Discontinued The Splinter by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mangu

My TC was between 150 and 165 when I copied @Ctipp22's settings.

Also it's worth mentioning that Sneaky Pete, for all his great reviews and value to the community, knows less about the Splinter than most of the folks on this thread. His first look video is clueless. I'm sure he's got a better sense now; I'm just saying I wouldn't put the amount of stock in his mod settings as you might think given his vape knowledge generally.
Lol! Shots fired!! It’s worth mentioning though that he’s just playing around with settings that were recommended by @Ctipp22 ....which, I think a few have agreed, are a good starting point for anyone experimenting with TC. No props, nor disrespect to Sneaky.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Sneaky Pete seems to like some very light coloured ABV so it makes sense. I have my Evic @ TRC 170 resistance locked @ .243 and I would say it runs a tad bit hot, but thats how I like it :brow:

Be good to have a reference list /spreadsheet stickied somewhere in this thread where we could list 5-10 of most popular mods being used with the splinter. A place were people could post there preferred settings under each mod.
Good idea but I'm pretty sure only threads can be stickies and not posts within threads. RBT should have a page with profiles and suggested settings like the Tubo does. The Splinters are such impressive vapes but unless a friend comes over and I help with the learning curve it's unlikely that the folks I know will be up for the learning curve.

Lol! Shots fired!! It’s worth mentioning though that he’s just playing around with settings that were recommended by @Ctipp22 ....which, I think a few have agreed, are a good starting point for anyone experimenting with TC. No props, nor disrespect to Sneaky.

Naw, you can go back and find older posts of me repeatedly telling folks about the @Ctipp22 settings and thanking him as I was dialing in my TC before getting a dna mod. That shit was like a month ago.

Pete is up a tree like a helpless little kitten and needs a swooping rescue from... wait for it... Ecigprofile Man!

Update: I just emailed Sneaky Pete some Splinter tips and links and let him know he can ask questions here if he needs anything else as he gets up to speed.

Last edited:

eideal852

Wattage is a good way to guarantee easy big hits because the heat keeps building the longer you draw. It's just that with wattage you're self-regulating by feeling that heat whereas in TC you won't get hotter by drawing longer. Someone correct me if that's not the right understanding.

OKAYYYY! Finally makes sense, this is a great tl:dr for the other tl:drs.

Update: I just emailed Sneaky Pete some Splinter tips and links and let him know he can ask questions here if he needs anything else as he gets up to speed.

"Texted Jordan, let him know how to go hard in the Paint":lol:

Separate but equal: Finally FJ'd! I picked up a new-to-me rx200s- hey, at least i'm on a ~$15 kick, and not chasing DNAs- (i know, i know I'll regret 5 cheapos vs one good) and flashed it last night, other than i seem to have a necessary RTFM session tonight (kept changing modes-bypass??), so far so good. Need to ask again what I should do now. I'm on a V1 and (less) V2. Same settings? I wanna cruise like I have a bandana in my pocket...:brow:

Edit "TL:DR" formatting
editEDIT: see?

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Came across this on RBT's IG story. Maybe the setting shown will be helpful for the Splinter V2, V1 & OG.

Splinter-V2-settings.png

That looks like a Z to me lol maybe my perspective is off :lol: I still don't know if I want to bother with all this, just still seems like a lot for what will require more guess test work than I feel like

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: bossman

entirely_foreign

I asked a few days ago about the differences between XL8R and XL8R Jr. I didn't see any responses (if you responded and I missed it, my apologies). However, as luck would have it, Scott over at vgoodiez was kind enough to send me a king kooling kit free of charge. I also bought an Ed's TnT short stem (was looking to grab the long one, but it was out of stock). I used all three side by side last night (cbd, so you know I was of sound mind by the third stem lol), and here are my initial impressions:

* XL8R Jr: Probably the most interesting stem, because while being the same length (or at least similar) as the original, it provides a phenomenal amount of cooling (for the length). By the time my session was done, it was pretty warm everywhere except just where my lips were, and the vapor temperature was just warm. This is a great option if you're 1) on a budget, or 2) don't want to increase the overall length of the vape setup while also wanting to maximize the cooling.

* XL8R: My favorite of the three hands down. I like the extra length, super fun to see the vapor traveling around in there. By the time it gets to me, it's calm cool and collected lol. About half of it got warm over the course of the session, but go nowhere close to my lips. This will be the daily driver I think from here on out. I, however, will not be taking it out of the house, too large. Get this if you want to maximize cooling over everything else.

* Ed's TnT Cocobolo short stem: The aesthetic of the stem is fantastic. It's even prettier in person, and it sits in the spliter in a pleasing way (the ridge of the stem is about where the splinter itself ends, so it looks like it's a natural fit). A minor, but important aspect, is that it comes with rimless screens, and there's a little ridge that's recessed quite far into the stem, meaning that you could pack triple what you could pack into the regular basket screen. The stem itself doesn't heat up that much over the course of a session, so your lips never get burned. However, the vapor cooling, while better than the stock stem, falls short of the other two (which isn't surprising). I really like the tapered finish of the stem, it's very comfortable in my mouth (lol). I got this to also use as a WPA, which I haven't tried yet. Get this if you love aesthetic, want more mouth comfort, want bigger bowl, or want a 14mm WPA.

Jblizz

So I’m trying to convert a friend of mine to vaping over combusting and had him try my Splinter the other day. He enjoyed it and said he may pick one up. I told him I’d keep an eye out for him on exchange for a good deal and quickly found one.

It arrived yesterday and after playing with it myself, I noticed a wide variance in the settings needed to produce vapor. Not an issue once I got it figured out, was just concerning. My old V1 would produce a good amount of vapor as low as 340 on TC (dna, settings bossman linked) and this new one needed 410 on same mod. The new one also seems to heat more evenly based off avb and also produce cooler vapor; the latter is likely placebo as I just have a sensitive throat.

* XL8R: My favorite of the three hands down. I like the extra length, super fun to see the vapor traveling around in there. By the time it gets to me, it's calm cool and collected lol. About half of it got warm over the course of the session, but go nowhere close to my lips. This will be the daily driver I think from here on out. I, however, will not be taking it out of the house, too large. Get this if you want to maximize cooling over everything else.

Agreed, especially fun to see vapor travel the tube. For myself, it also aids in technique/draw rate as I can visually see what’s going on. I’m new to on demand convection so it helps.

(Pic: new on bronze)

2vd1xcm.jpg

fatbiker

I asked a few days ago about the differences between XL8R and XL8R Jr. I didn't see any responses (if you responded and I missed it, my apologies). However, as luck would have it, Scott over at vgoodiez was kind enough to send me a king kooling kit free of charge. I also bought an Ed's TnT short stem (was looking to grab the long one, but it was out of stock). I used all three side by side last night (cbd, so you know I was of sound mind by the third stem lol), and here are my initial impressions:

* XL8R Jr: Probably the most interesting stem, because while being the same length (or at least similar) as the original, it provides a phenomenal amount of cooling (for the length). By the time my session was done, it was pretty warm everywhere except just where my lips were, and the vapor temperature was just warm. This is a great option if you're 1) on a budget, or 2) don't want to increase the overall length of the vape setup while also wanting to maximize the cooling.

* Ed's TnT Cocobolo short stem: The aesthetic of the stem is fantastic. It's even prettier in person, and it sits in the spliter in a pleasing way (the ridge of the stem is about where the splinter itself ends, so it looks like it's a natural fit). A minor, but important aspect, is that it comes with rimless screens, and there's a little ridge that's recessed quite far into the stem, meaning that you could pack triple what you could pack into the regular basket screen. The stem itself doesn't heat up that much over the course of a session, so your lips never get burned. However, the vapor cooling, while better than the stock stem, falls short of the other two (which isn't surprising). I really like the tapered finish of the stem, it's very comfortable in my mouth (lol). I got this to also use as a WPA, which I haven't tried yet. Get this if you love aesthetic, want more mouth comfort, want bigger bowl, or want a 14mm WPA.

Thank you for the review. This is what I was looking for as I am still in the “research” phase of buying a Splinter and related accessories.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Altho the real TCR is probably slightly lower I'm actually using 185
Max power 40w
Read the cold resistance and subtract .008 for the v1 or .012 for my 19/19 waitlister
Enable PID mode
Vaping around 190 degrees C

If that's not right ....
Increasing the resistance will increase the temp of the coil (and vice versa)
Increasing the TCR will also increase the temp too but as the TCR is the rate of change of temp with resistance it will effect the temp change you get when you increase the vaping temp so adding say 10 degrees on-screen may be adding more or less than 10 degrees to the vaping temp.

With those 2 rules in mind I've successfully used TCR values from 150 - 200 altho i think the real value is in the region of about 180 - 185 for best results.
Thanks. I've adjusted the Arctic Fox settings on my wismec rx gen3 dual to match your suggested settings. I see PI-reg but not PID in the mod settings. It's currently set to:

PI-Reg: Off
Range: 0%
P: 1850
I: 300

Am I just switching PI-Reg to On or what?

bossman,

frank grimes

Hi everyone,

I’ve heard good things about the splinter but I’ve just started perusing this thread. I’m debating on an impulse buy of the splinter but after quickly reading some of the posts, configuring the box mod sounds complicated. TBH, I don’t know anything about mods and I just want it to work out of the box.

I’m looking at purchasing the splinter and the joyetech evic vtwo mini. Will I get good results if I use the evic in wattage mode straight out of the box without any configuring? Eventually, I’ll fool around with the settings but at the start, I’d like to experience what the splinter is all about without hours of frustration.

Also, can anyone tell me how big the bowl is?

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I'm using sur_myevic which lets you set PID

Interesting, so your I is larger than your D. It's a bit unusual. Did you check it with some kind of live monitor? I don't know if you can use the NFE device monitor on sur_myevic flashed devices?

KeroZen,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Hi everyone,

I’ve heard good things about the splinter but I’ve just started perusing this thread. I’m debating on an impulse buy of the splinter but after quickly reading some of the posts, configuring the box mod sounds complicated. TBH, I don’t know anything about mods and I just want it to work out of the box.

I’m looking at purchasing the splinter and the joyetech evic vtwo mini. Will I get good results if I use the evic in wattage mode straight out of the box without any configuring? Eventually, I’ll fool around with the settings but at the start, I’d like to experience what the splinter is all about without hours of frustration.

Also, can anyone tell me how big the bowl is?

Yes is the answer, it was designed for simple power mode with wattage so any mod will work fine really. Temp control is where things get a bit more complicated, which is why many of us recommend a DNA mod with FC profiles to make that part easy as well. Simpler than it sounds.

The bowl is the 18.8mm joint of the glass stem, so one of those rimmed basket screens for example holds about .15g max (half a grasshopper full) but it can vape perfectly fine with smaller and larger loads so size is pretty adjustable.

Hippie

Interesting, so your I is larger than your D. It's a bit unusual. Did you check it with some kind of live monitor? I don't know if you can use the NFE device monitor on sur_myevic flashed devices?

I just went with Herbie's recommendations for PID values from the firmware discussion thread to get started, saw that it was ok on the monitor and left it without tinkering to be honest.

Some older versions of NTtoolbox work - 17.06.10.0007 works for me (Sept 2018 version didn't work)

Initial ramp up from cold could be improved if you want faster vapour but I'm quite happy with the wobble as it settles down, stability once it's up to heat and reheat time for successive draws.
Upping the power will help speed it up from cold but that also causes earlier low battery warnings for me (maybe my batteries?) so knowing the V1 needs 35W for my heaviest draw I've got it set at 40W max for better battery life.

Interstelar Space

I love my RBT vapes with the long and short XLR8 stems. They really make a difference. I love how the small one fits neatly in a large SnapStash tube for easy storage and containing smells. I wish i could find something similar for the long tube. Someone recommended 18650 battery caps from Delta 3D studios but id love to find a container of some kind. Does anyone have any ideas? Do any of the Tightpac or Partypac tubes work?

eideal852

so i tcr'd finally!

at 150, max watt at 45... resistance 0.229 or close, matched it to a photo I cant find now... How critical is that? should I be checking something and setting mine based on my SPECIFIC unit?

in any case:
fuck-ing a! at least SEEMS like its a no brainer now, no scorch, even abv. Is this all it needed?

Nice.

Now how the hell do i CRUISE?

entirely_foreign

Now how the hell do i CRUISE?

'menu>interface>clicks’

I set cruise to 2 clicks (at first). In temp mode you'll cruise at that temp, in wattage mode you'll cruise at that wattage. What I ended up doing is setting 2 clicks to warm up mode, and then set W2Cru to 1 (goes from warmup to cruise after warmup is done). It's even more of a no brainer now haha.

eideal852

'menu>interface>clicks’

I set cruise to 2 clicks (at first). In temp mode you'll cruise at that temp, in wattage mode you'll cruise at that wattage. What I ended up doing is setting 2 clicks to warm up mode, and then set W2Cru to 1 (goes from warmup to cruise after warmup is done). It's even more of a no brainer now haha.
ok, sorry in advance, but I'll likely get back to you while I try this tonight...

fatbiker

So the mod Sneaky Pete has does not have the DNA chipset. However, he is using the myeriv software. I thought the mod needed the DNA chip to do so.

fatbiker,

Hippie

In sur_myevic they call it autofire
To use Autofire you need to enable Autofi in the vaping menu and set a value for ATime
and activate it with a long press of the fire button

Please be careful if you choose to use the infinity setting

Hippie,
Reactions: Summer
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom