• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued The RBT Milaana (unregulated single 18650)

Status
Not open for further replies.

analytika

Do you guys have any tips about keeping the herb from falling?

Within the firsts hits is not a problem, it holds just fine, but after the firsts hits I stir and then the herb just won’t hold.

I stir and then gently tap the mouthpiece against my hand and 1 or 2 pieces will fall, but I just keep going and nothing else falls, so I think it’s all good. I then start hitting and get no vapor, so I check and surprise! All the herb has fallen into the female glass.

I guess after the firsts hits and stir the herb is hot so it’s a bit harder for it to hold down?

Anyway, do you guys have any tips on how to avoid this?

Thanks.
Tamp down with the solid rounded back end (no eraser) of a Mars Staedler pencil.

Dynavaper

Karma Farmer
I have attached a magnet to my Milaana which holds a screw or nail with a broad head. I use the slender part for stirring and the head to tamp. Works great and is always at hand. Best is an unthreaded nail, of course, but I did not have my standard nail around while taking the picture.

7vMrVg1.jpg

Last edited:

TheRobbo

Keep the Milaana tipped up toward you so gravity is your friend. Its O.K. if a little bit falls, but you don't want the whole load against the screen. Ive, even, heard of some using two screens, but thats a bit of overkill IMO!

I have attached a magnet to my Milaana which holds a screw or nail with a broad head. I use the slender part for stirring and the head to tamp. Works great and is always at hand. Best is an unthreaded nail, of course, but I did not have my standard nail around while taking the picture.

7vMrVg1.jpg
Sorry for the pun but I always have my pinkie at hand...
I find it almost the perfect size for that tamp after a stir (if required)... Ok so I normally find it leaves it a little concave so like to go round the edge with the but end of the stir stick to make it flat but its probably my OCD and unnecessary!

chlorophyll_man

AVB Inspector
Keep the Milaana tipped up toward you so gravity is your friend. Its O.K. if a little bit falls, but you don't want the whole load against the screen. Ive, even, heard of some using two screens, but thats a bit of overkill IMO!
Yup, I'm one of those two-screeners! :wave:

Next time I clean out the mouthpiece I might go back and re-try the one screen gravity method again, but previously I would still find this dropped crumbs out. I know this probably doesn't matter to most, but it made me uncomfortable.:mental:

When I try again I'm going to use a top-hat screen only, with about 0.03, and see If I can't extract the lot without having to remove and stir at all. I never could get a good technique at stirring with the top-hat, bits would jump out making me unhappy again.:rolleyes:

I wish I was a braver human being about these things, I really do!:uhoh:

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I've used the Zion, the Milaana, and the Splinter a lot, and I have never tamped down or used a double screen. There is no issue except annoyance with the load falling into the female joint. You can minimize this "fallout" by simply remembering to invert the device before removing the stem.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Have you tried not stirring but instead try rotating the stem 60-90˚ every 2nd or 3rd hit? Don't spin the stem while in the joint, withdraw it, rotate it, reinsert.

I should clarify that I usually stir.

Some further thoughts: the screen is not heated, so material falling onto it won't cook and clog it. Almost all of the heat comes from the hot air when you are drawing, so you pull anything that has fallen back up into the stem. There's probably some radiant heat if you hold the button down, but I don't think it's an issue. I've done some outrageous experiments with the RBT devices, including dumping a load directly onto the screen and holding the button down until I see vapour*, and nothing has ever clogged that screen. Occasionally, I'll dig out gently around the edge of the screen, where stuff tends to get trapped. None of my screens have needed anything beyond that.

* This is a standard test I do to determine how much conduction and radiant heat there might be. All RBT devices are pretty much pure convection.

alex91

I should clarify that I usually stir.

Some further thoughts: the screen is not heated, so material falling onto it won't cook and clog it. Almost all of the heat comes from the hot air when you are drawing, so you pull anything that has fallen back up into the stem. There's probably some radiant heat if you hold the button down, but I don't think it's an issue. I've done some outrageous experiments with the RBT devices, including dumping a load directly onto the screen and holding the button down until I see vapour*, and nothing has ever clogged that screen. Occasionally, I'll dig out gently around the edge of the screen, where stuff tends to get trapped. None of my screens have needed anything beyond that.

* This is a standard test I do to determine how much conduction and radiant heat there might be. All RBT devices are pretty much pure convection.

That’s interesting. How did it work when you dumped the load into the female glass screen? I won’t do that, but I’m curious.

Also, how do you dig the edge of the female glass screen? With a toothpick, needle or something else?

alex91,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
That’s interesting. How did it work when you dumped the load into the female glass screen? I won’t do that, but I’m curious.

There's no reason for anyone to do this except to see how long it takes to start producing vapour if there is no airflow. On a fully charged battery, under a strong light I could see faint vapour after about 45 seconds. It was still almost non-existent after 60 seconds.

Also, how do you dig the edge of the female glass screen? With a toothpick, needle or something else?

As I already said, gently. I have used a wooden toothpick but I normally use a bamboo ear spoon:

They're actually cute little doll things; click the image to see what I mean. I'm mean and pull the heads off. 20 for under $3 US is a lifetime supply for me.

jardri

Vapor Dreams
Hello i am here to point out that the Milaana should ship by default with a cooling mouthpiece like the one i got from an uk vape store or similar.

I cant even use the standard or long mouthpiece cause vapour its so hot and harsh. Its like selling a 1000 hp car with bicycle wheels.

And a photo of the cooler:

bl9L00x.jpg

Other Side

Retailer
Retailer
Hello i am here to point out that the Milaana should ship by default with a cooling mouthpiece like the one i got from an uk vape store or similar.

I cant even use the standard or long mouthpiece cause vapour its so hot and harsh. Its like selling a 1000 hp car with bicycle wheels.

bl9L00x.jpg
I like the cooling mouthpiece too but there are plenty of folks that can use it without discomfort with the stock stems. Another option for you might be to run it through water which will cool AND moisturize the vapor.

trfe

bl9L00x.jpg
Looks perfect! Did you buy online or was it a local headshop?

trfe,
Reactions: vapen00b

chlorophyll_man

AVB Inspector

bl9L00x.jpg
Yes, likewise dude, I needed the cooling mouthpiece before I could successfully use my Milaana about the house.

I have a question for you and others that use the cooling mouthpiece:

If you use the dual bowl arrangement (basket screen pushed down into mouthpiece joint, squished top-hat screen caps the mouthpiece joint), what do you use to stop the basket screen slipping and falling all the way down?:hmm:

Most of the methods I use result in very high heat build up of the glass joint, which I imagine will degrade the epoxy quicker than normal (maybe I'm over-worrying about this?:myday:).
Regardless, interesting to know what techniques are being used elsewhere.

@trfe the mouthpiece is only available here I think https://vapefiend.co.uk/products/milaana-cooling-mouthpiece
Enjoy tomorrow :leaf::love:

chlorophyll_man,
Reactions: vapen00b

jardri

Vapor Dreams
Yes, likewise dude, I needed the cooling mouthpiece before I could successfully use my Milaana about the house.

If you use the dual bowl arrangement (basket screen pushed down into mouthpiece joint, squished top-hat screen caps the mouthpiece joint), what do you use to stop the basket screen slipping and falling all the way down?:hmm:

Most of the methods I use result in very high heat build up of the glass joint, which I imagine will degrade the epoxy quicker than normal (maybe I'm over-worrying about this?:myday:).

@trfe the mouthpiece is only available here I think https://vapefiend.co.uk/products/milaana-cooling-mouthpiece

Unfortunately i havent tried that. The mouthpiece came with an eq basket and it is all i use no mods needed

jardri,

TheRobbo

bl9L00x.jpg
This sounds like too much button time causing excess heat, you would be surprised how long after you release the button you get vapour and how little on time is actually needed. In a relaxed session the first part after 4 sec preheat I'm probably off the button more than on! Really low temp flavour sensation then as the device warms up its longer on the button at the start of the hit with shorter gaps between then ride down the wave with button off till I dont feel vapour.
Can be upwards of 8 or 9 seconds...
I really only get bordering on too hot right at the end but by then its normally finished...
Now if im going for a quick lung buster it can get harsh but I think thats is just volume of vapour. But cooling makes it much easier!

Also sounds like too much throttle my glass never really gets that hot... even when I'm showing off. Gets hot but never really scalding I can hold my finger in the female :razz: without discomfort. The epoxy is rated for way more than my finger so should be fine there.
Try less button time slow your draw and extend the session till you feel the heat build up in the mica and ride that wave baby!
Edit: dual bowl will always require more heat to work so will heat the device faster too!
Also sorry for the essay, I just had a 3 week T break and hey 4.20 :sherlock::tup: Milaana has just nailed me to the ceiling :whoa::whoa::whoa:

SpudBob

Like Ive said before, I believe the reduced diameter mouthpieces REALLY make a big difference in temp/taste. I have NO problem with temp from a 3" glass tube. Mine is a glass/wood wong that I got from Alan. DDave, I believe, still makes some smaller diameter pieces. They are 8mm ID pieces. RBT's are, about, 12mm ID. The reduced flow doesn't let as much air through. This cools the vapor more before it hits your throat. Its a little bit more restrictive this way but still very free flowing. This combo has proven better all around for temp/flavor and even conservation of the load. Im getting 5-6 good pulls from a .05gm load!!!

alex91

Have I never realized that the screen is like this or it’s actually supposed to uniformly wrap around the mouthpiece?

ERkJE2s.jpg

alex91,
Reactions: GetLeft

Cl4ud3

My battery cover is getting overly hot... Is there supposed to be a specific configuration with the nut and washers?

Not really no, one above and below is all. What you do need to do is clean the post, the copper indent that touches the battery and where the washers touch. That's often the common cause of a hot battery cover.

TheRobbo

My battery cover is getting overly hot... Is there supposed to be a specific configuration with the nut and washers?

I have the brass knob directly on the copper tab and washers around the guitar pic. The power runs through the copper to the brass then down the post. Any washers between are only gonna increase resistance!
The heat is deffinatly caused by build up in the threads. Clean the post the female thread of the brass and the flat contact surfaces. I have been using glases wipes which smell like ISO but a damp paper towel would do... Normally have to do this every 6 weeks or so but is pretty much the only maintenance I ever have to do !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom