• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued The Splinter by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

DogBoy

know fear
...this thread delivers...

...I was able to grok the irregularities n' shit and figgered to try another stem instead of sending the splinter back...

...I still can't say that I like the Splinter...there is quite the learning curve it would seem...

...a lot of folks seem to like it just fine so I am probably not doing it right...

Mr. pickles

Okay, I have things working well. 30 sec preheat, prime temp range 460-500F. Resistance unlocked, set .02 above cold mod resistance (.250). Herb is stored at 60% humidity, no older than 3 months from harvest.

Mr. pickles,
Reactions: Summer

Mr. pickles

30 seconds is a lot of preheating. I have been preheating about 10 seconds lately (on my Z which needs a little more) and finding that a little annoying. If 30 seconds was necessary I would be trying to fix something or using a different vape...
That’s what I thought at first, but after some thought - I have to do the same thing with my cloud evo:shrug:

Mr. pickles,

seatracke

I am looking to upgrade my current vaporizer (Flowermate Hybrid) to something a little better with a cleaner air path and I am attracted to the Splinter as an option to use with my existing boxmod. I am an occasional user (4-5 times a month) and have a low tolerance...I usually load about .09g into one of the capsules that came with my Flowermate which is about the size of 1 1/2 Tic-Tacs maybe? My question is if the dome screen definitely needs to be filled to capacity to keep the material from falling out or not, because I am guessing I would want to load a lot less than that for my needs.

Thanks for your help!

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Welcome @seatracke!

I think it's best if the entire disc is covered in plant material, to prevent air from just flowing around it. But you don't need to fill the entire height at all.

You can use your little finger to gently tamp the material and it should stay in place. Resin will melt and stick everything together after the first hit. It's only when you stir later on that some crumbs can fall, but if you re-tamp carefully and take the next hit with the device horizontal it should stick again.

seatracke

Resin will melt and stick everything together after the first hit. It's only when you stir later on that some crumbs can fall, but if you re-tamp carefully and take the next hit with the device horizontal it should stick again.

Thanks for the quick reply @KeroZen!

So are you saying normal operation for the Splinter is to hold everything upside-down and hit the heat before turning upright so that things melt and stick together? Otherwise I would assume that when first inserting the mouthpiece it would cause everything to fall out.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Nah just use the stem like a straw to suck the material from your palm or wherever you put it, it should form a little clump in the bowl screen. Then use the tip of a finger to compact it a bit and it should stay in place just fine.

It's just that later on when you stir, the material will be much drier and this is when some specks can fall there and there. But if you tamp harder it should stick together enough.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Thanks for the quick reply @KeroZen!

So are you saying normal operation for the Splinter is to hold everything upside-down and hit the heat before turning upright so that things melt and stick together? Otherwise I would assume that when first inserting the mouthpiece it would cause everything to fall out.

If you press a small amount just to cover the screen and pack it tight, it may stay firmly on its own depending on the bud. Though I always take my first hits upside down to seat the load though for certain, its a little ocd for me, not necessary at all.

Last edited:

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I am looking to upgrade my current vaporizer (Flowermate Hybrid) to something a little better with a cleaner air path and I am attracted to the Splinter as an option to use with my existing boxmod. I am an occasional user (4-5 times a month) and have a low tolerance...I usually load about .09g into one of the capsules that came with my Flowermate which is about the size of 1 1/2 Tic-Tacs maybe? My question is if the dome screen definitely needs to be filled to capacity to keep the material from falling out or not, because I am guessing I would want to load a lot less than that for my needs.

Thanks for your help!

I often use small loads and the only precaution I take is to hold the newly loaded stem upright and invert the Splinter over it. I don't have much problem even if the load does fall out. The reason is simple: when you take a hit, you're sucking everything back up into the stem. As already mentioned, the first hit tends to make the load stick anyway.

Psyentist

If you haven't tried increasing your drawspeed in TC mode, you may also want to give that a try. Everyone I've let use my Splinter/Splinter Z, I've had to tell them to increase their draw speed to get good results.

This was the single biggest factor in me getting good results. I’d read that you need to draw slowly with the splinters, but it wasn’t until I was drawing fast enough to get the air whistling through the holes that I was happy with it.

buddingglasshead

This was the single biggest factor in me getting good results. I’d read that you need to draw slowly with the splinters, but it wasn’t until I was drawing fast enough to get the air whistling through the holes that I was happy with it.

Really depends on your use. If you're using lower wattage, a slower draw speed is better. If you're using a higher wattage or TC then a faster draw tends to be better.

buddingglasshead,
Reactions: Summer

DogBoy

know fear
...I just wish I had bought mine @ Puffitup behind their no hassles return policy...

...I was actually starting to like the Splinter as I grew more practiced with it, but quality control issues and a fundamental lack of support at the wholesale level has, IMHO, undermined a good product...

...a dealer should not have to sort through parts after the sale to provide a functional kit...methinks that's pretty lame...

...at least the Chinese Splinter has twigged me to the concept, and sold a Glow14...

...it should arrive Saturday...I am hoping the Germans do a better job of it...

...I am kicking self for not snagging a custom Splinter when I had the chance...

Last edited:
DogBoy,
Reactions: wisausnk

wisausnk

...I just wish I had bought mine @ Puffitup behind their no hassles return policy...

...I was actually starting to like the Splinter as I grew more practiced with it, but quality control issues and a fundamental lack of support at the wholesale level has, IMHO, undermined a good product...

...a dealer should not have to sort through parts after the sale to provide a functional kit...methinks that's pretty lame...

...at least the Chinese Splinter has twigged me to the concept, and sold a Glow14...

...it should arrive Saturday...I am hoping the Germans do a better job of it...

...I am kicking self for not snagging a custom Splinter when I had the chance...

You won't regret it, all is hand made (beside the base but also custom) and checked before the shipment. I always wanted to try a splinter out but since the production was outsourced I lost my interest.

Can't wait to read your thoughts in the glow thread. If you have any questions let me know.

wisausnk,

DogBoy

know fear
...I really wanted to like the Splinter...I had noted the Glows, but I preferred the simpler form factor...

... some weird stuff under the heating screen involving some sort of spot weld finally put me off...

...I was told this was normal but then a brown spot formed there in just a few uses...

...this was on top of four out of four defective pieces of glass I was basically blamed for at one point...

...you could say this has undermined any confidence I had in the product...

...I tried to return it but that hasn't gone well...at this point I have no Splinter and no $$$, and am not allowed to buy parts for the Glow 14 I ordered...

...but I am considered unreasonable and selfish...LoL...

...if I had been told I was being erratic and indecisive, I might have bought it...

Last edited:

Catnipmint

Hi everyone!

Please help me with my Splinter V2 (chinese). I'm always combust, tried in wattage mode only, I can combust and hotspot even at 20W. Usimg with Wismec Reul3aux Gen3 Dual (Arctic fox). With AC tried TC with TCR 100-150 , resistance locked at cold 0.26ohm, but I can combust even in TC. If setting too low temp I had to draw much longer (5+ sec+), or if draw too hard again combusting. What I'm doing wrong, where is the instant vapor like im the reviews, my Vapcaps much more instant and better without combusting. Please advise me some settings, read a lot but always combusted or had to draw for too long. Best instant on demamd vapes only since for me are Vapexhale Evo and Vapcap with a bong, what about the hype I dont understand. Are Splinters can be used like a Mighty for sipping with a 3-4 sec draw time for instant vapor?

Please suggest me some settings or packing technique, using XLR8 long cooling stem, stock screens, also tried with EVO baskets but a little bit big. Are there any dosing capsule which is compatible with the splinter, mightys are too big?

Thanks for your help, I'm really disappointed with my splinter regardig of the hype and reviews.

Catnipmint,

DogBoy

know fear
...it is goona be hard to top a Vapcap in a bong...don't know of anything "better" as far as vapor production per se and I have a Flowerpot V Rod sitting on my table...

...incase you don't know what that is, it is an expensive, complicated, and even dangerous rig that is touted as top tier...it pretty much is...

...people give me crap for comparing the two because one costs as little as $70...LoL...

...my Splinter Experience was brief, but I was getting good results after a steep learning curve...

...rotating the stem will help with the hot spot issue as will stirring the bowl between hits...

...it's even more like cooking than some other vapes...there is a fine line between brown and burnt...

...at first I was getting combustion and green weed in the same bowl...it is not an easy vape...

Last edited:
DogBoy,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom