Discontinued The Splinter by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megaton

So I pulled the trigger and ordered a Splinter v2 which came today. Fired it up unloaded at 35W and there was a strong plastic-y burning smell coming off of it. I did a little Googling and found some posts about doing a burn-in. I did about 6 burn-ins at 70W per RBT instructions, but there is still that burning plastic smell, albeit a lot fainter. I can definitely smell/taste it when I pull through the stem (with nothing loaded in the stem). Probably psychosomatic, but now I've got a headache.

I got this unit in search of a more pure flavor, but now I'm concerned about the smell. Not only ruining the flavor, but the health effects. Any advice? I'm thinking I probably just need to send it back before it's considered "used" and thus unreturnable...

Have you cleaned the glass and the screen that you are pulling through? I used a brand new basket screen the other day without cleaning it and it tasted disgusting.

Megaton,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
So I pulled the trigger and ordered a Splinter v2 which came today. Fired it up unloaded at 35W and there was a strong plastic-y burning smell coming off of it. I did a little Googling and found some posts about doing a burn-in. I did about 6 burn-ins at 70W per RBT instructions, but there is still that burning plastic smell, albeit a lot fainter. I can definitely smell/taste it when I pull through the stem (with nothing loaded in the stem). Probably psychosomatic, but now I've got a headache.

I got this unit in search of a more pure flavor, but now I'm concerned about the smell. Not only ruining the flavor, but the health effects. Any advice? I'm thinking I probably just need to send it back before it's considered "used" and thus unreturnable...

You probably know already that there's no plastic in the Splinter or any RBT device. I don't know what the source of your odour is, but I would bet the farm that it's not plastic.

seatracke

Have you cleaned the glass and the screen that you are pulling through? I used a brand new basket screen the other day without cleaning it and it tasted disgusting.

Per RBT burn-in instructions, I didn't put the screen in the stem yet. I did clean the glass chamber insert and the chamber screen with isopropyl, as it looked like the glass chamber had some kind of powder on it, but I think it's just the glass texture or something since when the iso evaporated it showed up again. I might try cleaning the stem with iso too, thanks!

You probably know already that there's no plastic in the Splinter or any RBT device. I don't know what the source of your odour is, but I would bet the farm that it's not plastic.

Yeah, that was my understanding, but I'm not sure how else to describe the smell. I'm not one of those people who can pick 14 different aromas out of a glass of wine. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Catnipmint

I'm also having some weird smell and taste, kind of metallic not plastic, like soldering. At the middle of the heaters screen some Splinter V2 had a little soldering, some bot... Weird, Vapefiend told me chinese versions had this because of easier assambly. I'm also asked about the solder at here, told me its fine... No its not fine. I'm ended buying a Solo 2, yeah its not on demand, but working great. If I want on demand I'm using Dynavap, if want pure convection with on demand just using my Vapexhale Evo or Bricks.

Luckily my Splinter cost only 75GBP, what a waste for me, I giving it to a friend, maybe he has better luck. For 150GBP its a steal IMO, maybe sometime I try a Dreamwood attachment.

Catnipmint,

sickmanfraud

I have a question. Have any of you broken the glass on the Chinese Splinters?

I personally had a problem with the glass inside Splinter V1 AND the V2. I think the V2 just came off warranty (420 purchase).

Both of them (Chinese Splinters) are worthless since the Glass broke. I have had no problem with the custom high flow Splinter even though it gets more use than the V1 and V2 (before they broke) combined. I also have a custom splinter Z and the glass in both of the custom pieces in fine.

I never dropped any of the Splinters and I am the only user and they never left the house.

In case someone thinks that it is my "technique" of removing stems, I have had a Milaana and 3 Tubos which all got/get heavy use for years not months and all of the glass is intact.

Anyone else with broken glass in a Chinese Splinter?

sickmanfraud,

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
I tried really hard to like the chineese splinter. I owned a v2 twice (i swap my vapes around a lot). Each time the performance does not seem as good as a custom, also the glass issue is worrying.

I have recently brought one of the last splinter Z customs. I also have a square bottom splinter custom. I will stick with these - they really are hard to beat performance wise. I hope they last a long time as soon they will stop being made.

Megaton

I tried really hard to like the chineese splinter. I owned a v2 twice (i swap my vapes around a lot). Each time the performance does not seem as good as a custom, also the glass issue is worrying.

I have recently brought one of the last splinter Z customs. I also have a square bottom splinter custom. I will stick with these - they really are hard to beat performance wise. I hope they last a long time as soon they will stop being made.

I liked my custom splinter more than my V2, but I have only tried a Chinese Z, and it sounds like ima have to keep it that way or I'll end up with another one! :lol:

Megaton,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I have a question. Have any of you broken the glass on the Chinese Splinters?

I personally had a problem with the glass inside Splinter V1 AND the V2. I think the V2 just came off warranty (420 purchase).

Both of them (Chinese Splinters) are worthless since the Glass broke. I have had no problem with the custom high flow Splinter even though it gets more use than the V1 and V2 (before they broke) combined. I also have a custom splinter Z and the glass in both of the custom pieces in fine.

I never dropped any of the Splinters and I am the only user and they never left the house.

In case someone thinks that it is my "technique" of removing stems, I have had a Milaana and 3 Tubos which all got/get heavy use for years not months and all of the glass is intact.

Anyone else with broken glass in a Chinese Splinter?

Only thing I would guess would be joint length of stems, since that is how my first V2 cracked, though it seemed suddenly random at the time upon discovering it sitting in a drawer days later when I am always extremely careful.

So I always must recommend checking each stem, comparing male joint length to those included with the V2, and not using any that are visibly longer even if they fit securely in the V2 female glass...

We do know the glass is thinner, and a custom size, otherwise it should be perfectly fine depending on one's use?

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: bossman

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
I liked my custom splinter more than my V2, but I have only tried a Chinese Z, and it sounds like ima have to keep it that way or I'll end up with another one! :lol:
I'm in kind of an inverse situation to you and @oddjobold: my v2 is a beast on my rxg3d and I've only tried the custom Z but was always curious about the Chinese ZV1 or ZV2 because my Splinter V1 was always more even than my square bottom og Splinter.

Can attest the custom Z is dreamy though and the best of the four I've tried for flavor.

abhirupk

I am unable to install sur_myevic on my Wismec RX GEN 3 Dual Battery version! I have tried updating using Wismec’s official firmware updates and NFE tools. I always get an error message on both the updaters that my hardware isn’t compatible with the chosen firmware, please check the hardware version. I’ve tried installing it via different computer platforms(Mac and Windows), still no success! Can anyone point me in the right direction for installing sur_myevic on my Wismeec RX GEN3 Dual battery version? Really wanted to take advantage of temperature controlled cruise mode.

abhirupk,

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
I am unable to install sur_myevic on my Wismec RX GEN 3 Dual Battery version! I have tried updating using Wismec’s official firmware updates and NFE tools. I always get an error message on both the updaters that my hardware isn’t compatible with the chosen firmware, please check the hardware version. I’ve tried installing it via different computer platforms(Mac and Windows), still no success! Can anyone point me in the right direction for installing sur_myevic on my Wismeec RX GEN3 Dual battery version? Really wanted to take advantage of temperature controlled cruise mode.
I'm in the minority but I ended up installing myevic, which is no longer in development but was the only one that would install on my rxg3d. It works great for cruising and has all the options I need and I just google searched for it instead of sur_myevic. Sorry not to be more help and I can relate to those compatible hardware errors for sure.

bossman,

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer

abhirupk

Thanks for the replies everyone. I managed to do it using the official Wismec updated using an older version of myevic I was recommended on reddit. I’m cruising on TCR mode now! Cheers everyone!

abhirupk,
Reactions: Hippie

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Is Milaana 3 a step down in quality from previous Milaana? Or up?
Should I bite on a pre-order?
I've only used Splinter V1+.

Last edited:
vapviking,
Reactions: abhirupk

Hippie

I meant to say before that I use the latest Arctic Fox now they've added a 60 second cruise
Setup is a breeze with the provided tools via the PC
It's a lot less fiddly than trying to navigate the menu system with the 3 buttons on the mod
And my profiles actually have reasonably sensible names so I can tell them apart easily now :)

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Wrong thread, but shouldn't be a step down, its like a US custom. Jump on in
Only a little bit of wrong thread.
I was also hoping, I suppose, for some comparison to the Splinter V1+, which I only use in watts mode, sometimes on cruise sometimes just on/off at a given wattage.
I should have been more direct.
Pretty sure I need this Milaana!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I meant to say before that I use the latest Arctic Fox now they've added a 60 second cruise
Setup is a breeze with the provided tools via the PC
It's a lot less fiddly than trying to navigate the menu system with the 3 buttons on the mod
And my profiles actually have reasonably sensible names so I can tell them apart easily now :)

Mind posting your settings (PID and TCR and anything else) for the V2? Been thinking I want to try temp control with mine on the P80, since the RX250 is too bulky and I like AF with my Imp/AsterRT... First I need to get ArcticFox on it I guess. Apologies if you already posted this!

Only a little bit of wrong thread.
I was also hoping, I suppose, for some comparison to the Splinter V1+, which I only use in watts mode, sometimes on cruise sometimes just on/off at a given wattage.
I should have been more direct.
Pretty sure I need this Milaana!

Ah yeah so I would say it is a different enough experience that it is worthwhile. It is unregulated so your power will be dependent on battery level, so more button modulation / feathering. But you will also have US made custom 22mm thick German glass along with a nice side by side form factor, (and more beautiful wood of course!) just a similar heater.

Hippie

Not got a V2 but with my waitlister and V1 I use basically the same settings I use for my Zed V1

It's important to get a good cold resistance reading first for the temp control to work
Cold resistance unlocked (not sure if locking it makes any difference as it does that in the background too)
TCR 125 with the default PID enabled (P 1850 I 300)
45w (50w for the Zed)
1 watt and 1 degree C enabled
60 second max draw (puff cutoff)
Clicks - 2 Autofire 3 Main edit 4 Profiles 5 on/off

Vaping at about 200 degrees C so it's a little on the cool side.
You can adjust that by increasing the TCR or the resistance to make the coil hotter to match the on-screen temp if you like.

We had a play with TFR a few pages back (basically a series of TCR values instead of just the 1) if you want to try them
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-splinter-by-rbt.23476/page-178

chopus

Can anyone recommend a good mod for the Splinter? I'd like something that can be used like a regular vaporizer, where I set the temperature and get consistent performance without charring/combusting, preferably something that is compact.

chopus,

Summer

Long Island, NY
Ryan's got an IG stream up under buddharastatao from 5 hours ago wherein he talks about the current splinter giveaway, custom mi2s, mi3 changes/upgrades, mfr'ing his own thick glass, etc. It's interesting & informative so check it out if you have the time. Just under an hour.

bum karacho

VAS and GAS Support Group!
The Splinter V1 (china 80€) is my top vape for hash,kief and concentrate. I use it with S&B liquid pad and 18mm waterpipe adapter.
3xe6xw46gonglk7p.jpg
co3ki3ktzmmmqjoh.jpg

The dab tastes better than cold start dab......
I use 45 wattmode for all kinds of concentrates!

if you know one long enough and you go unprodected !
rpd2agstg5kl6kgg.jpg
vf6rmvyleunernhg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom