Gear The Source by Extract Craft - a closed loop system for alcohol extractions

thotfulspot

That is what I was hoping to use the Source for. I'm not sure of the ratios of cana oil to the other ingredients though. I know my dispensary used PG/VG when first trying their own cartridges. A very small amount, just enough to let it flow in a vaporizer. I think it would be the same for other suspensions.They didn't use any flavoring at all. It does make The Clear cartridges more pleasant to vape.

Have you tried mixing in a ultrasonic cleaner? Fill it with water and put the oil in a waterproof container. I've got a couple small glass containers from some other concentrates. Let it do its thing for a while, and you get a nice emulsion that people have said has lasted for weeks. Reduces the amount of suspensions needed.

That is what I was hoping to use the Source for. I'm not sure of the ratios of cana oil to the other ingredients though. I know my dispensary used PG/VG when first trying their own cartridges. A very small amount, just enough to let it flow in a vaporizer. I think it would be the same for other suspensions.They didn't use any flavoring at all. It does make The Clear cartridges more pleasant to vape.

Have you tried mixing in a ultrasonic cleaner? Fill it with water and put the oil in a waterproof container. I've got a couple small glass containers from some other concentrates. Let it do its thing for a while, and you get a nice emulsion that people have said has lasted for weeks. Reduces the amount of suspensions needed.
I probably used way too much MCT, maybe that is why it was so smooth? I am just starting my experimenting with this but I think it is going to be pretty straight forward. I have heard the emulsion holds very well with MCT in comparison to the other options. The essential oils that I used for flavoring I made more than 2 months ago and worked great. I'm finding a great flow of use of ingredients from normal cooking, making edibles, making flavored smoke, and making quality smoke. It is becoming very easy to shift from one medium to another using the same materials. So fun and satisfying if you know what I mean.

IchiBanCrafter,

djelibebbi

AKA djelimon, but lost the email
I've used a number of different cartridges.

I've had some from a local dispensary that was trying to do pure THC, but ended up using some PG/VG to move thin it out for vape cartridges. I don't like the taste or mouth feel of it. Kind of slimy feeling.

Tried mixing some shatter with one of the PG/VG mixes on the market. Horrible taste and made the oil not very effective.

I used Dream Stream cartridges for a while. Nice that you can pick the strain. Worked pretty well. They use coconut oil.

Recently The Clear started selling in Arizona. Tastes great with the flavors they put in and really really potent, at least for me. Definitely the best I've tried. The only disadvantage is you can't pick a strain. It's all hybrids with different flavors. Worth it though. They use MTC.

http://clearconcentrate.com/index.html

I saw a new one at my dispensary last week. I'll give it a try when my new card gets here this week.

I might have passed on the Source if The Clear cartridges were out at the same time. At least it will give me something to play around with.

The trouble with vape cartridges, at least in Arizona, is that everything needs to be made in the state. Limits what I can get. It would be interesting to try some of the others available out of state.
Do you have any idea what juju joints use for a thinner?

djelibebbi,
Reactions: Ben Tokin

thotfulspot

So how do you tell what state the output is while processing? Really how can you tell between oil, wax, or shatter, or whatever other finished product it will be?

I can use any of the outputs. Oil is more convenient, but I can use the others in different vaporizers I have. Bonus points for potency.

thotfulspot,
So how do you tell what state the output is while processing? Really how can you tell between oil, wax, or shatter, or whatever other finished product it will be?

I can use any of the outputs. Oil is more convenient, but I can use the others in different vaporizers I have. Bonus points for potency.
I think technically all three or those are considered "oil", just in different phase? From what I understand, oil is still pretty loose and viscous and often accompanied by a carrier? Wax is more pliable and is similar to shatter with the exception of form. If you disturb the oil while purging by stretching, stirring, or whipping you will have a form of wax or crumble depending on strain, duration of purge, and intensity of the disturbance. The pretty shatter come from allowing the least amount of disturbance during purging, allowing the crystallization.

If you are asking about when using the Source how do you know when in the process you know it is either oil, wax, or shatter my answer would be it depends what you do to the oil post Source process. You will produce the base oil from alcohol extraction using the Source, then post-process however you like. Not sure if I am helping with your question, but those are my observations so far........

Potency, I have found to be quite high every time because they are all concentrates, but the main factor is what your starting material is.

IchiBanCrafter,

Deleted Member 1643

So cool. Thanks for making. Long time lurker and QWEThead. -70C dry ice extraction produces great results for trim. Will try tomorrow. :brow: Do glass containers break?

First filtration in Buchner funnel takes a long time with your hand pump. Why not strain first for 15 minutes in -20C freezer, then go to Buchner? (Like conical strainer in Chemex coffee glass.) Cheap FoodSaver seems to work as well as hand-pump.

Thanks also for slow purge demo. Typically get to that stage without the Source. Maybe get vacuum pump first. Main advantage of the Source seems to be ethanol recovery.

So cool. Thanks for making. Long time lurker and QWEThead. -70C dry ice extraction produces great results for trim. Will try tomorrow. :brow: Do glass containers break?

First filtration in Buchner funnel takes a long time with your hand pump. Why not strain first for 15 minutes in -20C freezer, then go to Buchner? (Like conical strainer in Chemex coffee glass.) Cheap FoodSaver seems to work as well as hand-pump.

Thanks also for slow purge demo. Typically get to that stage without the Source. Maybe get vacuum pump first. Main advantage of the Source seems to be ethanol recovery.
Hi Accept, thanks for taking a look. Making video is obviously not my strong point, but since I am feeling more comfortable that I am figuring out the process I thought I would share.

I have had a Ball glass jar and a beaker with the dry ice and they haven't broken yet, but I assume they will.

I didn't winterize with dry ice and refilter the wash in this video, but with trim I have had good results doing so.

As you noticed the hand pump isn't very effective. I used it so the video would be be within reach of entry level beginner extraction. I actually use a small medical device vac pump attached to a power supply that really makes it go really fast. Also, a fast mesh strainer on top of the big Buchner would work well to separate quickly.

For the purging. You can actually purge all the way down in the cup. You can take it to a hard resin or dust if you want to, but the problem is getting it out. If you transfer to a silicone cup (platinum grade) this becomes quite easy but the heat can become a factor. The best finish is to get the oil out and a proper vacuum chamber.

So far I have found a few advantages to using the Source as apposed to traditional methods. As you mentioned the reclaim is very nice. You get back about 2/3 of the alcohol you start with. The plant material absorbs around 30% and the vac in the unit and other evaporation seems to be about 5% or so. So as expensive as that stuff is, this works well for me. Just as importantly is time and temp are helping me out a lot. With the new turbo mode I am getting through about 10 fluid oz in about 2 hours. The first hour starting a cold machine is about 4oz and the second hour is about 6oz, that is fast. The speed with the temps on both normal and turbo operating around 103-105 seems to really hold all the terps very well. Those are the advantages for the people with advanced knowledge on this thread. For beginners, like I was when I started using this thing, it is a great entry point and really hard to mess up.

IchiBanCrafter,

Monsoon

With the new turbo mode I am getting through about 10 fluid oz in about 2 hours. The first hour starting a cold machine is about 4oz and the second hour is about 6oz, that is fast. The speed with the temps on both normal and turbo operating around 103-105 seems to really hold all the terps very well. Those are the advantages for the people with advanced knowledge on this thread. For beginners, like I was when I started using this thing, it is a great entry point and really hard to mess up.
Do you know what the operational difference between Turbo mode and normal mode if the temps are the same?

I've been in touch with them and my next replacement base should be going out next week!

Do you know what the operational difference between Turbo mode and normal mode if the temps are the same?

I've been in touch with them and my next replacement base should be going out next week!
It seems to be just a function of vacuum and temp. From what I understand, to achieve the faster operation allowed by the turbo mode it requires more energy/heat to be pumped into the unit. To dissipate the increased application of heat and keep the temps down the vacuum pumps run more. So you can definitely tell a difference in pump activity between the two settings and speed is obviously different.

IchiBanCrafter,
Reactions: Monsoon
Nice video. Have you tried it with some better source material? I know you were working with inexpensive trim, but I wonder how the output results would differ using flower.
Thanks! Not the best video, but that's about the extent of my patience and ability, probably won't do another one for a while.....

I have used high quality nug many times. The results are as you would imagine. When I first got my machines I was running nun a lot, and ruined a couple runs trying to figure it out. After about the third and forth run I started getting consistent results that were great. The wash is much easier, the color is much easier to handle (meaning beautiful), ends up being ridiculously terpy, crazy flavor, and much higher yield. The nug run is very easy and gets great results but whats the fun in that? QWET with trim was giving me some problem and I was seeing a lot of bad green soup being made so I turned my attention to making something good from bad. I'm kind of looking for value and trying to see how far it can be stretched and still produce something respectable. I think that is where I can help someone......

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I'm kind of looking for value and trying to see how far it can be stretched and still produce something respectable. I think that is where I can help someone......
I'm interested to know what your quest will result in.... I process a lot of trim/2nd run and I'm still looking for to refine my tek to get only the goodies. Is it good to purify reclaim?

I'm interested to know what your quest will result in.... I process a lot of trim/2nd run and I'm still looking for to refine my tek to get only the goodies. Is it good to purify reclaim?
Hmmm, good question. Technically, the reclaim will already be purified because the only vapor that should be evaporating and condensing is the alcohol, leaving any water content still in the cup. The Source for the most part is a closed loop still.

IchiBanCrafter,
Reactions: PPN

thotfulspot

I'm sure cheaper source material is better cost wise better to use in the Source. The dispensaries around me only have limited trim to sell because they are each producing their own concentrates. One has one day of the week they sell a limited amount of trim. When it's gone, it's gone for the week.

That being said, using buds is probably the route I have to go, so I need to be extra careful and will hopefully turn out as good as your experiments. Unfortunately my base is on the way back for a replacement. I figured living at 7200ft would make the adjustable altitude important, and the agreed. Might as well have the latest and greatest.

I'm also going to try some essential oils for possible flavoring. A vapeable oil is the best delivery method for my condition. I'd like to get to that point without having to thin it with MCT.

I'm sure cheaper source material is better cost wise better to use in the Source. The dispensaries around me only have limited trim to sell because they are each producing their own concentrates. One has one day of the week they sell a limited amount of trim. When it's gone, it's gone for the week.

That being said, using buds is probably the route I have to go, so I need to be extra careful and will hopefully turn out as good as your experiments. Unfortunately my base is on the way back for a replacement. I figured living at 7200ft would make the adjustable altitude important, and the agreed. Might as well have the latest and greatest.

I'm also going to try some essential oils for possible flavoring. A vapeable oil is the best delivery method for my condition. I'd like to get to that point without having to thin it with MCT.
I am at 5,000ft and the new units are working like stormtroopers. I have friends using at sea level and they report the same operating points as I here. I know Lee went to Estes and 8,000 to test the units and they worked as expected. So, I hope yours works well. If you use flower I think you will have some seriously good product for yourself.

IchiBanCrafter,

PoopMachine

Has this thing gone up to $600 now or is it still available at a lower price? I was considering one when it looked like the kinks were worked out but now its $600.00. That has made me push pause on purchasing one.

PoopMachine,

Monsoon

Just received my 3rd replacement unit and I think they may have finally nailed it! I did my usual test with around 100ml of pure ethanol and it stayed around 105F during the entire 2 hours at which point most of it was evaporated. I only tried the normal run mode, not the turbo yet. The app, at least for Android, has been stripped down a bit and all you can do now is start/stop it and monitor temp, vac level, time left in 2 hour cycle and the set altitude. Not sure if the temp control really did anything so it's not a loss and you don't need much more than that really. The temp in the app bounces around a lot but the temp inside stays constant around 105F. The base unit seems a bit more professional in how it looks and feels so that's nice a nice improvement as well.

Now that initial testing is done, I should be able to start a small batch tomorrow to really test it out. I'll run about half the batch (5-8g worth) just to make sure I don't ruin another one and then I'll proceed normally if it works out.

Just received my 3rd replacement unit and I think they may have finally nailed it! I did my usual test with around 100ml of pure ethanol and it stayed around 105F during the entire 2 hours at which point most of it was evaporated. I only tried the normal run mode, not the turbo yet. The app, at least for Android, has been stripped down a bit and all you can do now is start/stop it and monitor temp, vac level, time left in 2 hour cycle and the set altitude. Not sure if the temp control really did anything so it's not a loss and you don't need much more than that really. The temp in the app bounces around a lot but the temp inside stays constant around 105F. The base unit seems a bit more professional in how it looks and feels so that's nice a nice improvement as well.

Now that initial testing is done, I should be able to start a small batch tomorrow to really test it out. I'll run about half the batch (5-8g worth) just to make sure I don't ruin another one and then I'll proceed normally if it works out.
I'm happy to hear you are finally seeing what I have been working with here! Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

thotfulspot

Trying not to be recipie related. The Source handles prep differently than other methods. It would probably need it's own thread when talking about recipes be

So how is your prep for flowers different when compared to the trim? From the little information I have found, it seems like you avoid breaking up the buds. Let the wash do the work to lower the amount of floating material in the finished product. Is it worth a second pass through the filters?

I've got a Buchner Funnel with a Bomex filtering flask and short, medium, fast filters. There is some crossover from cooking. I can't seem to find my vacumn pump. We are moving at the end of the month. Pretty much chaos right now, and I need something to help with the guilt of not being able to help pack because of my surgery. Is there a decent one available on Amazon? It's guaranteed that I'll find the old one if I buy another. It might have been relegated to garage duty. Probably not the best thing to mix in with brake fluid.

Trying not to be recipie related. The Source handles prep differently than other methods. It would probably need it's own thread when talking about recipes be

So how is your prep for flowers different when compared to the trim? From the little information I have found, it seems like you avoid breaking up the buds. Let the wash do the work to lower the amount of floating material in the finished product. Is it worth a second pass through the filters?

I've got a Buchner Funnel with a Bomex filtering flask and short, medium, fast filters. There is some crossover from cooking. I can't seem to find my vacumn pump. We are moving at the end of the month. Pretty much chaos right now, and I need something to help with the guilt of not being able to help pack because of my surgery. Is there a decent one available on Amazon? It's guaranteed that I'll find the old one if I buy another. It might have been relegated to garage duty. Probably not the best thing to mix in with brake fluid.
To my experience treatment of flower and trim are very similar but you have to me much more careful with trim. Flower is actually pretty easy. Kind of like cooking steak, it's very easy to make a delicious steak out of high-grade expensive meat, but to turn cheap cuts into something yummy takes a lot of prep and attention. The difference, I think, is mainly cell wall disruption. Trim is all cut up with lots of cell wall disruption which leads to the easy leaking of all the undesirable components into your final product. Conversely, and undisturbed bud/flower has essentially no cell wall disruption so the only chance for leak is either breaking it up or over saturation in the wash. Keeping in mind that the vast majority of the components you want to extract are on the surface of the plant you want to break the flower by hand up as little as possible, but enough for the alcohol to have full flow around and through all the nooks and crannies of the flower. Obviously, never grind for extracting with the purpose of making smoking meds.

Quite honestly I hate my hand pump, but it does the job in a pinch. I got mine from Lab Society here in town but I think they sell online as well. I also have a small vacuum pump rigged to a power supply (resembles something that is sure to electrocute me some day) that works perfectly. When Monsoon turned me on to using the Buchner Funnel and proper filtering, the quality of my end product improved immensely.

I think I smoked break fluid once, but I don't really remember.....which may be a good thing (or not?)

IchiBanCrafter,

Monsoon

Quite honestly I hate my hand pump, but it does the job in a pinch. I got mine from Lab Society here in town but I think they sell online as well. I also have a small vacuum pump rigged to a power supply (resembles something that is sure to electrocute me some day) that works perfectly. When Monsoon turned me on to using the Buchner Funnel and proper filtering, the quality of my end product improved immensely.
If you have a chamber to go with that pump you can empty the air out of it and then use the chamber instead of your hand pump for filtration.

If you have a chamber to go with that pump you can empty the air out of it and then use the chamber instead of your hand pump for filtration.
Yeah, I tried that when you mentioned it before. The vacuum ran out of the chamber too quickly. I have a dial regulator I could put in the line between the chamber and flask, but it is a bit too much going on for me. My mini vacuum pump works a treat, as long as I survive using it.......

IchiBanCrafter,

Monsoon

So I've been busy with other things lately and have not had a chance to finish my full review of the unit yet. I'm hoping to get that done soon once I get the chance. Anyway on the 4th try they nailed it for the most part. The end product was a bit darker and a more pull and snap consistency but looked clear and golden when held up to light. After a week of air curing, it's now shatter. I may have overpurged it but I have a second batch to run soon so I'll make it shorter and do a comparison. Next time I grab I'll try to get some fresher material and run it faster to see if that makes a difference.

It works good enough for me, worst case I can always just use it for edibles if the further results aren't awesome. I actually found a reasonably priced online dispensary for top tier BHO at CAN$45/g so I've been using that more for dabbing lately but I can still do mine cheaper especially with the cost savings from reclaiming the ethanol for reuse.

Here are my main complaints, which for me are minor, I can deal with all of them but hopefully they can improve them in the future:

• It can be noisy as fuck, like coffee grinder loud which is louder than my vacuum pump for purging. Lots of vibrations too. Only really bad at the start and then runs for a few seconds every 10 minutes or so to maintain pressure. It ran almost all the time in turbo mode. Either needs sound proofing or quieter compressors, and also better feet to isolate vibrations to the counter.
  • Pouring out is a pain and always lose a tiny bit. Hopefully they can improvise a spout or something like that in the future.
  • The temp works much better at 105F but it can still be lower. At least the option to go down to 95F which will still give a boil and shouldn't take that much longer. I know a lot of extractors would prefer it take a little longer if they could keep the temp lower during the process, the current temp is going to turn a lot of those people away from considering the product at this stage.
  • The valve threading for the pin that seals off the chamber is plastic and completely shredded now. the others 3 models didn't have that problem ironically. Still seals for now but it's hard to turn since the threading is gone. I guess proper hard metal threading would be better or maybe a better valve system altogether down the road?
In it's current form I'd recommend it though especially if you're looking to use the results for edibles, topicals, etc. The shatter I got was decent, I'll have to see how it is over time but for a small home setup like a lot of people have here I think it's a great option to have to save time, money and reduce ethanol fumes. If you do not figure you can make your money back in a reasonable amount of time or if it's a lot of money right now, I would maybe sit and wait to see how it improves over time. For me I can make it back in under a year so if lasts at least that long it will have technically cost me nothing.

[I guess that's sort of a review, but I'll post more with pics later and more positive commentary]

Top Bottom