Discontinued The Splinter by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
So, I haven't been involved with this beta and to be honest I have kind of avoided learning about it because I am NOT an ecig guy and have had zero interest in becoming one. I mean, I successfully stopped smoking cigarettes before the ecig thing really happened so never used them as a transition mechanism, and was quite happy NOT to get involved in the mod box acquisition syndrome that naturally comes along with it.

Splinter, however, is sucking me in now and it looks like there may be no way to avoid it. So now I have to learn about mod boxes and what is best and why. Shit.

Oh well... Can someone point be to a good resource that may reduce my learning curve on the mod box thing? TIA.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
As long as the Splinter does not work in TC mode, there's nothing to learn. Any VV/VW mod will do. Just make sure it has enough clearance for this rather large attachment.

You can get entry level mods around $25 shipped and upwards of $400 for fancy hand-made limited run pieces.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
So, I haven't been involved with this beta and to be honest I have kind of avoided learning about it because I am NOT an ecig guy and have had zero interest in becoming one. I mean, I successfully stopped smoking cigarettes before the ecig thing really happened so never used them as a transition mechanism, and was quite happy NOT to get involved in the mod box acquisition syndrome that naturally comes along with it.

Splinter, however, is sucking me in now and it looks like there may be no way to avoid it. So now I have to learn about mod boxes and what is best and why. Shit.

Oh well... Can someone point be to a good resource that may reduce my learning curve on the mod box thing? TIA.

The Splinter doesn't work in temperature control mode at all so modern fancy box mod features won't do anything. Pretty much the only thing you have to decide is how many 18650 cells you want it to use. 1 like Milaana, 2 like Zion, or even 3-4 cell mods are available. I suppose you could also use a mod which does not use 18650 cells, but I assume you have a nice stash of them already.

I've had good luck with Joyetech mods.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
As long as the Splinter does not work in TC mode, there's nothing to learn. Any VV/VW mod will do. Just make sure it has enough clearance for this rather large attachment.

You can get entry level mods around $25 shipped and upwards of $400 for fancy hand-made limited run pieces.
Pretty much the only thing you have to decide is how many 18650 cells you want it to use.
American mods are expensive and not worth it imo. A 75w Chinese mod could cost $20 while the same power in an American made mod could be 100-400$
Thanks all for the info. Glad to know that there is no need for the expensive stuff. This may not be as painful as I anticipated. :rolleyes:

Summer

Long Island, NY
I'm with @cybrguy, as I'm a newbie to the mods & quite frankly I don't want to learn the ins & outs of them, but I do have a mod that I bought for ecig use which didn't work out for me & I would like to put the mod to use. I've read 1/2 of this thread (going backwards) so if someone could answer my simple questions I'd be grateful.

1) I have a 80W eleaf i stick power which is now just called the i power. I saw somewhere in this thread that this mod would work with the splinter. Correct?

2) Is there any maintenance/rebuilding I would have to do for the splinter?

3) The order link is no longer being shown on rbt's website so am I correct in assuming that, like Pipes Induction Heater, when the list gets filled it is closed until the next list opens? Or should I contact rbt through his site & ask to be put on this list? And do I pay in-advance?

Thank you.

TNT_error

the eleaf should work. It's more of an aesthetic issue since the splinter will overhang on the mod, but if that doesn't bother you then you're good to go. The splinter, I believe, is going to start production after the zions are done? I missed the preorder list, but found the waitlist on the site not sure if its there anymore ( it was about a month or so ago).

Summer

Long Island, NY
@TNT_error, don't care about the aesthetics.

@KeroZen, so the mesh is attached & can't be replaced separately if need be. Not really concerned about this as I like low temps. Someone mentioned that they vape around 34W. Is there a stipulated safe wattage range for the splinter?

Summer,

TNT_error

Just speculating, but couldn't some iso wipes then taking a couple dry hits clean the heater?

TNT_error,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
25-75W is probably safe, provided your cell(s) can handle it of course. But 50W is plenty enough.

I run the Project Pure SF at 35W and lately I've been testing the iHeat (510 atty only) between 22-25W. I'm pretty sure I would end up in that ballpark with the Splinter too.

Since the heater is never in contact with your material (or at least it shouldn't be, sorry for those having the expectation of doing runny concentrates in it, it's like the Milaana and Zion, you need to protect the heater screen at all cost since you can't change it) there's nothing to clean.

If you don't glow the SS mesh too much, it shouldn't develop much oxidation layer nor even change color. In fact I recommend to never glow any metal heater. So in the end there shouldn't be any maintenance, cleaning nor rebuilding like with your e-cigs.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Looks like the Cuboid I keep seeing in the vids like @Vape Dr. , right? Seems a reasonable choice if not a little overkill for this application. I have no plans to go on to using it for anything else. (Plans within plans...)

cybrguy,
Reactions: Bizkat

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I prefer having a more compact and smaller mod with a single cell. I carry a two-cells plastic pack in my bag and the 3rd cell inside the vape. And if needed I can charge a cell directly inside the vape with just a USB wire, so no need to carry an external charger.

More than enough to go through a work day and more. If I'm out for longer I just take a second cell pack.

Summer

Long Island, NY
Am I correct in my assumption that the iHeat & the Project are not purchasable prefab units, but rather build you own based on open source specs?

Summer,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Nope, not at all. The Project is open hardware by design, but @Pipes sells ready-made units when he's not busy building VapCap induction heaters. It's just a 510 atty + stem, like the Splinter, you bring the mod.

The iHeat is made by @Alan and comes in a full version with desktop base and power supply, and the iHeat 510 attachment, that you can also buy standalone (the one I have for test) It's not really open hardware, but Alan showed us its guts already, so there's nothing to hide!

Don't need to build your own no, although it's a very fun hobby! :p

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Yeah, there are a gazillion options. I'm not in a hurry, so I will do more reading before I commit to a particular mod. If the Splinter will never need more than 50W, for example, is there any advantage to having a mod that goes to 150W? Is it more likely to be higher quality, have better electronics, or be more durable? Might there be a reason to have higher wattage later? We aren't talking a huge expense here so it isn't critical that this be the only mod I will ever buy so something that may have limitations that wouldn't really limit Splinter would not matter.
I really am starting from zero here, but it seems most of the complicating factors don't really apply to this application and picking the simplest and among the least expensive 50W mods may make the most sense.

Bizkat

Yeah, there are a gazillion options. I'm not in a hurry, so I will do more reading before I commit to a particular mod. If the Splinter will never need more than 50W, for example, is there any advantage to having a mod that goes to 150W? Is it more likely to be higher quality, have better electronics, or be more durable? Might there be a reason to have higher wattage later? We aren't talking a huge expense here so it isn't critical that this be the only mod I will ever buy so something that may have limitations that wouldn't really limit Splinter would not matter.
I really am starting from zero here, but it seems most of the complicating factors don't really apply to this application and picking the simplest and among the least expensive 50W mods may make the most sense.
I hAd those same questions when I got involved in @Pipes DIY. I fretted about all of your concerns. Pipes maintains a Mod List that has proven to work with The Project, which was helpful to me. I would hope that Ryan (or all of us....) starts a Mod list about what works OK.

Yes; I understand Splinter doesn't need TC Mode but to me it's about fit and balance. Will The Splinter be top-heavy for instance.

Last edited:

Oogendoogan

I got the chance to borrow my good friends splinter for the past week or so and I've been loving it. From what i was told it's the Zion heater with turbulator. This thing is great. Seems more powerful than my Milaana, well there is full control with the box mod but when set to 40 watts seems more powerful than my Milaana ever gets but it won't combust. The wattage acts as a temp ceiling and I pretty much just hold the button and inhale. It's effortless and the best thing is no stirring required! Here is a video from last week, I have some more I am uploading. But this is a good water pipe session. It's a .1 pack of some blue dream, 40-42 watts on my box. The abv was pretty light but my camera sucks.

It's gonna suck to have to give this back to its owner. I can not wait for the splinter to come out, this is going to be a part of my daily rotation forsure. you can pretty much set this thing at 20-40 watts and get dialed in hits similar to a Zion. The temp control isn't perfectly accurate, but compared to the Milaana there is a ton of control. In my experience with the splinter, hot spots and the chance of combustion don't really exist and if you don't want to stir you really don't need to, like it really extracts all the way through and the turbulator makes the air go to the outside of the load of herb instead of the middle so you don't get hot spots.

This vape is great and keeps up with all of my heavy hitters. Can't wait for the production units to come out. Time for me to do some more testing before I return this bad boy :sherlock:

Hope everyone is having a great day :tup:

Stay vaped :leaf:

Cheers :peace:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Come on, more video. It's the LEAST you testers can do for us (we?) observers. If you want to do the MOST, I'll shoot you my address. :brow:

Even photos, quiet as a church mouse almost completely, but my testing style with a saught after vape was to give the people a lot of details at least (if/when allowed of course) since they cannot own one themselves for a while... Though it can also be a tease, and I am waiting very patiently for mine bc I really don't neeeeed another vape! lol

Last edited:

AJS

Calm Consistency
I was hitting my Zion and thinking man ... if this thing was smaller with this much power it would be insane.

Then I was like .. oh wait .. that's the splinter!! It's gunna be nuts if it's even 70% what the Zion can do. Really looking forward to this one.

Edit: ya so after a 15 hour drive I decided to impulsively buy the Splinter in the dead of night...hopefully I don't remember buying it. That's the idea.

Peace.
Oh yeah, dope! Thanks past AJS! Always lookin out for me!

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
If I am understanding correctly the heater in Splinter should be nearly identical to the Zion heater so it should perform very similarly. Because he (or we) will be using a Box Mod as the power source he doesn't have to reinvent the wheel for it and it should "just work".

At least that is what I'm getting from reading up. This is kinda exciting, but I'm easy... ;)

More video!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom