Discontinued The Splinter by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Exactly, I was recalling a edit timeout of 6hrs but I was way out of this window when I edited the post I am talking about... nevermind, will ask a mod

The edit window is for six hours after the post is made. I don't know how you managed to edit a post older than that, but we only enforce the first six hours.

So so so fucking fun, such a joy just setting the temp and forgetting. Attach it to a bubbler or a whip and you basically have a home unit set and forget vape in the palm of your hand with instant heatup time. So excited. @funkyjunky you are the man. Thanks so much all the help!

I agree 100%. I've just installed the @funkyjunky firmware. This is a really nice thoughtful interface. I'm using TCR set for 15 seconds at 160°C because I like to microdose at low temperatures. I find this is how to get the most flavour. For the last 5 seconds, I'm getting some nice vapour, more than just wisps but not huge clouds. I experimented enough with the Joyetech firmware to know that if I wanted thick clouds, I'd have no trouble getting them by just increasing the temperature. I'm saving that test for later.

Finally figured out how to calibrate the coil tcr to match what seems to be a pretty accurate temp .... and holy fucking shit cruise mode is the bomb.

How did you go about determining what value to use? I haven't changed this and mine reads .245Ω.

AJS

Calm Consistency
How did you go about determining what value to use? I haven't changed this and mine reads .245Ω.
Well my heater glowed red within like 5 second so instantly knew it was way too hot. Just turned down the could tcr and took a hit or 2, repeated, repeated, until 390 felt like 390. Until 360 provided great flavor and little vapor, and 400 could finish a bowl without blackening it. I think if you can match those vaping results at those temps then it's pretty accurate, because that's similar to how my other temperature regulated vapes behave. Taste and abv at each temp setting same as my Solo 2 are all very similar. I used that as a reference. Keeping mine .236 or so and that seems perfect for my mod.
_____
Brought the Splinter to my friends house who I recently sold my old Milaana. Set it on 360 for flaves on cruise mode and was really enjoyable between the two of us. Just told him to treat it like a Milaana he didn't need to throttle and he took to it instantly. Bumped up to 375-385 and chilled on that with huge clouds. Almost instantly he said he was heavily feeling the effects. Used 405 to finish it off, flavor got poorer but abv was near flawless darkish brown without a single hot spot. Having steady temp makes an incredible difference in vaping performance compared to my other mod.

I'm blown away with how much I look forward to using this vape. Now that the abv is consistent it is right on par with Zion but in just a different way. My absolute biggest gripe before was the abv, so now it's just a near perfect vape. Still haven't gone for massive water rips yet ... THAT is the true test. Standby boys, standby.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Well my heater glowed red within like 5 second so instantly knew it was way too hot. Just turned down the could tcr and took a hit or 2, repeated, repeated, until 390 felt like 390. Until 360 provided great flavor and little vapor, and 400 could finish a bowl without blackening it. I think if you can match those vaping results at those temps then it's pretty accurate, because that's similar to how my other temperature regulated vapes behave. Taste and abv at each temp setting same as my Solo 2 are all very similar. I used that as a reference. Keeping mine .236 or so and that seems perfect for my mod.
_____
Brought the Splinter to my friends house who I recently sold my old Milaana. Set it on 360 for flaves on cruise mode and was really enjoyable between the two of us. Just told him to treat it like a Milaana he didn't need to throttle and he took to it instantly. Bumped up to 375-385 and chilled on that with huge clouds. Almost instantly he said he was heavily feeling the effects. Used 405 to finish it off, flavor got poorer but abv was near flawless darkish brown without a single hot spot. Having steady temp makes an incredible difference in vaping performance compared to my other mod.

Interesting, because that's what I did too. Even though it was set at 160°C, I felt that at the end of 15 seconds it tasted and felt more like a 190°C hit. I looked at your photo and based on that I dropped the resistance to .235Ω. Now it's producing the flavour and feel that I expect at 160°C.

I just set it back to .245Ω for a test, and sure enough eventually the heater started to glow. I hadn't been hitting it long enough to see that. I don't know where the original .245Ω came from, but I suspect it's the right setting for a Tubo. It's clear that changing this setting is critical for Splinter owners, because that default is too high and will result in inferior performance and quite possibly combustion.

I'm blown away with how much I look forward to using this vape. Now that the abv is consistent it is right on par with Zion but in just a different way. My absolute biggest gripe before was the abv, so now it's just a near perfect vape. Still haven't gone for massive water rips yet ... THAT is the true test. Standby boys, standby.

Sacrificing myself once more in order to advance science, I have already tried to milk up my WP-010. I set up a 20 second cruise at 190°C (375°F) and went for it. I had no trouble at all pulling a thick cloud, and it's well known that I'm not much good at this sort of thing.

Edit: Holy yum yum, I just did it twice more. Big tasty clouds, and it looks like I can get another hit out of this (~.05 g Pink Kush). I'm not sure that I should try but if I don't, how will we ever know? Science is hard.

HD Springer

Interesting, because that's what I did too. Even though it was set at 160°C, I felt that at the end of 15 seconds it tasted and felt more like a 190°C hit. I looked at your photo and based on that I dropped the resistance to .235Ω. Now it's producing the flavour and feel that I expect at 160°C.

I just set it back to .245Ω for a test, and sure enough eventually the heater started to glow. I hadn't been hitting it long enough to see that. I don't know where the original .245Ω came from, but I suspect it's the right setting for a Tubo. It's clear that changing this setting is critical for Splinter owners, because that default is too high and will result in inferior performance and quite possibly combustion.

Sacrificing myself once more in order to advance science, I have already tried to milk up my WP-010. I set up a 20 second cruise at 190°C (375°F) and went for it. I had no trouble at all pulling a thick cloud, and it's well known that I'm not much good at this sort of thing.

Edit: Holy yum yum, I just did it twice more. Big tasty clouds, and it looks like I can get another hit out of this (~.05 g Pink Kush). I'm not sure that I should try but if I don't, how will we ever know? Science is hard.

When your throwing mind,body and soul into your work it almost makes it feel as if it’s not even work to begin with.

AJS

Calm Consistency
I'm not sure that I should try but if I don't, how will we ever know? Science is hard.
As @pakalolo nearly kills himself testing different methods of this vape, I nearly broke my back just now trying out the microdosing. All this self sacrifice really takes a toll on the body.

I'll leave it at this. If you are a microdoser and have a 14mm adapter and 14mm baskets screens, this will move to the top of your list. The smallest amount of herb gave me insane thick clouds like my really hot Milaana but with a steadier temp and more even abv. And the effects are leaving me struggling for life. Just as I think I'm taking my last breath a second wind from Mary Jane herself revives me. So I take another hit. And I've never felt more alive.

s9nmVYJ.jpg

Alegre

Pobre payaso
As @pakalolo nearly kills himself testing different methods of this vape, I nearly broke my back just now trying out the microdosing. All this self sacrifice really takes a toll on the body.

I'll leave it at this. If you are a microdoser and have a 14mm adapter and 14mm baskets screens, this will move to the top of your list. The smallest amount of herb gave me insane thick clouds like my really hot Milaana but with a steadier temp and more even abv. And the effects are leaving me struggling for life. Just as I think I'm taking my last breath a second wind from Mary Jane herself revives me. So I take another hit. And I've never felt more alive.

s9nmVYJ.jpg
Woohoo!! Thanks again!

Now I'm really getting excited about this vape!

Alegre,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
The infamous photos of exploding box mods would do a decent job discouraging me from going too cheap. JMO of course... :rolleyes:

cybrguy,
Reactions: Summer

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
The Splinter is intended to be used with your mod box in Power mode using the original firmware. That's how I started out. I found 27.5W to be similar to 160°C, and 35W was about the same as 190°C. The protection cutoff was only 10 seconds, but you could pulse if you needed to. I was happy.

Then people encouraged me to try the firmware @funkyjunky worked up for the Tubo, so I did. This gave me an amazing number of settings to tweak, and by nature I love to mess with the settings. The first thing I changed was the resistance, about which I said:

I don't know where the original .245Ω came from, but I suspect it's the right setting for a Tubo.

I've been chatting with @funkyjunky and learned that the value I assumed might be for the Tubo is actually the Cuboid's reading of the resistance for the Splinter. This makes sense, and if I'd thought it through I might even have realized this myself. He also told me that he typically finds that for Tubos, this readout is about .010-.015 too high, which is consistent with what @AJS and I have found for the Splinter.

My testing led me to these settings: I've lowered my resistance to .232Ω, set TCR to 175 (I can't recall why), and set protection at 20 seconds. When I cruise at 160°C, I get tasty smooth vapour that is thin but not too wispy. This is consistent with 160°C on other devices. I don't use high temperatures much, but I tried 190°C and got pretty much what I expected for that temperature: vapour that is hotter, harsher, a lot thicker but not as tasty. Since these settings work for me, that's where I'll leave them.

Caution: these are just my impressions. No thermal probes were used in the preparation of this post.

sickmanfraud

Guys, If anyone is still looking for a Box on which to attach a splinter I found a really inexpensive box mod that can take one or two 18650's.

For under $20 I may order an extra for myself.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...71227044717&SearchText=joyetech+evic+vtc+dual

There are duals available for under $20 up to over $40 just buy the cheapest

@cybrguy If you don't want a box mod that is too cheap you can follow the link above so you can spend $50+ for the exact same mod.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Ohhh, that sounds like a plan. Can you find me a more expensive source while you are at it? I have been paying too little for cannabis lately...

I get your point, but mine is also valid. Shopping only by price often leads to counterfeit and/or inadequate goods, like batteries full of powder and clothing that falls apart. In a mod that could be quite dangerous. And Aliexpress happens to be the king of counterfeit. That doesn't mean that everything they sell is counterfeit (I know its not), but it always makes me wary.

When I finally dive in to this I will be glad to pay a little more if I have reason to trust the source. And given the nature of this product, there is a lot of garbage out there so trusting your source has value.

Quick question, what does a $250 mod have that a $50 mod does not? Why is there such a range in pricing?

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I realize there's an overlap here but discussion about mod boxes in general belongs in its own thread. Thanks for cooperating, guys.

Back to the Splinter: last night I once more embarked on a voyage of scientific discovery and wrapped a tiny dab of OG Coma pressed resin in a little ball of hemp fiber. Using my Orbiter, I first tried 190°C and got some nice thin but tasty vapour. (All hits are 20 seconds long.) I stepped up to 210°C (thicker) and then 230°C, the thickest. From examination of the hemp fiber, I concluded that higher temperatures risked scorching the hemp, since it was pretty black at 230°C. The nice thing about the experience was how long the resin lasted. If you're content with the vapour at 210°C, which I would be, then you can stretch out a dab's worth over several hits. I forgot to count how many, not very scientific I know.

The greatest challenge for the Splinter, as it is for just about any vapourizer, is how well it can handle lumps of the traditional pressed hashes of my youth, such as Afghani Black. By coincidence, I happen to have some tiny pieces of Afghani Black right here in my Orbiter. Follow along as I explore the boundaries of Splinter science.
  • At 160°C, I get a slight flavour hit but nothing else.
  • 175°C yields a trace of vapour, but not much more flavour.
  • 190°C produces lots of visible vapour, flavour is more obvious.
  • 205°C is thicker yet.
  • 220°C gets a thick cloud.
While the taste becomes more obvious every time I step up the temperature, I don't notice as much flavour as I remember from my combustion days. Hash was always the tasty stone.

Nevertheless, in the interests of science I've now done everything with the Splinter except dabs. I suspect that you could crank the temperature up to 260°C and dab right onto the screen, but someone else will have to try that.

Other Side

Retailer
Retailer
Really excited for this. I am on the waiting list. Does anyone know the time frame for release?
Hoping very soon. Ryan was waiting on parts and picked up a lathe because he was having problems finding someone that could get the woodwork done in the time frame he was looking for.

In the meantime he sent me a concentrate version of the Splinter. We came up with the name Sliver. I have one of two prototype's out there and have been playing around with it the last few days. Going to start a thread up here soon to get some discussion and feedback going on that one. Its far from perfect now but it's interesting and can also be used for dry herb as well (although not on par with the Splinter).

Summer

Long Island, NY
@AJS, if you can just give me the length & width I'll know which size you have. They're at amazon & ebay. Thanks!

Summer,
Reactions: BigJr48
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom