT products, but if this is the future it will not include me. I am not starting over again on stems and adapters. I always understood that Ryan used 19/22 because it was a standard, albeit not the most common. That was OK because parts were available in the wild. This is not OK. :(

I hear you. But I should point out that the modification was easy. Lol. I wasnt thrilled either, but the workaround was fine. I am very satisfied with this thing, and if I need a replacement mouthpiece, I’ll buy another 19/22 and do the exact same thing. I am pretty gentle with my stuff.

I agree. Not a smart move. But it wasn’t a deal breaker for me. It’s going to make it harder to sell them for sure.

If I had to guess, it was about supply and demand. Nothing more. Maybe where he was getting the old female glass from stopped offering, or this new stuff is better in some way. Reading through all the posts illudes to that fact, that there was a challenge sourcing good glass. So maybe the new glass was that depth.

I’ll say this too, which I forgot to mention in my previous posts, the 510 connection with the RBT logo on the bottom looks amazing and it feels super solid.

Summer

Long Island, NY
If you reduce your customer base to those who can customize their glass, especially for no reason I (at least) can discern, you are NOT making your company more viable. Something else that I don't understand must be going on here...

Wasn't the reason Ryan reduced the glass from 22 to 19mm do to him wanting more space between the heater & the glass for better airflow performance?

Nothing is gonna damper my wanting a Splinter Z. :rockon:

Last edited:

HerbieVonVapster

I have to agree with you there, with my hands glass was already on the way out for me in my collection. So as much as like to try the splinter Z if 19/19 might just be the final reason to pass on it.

Hoping my Milaana come home repaired with old glass size.

I hear you. But I should point out that the modification was easy. Lol. I wasnt thrilled either, but the workaround was fine. I am very satisfied with this thing, and if I need a replacement mouthpiece, I’ll buy another 19/22 and do the exact same thing. I am pretty gentle with my stuff.

I'm sure using a dremel is easy for you. it's something I'm no longer able to do. Didn't you also say the screen don't fit correct? Measuring one my stem it just looks like cutting 3mm off is a lot?

Plus the ideal paying to get 11 stems cut to fit one oddball size device even more dampen the linger desire to buy.

Please don't let our disappointment about this take away from the joy excitement of getting a new vaporizer. Should be having fun time not worry about glass that you can easily modify :)

So hows it vaping? Your one of the first people I can think of with the new glass. Curious see what if any changes where made to the splinter. You said the 510 connection is new? What the resistance running with the new one? Is it working well in TC? Or you just running it in wattage? What mod settings you find best?

Sorry so many question but curious what difference if any are other than glass :)

I have to agree with you there, with my hands glass was already on the way out for me in my collection. So as much as like to try the splinter Z if 19/19 might just be the final reason to pass on it.

Hoping my Milaana come home repaired with old glass size.

I'm sure using a dremel is easy for you. it's something I'm no longer able to do. Didn't you also say the screen don't fit correct? Measuring one my stem it just looks like cutting 3mm off is a lot?

Plus the ideal paying to get 11 stems cut to fit one oddball size device even more dampen the linger desire to buy.

Please don't let our disappointment about this take away from the joy excitement of getting a new vaporizer. Should be having fun time not worry about glass that you can easily modify :)

So hows it vaping? Your one of the first people I can think of with the new glass. Curious see what if any changes where made to the splinter. You said the 510 connection is new? What the resistance running with the new one? Is it working well in TC? Or you just running it in wattage? What mod settings you find best?

Sorry so many question but curious what difference if any are other than glass :)

The screen fitting only took a very light bending outwards from inside the basket under the rim. That, ANYONE could do. =) I had to do it with the original mouthpiece too. Every stem has slightly different inner diameter. So I wouldn’t worry about slightly modifying a screen.

How is it vaping? Incredible!!!

Settings:

Weismec 2/3 by Jaybo. TUBO software, 30 watts with a 5-6 second pre heat. Turned my ohm resistance down a few clicks to .232 I think, it was maybe .236, based on a post WAY earlier in this thread. I will eventually use cruise and TC with my bubbler, but haven’t felt the need to yet. I can confirm TC works, and really well, but haven’t wanted to mess with it to much since wattage mode is just so easy.

No one’s disappointment can temper my love for this device. It’s amazing to be able to take one hit and come back later to an unfinished micro bowl. So efficient, so easy to use. I have let friends use it who know nothing about vapes, quick directions, show them once, and it is easy to share a great time. Plus, so much healthier. I’m hooked.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
No one’s disappointment can temper my love for this device. It’s amazing to be able to take one hit and come back later to an unfinished micro bowl. So efficient, so easy to use. I have let friends use it who know nothing about vapes, quick directions, show them once, and it is easy to share a great time. Plus, so much healthier. I’m hooked.
RBT vapes are outstanding vapes and you shouldn't let anyone else's concerns effect you if they are not a concern for you. Standard glass that I could get anywhere was one of my favorite things about Ryan's vapes and it opened them up for me, but if I were starting now with non standard glass it likely wouldn't even be a concern and probably wouldn't discourage me. There is a lot to love about Splinter.

HerbieVonVapster

I have heard discussions about DNA 250 being something great. I think I will stick with the firmware from @funkyjunky.

This seems like a pretty good deal https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...836.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.35307148ruJ9kn

Not a bad mod. Matches up well with splinter.
Tech wise the newer DNA250c are close to same price and newer features.
I bought my wismec dna250 couple months ago. I haven't had any issue's with it. Is a good Mod I feel.
But for few bucks more can get lost vape paranormal DNA 250c.

Before buying you might want check this thread out lots of good suggestions.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/w...ing-for-on-demand-convection-510-vapes.25465/

Last edited:

Summer

Long Island, NY
Well, for whatever this is worth. Ryan did a stream last night that he unfortunately didn't publish. In it he discussed the change in joint size. He was finishing up the latest Splinter run, tung oiling the wood, so he was talking in bits as he was multitasking. But from what I got of it, he said that the 19/22 & 19/26mm standard has been around since the '70s bongs, & he has to do what is right for his vape to make it have the best vapor production it can. He said that he even believes that 16/15, 16/16mm joints might be even better. From what he said, I'm assuming it's because when you have a less tapered, therefore, wider joint base, the herb is distributed more evenly so the heated air is dispersed more evenly through the load creating less tunneling & more even vapor. He also said that almost all of his returns for screens being dislodged is due to 19/26 joints being inserted.

Doktor Dub

So i had only the chance to play a little bit with my splinter, but most people here seem to use kind of low Watt numbers for my feeling...
Onl done a few stems, but i seem to get ok Vapor around 40W, under that there is not much production. With 40W, i get quite good FX but not big clouds and the AVB is on the lighter side.
Is there anything wrong or is this normal? I use the splinter with a wismec Reuleaux RX GEN3 Dual Battery Mod.

Thanks in advance, have a great day!

potenthits

So i had only the chance to play a little bit with my splinter, but most people here seem to use kind of low Watt numbers for my feeling...
Onl done a few stems, but i seem to get ok Vapor around 40W, under that there is not much production. With 40W, i get quite good FX but not big clouds and the AVB is on the lighter side.
Is there anything wrong or is this normal? I use the splinter with a wismec Reuleaux RX GEN3 Dual Battery Mod.

Thanks in advance, have a great day!
I'm using a gen3 at 41 watts. There is likely some variance in resistance from Splinter to Splinter. That is at least my baseless guess.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Well, for whatever this is worth. Ryan did a stream last night that he unfortunately didn't publish. In it he discussed the change in joint size. He was finishing up the latest Splinter run, tung oiling the wood, so he was talking in bits as he was multitasking. But from what I got of it, he said that the 19/22 & 19/26mm standard has been around since the '70s bongs, & he has to do what is right for his vape to make it have the best vapor production it can. He said that he even believes that 16/15, 16/16mm joints might be even better. From what he said, I'm assuming it's because when you have a less tapered, therefore, wider joint base, the herb is distributed more evenly so the heated air is dispersed more evenly through the load creating less tunneling & more even vapor. He also said that almost all of his returns for screens being dislodged is due to 19/26 joints being inserted.
Lots of vendors use a proprietary stem system that is specific to their vape, there is nothing unusual or necessarily wrong with that. I can certainly understand that there have been problems with the 19/22mm joints, especially given that we have seen examples of people giving bad advice (someone recommended that "a little force" can make an unsealing joint seal). The desire to not have "unnecessary" repair incidents, especially self inflicted ones, is a strong one and frankly a good one.

The standard joint was a bonus that I appreciated. It by itself was far from the main reason to use RBT vapes, and those other reasons still apply whatever he ends up doing with his stems.

Added: Incidentally, while bong makers may have started using standard GG joints in the 70s, the scientific community have been using them for over a century. They needed a way to create glass tubing for chemistry and distillation and various other uses of liquids and gasses and they needed standards so that glass from around the country and around the world would fit properly together. The bong industry took advantage for obvious reasons including not having to reinvent the wheel.

Obvious examples would include scenes of scientists working from the movie Frankenstein to Back to the future...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom