Discontinued The Splinter by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megaton

They do not. What resistance have you set? This sounds to me like it's too low.

I don't set or lock resistance as I'm using a dna200 mod. I think cold it's in the late 0.20s somewhere? Rising to 0.33ish when hot?

Megaton,

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
I don't set or lock resistance as I'm using a dna200 mod. I think cold it's in the late 0.20s somewhere? Rising to 0.33ish when hot?
My regular dna75 prefers a locked resistance. Can't recall the dna250's preference.

For my V1 I like .23, for the V2 .25 and for the Z .4ohms.

Most mods will read it colder than that if they're set to check so my most common adjustment is to restore a little resistance bump. And I make sure to say no when my dna mod asks if it's a new coil since I need escribe to put it back where I want it unless I have another profile to switch to.

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
yeeeeeah.... sigh. It's only one out of too many that I've used across mods: rx200s (tubo) Rx200 (stock) and RX300 (surmyevic) and shit Kanger that hot spots. It's not even a thing, I check and rotate too, but its different for sure... @VGOODIEZ anything for hotspots?

(Quite the 5plinter6ang there btw)

The biggest change i made that helped avoid hot spots is get a screen inside of the joint, then Load the actual ground glass joint about half way and then put the basket screen on top. usually have a little room between the top of the load and the bottom of the basket screen so the herb can move around a little. Have not had a hotspot since

eideal852

The biggest change i made that helped avoid hot spots is get a screen inside of the joint, then Load the actual ground glass joint about half way and then put the basket screen on top. usually have a little room between the top of the load and the bottom of the basket screen so the herb can move around a little. Have not had a hotspot since
I've done that with my Milaanas, and i like, I have a pretty decent time across too many Splinters, LOL and this ones the only one that seems so afflicted (but hell, variation between individual units is nothing new- Grasshopper anyone?:lol:).

Maybe itll just be my super charged large pack joint!

eideal852,
Reactions: bossman

Megaton

If he is just using Watts I don't think you need to lock the resistance, but it does sound like there is a problem with the mod if you can't get vapor below 50 w..

It's the same on my r200s with arctic fox. And both mods work fine with my dcv2 and with my nicotine attys.

I can get vapor from 40w ish, but its thin and wispy, I dont get satisfying vapor equivalent to pretty much any of my other vapes till I push the power more. Maybe I need to re assess my expectations though.

Megaton,

almost there

It's the same on my r200s with arctic fox. And both mods work fine with my dcv2 and with my nicotine attys.

I can get vapor from 40w ish, but its thin and wispy, I dont get satisfying vapor equivalent to pretty much any of my other vapes till I push the power more. Maybe I need to re assess my expectations though.
Are you preheating?

almost there,
Reactions: Megaton

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Shouldn't even need to preheat 50 watts it should be coming on fast and strong, to avoid combustion you would probably need to draw pretty fast... Sorry I can't be more help that just does not sound normal, and I'm someone who uses 45 Watts through water with my Z often

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure

Strange shit man.

There's no chance this is an issue of unrealistic expectations on your part. No vapcap or Arizer portable can fog up a room like a Splinter. Something is wrong with the Splinter, the mod settings, or your usage. How long are your hits?

Shit Snacks is right that I don't need to be listing all my resistance settings if we're just talking wattage. You might try testing in TC mode on the rx200 just to see if your comatose Splinter shows some signs of life. Try TC 180 and resistance at .23.

When I have my dna75 or dna250 in temp mode with the resistance nudged up the way I prefer I only need to run it from 350 to 390° to finish a bowl with super even dark abv. That same temp range is where I use my rxg3d too

I liked the V1 enough to buy a backup during the great vgoodiez 420 sale and can get enormous clouds out of it from a range of common mods.

MasterChief

Does anyone make glass stems with a built in screen? Similar to ones Arizer uses? Pretty disappointed with the amount of material the screen bowls fit.

MasterChief,

gooroo

After a couple disappointing sessions with the Splinter V2 in power mode, I decided to try TCR mode with sur_myevic on a cuboid mini. So far, this is very promising and way better than power mode. Using TCR=180, R=.245, P=45W T=400*. Pretty sure the temp is close because AVB looks like AVB from my SwiftPro at 400*. I am seeing a hot spot though. Still need to investigate Algo settings and boost (turned off at present) but major improvement for me so far. I'm also waiting for my rimless deep screens to arrive which should really make for another needed improvement.

Megaton

@almost there yep, pre heating for 5-10 seconds otherwise I get nothing to start with.

@bossman I have tried TC on both mods using settings from the lovely people here and all i get is hot air and a sore throat.

It's a shame as so many people love this vape, my experience has been atypical. It's fine though, it works at 50w and I have a bong to use it with (as the harshness is too much otherwise), it's not like it's a brick. It just amazes me how low most people run theirs!

Last edited:
Megaton,

Shit Snacks

Does anyone make glass stems with a built in screen? Similar to ones Arizer uses? Pretty disappointed with the amount of material the screen bowls fit.

StemPod cooling stem has a built in glass screen, so do stems from 420edc, but not sure if they fit Splinter V1/V2 joint length wise...can try to get a hold of the older RBT basket screens that fit inside the stems without rims too

@almost there yep, pre heating for 5-10 seconds otherwise I get nothing to start with.

@bossman I have tried TC on both mods using settings from the lovely people here and all i get is hot air and a sore throat.

It's a shame as so many people love this vape, my experience has been atypical. It's fine though, it works at 50w and I have a bong to use it with (as the harshness is too much otherwise), it's not like it's a brick. It just amazes me how low most people run theirs!

Shouldn't need TC, your experience just does not sound as it should be, for whatever reason. Just bc it works at 50w for you to some degree does not mean it is functioning normally... Really sounds off to the rest of us lol

Megaton

Shouldn't need TC, your experience just does not sound as it should be, for whatever reason. Just bc it works at 50w for you to some degree does not mean it is functioning normally... Really sounds off to the rest of us lol

Aye not much to be done about it unfortunately, I dont know anyone else who vapes let alone owns a splinter, and being from the UK with a second hand splinter (that also rattles) doesnt leave me with many options other than to make do with what I have.

I do really appreciate everyone here's help though! I will go back and try and replicate other peoples success at lower wattage again.

Shit Snacks

Aye not much to be done about it unfortunately, I dont know anyone else who vapes let alone owns a splinter, and being from the UK with a second hand splinter (that also rattles) doesnt leave me with many options other than to make do with what I have.

I do really appreciate everyone here's help though! I will go back and try and replicate other peoples success at lower wattage again.

Oh, yeah, still could reach out to vapefiend and see if they can do anything for you... Worth a shot!

chlorophyll_man

AVB Inspector
I can get vapor from 40w ish, but its thin and wispy, I dont get satisfying vapor equivalent to pretty much any of my other vapes till I push the power more.
Hiya, I'm wondering how you load the stem?
Some methods (e.g. rimless screen in stem, capped with rimmed basket screen) place the nearest part of the load further from the heater than others, dramatically increasing the power needed to produce vapour.

Edit: apologies if that's really obvious!

Last edited:

gooroo

Some methods (e.g. rimless screen in stem, capped with basket screen) place the nearest part of the load further from the heater than others, dramatically increasing the power needed to produce vapour.

I don't think the distance really matters. The hot air flow from element is a closed path and has nowhere else to go but through the payload. The path is still insulated about the same and the rimmed screen would act as a sink but I think that equates to just a little more time to heat soak, not necessarily more power. I'll be putting this theory to practice as soon as my screens get here.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Some methods (e.g. rimless screen in stem, capped with basket screen) place the nearest part of the load further from the heater than others, dramatically increasing the power needed to produce vapour.

Edit: apologies if that's really obvious!

I don't think the distance really matters. The hot air flow from element is a closed path and has nowhere else to go but through the payload. The path is still insulated about the same and the rimmed screen would act as a sink but I think that equates to just a little more time to heat soak, not necessarily more power. I'll be putting this theory to practice as soon as my screens get here.
The distance from the heater does matter in my experience. I was initially less impressed with my Tubo X and realized packing the stem joint was the issue. It didn't seem intuitive or tidy to have the basket screen with the weed stuck in there with just a minimal tamp. Once I started loading my Tubo and Splinter with the material in the basket screen everything changed. And since the .1g size works for me I've never gone the G43 route of loading .3g or more in one go.

chlorophyll_man

AVB Inspector
Distance from the heater makes a big difference. I'm often experimenting with bowl arrangements in the Vapefiend cooling stem atop a Milaana. 5mm lower means you need to ride the button much harder. If it's nearer the heater, it's going to get hotter.

Last edited:

jarr92

Does anyone have a “down the barrel” shot of their V2? Just want to see what the heater/mesh looks like from the inside of the V2. Thanks!

jarr92,

Megaton

Iv got both rimmed and rimless. Using the latter at the moment.

Packing by hoovering up the herb and just tapping it so it doesn't fall out, similar to how I load my log stems.

Yeah I thought about messaging vapefiend, but it's not really their problem, so I would feel bad.

Shit Snacks

Does anyone have a “down the barrel” shot of their V2? Just want to see what the heater/mesh looks like from the inside of the V2. Thanks!

You won't be able to see the heater like that btw, just the screen covering it (multi-layer course and fine mesh)

Iv got both rimmed and rimless. Using the latter at the moment.

Packing by hoovering up the herb and just tapping it so it doesn't fall out, similar to how I load my log stems.

Yeah I thought about messaging vapefiend, but it's not really their problem, so I would feel bad.

Ah so yeah I would definitely give them a shout, they are the official service hub for the UK, even though it's not their problem I'm sure they're more than happy to help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom