Discontinued The RBT Milaana (unregulated single 18650)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
If you were able to unscrew your center post then you'll likely to have problems down the line (and this issue was supposedly fixed at some point, how old is your unit?)

When said center post unscrews, the heater electrode that is merely pinched between the screw head (because yes, that post is just a screw, the head being hidden in the bottom compartment of the device) and the wood might dislodge or at the very least make a very poor contact, leading to poor performance.

Mine kept unscrewing, and I had to screw it (counter clockwise because it's upside down) very often. Until I had the occasion to open the device bottom and put a dab of solder on it.

KeroZen,

eideal852

Heya! New to this here bad boy. How proud of the surface shiuld the battery sit? Photos all seem to show battery MUCH lower than mine sits, with the copper/pick pretty level and tight to the wood.

Mine sticks up a fair bit almost 1/4”?

My copper/pick assembly screws down and when tight “enough” (the whole deal doesn’t swing out of position on its own) the whole thing sits at a fairly severe angle. Is that normal?
And how do most insert battery, positive down or up? (I know same diff circuit wise, but...)

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Heya! New to this here bad boy. How proud of the surface shiuld the battery sit? Photos all seem to show battery MUCH lower than mine sits, with the copper/pick pretty level and tight to the wood.

Mine sticks up a fair bit almost 1/4”?

My copper/pick assembly screws down and when tight “enough” (the whole deal doesn’t swing out of position on its own) the whole thing sits at a fairly severe angle. Is that normal?
And how do most insert battery, positive down or up? (I know same diff circuit wise, but...)

It would help if you described the number of washers below and above the pick and plate. I think optimal is to have the battery rise about 1/8" above the wood, not level. 1/4" does sound high. The angle would have to be quite severe to affect performance, but obviously it doesn't look right because it isn't. If you want to straighten it, you can raise the plate and pick by placing extra washers underneath. The alternative is to compress the contact at the bottom of the battery chamber, but if you compress it too much you'll have the opposite problem. If I were you I'd raise the plate.

pakalolo,

eideal852

It would help if you described the number of washers below and above the pick and plate. I think optimal is to have the battery rise about 1/8" above the wood, not level. 1/4" does sound high. The angle would have to be quite severe to affect performance, but obviously it doesn't look right because it isn't. If you want to straighten it, you can raise the plate and pick by placing extra washers underneath. The alternative is to compress the contact at the bottom of the battery chamber, but if you compress it too much you'll have the opposite problem. If I were you I'd raise the plate.
Shit, meant to measure last night. maybe not quite a quarter, but split that: between an 1/8 and a quarter.
Layed out as such, top down:

1 Thumbscrew
2 Copper lock washer
3 Copper Milaana “pick”
4 Silver washer
5 RBT guitar pick
6 Captive nut IN wood (think this is right)
7 milaana

So two washers. Def looks like I could do with one or two more below guitar pick.

I’ll see if I have a photo.

danks!

19tOOxW_d.jpg

Well damn, not with battery! But this shows how many in the stack.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vapeur Rogue

Est. 2013- Never Lookin' Back
If you were able to unscrew your center post then you'll likely to have problems down the line (and this issue was supposedly fixed at some point, how old is your unit?)

When said center post unscrews, the heater electrode that is merely pinched between the screw head (because yes, that post is just a screw, the head being hidden in the bottom compartment of the device) and the wood might dislodge or at the very least make a very poor contact, leading to poor performance.

Mine kept unscrewing, and I had to screw it (counter clockwise because it's upside down) very often. Until I had the occasion to open the device bottom and put a dab of solder on it.

Thanks for the heads up. Not sure when gen of Mil. 1 mine is, likely pretty early though- Just got it from the classifies from one of the well-established members here. I will avoid moving it much, but as I reapply wax, will need to figure something out!

Vapeur Rogue,
Reactions: KeroZen

Mangu

Shit, meant to measure last night. maybe not quite a quarter, but split that: between an 1/8 and a quarter.
Layed out as such, top down:

1 Thumbscrew
2 Copper lock washer
3 Copper Milaana “pick”
4 Silver washer
5 RBT guitar pick
6 Captive nut IN wood (think this is right)
7 milaana

So two washers. Def looks like I could do with one or two more below guitar pick.

danks!

19tOOxW_d.jpg

Well damn, not with battery! But this shows how many in the stack.
Had a similar problem with my unit. I peeked into the battery hatch with a flashlight and I found a tiny bubble of glue at the bottom that was protruding just enough into the battery hatch to keep the battery from sliding all the way in. This could be what was going on with yours?

eideal852

('o'),- -{Helllloooooo!)

So adopted and new old-girl... This Milaana 1(.5?) was waiting for me when I got home yesterday.
Beaut, love the green glasshole, the intake is different (spoiled by the 2's carb!) and leaves the draw up to me, but I'll play with it to be sure.

Few questions tho (@Other Side, I'll get at ya privately, but thought I'd ask Parliament here as well):

Wood? Any of you experts know what that one is? (I know the MOST experienced lean HARD into exotics so maybe not...)

Glass sizes? The glass that came with it Does. Not. Work. neither one (green shorty, dark blue longness) bottom out and spin/wobble. No hope of lock, with or without screens (this Mi came with the rimless baskets that you push all the way in...)

Now I know of some ehhhhhhh with glass sizes/length/depths, but if anything, I expected the older Mi1.whatever (turbulator version I've been told, fwiw) to handle all comers: I was stoked to use my two long green stems, the green IN green ON green ya know! -The blue is a beaut too. Alas, nope. Nope nope nope. (don't remember w the XL8R- no luck w screen but forget if it stayed in w/out)

Both the short green and the long blue DO however fit my Mi2- which is counter to what I expected. They both bite, hold, the works. Now I'm not up a creek, the clear Mi2 (and V1) shorties fit and lock, as shown, and the green/clear juxtaposition is growing on me, but I'm baffled.

Father, why have you forsaken me? lol

In any case, w/ out further ado:
IMG-9074.jpg

IMG-9078.jpg

IMG-9087.jpg

IMG-9086.jpg

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
('o'),- -{Helllloooooo!)

So adopted and new old-girl... This Milaana 1(.5?) was waiting for me when I got home yesterday.
Beaut, love the green glasshole, the intake is different (spoiled by the 2's carb!) and leaves the draw up to me, but I'll play with it to be sure.

Few questions tho (@Other Side, I'll get at ya privately, but thought I'd ask Parliament here as well):

Wood? Any of you experts know what that one is? (I know the MOST experienced lean HARD into exotics so maybe not...)

Glass sizes? The glass that came with it Does. Not. Work. neither one (green shorty, dark blue longness) bottom out and spin/wobble. No hope of lock, with or without screens (this Mi came with the rimless baskets that you push all the way in...)

Now I know of some ehhhhhhh with glass sizes/length/depths, but if anything, I expected the older Mi1.whatever (turbulator version I've been told, fwiw) to handle all comers: I was stoked to use my two long green stems, the green IN green ON green ya know! -The blue is a beaut too. Alas, nope. Nope nope nope. (don't remember w the XL8R- no luck w screen but forget if it stayed in w/out)

Both the short green and the long blue DO however fit my Mi2- which is counter to what I expected. They both bite, hold, the works. Now I'm not up a creek, the clear Mi2 (and V1) shorties fit and lock, as shown, and the green/clear juxtaposition is growing on me, but I'm baffled.

IMG-9074.jpg

IMG-9078.jpg

IMG-9087.jpg

IMG-9086.jpg

Nice! Looks like Walnut or possibly Aspen? Sorry bout the poor glass luck

Shit Snacks,

GetLeft

Hmmm. All my Mi 1.5 glass fits my Mi 2 and vice verse. The third pic from the top seems to show different IDs. I know that some Mi's were sent back with broken glass inserts. Perhaps the misfit is due to a non-matching repair.

I use both my Mi's most commonly with a 14mm stem around which I wrap a narrow band of silicone. That probably wouldn't work with your situation, but an appropriately sized O-ring would allow the misfit to snuggle in as intended.

Nothing like having a pair of Mi's hanging around, huh? I feel like I'm always covered.

Last edited:

eideal852

Hmmm. All my Mi 1.5 glass fits my Mi 2 and vice verse. The third pic from the top seems to show different IDs. I know that some Mi's were sent back with broken glass inserts. Perhaps the misfit is due to a non-matching repair.
Dude said it's always been that way (he said he thinks that the "fitted" stems came later) but I dunno if he got the Mi from the source or second hand.
That said, I think the ID is more an optical illusion, glass/light. It is definitely less deep: using my scientific measure (telescoping antenna) the Clear Glasshole is slightly deeper, allowing "full insertion" :brow:- in any case, the taper should match (like i said, the shorter 19/19-ish stems seat nicely)...

in any case, my Mi2 has a deeper bottom than the Mi1, which is opposite what I expected.

eideal852,
Reactions: Mangu

Mangu

Can anyone offer up some safety precautions with the Milaana and 18650 batteries? Other than making sure we take good care of the batteries and protect them when not in use, what are some other safe guards to be aware of? Every time I go to buy some batteries I get the sense I’m not being as safe as I could be with all the warnings against unprotected devices...

eideal852

Can anyone offer up some safety precautions with the Milaana and 18650 batteries? Other than making sure we take good care of the batteries and protect them when not in use, what are some other safe guards to be aware of? Every time I go to buy some batteries I get the sense I’m not being as safe as I could be with all the warnings against unprotected devices...
I've no advice, but I want to know as well, think it every time I see an ecigsplosion article, then again last night (new old Mi1 has a springy sound to the button that was tripping me out:uhoh:

eideal852,
Reactions: Mangu

mrbonsai420

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
('o'),- -{Helllloooooo!)

IMG-9074.jpg

IMG-9078.jpg

IMG-9087.jpg

IMG-9086.jpg

I have a V 1.5 as well. They are definitely on the short side of 18/22mm. What I do is get a diamond grit wheel for my dremel and file about .5mm off and they work like a charm on all of them. Use some water or lube during the grinding process and it is really easy. I have even cut off some old 18/26mm attachments to fit.

mrbonsai420,
Reactions: KeroZen

eideal852

I have a V 1.5 as well. They are definitely on the short side of 18/22mm. What I do is get a diamond grit wheel for my dremel and file about .5mm off and they work like a charm on all of them. Use some water or lube during the grinding process and it is really easy. I have even cut off some old 18/26mm attachments to fit.
Bonsai, so fitting. Trim here. no trim here.

dumb question:
Slice it from the side? (glass donut!)
Or grind it from the tip.

Edit: cool ascii art attempt fail

eideal852,

eideal852

You need to grind slowly from the tip/rim, don't try to cut it. You can use the side of a diamond coated cutting disk (not the cutting edge)

But do it under the faucet and wear a respiratory protection (and also glasses/goggles if you can) Glass dust is pretty bad so play it safe.
what i figured, but im bound to fuck it up anyway...

mrbonsai420

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
what i figured, but im bound to fuck it up anyway...

Yeah, just grind from the tip and keep it wet and you should be fine. It doesn't need much, just a little grind and it will lock right in. My poor Milaana never gets used, I miss her. :( , I only use concentrates now so it's the Liger, Peak, Switch, and Sai that get all the love now.

mucsusn

60 going on 20
('o'),- -{Helllloooooo!)

IMG-9074.jpg

IMG-9078.jpg

IMG-9087.jpg

IMG-9086.jpg
Looks like a Walnut and Cherry to me

mucsusn,
Reactions: Jill NYC

Shit Snacks

Shit Snacks

As promised, in creation order:
fnfmlc.jpg

The original maple beta Milaana (the first with the official name used by RBT), then first official maple V1 batch that ran hot and was built rough, followed by the gorgeous V2 in purpleheart, and then the Milaana II in walnut with sapele cap.

w7lx81.jpg

Joined by SplinterV2 + SplinterZ Canary

jpa99d.jpg

Maple/Exotic sandwich

2jeurz6.jpg

Back in order, more angles

4jsx02.jpg

Intake screen evolution vs sexy bottoms

2uhpes6.jpg

Maple bottoms, remember V1 router mark?

izot5h.jpg

Beta, PH, Mi2 sized up (V1 props)

sopssm.jpg

29gcttx.jpg

13zx3c.jpg

zxk8jk.jpg

2nr1nbc.jpg

Beta and Mi2 pretty close in size!

ibkt5e.jpg

And all together, before I pack em back up (the purpleheart is like the ultimate collectible imo), while the Milaana II will carry me (along with those Splinters!)

Last edited:

mixchu69

As promised, in creation order:
fnfmlc.jpg

The original maple beta Milaana (the first with the official name used by RBT), then first official maple V1 batch that ran hot and was built rough, followed by the gorgeous V2 in purpleheart, and then the Milaana II in walnut with sapele cap.

w7lx81.jpg

Joined by SplinterV2 + SplinterZ Canary

jpa99d.jpg

Maple/Exotic sandwich

2jeurz6.jpg

Back in order, more angles

4jsx02.jpg

Intake screen evolution vs sexy bottoms

2uhpes6.jpg

Maple bottoms, remember V1 router mark?

izot5h.jpg

Beta, PH, Mi2 sized up (V1 props)

sopssm.jpg

29gcttx.jpg

13zx3c.jpg

zxk8jk.jpg

2nr1nbc.jpg

Beta and Mi2 pretty close in size!

ibkt5e.jpg

And all together, before I pack em back up (the purpleheart is like the ultimate collectible imo), while the Milaana II will carry me (along with those Splinters!)
@Shit Snacks , do u still use your milanna 1? I'm thinking about getting a splinter Z, but was not the biggest fan of the milanna 1. But at the same time, haven't practiced much with it. Do u still think it is worthwhile?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom