The Ripper - Stainless Steel Grinder

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I'm really liking what I'm reading about this grinder...However, I remember reading somewhere that the gasket around the outside, where the edges of the top and middle plates meet, is permanent. Is this true? That worries me because, in my experience over the years, that gasket always eventually gets thinner and wears through...and has to be replaced.

Do they use some kind of revolutionary new material for that gasket that's impervious to wear, or what?

SquirrelMaster

Do you mean the new fine plate is great? And do you have both plates? If so is there a great difference between the two? I must admit I thought the medium plate was a fine plate until I was told otherwise.

I have all 3 in Matte for the XL. I agree with you that the medium is more towards fine and the fine is finer but not by a huge margin. The coarse on the other hand is coarser then the BCG coarse for the most part

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.
I have all 3 in Matte for the XL. I agree with you that the medium is more towards fine and the fine is finer but not by a huge margin. The coarse on the other hand is coarser then the BCG coarse for the most part

Thanks for the verification.
I did not get the course as I cannot imagine what I need an extreme coarse blade for. :horse:
I think if I want it that coarse, I can just use my hands..:worms:

Who am I kidding?
I will be getting the other blades because I cannot control myself....:rofl:

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.
I'm really liking what I'm reading about this grinder...However, I remember reading somewhere that the gasket around the outside, where the edges of the top and middle plates meet, is permanent. Is this true? That worries me because, in my experience over the years, that gasket always eventually gets thinner and wears through...and has to be replaced.

Do they use some kind of revolutionary new material for that gasket that's impervious to wear, or what?

The following is from Kevin maker of the Ripper:

"Delrin ring. We have a groove that it sits in so if it were to ever wear out or pop off, you could easily pop another one on.

You can post that you asked the manufacture and that’s what I told you. I would just give them a ring if they ever needed one."

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
The following is from Kevin maker of the Ripper:

"Delrin ring. We have a groove that it sits in so if it were to ever wear out or pop off, you could easily pop another one on.

You can post that you asked the manufacture and that’s what I told you. I would just give them a ring if they ever needed one."

Thanks friend! That was just the kind of reply I was hoping for :rockon:

Obsessed 2

I have been using an XL matte finish with a fine plate for just under two weeks and put an ounce of material through it. When I reached out to Kevin I requested a fine-plate with the XL matte finish. Kevin fulfilled my request with a prototype fine plate he had in the back.

The HR XL arrived in a professional looking box with a nice hand-written thank you note from Kevin. Nice touch!

I went with the matte finish as I have read that in comparison to the polished one, it provides a less sticky surface. Since I haven’t tested the polished version, I cannot attest to this observation. I can say that the herb doesn’t stick at all to the matte finish.. It just rolls off. The prototype fine plate allows the herb to remain fluffy but is the finest grind I have ever achieved. It’s not only fine but entirely consistent throughout. With other fine grinders there would be a few sporadic clumps that had gotten through. Not with the HR. zero clumps or non-ground bud.

The Herb Ripper was lowest on my radar as its features didn’t set it apart at first glance, with the exception of being made entirely out of stainless steel (major attraction). The thought of having an all stainless steel grinder simply makes sense to me. I enjoy cooking and preparing foods for others. All of my cooking utensils are stainless. Why wouldn’t I use stainless to ‘prepare’ my herb for consumption? Looking at grinders from a prep perspective makes the SS choice seem logical. It is dishwasher safe (although I’m not too convinced that I’ll be doing so), steel retains its sharpness better and for longer, and the HR doesn’t have any coatings, paint, or anodizing to rub or wear off. After a bit of research, I learned that the HR uses a quarter-turn thread for locking. Still threaded though which the BCG avoids all-together.

The quarter-turn threading/locking on the HR is really well-thought out. The threading grooves are super-wide and I can’t see them ever becoming an issue with cross-threading, thread-wear/steel chipping, or getting gummed up and locking.

I immediately realized that my old ways of grinding needed to change. I would always grind both ways, from the start. I would turn clockwise and counter-clockwise. With the HR, I need to turn only clockwise, at least to start, otherwise the bottom opens with the quarter-turn on the first counter-clockwise grind-turn. It seems that after subsequent clockwise turns the quarter-turn bottom chamber gets tightened enough to allow for the counter-clockwise turns. It’s the immediate start that is always the hardest turning that cannot be done counter-clockwise.

Here's where i realized two things:
1. my grip isnt what it used to be
2. the HR XL could benefit from edge-knurling for added grip.

I initially made the mistake of fully loading the HR with really sticky bud on an extra humid day. I couldnt make it budge. Needed to pull some herb out then proceed to grind little at a time. I am convinced if the HR had knurling on it, similar to my 2-piece Mendo Mulcher, then i could have muscled through the herb. With the HR's slick edges, i found it very difficult to turn. I wont be fully packing it anymore.

Using the HR has a very unique feel. Not only does the sheer weight of it stand out, but its function is different as well. I don’t think there’s any coincidence in the gear logo for the HR. When grinding a full load, it feels like a gear turning with wheel cogs engaging as it ‘rips’ the bud apart. Hard to explain and I felt weird at first, but now I love how it feels. Once your herb is fallen through the holes the gear-turning feeling goes away. With the fine plate I was expecting left-behind herb, but there was none. Quarter-turn of the bottom chamber reveals super fine and fluffy flower.

The bottom chamber has nicley rounded edges which makes things easy to remove.

Then there’s the sheer weight of the HR. It should be expected that a solid steel grinder would be significantly heavier than an aluminum one, that is a no-brainer; but it doesn’t shock you until you feel the HR in your hand. It’s awesome. It screams longevity, durability, and quality. Then there’s the really cool sound that it makes that is unlike anything aluminum. It’s like unsheathing a sword shhiiiiing type of sound. Really satisfying!

All in all, I am more pleased with the HR's results of the fine grind than I am with the grip. I can modify how I grind to work around the grip issue I face.

started@52

71-FB03-A9-7-E64-46-D8-8289-1-DED6-A0-B63-DF.jpg
8-ADDB805-890-F-47-F4-A96-E-BE50-C3-A4-D297.jpg
698-DD1-BE-3-ECD-4-BAE-B929-69-A335-A45-B2-B.jpg

HR XZ three plate kit.

nonamekevin

Thanks for the review @Obsessed 2! Very well written. You mentioned your mendo mulcher 2 piece. Could you compare the two a bit more? I've got a 3in 2 piece MM, which annihilates herb.

I'm seeing a 2.25in 3 piece MM for $36 and a 2.5in 3 piece HR for $164, both on 420edc. What makes the HR worth 4.5x the cost of the mendo?

nonamekevin,

Obsessed 2

Thanks for the review @Obsessed 2! Very well written. You mentioned your mendo mulcher 2 piece. Could you compare the two a bit more? I've got a 3in 2 piece MM, which annihilates herb.

I'm seeing a 2.25in 3 piece MM for $36 and a 2.5in 3 piece HR for $164, both on 420edc. What makes the HR worth 4.5x the cost of the mendo?
The fact that it is made of stainless steel; nothing more. Aboslutely nothing else makes it worth that much more. I am being completely honest. If i didnt have the extra cash to burn, i would not have purchased it.

The mendo muchler is an incredibly well built grinder. In fact, i found myself this past week reaching for my two piece MM over the HR. Two turns gives me course; 4+ gives me fine. Rips through the stickiest of bud and since its a two-piece I dont have to contend with the 1/4 turn bottom dish coming undone on a counter-turn.

seki

I'd been using the same grinder for more than a decade and I hadn't really put much thought into a new one until the delrin ring started to wear down and metal started rubbing together on my old one. I got a new replacement ring, but started to think of a replacement as a result. Initially looked into the BCG based on all of the praise, but I had also become convinced I needed a stainless steel model and I do enjoy collecting kief so a 4-piece was also a necessity. The Ripper fit the bill and because I am a loyal Dyna-drone, George's implicit endorsement of the product was all the push I needed.

I purchased a Ripper at the beginning of September, but for various reasons, both to do with the grinder and without, I haven't really been able to put it to consistent use.

I still really haven't put it through its paces, and I have a small issue I still need to resolve with it, but I have been using it fairly regularly in recent weeks and have a few thoughts I'd like to share.

First though, I'd like to mention that my interaction with Kevin, who I presume is the owner of the company, was great and he seems to be a pretty swell dude. I generally don't like branding on things and I contacted him to ask if he would be able to sell me a small matte Ripper without the "R" logo on top, and he obliged! Pretty awesome of him. I don't think there are many out there who'd do that.
ripper.jpg

Given that this is made out of stainless steel, I intrinsically knew that it would be heavy. For some reason though, there was a disconnect in my brain between that fact and what that might mean translated to real world use. As a result, I was pretty taken aback when after my first 3 or 4 grinds, my hands and wrists were genuinely fatigued. I don't have any arthritic or strength issues, so this was pretty surprising to me. After using an aluminum Space Case for well over a decade, I guess I was just unaccustomed to the weight. It's gotten better with additional use, but I still find it a little bit on the uncomfortable side weight-wise.

As mentioned by @Obsessed 2 above, I also find it a little difficult to power through when over packed, despite my model having knurled edges both on top and bottom. I can do it, but it seems easier with other grinders that are over-packed. The additional weight of the stainless steel may also be playing a role in this. I generally find myself grinding a little less at a time as a result, not necessarily a bad thing.

In comparing this to my Space Case, the top chamber seems much more shallow. The Space Case looks to be about double the depth.
ripper-top.jpg

The herb and kief collecting chambers seem to be the opposite: The Ripper is about double the size of the Space Case in both instances:
kief-screens.jpg

I wanted to get all 3 grind plates, but I ultimately decided to get the medium and wait on the other two. I thought that given my usage and vaporizers, I would benefit the most from the medium and fine plates, so worst case, if I wanted to save a few bucks, I thought I could just pick up the fine plate down the line.

However, I think now I may need to opt for the coarse plate, as the medium seems too fine especially in comparison to my Space Case grind. Some Rockstar Kush:
rockstar.jpg

Some home-grown White Widow:
white-widow.jpg

I think in general I prefer the more coarse Space Case grind with my RBT vapes. There seems to be better airflow with the more coarse grind. That's pretty much my reasoning behind changing my mind about the coarse plate. The Ripper grind itself is excellent though. The resulting material is nice and fluffy, and looks to be very even. If the coarse plate maintains this consistency, it seems to me as if it'll be perfect. VapCaps work really well with the medium grind pictured above, but I have yet to try any of my other vapes with the new grind.

In terms of the issue I need to resolve, I was experiencing a rubbery smell coming from the gasket that holds the kief filter in place. The rubber smell was pretty strong to start with and it was affecting my nose when I used it. I purchased some circlip pliers to try and remove the ring to clean it in hopes of reducing some of the smell, but I still haven't been able to get it out. The smell has since subsided a little, but it's still strong enough to notice. The black marks and slightly squeezed gasket are the result of my attempts to remove the clip.
circlip.jpg

Outside of this, the Herb Ripper is very solid, with good grinding action and excellent short threading. It is actually possible to fully screw on the midsection of the grinder with a flick of your wrist. I still intend to purchase a coarse plate, but I think a fine one is probably unnecessary for my usage.

One other thing I'd like to mention and it's with respect to people throwing their grinders in the dishwasher. You can, and the stainless steel construction makes this a possibility, but my advice to you would be: Don't. For the exact same reason you generally don't put knives into the dishwasher. Often the cleaning agents have abrasives in them to help break off food particles and stains. These abrasives can dull blades over time. If you continually throw your grinder into the dishwasher there is a good chance this could happen.

Last edited:

steama

I love my herb ripper (medium 3 piece, matte finish). I picked it up at a recent dynavap sale. When I saw the ripper on the dynavap website I knew that it would be fantastic for my Omni XL and fit right into my herb routine. George wouldn't put anything on his website that didn't work great with his vapes. Man, was I ever right, the grind is perfect for my dynavap vape use (my only vape). I can see having the ripper for the rest of my life.

warren0728

somehow i missed this thread ...

after using my herb ripper xl with the fine/medium hybrid plate a little i think the grind is a tad coarser than my scs ... which is fine with me ... i just didn't want any finer grind than the scs ... i'm really happy with the grinder and kevin @herb was great at promptly answering some questions before i ordered.

i took a few pics ... here you go!

next to my santa cruz shreder medium 3-piece
herb-shredder-scs.jpg

sitting in the palm of my hand ... i like the extra width over the scs ...
herb-shredder-in-hand.jpg

the grinding chamber ...
herb-shredder-teeth.jpg

the grind ...
herb-shredder-grind.jpg

NexVision

Yeah def not sure how I missed this thread either. I got the Herb Ripper and upon getting in my hands found it to be to small for my liking and got the XL after feeling the quality workmanship which went into it here are some pictures of them side by side.

started@52

The new XL version is much better then the first but, while the medium/fine plate Is a perfect medium grind, there is nothing fine about it. I asked about a separate fine plate and was told to use the “hybrid” plate and grind upside down :doh:. Back to the BCG and true fine plate for use with my Flowerpot weed eater and vrod, what I use 90% of the time. I just wish the BCG was bigger. There will be an official for sale/trade post for this one soon as I’m really only interested in a fine grind and my BCG does just that.

Last edited:

SquirrelMaster

The new XL version is much better then the first but, while the medium/fine plate Is a perfect medium grind, there is nothing fine about it. I asked about a separate fine plate and was told to use the “hybrid” plate and grind upside down :doh:. Back to the BCG and true fine plate for use with my Flowerpot weed eater and vrod, what I use 90% of the time. I just wish the BCG was bigger.

You must have both versions of the XL in hand right? The new XL plate (hybrid plate) must be more course than the original XL medium plate then because the original plate was more of a medium/fine plate to begin with as opposed to the BCG medium as a frame of reference.

There was supposed to be an XL BCG in May but I haven't heard anything since.

SquirrelMaster,

fatbiker

You must have both versions of the XL in hand right? The new XL plate (hybrid plate) must be more course than the original XL medium plate then because the original plate was more of a medium/fine plate to begin with as opposed to the BCG medium as a frame of reference.

There was supposed to be an XL BCG in May but I haven't heard anything since.

I have both like 52 and completely agree with his assessment. The first version of the XL medium plate was on the finer side. Whereas the new “hybrid” plate is very much medium and slightly towards course.

I will admit too that the new XL version is much better and grinding and clearing. No major jamming or anything so far.

Top Bottom