Discontinued The Splinter by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Depends on how easy loading/reloading is...

14mm will prob be better even though my tolerance warrants 18mm... But it is true this prob won't be aimed to be someone's main device so yeah... 14mm sounds right.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Perhaps from a marketing and branding aspect , making the Mi-510 a 14mm would provide more choices/diversity within your line of products, therfor attracting both heavy hitters and micro-dosers to RBT. heavy hitters could still use it, just like Micro-dosers can still use the Milaana or Zion. Hard hitters still have the best of both world really being if Mi-510 ain't for them they still have Milaana or Zion fo choose from within RBT's vape line. Me Vote 14mm . More compact even if just 4mm difference. Milaana and Zion not being too stealth , this would give your clients a stealthier option too.

Last edited:

xer0

Maybe varying sizes based on preference and need?

Thinking about what Smok did with the TFV8. Baby, Big Baby, Beast, and King. All based on the same tech but scaled to work for everyone based on their needs.

If there is only 1 size I would prefer 14mm. If I want the full Milaana experience I will reach for my Milaana. For a 510 vape IMO the goal should be to make it as small/stealthy as possible. Ideally it would fit in with other e-cig components. Much easier said than done for sure especially when considering it is a convection vape. But that would be my goal.

That being said if the Mi-510 works with TC devices I will happily get in line to pay for one. :)

Last edited:

Prolusio

My vote is for 18mm. I'm not sure how much smaller the unit would get if reduced to 14mm; might not be enough size reduction to warrant extra design work. But size isn't a big concern for me regardless.. To me the biggest reason to do 18mm is with the reducer I have the option to easily do 18mm or 14mm, which I feel is a fantastic almost signature feature of the RBT line.

To me the main goal of this project seems to be to showcase the power and quality of the RBT heater tech at a lower price point than the Milaana; and to get it into as many hands as possible by piggybacking on the box mods many already have. With these aspects in mind I feel that stealth and portability are secondary concerns for me when it comes to the MI-510. I think the main feature of the MI-510 should be simply making the device as close to the Milaana experience as possible.

I'd still support the project either way though as I do enjoy using my Milaana with the 14mm anyway! Whatever gets the heater tech into the most people's hands!

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
My vote is for 18mm.

To me the main goal of this project seems to be to showcase the power and quality of the RBT heater tech at a lower price point than the Milaana; and to get it into as many hands as possible by piggybacking on the box mods many already have. With these aspects in mind I feel that stealth and portability are secondary concerns for me when it comes to the MI-510. I think the main feature of the MI-510 should be simply making the device as close to the Milaana experience as possible.

You found the answer to the problem that didn't exist lol great logic and explanation. 18mm does seem like the best choice to go with. Also good knowing you use the 14mm with great results, which makes it versatile to all . Suppose the adaptor could be sold at same place so buyer could do a one stop shop.

danald2000

@Prolusio very well said.

I guess the size of the stem would come down to how @RastaBuddhaTao envisions the Mi-510 being used. If this were to simply be a cheap and efficient way to get a regulated milaana heater to the masses than I agree 18mm would the size. If Mi-510 is supposed to be the 510 vaping attachment that will allow for stealthy toking of dry herb (like it were e-juice) than I think a 14mm size would allow for this stealthy vaping to be reached more successfully.

AJS

Calm Consistency
For me the smaller load just doesn't contain enough of the flavor goodies for more than one hit. So for my usage, 14mm = One-Hitter.:2c:
This is an interesting point. I think the 14mm gives a denser vapor due to it all being concentrated in a tiny spot, and if you keep the temp medium, you can get multiple flavorful hits. Only if I really rock the temp early will the flavor go bad (which I normally only do for the last few hits after savoring flavorful clouds).

I see your point though, bigger bowls = more herb = longer flavor ... I guess I've just adapted my temperature preferences in order to hone in on the flavor as compensation for smaller bowl.

Honestly surprised I'm seeing this many 14mm lovers @DDave LOOK AT WHAT YOU'VE DONE!!!

I'm high tolerance so 14mm and reloading more is cool as I'm all about that taste.
While I 100% agree with you ... unfortunately for on the go use, this isn't preferable for a majority of people imo.
If stems could become cheap enough (if it was $30 for a 5 pack of DDave mini stems which I highly doubt I see happening...) you could just pre-load stems with a custom cap and have a little case that isolates each stem with a tiny strap it slides into. Wouldn't have to be big in the slightest and would allow stem swapping within seconds.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
But it is true this prob won't be aimed to be someone's main device so yeah...

Why wouldn't it become someone's main device? More and more people are using the "Eraser" version of the Project as their daily driver for instance, why do you think it would be different here?

if Mi-510 ain't for them they still have Milaana or Zion fo choose from within RBT's vape line

The availability of these two other models on the long run is absolutely not warranted. Refer to the "Plan" said the Man...

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I've never owned a Milaana, but I do have an Arizer Air and some experience with stems. Personally, I'm not worried at all about reloading a 14mm stem. The spent material will fall right out when the stem is still warm, no tools necessary, and you can reload using the straw method.

FOR ME, I would never bring a bunch of extra pre packed stems as it's more stuff to carry than just re-filling. I bring a tiny container of pre ground material and it's always done the job. I don't know, when I think of some of the places we used to puff a joint at, it seems like a non issue to me to find a quiet spot for 5 seconds to load a stem, just my opinion of course.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
The availability of these two other models on the long run is absolutely not warranted. Refer to the "Plan" said the Man...

Could you please elaborate ? What plan? Rbt plan ? What is it if you know ? Why the 14mm or 18mm question if there is a plan in place already ??? Just to say they asked FC yet already have answer ?

mod note: Edited to fix broken quote

Last edited by a moderator:
P.A.M.,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
The Plan is to make RBT sustainable as a business, otherwise it will just cease to exist.

Currently the Milaana sales are not achieving that goal, and the projected Zion sales are also low. The Mi-510 and Mi-Log have potentially a better chance of being a commercial success, so they are the way forward and the focus of attention.

What Ryan didn't make clear enough is that the Mi-510 will absolutely not be a watered-down version of the Milaana, to the contrary! It's the same heater but instead of an unregulated power source you will get regulation, battery protection (reverse polarity protection, over-discharge protection, over-temperature protection, over-current protection) and integrated charging via USB, thanks to the mod own electronics.

We might even get temperature control down the road if TC mode works with the RBT heater. So if the Milaana is your daily driver, there's no reason the Mi-510 won't take its place with all these improvements.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Thank you , @KeroZen . I better understand the context now..

I think the solution is to make it 18mm and offer the 14mm adaptor as an extra option for the Mi-510. Satisfy both crowds this way ? I know (think) @DDave makes the milaana 14mm adaptor, is that right ? Maybe Dave and Ryan could partner up so that the 14mm is offered from same point of purchase.

I think that could be attractive for a non-FC member who would find the product elsewhere on the Internet or store. One stop shopping experience.

HD Springer

Thank you , @KeroZen . I better understand the context now..

I think the solution is to make it 18mm and offer the 14mm adaptor as an extra option for the Mi-510. Satisfy both crowds this way ? I know (think) @DDave makes the milaana 14mm adaptor, is that right ? Maybe Dave and Ryan could partner up so that the 14mm is offered from same point of purchase.

I think that could be attractive for a non-FC member who would find the product elsewhere on the Internet or store. One stop shopping experience.

If it's an issue Of 14mm or 18mm as far as being a little high or really high I'm not sure there's that big of difference between the two. What I'm trying to say and not doing a very good job of is I think a 14mm sized opening will get you just as medicated as the 18mm. I'm not sure there's that much of a correlation between the two.
I do realize your probably referring to bowl size and or load size but In my eyes it's more of an issue in the heat source department and the Rbt brand heaters will get you very medicated no matter the size of the stem/mouthpiece opening and load. Just my own opinion and I'm sure others think and feel differently.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Why wouldn't it become someone's main device? More and more people are using the "Eraser" version of the Project as their daily driver for instance, why do you think it would be different here?

Hm. You're right. I am not designing the product so I don't know how/who/what precisely it is intended for.

I know that personally, I would much rather use a Milaana (or a 14mm version of a milaana) rather than some random boxmod+a 510 milaana heater. It just looks more cohesive? I dunno. My opinion is definitely my own.

18mm probably makes more sense, as those who want to use 14mm can just get a reducer, drop it in and forget it exists.

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
Thanks to all for weighing in with expert feedback as always. The starting point will be a Milaana on a 510. It will be a little on the chubby side... 33 mm diameter so hopefully the trend in 40 mm tanks continues. A Zion beast will also be unleashed at least in Beta form. I have also had thoughts of making a Zion e-Log that would have HI log with a lead to a 510 connection... but I haven't mentioned it to @Alan yet so best not to get ahead of myself... just wondered what you all thought of the idea. Anyway, yeh the 14 mm would be easy as it is just a scaled down Milaana with an OD of around 29 mm. Thought is session and water at home with the 18 and maybe the 14 might be warranted if the size can be reduced sufficiently for pocket carry

The 14 mm alpha unit will spend some time with a stateside beta tester and if it passes the test I will send it up to my northern friend @pakalolo. I am confident that it is far better than the little bugger time will tell.

This will be a straight voltage control device. In keeping with the RBT theme of simplicity, voltage control is as high tech as it gets.. lol. Given my understanding of temperature control RBT tech should perform better than most... quick, someone hook a fake battery to a 510 lol.

All good stuff but all will wait for Zion.... man, I forgot how killer Zion vapor was :)

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
@RastaBuddhaTao Not like you don't already have enough projects, but I feel like there should be a Mi-510-Conc version that employs a crucible wrapped with your mesh heater or atleast a band at the top of the crucible and another on the bottom to make the concentrate move towards the moddle of the crucible rather than over the top. Your heater with TC from the box mod and a crucible with a dab/loading dart system would be the best option for my concentrates IMHO. Just put it on the back burner maybe...

grokit

well-worn member
Imo it would be pretty cool if there was an alan log with an rbt heater, where the base was modular between a plug-in/110v version and another base that was a battery pack. Tbh it makes me think of the minivap but I've never used that one. I am overall more exited about another protoproject, being the small lightweight ac-powered alan log with an rbt heater, and I wouldn't want it to gain too much weight just to make it modular when I already have the portable bases covered with milaana and am soon-to-be zioned.

:sherlock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom