Discontinued The Splinter by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
While it is possible you got a 19/19 mouthpiece (I still haven't seen one posted) the female joint on the Splinter will (should) be 22mm deep. It would make no sense to shorten the female, but shortening the male stem/mouthpiece joint might make it more compatible with rimmed screens and less likely to have any sealing issues.

almost there

While it is possible you got a 19/19 mouthpiece (I still haven't seen one posted) the female joint on the Splinter will (should) be 22mm deep. It would make no sense to shorten the female, but shortening the male stem/mouthpiece joint might make it more compatible with rimmed screens and less likely to have any sealing issues.

I may be completely wrong and I really should wait till I get home and see my new splinter before I risk sounding stupid but it's never stopped me before:lol:. Here goes- from an email that Ryan replied to me a few days ago I am under the impression that THIS new batch of splinters will have a 19/19 female joint. The new stems will be backwards compatible with other RBT units but the 19/22 stems will not be usable with these new splinters or any production units henceforth.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Well, if that is true I will be shocked and dismayed. And, sadly, it would prevent me from getting a backup Splinter because I have zero interest in a non standard joint that would be very difficult (if not impossible) to find. Any stems, adapters would have to be custom. :|

Last edited:

theborn

I just tried this thing and man, it rips. I don't know if it is the weeb or what but I'm getting massive clouds on 30-33 watts, no TCR, nothing like I was pulling on my Firefly 2. I don't know what I've been doing with my life. I'm here for this. This is exactly the way I've always wanted to vape. On-demand, no fire.

The Splinter also looks great sitting on the Triade 250c. I'm very pleased and if you are still waiting for yours it's going to be worth it I think.

SavageCore

I just tried this thing and man, it rips. I don't know if it is the weeb or what but I'm getting massive clouds on 30-33 watts, no TCR, nothing like I was pulling on my Firefly 2. I don't know what I've been doing with my life. I'm here for this. This is exactly the way I've always wanted to vape. On-demand, no fire.

The Splinter also looks great sitting on the Triade 250c. I'm very pleased and if you are still waiting for yours it's going to be worth it I think.

Stahp. The Splinter appears to ease VAS but now I need ALL the mods. Those colour DNAs look great. :ugh:

almost there

Well? :p

I don't remember where you are so you probably aren't home yet... ;)

Ummm...it’s not exactly a straight yes or no situation, lol. Let’s start with the easier answer first, new stem is 19/19. As for the female joint it is definitely shortened. With a rimmed screen attached none of my previous stems fit including the rimmed stem from my earlier splinter. Some of my stems will fit okay without a rimmed screen but about half doesn’t. None of my wpa’s fit:doh:

On a more positive note the new production unit look sexy as hell! The CNC work is visibly an upgrade from my previous model. The unit is slimmer overall and feels much smoother. 510 base looks very bad ass, feels nice and tight where it’s joined to the wood. My OG unit is boxed up for RMA so I can’t do comparison photos unfortunately.

Last edited:

Baked-not-fried

riding the Cannabreak train...
I'm finding the same thing with multiple 'same size' glass. Some fit, most don't. Especially with a rimmed screen. Not a lot of smoke shops here I can take the Splinter down and try out fits. Was wanting to get a longer stem for cooling but worried I won't get the right fit. No worries though! I found that the bent 45* glass piece that you use with the Arizer EQ balloon kit fits MY Splinter like a glove! Very nice, thick, cool rips. The mouthpiece end could use a better tip for the lips, but I'll figure that out.

Alegre

Pobre payaso
I'm absolutely loving my splinter!

Using it in wattage mode 33w-42w with my vtwo mini. Haven't messed with any other settings....don't know how and haven't needed to.

Brown, extremely even abv with no hot spots without stirring.....unless I push it to the 40+ watts.

Tasty like my milaana for sure! Hope Ryan can keep rbt going because this one's a winner!

I don't know anything about stem sizes and such but both my milaana and splinter came with the same stem, aside from the screen. I prefer the rimless one.

2myzvxk.jpg

almost there

Well, that sucks. Can you measure the female?
I measured 7/8 inch which converted to 22.225mm so the joint must be wider. I guess that makes sense bc some of my 18/22 stems fit. In any case the screen situation is a PITA, all my previous screens fall out and even the 2 that came with the unit doesn’t fit without popping out. I’ve been busy reshaping them, best I could do is making them stay on without popping out, there’s a mm gap between the rim and the end of the male joint

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Well, if it is actually 22mm+ deep than I have no concern. My concern is only that a proper US joint will fit and that is 22mm.

Screens have always been inconsistent because the ID of the stems are all slightly different and that matters a lot when seating screens. I think he went to a rimmed screen to resolve this, but that fucks with the length. I was honestly surprised when he went to rimmed screens because early on with Zion and than Milaana they were verboten.

theborn

That's a beautiful mod!!!
I'm glad I sprunged for the 250c. I was looking at the Finder 250c which is basically a rip-off of the Triade. I ended up finding the Triade for a great price and the matte black is dead sexy. Battery life is incredible. This is my first mod.

Other Splinter users, am I the only one who notices how cool the unit is (temp wise). Compared to the DVTG2, the Splinter barely gets warm and produces tastier thinker hits.

Thoroughly impressed

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
These are now sold out so this doesn't help, but I think they were just getting rid of bad stock. Mine arrived with a dead display which is apparently a common fault of the first production run of these. I asked them to replace or refund and they asked for a video showing the problem and a photo of the bar code on the box...

Predictably they ignored my request for a refund and are offering store credit, so it's Paypal dispute time :(

I am gutted as I ordered the Steam Engine with the Splinter in mind... It's probably a sign to wait for further developments. I am also dubious about how long the wood will last before splitting.

Haze Mister,
Reactions: BigJr48

ray_b

Other Splinter users, am I the only one who notices how cool the unit is (temp wise). Compared to the DVTG2, the Splinter barely gets warm and produces tastier thinker hits.
Yes, I agree, the Splinter does run cool, especially compared to the DVTG2. For me, the Splinter hits much better than the DVTG2.

Hippie

My Vapefiend order arrived this morning :rockon:

The 14mm gong adapter just fits my international waitlist Splinter without the top hat screen installed but the Splinter/Milaana cooling mouthpiece is all wrong :cry:

The cooling mouthpiece, like every other piece of glass I have, does however fit the StemPod that also arrived today :rockon: so it's not completely useless to me :)

Easywider

Simple is the way
I'm guess thats the same as this one.
https://www.420edc.com/accessories/glassware/vf-milaana-cooling-mouthpiece/

I'll be taking that out of my cart. I was just going to order one with some backup stems

I ordered a GonG
https://www.420edc.com/accessories/glassware/19-22-us-joint-gong-glass-adapter/

And this MP
https://www.420edc.com/accessories/...-19-22-us-joint-short-medium-medium-45-stems/

They both fit the Splinter and my rimmed basket screens like a glove. The basket screen that came with the splinter I really didn't like the folds inside, it makes for a pain to empty but I was able to stretch one out a bit and it makes a perfect fit for these clearance stems.
https://www.420edc.com/clearance/wide-id-long-stem-in-clear-19-22mm-us-joint-110mm-in-length/

Alegre

Pobre payaso
Still waiting for a reply of Ryan since nearly 4w :|

This was just posted at reddit by Ductaperape:

"Thanks for your patience while Ryan was in production mode. Now that he has finished up he has been taking the time to go through the backlog of emails and get everybody taken care of. Invoices for international orders have all been sent out as well. If you have been waiting to hear from Ryan and haven't gotten a reply today please let me know."

Hope you get taken care of asap!

Rasputin

Bobcat @ VLife. Le__Bobcat @ IG
Email received from RBT today.

Hey folks...first, thanks so much for the huge support over the past few weeks! It was a blast getting all of the Splinter and Milaana 2 finally built and shipped and I am exhausted and content. Currently working through the international wait list orders for Mi2 and going back through all the emails that I missed in the last few weeks. If I owe you missing items, or you have any issue at all please email me at Ryan@rastabuddhatao.com and I will be sure to get back to you as I have made a commitment moving forward to keep up on it daily. It was really nice to get some of the notes of appreciation for both the Mi2 and the Splinter. After years of practice, I fell that the these two products, although still with artistic variation, have finally come into their own.

Once of my big realizations is that selling direct has limited volume. This is why you pay retailers a premium and VapeFiend as shown me that. If a retailer is good, he earns his money by generating sales for you with his brand. There are the 'big box' vape shops that get crazy margins to sell your product and then there are more mom and pop places that will work with you. The typical model is to by a vape from China for $20 and sell it to the retailers for $50 and then they sell it for $99. These numbers work for all concerned. In my model, I make a vape for $45, and still need to sell it for $50 for the average retailer to still sell it for $99 as that is what the market will bare. So, if you are pinned at market value and the retailer needs 50% margin, the american artisan vapor maker cannot survive unless it has a great collection of retailers that will work with you by reducing there margins because they believe in your products. There are not that many of these rare breeds in this business but I have found them. Because of these forward thinkers RBT will be bringing on the best in the business: 420 EDC, Planet Vape, Vaped.com, Herb Cafe, and VapeFiend and their EU partners like Weed Gadget... ah... yeh, no not VN, VW or N (aka big box). So, if you have a favorite online vaporizer retailer or large B&M specialty vape shop that you think can meet the MOQ send em a note and tell them to contact RBT.

So, with limited direct sales after completing the wait list I was once again saved by VapeFiend. George has agreed to take a fair amount of Mi2's off of my hands to provide the necessary cash flow to continue. Mark at 420 EDC has also agreed to take some Mi2 as well as some Splinter. I will reach out to my Canadian Friends Robert (Planet Vape) and Sashin (Herb Cafe) and knowing them they will be happy to support RBT with some sale of RBT US in the coming months. This will pave the way for RBT CHINA. Now with sales secured... back to business.

As you might know, I am a creative guy and looked for a creative solution to this problem in that all I want to do is build vapes for cool people like you. So, here is the grand plan. RBT will move to an RBT US / RBT CHINA model and it goes like this. RBT US will make a few more Splinters in the current design and will then upgrade to Splinter 2 which will feature choice of exotic woods and heavy wall German Schott glass and will be hand made in the US. This will allow for a small MSRP increase to $149 allowing it to be moved to our retailers along with Milaana 2. This move will put RBT into some sales volume quickly and pave the way for RBT CHINA. RBTC will start with the Splinter. It will obviously be made from China glass and will only be offered in one or two wood types. Initial assembly of the heaters will be done at RBT US to monitor initial quality and then RBTC will move to full on assembly. Once RBTC is in full production, RBT US made units will be sold primarily through RBT but any excess will move the retailers. RBTC will then move to be the primary supply for retailers around the world.

In the short term the changes are that VapeFiend, 420 EDC and possibly Planet Vape and Herb Cafe (Canada) will be carrying RBT US product in limited quantities. RBT US will continue to produce US Splinter and Mi2 and manage the development of the China Splinter over the coming months. RBT US will also be taking on the glass production but has plans to move it to a shop in Jersey possibly by year end. Splinter Z is in sight and should be a fun showcase for the Zion refined heater, Exotic wood and heavy wall German glass. Mi2 will look to include a video of the actual unit that is being purchased and the boxes will now be numbered to allow for unique identification for sale. Mi2 will be sold in limited quantities direct and stock might gap as Splinter and Splinter Z production takes priority. There also rumors of a high flow Splinter but there is not telling if they are true.

Over the coming weeks RBT will finally have a professional www store and will be stocked with Splinter and Milaana2 with time to attend to CS and repairs and things should be running smooth by the time Splinter China lands around holiday season. However, just now starting out direct sales are slow so look for special offers here soon that should help get things moving. As always, I will start here first with special deals and offers to the RBT Gold list as well as on the Sub Reddit so stop buy and hang out and ya just might get some good deals.

Peace,
Ryan

PS - Thanks again for the support and kind emails ... it's a really good feeling to know that after Zion, TOD, Milaana, Mi-Log, PAM, XL8R, Splinter and Milaana 2 that things are finally starting to gain some traction in large part to all you cool peeps. Tell the wold RBT wants to medicate them organically :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom