Discontinued The Splinter by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

little maggie

Yes and I think 60W is overkill when in VW mode (compared to TC) The Tubo can afford to run at 70W+ only because it is in TC mode and automatically throttles the power down to match the demand, so it's seeing 70W only during the ramp-up phase.

With 60W you must be pulsing the trigger way more than the Milaana and it's putting un-necessary strain on the cells (I made at least 3 different posts about the matter, it's I think for instance too much for the HG2/30Q/VTC6 as the drain on the cell with rise with dropping voltage and you will exceed the 18A continuous discharge rate)

The idea with VW is to find your sweet spot, and Dan nailed it perfectly in the Nomad by providing lower power heaters. If you find the right power setting that matches your draw style (i.e. flow rate) then you can reach equilibrium: temperature will stay constant and you won't have to pulse the trigger it's always on (= way easier to use, nothing to count or think about, just hit and draw)

Anyways, as @Other Side said above, the cell is the bottleneck not the mod. If your mod can output 80W it doesn't mean your cell can (despite the builtin protections in the mod to try to prevent such user errors)
I wish I understood this. But I'm going to wait to buy a mod until the splinter is shipping and hopefully by then someone can just suggest the easiest and safest mod for the splinter. It seems like there could be other mods not yet released that might work. Or I may just not get this at all. It is easier for me to make sense of the tubo with the built in mod.

BigJr48

I wish I understood this. But I'm going to wait to buy a mod until the splinter is shipping and hopefully by then someone can just suggest the easiest and safest mod for the splinter. It seems like there could be other mods not yet released that might work. Or I may just not get this at all. It is easier for me to make sense of the tubo with the built in mod.

I was referred eVic Two mini is a good mood for the Splinter.

Modnote: reply moved from quote tags

Last edited by a moderator:
BigJr48,

grokit

well-worn member
I'm using my first mod and they are indeed daunting in their flexibility. It's an eleaf/istick pico and I'm just scratching the surface of all the many settings. It uses 1x18650 so more like a milaana. But I think they are worth learning, especially if you like to use concentrates because the pens are straight up ripoffs.

grokit

well-worn member
It works great with a divine tribe v3!

RCXJHpx.jpg

:science:

Vape Dr.

@little maggie and @grokit I use the same mod box as the tubo so I could compare performance, battery life and efficiency with the same mod box.

You know how the tubo works so you can absolutely use the same EVIC VTC mini mod box the tubo uses for your splinter.

The splinter is much less confusing than the tubo with the same mod box.

You can get them for $30-$40. What until you see how much more battery life you get using wattage as opposed to temp control!

@KeroZen can most certainly answer any mod box questions you may have.
I personally consider him an expert when it comes to safe materials and mod boxes.

PS for a super mini mod box the IPV D2 works very well.

*EDIT* Maybe @SamuraiSam can work some magic for the splinter like he'd doing for the hercules!
https://www.w9tech.com/oil-vaporizer-news/

stickstones

Vapor concierge
@little maggie and @grokit I use the same mod box as the tubo so I could compare performance, battery life and efficiency with the same mod box.

You know how the tubo works so you can absolutely use the same EVIC VTC mini mod box the tubo uses for your splinter.

You can get them for $30-$40. What until you see how much more battery life you get using wattage as opposed to temp control!

I personally consider him an expert when it comes to safe materials and mod boxes.

*EDIT* Maybe @SamuraiSam can work some magic for the splinter like he'd doing for the hercules!

Would love to hear what your favorite settings are with that mod!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

Ah so wattage instead of temp, but what happened to voltage? I always think of temp control in terms of voltage for Milaana based on battery level, since Zion is adjusting based on voltage and I started with that? How does it work here, have you been "temp stepping" sessions? Love that you've been the go to guy for this one Doc, always know I'm in good hands with you my friend :clap::rockon:

little maggie

Hard to believe the splinter might be less confusing than the tubo. Once I set it I just leave it alone. But I'm pretty sure that when I get my hands on a splinter and mod someone here will help guide me through settings

grokit

well-worn member
@Shit Snacks I adjusted my voltage to 21, atomizer's range is 7-28. I set my temp to 450f, and put my 'temp control' in 'ti' mode. My atomizer's instructions say that temperature control mode is greatly preferred to straight wattage mode. I think this also limits the amperage into sub-ohm territory. Still lots to learn.

:freak:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
@Vape Dr.: Thanks for the kind words my good fellow, but I wouldn't call myself an expert, at least not on these matters! :p But yes I would be glad to help @little maggie decide when time comes.

Recently I've been in the "less is more" mind state.

I did for instance a comparison between my Milaana and the MistVape Touch, using the exact same LG HG2 cell, same bowl size, same herb, same 14mm stem (with adapter for the Mi as it's 18mm native) and while the Milaana is more powerful, in terms of number of bowls I got 6 in the MVT vs 3 in the Mi.

Oh well, you probably saw that post as we all hang in the same threads anyway! But my point is that more power is not necessarily a positive point, at least with my usage pattern and using these vapes dry.

In the Tubo thread, after extrapolating the number of sessions I would get based on other members reports (whom I know their session count with vapes we have in common) it appeared it was quite low and actually worse than the Milaana.

Despite drawing little current when in TC mode, the 70W setting used during the ramp ups is clearly taking its toll on the batteries. I suggested to FJ to add a lower power setting profile (as the firmware has builtin support for custom profiles) to offer a better battery life for those not drawing like elephants.

Interestingly the solution he implemented in the form of the "cruise mode" is even better and against all odds seems to increase battery life: the trigger is always on, the coils are always at the set point temperature and when the temperature is regulated the current draw is quite low and only rises during your draws. So it seems, and that's the interesting part, that it's more efficient to draw a small current say a couple amps continuously (that is, even when not drawing or using the device, exactly like your average session conduction vapes do in fact) than only draw short but intense currents near 15 amps in bursts and "on demand".

But I digress, and the Splinter will sadly not work in TC mode. Meaning we're left with VW mode, which is already an improvement compared to Milaana and it places the Splinter in the same class as the Zion.

In this configuration it's hard to predict what will be the most efficient: lower Watts setting allowing you to hold the trigger for the entire hit duration, or higher Watts setting that you pulse on and off? It's tempting to assume that if you need to hold the trigger twice as long at half the power, you will consume the same amount of energy but in practice it doesn't seem to be the case, at least not for me, and my Mi vs MVT comparison goes in that direction.

:sherlock:

Last edited:

sixstringsmash

Ah so wattage instead of temp, but what happened to voltage?

To say it short and sweet these mods all run off of Ohm's law, which is I(current, or amps)=V(voltage, or watts)/R(resistance). Which is to say voltage still plays a big part in how these mods work, but there are more factors in play than voltage when determining how these mods perform.

If you have some time this post from another forum below gives a really good explanation about how it all works. Much better than I can explain anyway. You can ignore all the stuff that's exclusive to mech mods since it's irrelevant but there is still a lot of good info there.
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/14-ohms-law-explained-for-vapers.6293/

Last edited:

Other Side

Retailer
Retailer
Ran a couple loads with the Splinter last night. 37w with flower and 43w with trates. Still playing with the settings but so far really digging it!

I have a couple other beta models coming inbound so I can make some additional comparisons. Once I have those I will get a bit more scientific in comparing this model I have to them and against the Mi/Zi but it's promising for sure!

G1x0Ckx.jpg

Here it is with the longer stem and the @Ratchett sleeve that conveniently slips right on top of the stem. This along with one of my favorite glass pieces, the Magic Flight Orbiter. As you can see I prefer to use a glass trumpet mouthpiece instead of the whip.

Other Side

Retailer
Retailer
Such a shame the smaller form factor posted earlier didn't make it into this final version. For me, that pushed it from a "must have" vape to WOMP.
I don't think that would have fit either. And the other thing to consider is the heat. Having the wood casing, it really does a nice job of controlling the heat but a smaller one in perhaps a metal or ceramic casing could be a problem. Even the DT V2 for herb gets pretty hot and requires a silicone sleeve at the mouthpiece.

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I don't think that would have fit either. And the other thing to consider is the heat. Having the wood casing, it really does a nice job of controlling the heat but a smaller one in perhaps a metal or ceramiccasing could be a problem. Even the DT V2 for herb gets pretty hot and requires a silicone sleeve at the mouthpiece.

I'm pretty sure it would fit. There is a pic on RBT Instagram, I think it was 22 or 23mm? It was so sleek. https://www.instagram.com/p/BS9sTdYAVZj/?taken-by=rastabuddhatao

DTgen2 has quite a bit shorter vapor path also though, yeah? So it's accumulating heat in that regard too.

Other Side

Retailer
Retailer
I'm pretty sure it would fit. There is a pic on RBT Instagram, I think it was 22 or 23mm? It was so sleek. https://www.instagram.com/p/BS9sTdYAVZj/?taken-by=rastabuddhatao

DTgen2 has quite a bit shorter vapor path also though, yeah? So it's accumulating heat in that regard too.
I'd have to check with Ryan because I don't have it and can't remember. But it's still possible that a 14mm rendition would come around at some point but to keep it simple the focus is on the larger one. Personally I didn't enjoy the 14mm I tried nearly as much as the 18mm so performance trumps size for me.

Other Side

Retailer
Retailer

I'm not referring to the heat of the vapor. An experienced vaporist with a tolerance to heat can probably deal with that even with the nub mouthpiece.

I was referring to the heat of the mod. With my wax and dry herb mods from Humboldt Vape Tech and Divine Tribe, they can get pretty hot with continuous use. But the Splinter remains pretty tame because the wood is such a great insulator.

I know people drop those wax atty's in the mods like the Tesla stealth but I would be concerned about it with the heat these atty's produce.

almost there

To say it short and sweet these mods all run off of Ohm's law, which is I(current, or amps)=V(voltage, or watts)/R(resistance). Which is to say voltage still plays a big part in how these mods work, but there are more factors in play than voltage when determining how these mods perform.

If you have some time this post from another forum below gives a really good explanation about how it all works. Much better than I can explain anyway. You can ignore all the stuff that's exclusive to mech mods since it's irrelevant but there is still a lot of good info there.
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/14-ohms-law-explained-for-vapers.6293/
My friend, I am forever grateful for that link. So much now makes sense and I can finally try to keep up with what so people discuss on all the upcoming evelopments.

Other Side

Retailer
Retailer
That's great to see, production should be available soon.
I believe there will be yet a different version beyond these. This is V3,4 and 5 but I think #6 might be closer to the final.

But #6 beta won't be produced and none of these will go out until Zion is done.

It's my job to keep him on track there. We had a very candid discussion about this. I'm gonna get in his shit to make sure it happens!

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I believe there will be yet a different version beyond these. This is V3,4 and 5 but I think #6 might be closer to the final.

But #6 beta won't be produced and none of these will go out until Zion is done.

It's my job to keep him on track there. We had a very candidate discussion about this. I'm gonna get in his shit to make sure it happens!

Looks like you got the slim one I asked about the other day, is it 14mm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom