Discontinued The Splinter by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

analytika

Milaana is wired to put out 40W of power.
This contradicts every representation I've seen that the milaana is unregulated, as well as two simple observations: 1) 30amp unregulated 18650 batteries (@3.3V about 100W) run the milaana hotter than 20amp unregulated 18650 batteries (@3.3V about 66W), i.e. not amp regulated, and 2) the heat potential declines linearly with the drop in voltage as the battery drain, i.e. not voltage regulated.

UPDATE: Adding to the confusion, the brand new RBT site reaffirms the milaana is unregulated, but also says it has "45W peak power". And it recommends 60 watts from the Mod for the Splinter, which is about twice the wattage often suggested here.

In short, the published information is kind of an inconsistent mess.

Last edited:
analytika,
Reactions: Easywider

almost there

I have tried:

Setting it a 40W- Do a 5 sec warm up, then draw for about 12 seconds holding the button down for about 8 seconds. While exhaling I held the button down and then repeated the inhale procedure of 12 seconds with 8 seconds on the button. On the third drag I started getting vapor. I got vapor for the next three drags with one of them exhaling more vapor than I felt going in (must be the nifty cooloing stem). The favor was good. The vapor amount was fair. Not a smoke stack, but not wispy either. I thought I was maybe on to the right path. Unfortunately when I tried to do it again I got a Device too hot message. I set it down and in a minute the message turned off

Looking at the material in the stem I was happy with the color.

I waited an hour and dropped to 37W

Did a 5 sec warm up, then draw for 12 seconds holding button for 8 seconds. I got vapor on the third draw. Then I got the device too hot message. I set it down and went back to what I was doing. When I looked over 5 minutes later the message was still on and the device was hot to the touch. I removed the battery.

Today I tried 35W. I got flavor. It was nice. I got no vapor.

I tried 36W. I got vapor on the 3rd, 4th and 5th drag. This time not as much as I had at 40W.

My results should be ignored by new users. Not only am I new to these type of devices but also I bought this set up off classified. With nothing in this chain being new except the stem it is hard to judge. I don't typically buy used, had wanted to put my hands on this device quickly to demo it for some people yesterday. That couldn't happen so hopefully that will still occur at a future date.
I think I will buy another mod box. If after a new mod box I still can't get proper operation I'll offer it up to an experienced member here at little or no charge to see if they have success.
My tubo is going into RMA for the second time for this exact issue. Discounting the different firmware’s I’m more or less sure it’s the mod. Best of luck to u in getting this resolved, I know how it feels to be full of expectation and not get the results everyone else does.

HughJundys

Waistband Optimizer
Staff member
My tubo is going into RMA for the second time for this exact issue. Discounting the different firmware’s I’m more or less sure it’s the mod. Best of luck to u in getting this resolved, I know how it feels to be full of expectation and not get the results everyone else does.

Thank you for your sentiment. Although I have a tubo being made, you are scaring me.

As a side note. I don't know if any of you are/were cigar smokers. When I used to smoke them I liked to puff on an unlit cigar for a while because I enjoyed the flavor.
Well I was sucking on my glass cooling stem from RBT unloaded. I guess all those little indentions are flavor savers. I was just pulling on an empty stem after I've sent about 8 packs through it is delicious. Problem is I look ridiculous.

HughJundys

Waistband Optimizer
Staff member
@Summer

I'm going to set up what I guess we will call a vapedate with one of the long time forum members that lives here in my town. He will be able to correct any user error on my end help me determine the issue.

Unfortunately lil' undies has been away on business for three weeks. It is very very good to have lil' undies back at home but it also means my vapedate needs to hold off for about a week.

AJS

Calm Consistency
I just like a bit hotter vapor and it is easier for me to tell when to let off the trigger as the cooling stem does such a good job at cooling I can barely feel the vapor forming or hitting my throat
I'm pretty sure you ordered an LSV when I ordered mine like a year and a half ago, good to see you around again :)

Once you get used to the short stem and exactly how the Splinter operates at each wattage and draw length, honestly, fk that hot stem. Smooth, cool vapor all the way. ...... imo of course ;)

I've dealt with hot stems, and enough is enough! I'm a cool, lax vapor kinda guy now. No harshness, just enjoyable, flavorful, smooth vapor...and massive clouds.

AJS,
Reactions: BigJr48

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
As an unregulated device, when you push and hold the button on the Milaana, the throughput is as much as 100W on the recommended (also unregulated) 18650s. (3.3V * 30A).

This contradicts every representation I've seen that the milaana is unregulated, as well as two simple observations: 1) 30amp unregulated 18650 batteries (@3.3V about 100W) run the milaana hotter than 20amp unregulated 18650 batteries (@3.3V about 66W), i.e. not amp regulated, and 2) the heat potential declines linearly with the drop in voltage as the battery drain, i.e. not voltage regulated.

Nope. It's unregulated but you forgot that there is a current-limiting device in the circuit (AKA a resistor) in the form of the mesh heater.

Review Ohm's law: the resistance is fixed (it's not in fact but for the sake of simplicity just assume it is, say 0.40ohm) You know the maximum cell voltage: 4.2V when new and fully charged and the nominal voltage is 3.7V (i.e. the value that is at the mean point of the discharge curve)

You have R and V, then from Ohm's law you get the current I.

Using the example resistance value above you would get only 34W nominal (which is more representative than computing the peak power using 4.2V as the cell will immediately sag under load anyway) and a current flow of about 9A only.

http://www.steam-engine.org/ohm.html

Last edited:

Justpassedu

I'm pretty sure you ordered an LSV when I ordered mine like a year and a half ago, good to see you around again :)

Once you get used to the short stem and exactly how the Splinter operates at each wattage and draw length, honestly, fk that hot stem. Smooth, cool vapor all the way. ...... imo of course ;)

I've dealt with hot stems, and enough is enough! I'm a cool, lax vapor kinda guy now. No harshness, just enjoyable, flavorful, smooth vapor...and massive clouds.
Yes I do remember you from the thread. Gave that 1 to a buddy I believe but it was great . Since that time I have probably owned at least 25+ other vapes & still have bunch , always searching for the best and finally found the ultimate desktop the NewVape flower pot and I don’t think anything can beat it out . I do have other desktops but that takes the cake. Been on the portable hunt lately and have a few but for on demand the splinter has been really holding its own man . Always takes a bit of time to dial in to a users liking but this one is quickly growing on me . Powerful smooth or heavy hits , I’m having allot of fun using it. Good to see you as well & glad you found another 1 you really like .

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
@analytika: I forgot to explain what you evoked in the second quote. Cells with a higher CDR will indeed run the device hotter because they have a lower internal resistance. This means the voltage will sag less under load, leading to more power.

So a 30A CDR rated cell when full will say just sag down to 3.8V where a 20A cell would sag down to 3.5V.

ray_b

You know, I was thinking, ray, the reason the 19/22 stems you have may be loose is because you may have the new 19/19 joint. Ryan did say though that the 19/19 joint was backward compatible. But since the joint is shallower, maybe the 19/22 would be wobbly in it?

Thanks for mentioning this @Summer. Is the new 19/19 joint suppose to be more compact? Here's a pic of what I've been using to check the fit, those are 5mm grid lines. The one on the left is from Alan, he calls it an 18mm GonG roasting tube. Next is one of the two stems that came with my Splinter, then three random 18mm glass fittings I had handy. The Splinter stem and the 18m/14f fitting next to it are a secure fit. The remaining three are too long to fit properly.

I measured around the inside of the Splinter from the top edge of the glass to the screen, the depth ranges from 23mm to 25mm. I would appreciate it if someone could measure their Splinter for comparison.

rGU7fiTV_o.jpg

About the wobbly, I’ll fitting joints some are experiencing - I had this same issue when I first received my Milaana over a year ago, the inner heater screen was installed higher up than it should have been and wasn’t allowing the mouthpiece/stem to seat all the way down, all it took was a bit of downward pressure and twisting of the stem to get that heater screen into the proper position.
I thought that the base the heater screen was resting on may not be properly seated but I was afraid to start pushing on it. The varying depth I measured may be an indication that this is indeed the problem.

Tuck

I keep combusting in my Splinter. I think I'm doing something wrong.

I'm down to 20 watts. Maybe my screen isn't in right? Or maybe my draw speed is too low? I'm a slow inhaler.

Tuck,

Smoke1ForMe

What wattage are you using? You need to keep the wattage lower and just do a longer preheat. What I’ve noticed is that if my splinter is cold I need to preheat for like 5-10 seconds and then I can hit it. I’ve made the mistake of kicking up the wattage after I wasn’t getting much vapor and then the splinter is already warm plus the added wattage increase makes me char it. For the most part I run it on the same wattage throughout the whole bowl until maybe the very end if I want to finish it.

I’ve also been trying TCR the settings that have worked are Titanium 1 20 watts 400 degrees. This gives me a medium brown abv, still playing with it though.

Smoke1ForMe,

AJS

Calm Consistency

I'm down to 20 watts. Maybe my screen isn't in right? Or maybe my draw speed is too low? I'm a slow inhaler.
if you're at 20W that's odd, would be pretty difficult to combust on 20W. I guess only thing to say is try to lower it even more, maybe it's your mod, maybe it's your Splinter, who knows.

AJS,

Justpassedu

20W is pretty low for that to be happening but it can be several things that play a factor : draw speed , your material may be to dry , your mod or even the splinter itself like AJS stated. Try a faster draw or a lower wattage. Close your eyes , concentrate , take a draw , when you feel the heat to start coming on a bit in your mouth let off the button and keep drawing that is if you are using the stock stem it had come with. Takes a bit for some to get the technique down but once you do it will all come natural.

Justpassedu,
Reactions: Hogni

Tuck

My little screen cup is right at the edge of the glass joint. Is that too close?

I thought it would be fine because that's how close the solo is to it's heater. But I may be doing it wrong.

Edit... Is there a place to get more stems besides rbt? Not that I don't want to support him but I figured he might be busy with the wait-lists.

Tuck,

AJS

Calm Consistency
My little screen cup is right at the edge of the glass joint. Is that too close?

I thought it would be fine because that's how close the solo is to it's heater. But I may be doing it wrong.

Edit... Is there a place to get more stems besides rbt? Not that I don't want to support him but I figured he might be busy with the wait-lists.
420 edc should have. @cannabis.pro

Also
Screens can be at the very tip. Whatever you want. Is yours a rimmed basket? If not you can also flip upside down dome style and slide it further into the male end for a different experience. That's actually how RBT uses them in his live feeds through water.

Tuck

He sent one of each. I lowered the watts to 15 and quickened my draw. It's not combusting but it's close.

Tuck,

Tuck

I'll order something else I guess?

Is there somewhere to see the live feeds later? I looked on Instagram but couldn't find them.

Tuck,

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
I have an eVic VTC Dual and an Eleaf Invoke to use with my new Splinter and Tubo X but I've never once used a box mod before.

I'd also like to make sure I'm doing the proper things for burnoff. Am I supposed to blow into an inserted dry mouthpiece a half dozen times while firing the Splinter at 70w for ten or twelve seconds? Is that a good approach for the Tubo too?

There isn't a manual floating around that I don't know about, is there?

I'll keep reading back through this thread. I read the helpful detailed posts a few pages back; I'm just looking for most idiot-proof instructions because I'm such a mod noob.

bossman,

HerbieVonVapster

Well after having the splinter for a week I couldn't be happier.
Having a milaana heater on a box mod takes the best hits the milaana offers. Then matches it to the reliability of better controlled power source. Easier to always get a great hit now. No longer needing to adjust breathing due to battery running down. Each hits like having a fresh battery.

Getting outstanding battery life too. I haven't really been keeping track but sure getting at least 20% more hits per battery.

Even thou not really splinter but related. The dna escribe software really allow you to customize. The device manager is a useful tool try out settings with. If into that kinda thing.
If not it's not that big deal. Any descent mod that can supply least 25-35 watts works. Ran great first 2 days on just a dna40 (40w)

If you're into convection on demand vaporizers, or even just wondering what's so good about RBT stuff. I feel you couldn't really couldn't go wrong with picking up a splinter.

AJS

Calm Consistency
Hey all!
For those who didn't receive it, RBT just sent out this email:

Greetings from RBT. We are sending along this note to say thank you for supporting us over the years. We are building a RastaBuddhaTao Gold list and we want you on it! To continually thank the people that got us started we are asking that you register for our news letter on our new www at the link below.

https://www.rastabuddhatao.com/mailinglist_subscribe.asp

The news letter will be our first stop for exclusive deals and offers before releasing sales to the general public. In this way we can first give back to those that have been loyal supporters along the way ahead of those are just discovering RBT in large part due to your grass roots support. For instance, when the Splinter Z is released, a special discount will be given to the folks via the news letter. When details of the new patent pending 510 fitting are released you will be the first to get the details.

We want everyone that is a fan of RBT today on this list so spread the word. Once the list grows to capacity it will be closed in the coming months to capture the key folks that have made RBT possible. Thanks for being a small group of individuals that are bucking the mainstream trend in Chinese plastic vapes to vape natural.

Peace,
Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom