Discontinued The Splinter by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Fuck n A. I have texted Ryan on his cell number several times since January and assumed he just wasn't answering but had the info. Oops, I was just told by the guy who now has his number that it hasn't been his for quite some time. Lovely.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Crush a .1 bowl in 1 fat high temp high airflow rip through water then come back to me.....when you're able to. :| to :) to :tinfoil::borg: in a minute.

RBT received my Splinter and I am EXTREMELY excited to get it back. The Mi2 is holding me over tremendously but unfortunately that glass came loose as this Mi2 wasn't really intended to be final product. Once Splinter comes back to me, I'll be sending my Mi2 in. Been using it with loose glass for a month now and I really just don't want to have to bother with making sure it doesn't fall out, holding it when I hit through glass, etc. Very excited to get the convenience of the Splinter back.

For you new owners. Just...JUST...in case. Little tip to help ensure the threading doesn't detach from the body: Do not unscrew or put strain when the unit is warm. Do not screw in insanely tight. Just screw it in and once there is resistance just chill. Don't think too hard about it, but don't over tighten. JUST in case. I'm sure everyone's units will be fine and functioning perfect, but just in case :)

Feeling like I'm missing out on the regulated RBT vape, so I'll definitely be whipping out the Zion with all this Splinter talk.

Have an awesome weekend everyone!

Never said the splinter couldn't melt someone's reality. I said natively without water it's a really smooth delivery. Which I wasn't expecting but really like.

I'll have to skip on your one mega long hydro rip suggestion as I fear I'll never be able to come back to you. I fully trust you when you say it can hit like a freight train but I prefer it in cruise mode (not talking about funkey's cruise control here). I haven't hit my VC's or GrassHopper since getting the Splinter.

The AVB is more even than the VC produces and my GH is reserved to situations where ultra stealth is needed as I'm trying to limp it through while hopper labs sort out their RMA bullshit.

Good call RE the advice on not overtightening the 510 connection, especially while warm. I try not to remove the Splinter all that often, it has its own dedicated mod.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Well, that number had been floating around since the early Zion days so I can see why he dropped it. I just didn't know. Plenty of other ways to get him, I just wasn't using them. Fortunately I didn't say anything very personal in the text... :)

Summer

Long Island, NY
Posted by Philly on VLF (VapeLife Forum):

xkrx654hy56op83l.jpg

"Chem-Si All Glass Adapter Bent 19mm Male to 11mm Female Frosted Glass Mini Whip from Amazon. Have 3 it's all I use."

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4FDUQU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2YWUIZGUW9D1Y&psc=1

"Highly advice getting these screens as well:
Hongjintian 10pcs 0.5Inch Diameter Crystal Tobacco Pipe Stainless Steel Mental Screen Filters for Crystal Smoking Pipes Use. Also Amazon."

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQMPY2V/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3GEW28C8EPG1A&psc=1

Apparently per F0nz, it's the Arizer mini-whip:

https://www.puffitup.com/Arizer-All...the-Extreme-Q-p/arz.ext-111_miniwhp-glass.htm

Assuming if this Arizer piece fits, then this one may also fit:

https://www.puffitup.com/Arizer-Air-Solo-Curved-Mouthpiece-Black-p/qctq.solo-curv_bla.htm

If anyone has a Solo/Air, see how these stems fit & your opinion. Thanks.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal

Other Side

Retailer
Retailer
@cybrguy, I don't yet know the difference between US & ISO so maybe someone else knows in terms of the Arizer stems.

@Other Side, I'm gonna order a heat sink from Fasttech. They come 22, 24, 25 & 27mm. The 27mm being the largest size would be preferable right? Thanks!

https://www.fasttech.com/category/0/-/-/p/2?sort=r&keywords=heat+aink
I would not go larger than 25. If you intend on using it on something like the Pico you will more likely have clearance problems with the battery cap.

kuzko

Just received my walnut Splinter today. Wow, even more beautiful than the pictures, way smaller than it looks too. I’m so glad I went with the Amber glass, looks really nice. I’m charging my mod tonight so won’t try out the Splinter until tomorrow probably. I’m just going to start out in VW mode for now, I think I read someone here said for newbies to start out at 25W?

mucsusn

60 going on 20
That’s a very conservative start.....then just take it from there. Mine never leaves its mod (LostVape Therion DNA166) and my Splinter is very happy at 50W. I think everyone has a different sweet spot based on technique and grind. Used mine last night night before bed with a flower/kief sandwich. This thing kicks ass!

Oh, and TopHat screens for me.....

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Just received my walnut Splinter today. Wow, even more beautiful than the pictures, way smaller than it looks too. I’m so glad I went with the Amber glass, looks really nice. I’m charging my mod tonight so won’t try out the Splinter until tomorrow probably. I’m just going to start out in VW mode for now, I think I read someone here said for newbies to start out at 25W?

This depends on what you want your experience to be like. First, how long can you hold the button before your box mod times out? The default for most is 10 seconds. If that's what yours is, then 25W will deliver some light but flavourful vapour. To get thick vapour you'll have to bump the power up because 10 seconds doesn't give the heater a lot of time to warm up. If you can increase the timeout to say, 20 seconds, then you can extract thicker but still tasty vapour at 25W, and in fact this is how I've used my Splinter most of the time. Of course, higher power gives both faster and thicker vapour.

Having said that, I was talking to RBT yesterday and he mentioned that he'd finished a full stem using just 19W, which is lower than I'd ever tried. For science, I bumped my timeout to 40 seconds and set my Cuboid to 20W. While it takes a while to start producing vapour, I found this worked really well. I need to do more testing, but I finished off a full stem at 20W with satisfying (for me) results. It just takes a lot longer because of slower heat-up and production. The ABV looks nice and even but a lighter colour than it would if I'd used 25W. This is definitely a method I want to explore. I'll put the next stem through the Orbiter so I can observe the vapour production.

@mucsusn, 50W is pretty high (see what i did there?), have you ever reached combustion in the Splinter?

mucsusn

60 going on 20
This depends on what you want your experience to be like. First, how long can you hold the button before your box mod times out? The default for most is 10 seconds. If that's what yours is, then 25W will deliver some light but flavourful vapour. To get thick vapour you'll have to bump the power up because 10 seconds doesn't give the heater a lot of time to warm up. If you can increase the timeout to say, 20 seconds, then you can extract thicker but still tasty vapour at 25W, and in fact this is how I've used my Splinter most of the time. Of course, higher power gives both faster and thicker vapour.

Having said that, I was talking to RBT yesterday and he mentioned that he'd finished a full stem using just 19W, which is lower than I'd ever tried. For science, I bumped my timeout to 40 seconds and set my Cuboid to 20W. While it takes a while to start producing vapour, I found this worked really well. I need to do more testing, but I finished off a full stem at 20W with satisfying (for me) results. It just takes a lot longer because of slower heat-up and production. The ABV looks nice and even but a lighter colour than it would if I'd used 25W. This is definitely a method I want to explore. I'll put the next stem through the Orbiter so I can observe the vapour production.

@mucsusn, 50W is pretty high (see what i did there?), have you ever reached combustion in the Splinter?
No, I think that I may just have a unit with higher (or lower, not theoretically sure which) resistance. She gets warm, but doesn’t burn me (see what I did there?) and behaves very predictably. One of my everyday go-tos

kuzko

Tried out my first bowl in the Splinter. So turns out my mod has the 10 second shut-off you mentioned. What’s weird, and this might be a problem with my mod, is that if I let it hit the 10 second shut off the mod goes dead and won’t let me even access the screen for like 5 minutes? So I learned to let go of the fire button at about 8 or 9 seconds and then just repress the fire button to keep chugging.

At 25W I was getting a lot of flavor but not much visible vapor so I jacked it up to 30W. This worked to produce vapor faster. I hold the fire button down to preheat for 3-5 seconds then take a sip and reheat before it gets to the 10 sec shutoff. I thought this vape was going to need long slow draws but I’m actually getting good hits just preheating and sipping.

To load, I took a DDave Tubo rimless basket screen and shoved it backwards up the stem and then load and cap it with a Splinter basket screen. So my material is a bit further away from the heater than some.

I’m hoping I can figure out how to re-flash the software on my mod and hopefully that will fix the 10 second shut off failure, and maybe even figure out how to extend the 10 sec to 20 like you mentioned. I am using a Wismec Sinuous P80, which is a single 18650 mod, so far the single battery isn’t too bad, seems to be holding charge a little better than the Tubo.

This was just my first session so I’m sure I have more to learn and dial in with this vape but so far I’m loving it and glad I was able to pick one up. Thanks to RBT for making such a quality product.

vvPZB79.jpg

Summer

Long Island, NY
@Other Side, since a 27mm heatsink you deem too big, what mm heatsink are you or did you use cause (22, 24 or 25?) that's what I'll order.

This is part of a pm I wrote:

I took the Splinter out on her (or rather, his ;)) maiden voyage tongiht. After 4 hits, I know I'm gonna enjoy this vape. For me, it's like having a Mi2, but with the added pleasure of having the adjustability & personalization of a mod. Besides, a mod feels good in my hand, but not a hunk of wood.

Although I really like the S's straw-type stem, it is harsh on the back of the throat if you want nice clouds. Even the nano w/ a stem is too harsh so I strictly use it through water. Besides, I don't like the way the stem interfaces with the nano, but I really like the feel of the S's stem on the cartridge.

I was at 35 watts & got nice full-clouded hits. I wouldn't want to go any hotter. I tried 30, but it wasn't warm enough for clouds, just total flavor, so somewhere between 31 & 35 (on this particular mod -- Eleaf iStick Power) will be right for me in wattage mode w/o water. Then I'll finger out wattage w/ water & then on to SS & TCR w/ & w/o water.

This mod is a great e-cig mod & for the S, it does what it's supposed to, but I would like something more ergonomically suited to me. Mine also has a 10-sec cutoff & I'd like it to have at least 15 if not 20. I'd also like a mod that is both 1 & 2 battery capable as I'd mostly only be using 1 & I'd like more accessible buttons as the buttons are too tiny for my fingers. But it'll have to wait until I have time to research. No rush as it suffices for the learning curve about mod fundamentals & the specifics of using a mod w/ the S.

The S is gonna shine w/ water.

I'm delighted with this purchase. :rockon:

Last edited:

Other Side

Retailer
Retailer
@Other Side, since a 27mm heatsink you deem too big, what mm heatsink are you or did you use cause (22, 24 or 25?) that's what I'll order.

This is part of a pm I wrote:

I took the Splinter out on her (or rather, his ;)) maiden voyage tongiht. After 4 hits, I know I'm gonna enjoy this vape. For me, it's like having a Mi2, but with the added pleasure of having the adjustability & personalization of a mod. Besides, a mod feels good in my hand, but not a hunk of wood.

Although I really like the S's straw-type stem, it is harsh on the back of the throat if you want nice clouds. Even the nano w/ a stem is too harsh so I strictly use it through water. Besides, I don't like the way the stem interfaces with the nano, but I really like the feel of the S's stem on the cartridge.

I was at 35 watts & got nice full-clouded hits. I wouldn't want to go any hotter. I tried 30, but it wasn't warm enough for clouds, just total flavor, so somewhere between 31 & 35 (on this particular mod -- Eleaf iStick Power) will be right for me in wattage mode w/o water. Then I'll finger out wattage w/ water & then on to SS & TCR w/ & w/o water.

This mod is a great e-cig mod & for the S, it does what it's supposed to, but I would like something more ergonomically suited to me. Mine also has a 10-sec cutoff & I'd like it to have at least 15 if not 20. I'd also like a mod that is both 1 & 2 battery capable as I'd mostly only be using 1 & I'd like more accessible buttons as the buttons are too tiny for my fingers. But it'll have to wait until I have time to research. No rush as it suffices for the learning curve about mod fundamentals & the specifics of using a mod w/ the S.

The S is gonna shine w/ water.

I'm delighted with this purchase. :rockon:
It really doesn't matter unless you are using it on small mod like the Pico where only a 22mm will fit. I'd probably just go with that and be done with it. That way you can still use it on a larger mod if you want but have the flexibility to go smaller too.

Glad you are enjoying the Splinter as well. It's fun! Can't wait to get mine back in action!

sativa2liter

lost in orbit
Seeing as how I only joined the list a month ago, I’m definitely in for a long wait :rip: Also this might have been asked/answered before, but are there any plans for custom firmware for the Splinter in the works? Or is it intended for wattage only? I know @AJS has had success with the tubo firmware, but it’s not specifically tailored for the splinter.

Summer

Long Island, NY
@sativa2liter, I'm gonna bet my last dollar that there never will be Splinter-specific firmware, however you can also go with the Arctic firmware. You can use wattage, TCR & SS modes. Don't know anything about SS yet, but I'll learn. The Arctic & Tubo firmware should be more than adequate choices if you choose to upgrade.

hoyo77

MY Splinter arrived yesterday and i took her for a test drive. I started at 25w and i was not getting much vapor..i was getting a ton of flavor. Cranked it up to 30w and i got a little more vapor and still great taste. At 35 watts i was getting clouds and the vapor coughs. I think 35w is going to be the max and i will cruise around the 32 - 34w range. I love the resistance i get from the stems. This thing really got me medicated off my first test drive. So much that i had to put it down for a few moments. I love the personal handwritten not that i got from Ryan as well. I really dont know what else you can improve on this bad boy but trust me when he makes his improvements i will be buying another one as well. I am using this mod for now, it is wattage only but i love the form factor and the story behind the mod. Squid Double Barrel 2.1....i got a gtrs V-boy 200 for when i decide to fool around with temps...to be honest wattage mod does me just fine!!

http://squidvape.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1707

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom