Discontinued The RBT Milaana (unregulated single 18650)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HD Springer

Thanks for the replies.

I have been leaving the screen just inside the stem. Would moving the screen further into the stem (away from the heat) make any positive difference?

@TeeJay1952 I like the idea of practicing, but I do not like to waste medicine or suck on burnt tasting medicine.

With the hints I am getting and some practice I am hopeful I can grow to like this vape.

Yes by all means I would move the load to where the 18 mm meets up with the stem part. And while your still getting the hang of it I would limit your load size. Pack a nice thin puck of fairly fine ground material. And start as VnV suggested and start pulling as soon as you press the button.

As many people have said there can be a lot more work to an unregulated device. But in my eyes the Mi works so well because there is enough power to combust but there's enough "variables" to prevent that from happening. And once you dial it all in it pays off big time.

My best hits come from me letting the heat ramp up and then my draw speed helps to maintain the ideal vaporizing temps. But it's all in what works or doesn't work for you. Good luck. Hope some of this helps.

AJS

Calm Consistency
Thanks for the replies.

I have been leaving the screen just inside the stem. Would moving the screen further into the stem (away from the heat) make any positive difference?

@TeeJay1952 I like the idea of practicing, but I do not like to waste medicine or suck on burnt tasting medicine.

With the hints I am getting and some practice I am hopeful I can grow to like this vape.

One way to ensure good flavor without scorching and to learn the device is to hold the button down and slowly inhale until the heat hits a point of vaporization, then let go of the button and ride the "residual heat" (you'll hear this term a lot) as it cools down. You'll get awesome flavor this way and will ease yourself into the power of the device.

Hold button while inhaling *senses heat rise: cool at first, then first sign of slight heat, then luke warm, then feel resin in mouth as feeling get WARM, let off button, feel heat cool down as you continue to draw slowly ... flavors mmmmmm.* (with one of my units this happens within 4-6 seconds, on my hotter unit it's more like 2 seconds. Every device is slightly different.)

You really don't need to feel a lot of heat to get vapor. It's pretty smooth on the lower temps and you can get vapor with barely feeling it warm sometimes. But for the cool off method and not a steady temp method, you definitely want to feel some warmth before you let off. Practice your timing of letting off based off warmth and make a mental note of vapor exhale, flavor, and how the load looks after your hit.

You'll get it man, just let off sooner than you are and ride the heat as it cools down. I've recorded vapor production for about 7 seconds even when not pressing the button anymore, the heater holds residual heat very well.

Hit me up if you wanna work one on one. I, as well as others, welcome the idea of one on one help.

GetLeft

Hey @sickmanfraud sorry you haven't felt the love yet.

I realized pretty quickly that the 18mm bowl was too big for me. It' tricky to pack a small amount in it and still get good performance. When at least half full with a light tamp it's easier to control for me.

But for my needs (a couple of hits max and I'm good), I find the DDave 14mm mod to fit the bill perfectly. Filling the small bowl and giving a light tamp provides the necessary resistence and a couple of great hits for me. There is variability with my sessions depending on battery level but it's usually pretty easy to adjust to so if the first hit is a little whispy the second is right on. And although there are milaana jedi among us, I'm not one. Stirring a bit between hits always allows for better performance for me. Not that I always stir but when I do I avoid any balck spots.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
There are some best of threads, maybe a mod could set one up for the Mi. It is sorely needed! Once set up, I think all that is needed is for people to nominate specific posts to be in it. Think a bunch of great ones from @AJS would make a great start!

One other tip for you @sickmanfraud .... Don't think I've seen it brought up yet. Turn your mouthpiece 1/4 turn between hits to distribute the heat a little better. This used to something discussed more in the thread, but not sure if many still doing it. I do, and seems to prevent a need for stirring until the last hit or two of the load.

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
We do seriously need a best of thread here.
Sounds good. Let's get it started! All you need to know is right here . . .
Many of our threads have become so long that it has gotten difficult for people to find the good stuff. To cope with this, we use "Best Of" threads.

These threads are created by copying the best posts for each thread to a locked thread in this sub-forum.
  • We will copy posts based on your recommendations.
  • Anyone can nominate a post by simply posting a link to it in this thread. Place your cursor over the number in the lower right corner of the post, then right-click and copy the link.
  • Nominated posts should be reasonably well-written and provide useful information.
  • Once a nomination has been dealt with, it will be removed from this thread.
We hope that these threads become a valuable resource over time, but this depends on the community. These threads will be as good as you make them. Note that they will be always be unfinished, and will usually not have much in them when they are started.

Finally, we reserve the right to make the decision whether a post will be included or not.

Please do not start discussions here. Make your comments in the Best Of... thread in the Community section. To make this work, we need volunteers. Thanks for helping.

Edit to add clarifications
  • You can put as many nominations in a post as you like within the 10,000 character limit.
  • You can nominate your own posts.
  • Valid respectful criticisms should be selected. These aren't fan threads.
  • Problem descriptions are important even if they are unresolved.
  • The posts selected can be identified by the Best Of FC badge:
    bofc.png

This badge is a link back to the relevant "Best Of" thread.
So, let's find some useful posts that fit @pakalolo's criteria, and nominate them to get it started :tup:

And here's a link to the nomination thread . . . .
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/how-the-best-of-threads-work-post-nominations-here.16613/

Gotta love Mi FC community! :)

Stick with it @sickmanfraud :science:

:peace:

AJS

Calm Consistency
These are the entries I got from some very helpful users a while back. Finally decided to put them in a post. A good start to the best of imo. I cropped them slightly to keep them applicable. Here ya go!

::

"I have one older Milaana and one newer. The newer one runs much faster and hotter than the old one and they require vastly different techniques. My draw is almost always the same, I draw slowly with minimal pressure. To put a number on it, maybe a 40% draw.

Older version:
Two 5-second pre-heats to get the vape warm before every session. I find this helps to get more even ABV.
For low temp - Draw with the button for around 5 seconds, and then pulses of 2-3 seconds. Let go of the button with enough lung power left to draw from residual heat. No stirring needed.
For high temp - Pre-heat for 5 seconds and then start drawing. Draw with button pressed until just enough lung power to draw out residual heat. Stirring required every two hits.

Newer version:
Pre-heat not needed.
At the top of the battery, while drawing the whole time, hold button for slow 3 count, let go of button for 1 count, repeat until just enough lung power to draw residual heat. As the battery depletes, button is held for longer.

I hope this helps. Thanks!"
- @fluffhead

"So I prefer basket style for small loads (upagainst the edge, with a cm or so of a glass rim), for one or two people, fill as much asyou want (just enough to cover the screen, a full dense pack, or anything in between. Half full and 3/4 full work exceptionallywell). With a fresh battery be sure to not hold the trigger more than a few seconds at a time, a weaker battery can be more forgiving, but if back to back hits are taken and the unit is heat soaked, be sure to build the trigger for only a few seconds at a time. The key is to draw slow at first, let heat build in the bowl as you draw it though the herb, then pick up draw speed as the heat rises, let go of the trigger and continuedrawing with steady suction for a few more seconds to clear the hit with a smooth finish. This is generally low temp extraction, but if you session it you can still finish the bowl as things get more heat soaked. Stirring could be more minimal with this method, though I do still like to stir every 5 hits give or take, for more even extraction and optimal taste (you can taste it when you need to stir, as one spot will get more cooked than others, so this is the flavor chaser's Milaana technique)

Forgot to mention that I now prefer to load with a scooper tool, let it in loose even when fully packed, and take the start of the first hit inverted so the heat can naturally tamp the load. You can take one light hit like this to set the load so it will not fall out, can even store in the battery case like this since the herbs are secure. Sucking up herb in the bowl like a straw also works, especially out and about reloading, just may require more stirring to break up the load after a few hits to prevent hot spots.

Grind is medium, can be medium fine or medium course, for slightly different results and depending on the herbs. With screen stock style (dome vs basket) the bowl is bigger and better for more people (still fine for one or two too), there you want to fill it 3/4 or half full to allow for more even heating. Again stirring can be avoided with the same trigger and draw technique, but still prefer stirring for optimal taste and most even extraction, may be able to hold trigger a bit longer with this set up as well.

Hope that all helps!"
- @Shit Snacks

"HERB PREP
First and foremost, to get the most out of any vape, herb prep is where it all starts (as well as herb quality). The Milaana has enough raw power to cook through anything, but for best effect, taste, clouds, efficiency, I like to get the moisture out.

I normally take a couple of small buds (couple of grams) and place in a small glass bowl, I have a lamp with an adjustable "arm" that I can lower the bulb up and down to about 6 or 8 inches from the material. Too close and you risk overdrying (or vaping before it hits the vaporizer). I've done this, not good.

I use a medtainer to shred, and if weed is properly dried, it rips it to dust. If not, it's left all gummy (including medtainer), and you'll lose some taste and in my opinion, session duration will suffer with less efficient extraction.

The key to the session you want it to be, sip or rip, long or short, is about getting the herb just right and on to the next issue, stem pack.

Stem Packing and Screen Placement
I like the screen placed at exactly where it was intended, in the exact manner it was intended to be placed. RBT got it right the first time around. Fill it 3/4 of the way, about .08 or so, and leave about an 1/8 of an inch from tip. The classic screen placement is open end of basket facing mouthpiece, push to where the entire screen just makes it into the frosted (tapered) end.

For a quick session (not really what I do), push the screen closer, put in less weed. Still leave the 1/8 inch. When you do this you loose the marathon nature of the classic placement. Must be something about the right amount of weed, right distance, where the heat can really soak the material. I think if there isn't enough weed in there, you lose something as the heated material is so much less volume (less heat). It's like trying to make a small amount of oatmeal vs a large pot. The large pot tastes so much better, even though the small amount is good.

Tamp pretty tight but don't crush. Experiment with this. The product, dryness, humidity, all come into play. If you get it wrong, stir and retamp. The tamp is what really sets the stem up to cook nicely, allowing the "heat to hover" in the material more than anyplace else. When the Mi is cooking, the maple body gets hot. It's a big block of wood, so it holds it, but when it gets hot like that with the right load and tamp, you're in for a long session without stirring. I still stir near the end to finish things up no matter what.

Sometimes I stir a lot, sometimes only once. If I don't nail the session, stirring can bring things back, as well as a last minute screen adjustment. If all goes right, the ABV is dark, dark with taste at the end that never wains. If one of the following occur, bad dry, bad load, bad tamp, bad draw, too much button, the ABV can be uneven, with some brown still left. I've repacked this and gotten two or three tasty clouds. I'm always amazed at this. I was about to toss it, and reloaded, getting 2 huge hits that did not taste burnt at all.

Teaching Others
Teaching others in a crowd is not possible. If you have company who vape or smoke, let them use another vape, or roll a joint, and you can hit Mi. If they are there to learn to vape (into it), it's not that bad. I taught my wife in one minute. There needs to be focus, concentration, can't be in social conversation, playing a board game, drinking heavy.

Do all of the above and take the fist hit or two yourself. Have them watch the way you draw slowly into your mouth. Depends on what unit you have as far as heat up time, but i hate counting seconds and it's not necessary. You can press that button all day, it's the button press and draw that will combust. Just pressing the button drains the battery. Press long enough to feel heats you pull. Press for a few seconds before beginning pull, this is more important when unit is cold, or on older units.

Pull and Press
So press first, wait a couple of seconds and start to sip. Start with the short stem because it's easier to pick up the feedback on your mouth and lips. Pull SLOW, but with a vacuum like effect, into your mouth, the opposite of the way you'd pull on a doob (down into your lungs). Use your upper lip to reduce the open area so you can pull through a narrow space (more pressure, less volume). You can play this like a flute as you keep finger at the ready to either release completely, or feather if you feel the back end dropping off too quickly.

It's all about the syncronicity of the pull and press. If you've pulled slowly, feeling the herb cook, you can sometimes release completely and pull a bit quicker and more powerfully, as the heat drops off (you kind of keep it from dropping by pulling, like fanning a flame).

Have them watch you, and encourage the complete release vs feathering if it's too much. Warn them to stop pulling and pressing if they feel too much heat at their lips. Demonstrate the process, and let them try in between your good hits.

Cleaning
Cleaning is a joke. I just put in an empty stem and pull. Screen is spotless after that. Once in a blue moon I soak stems in ISO just so they look all shiny and clean, really not even necessary. For what reason, everything stays real clean. You never have to touch the Milaana itself. This is a huge plus."
- @Bravesst

jazzyvapeman

Got my @DDave V3 mod today. That was FAST!!! First 2 runs through were excellent. Vapor was flavorful and was so smooth I killed both bowls in one hit each...I normally flavor chase a bit more. An excellent addition to an excellent vaporizer.

One question about the Milaana though, does any else sometimes struggle with proper placement of the battery/cover? On more than a few occasions I've thought my was drained or my button had an issue, after a little experimenting I think I may have been premature in my assessment and maybe the battery or the lid just needed an adjustment. Is it just me?

Quite often I find myself removing the battery and roatating it and putting it back in as it won't work. Sometimes it's hard to tell if it's not working.

I think I've read here the metal prong on the bottom of the battery hole needs may need some adjustment so that may be related.

Past the honeymoon stage here, strongly considering selling herbie and preordering Zion as Herb's been gathering dust since I received my Unit.

I have no idea if I'm treating my batteries well, they're pretty cheap to replace but I need to consider the environment, and I need to research that but I'm finding as the batteries degrade a bit over time I'm having much better success with nicer even browning of ABV and larger smoother clouds. Also as the voltage goes down I have better results as well.

Just got my fav strain Blue Dream today and I've never had a better blueberry taste in my life....man I love this thing.

Last edited:

fluffhead

Recovering Idealist
Newer version:
Pre-heat not needed.
At the top of the battery, while drawing the whole time, hold button for slow 3 count, let go of button for 1 count, repeat until just enough lung power to draw residual heat. As the battery depletes, button is held for longer.
Thanks @AJS for sharing this information. I am sure we can all learn from the information that @Shit Snacks and @Bravesst shared.

I do want to say that my technique has changed since this. First, I will say that I always grind pretty fine. Not like powder, but I find a fine grind vapes more evenly for me. I use ~.09g in the basket screen pushed all the way to the top, there is a picture of my adapter/stem somewhere in the thread. Depending on the battery level, I start by drawing very very slowly with the button pressed for 2-3 second and then drawing slightly faster for 2-3 seconds. I then let go of the button and continue to draw on the residual heat. As the load goes on I do the very slow draw for shorter and the medium draw for longer. Early in a battery requires shorter button presses. I rotate the bowl slightly after each draw. Using this technique I get between 6 (samsung 25r) - 10 (lg hg2) loads per battery. Based on power I could still get a couple more stems, but the battery is usually 3.6-3.7 by that point. I hope this helps.

killick

But I like it!
So my first tale of woe on New Years Day - plowing driveways like a snowcovered madman, me and dog dodging horses and such. Anyhoo, got a good run in, had a couple of warm-up vape sessions along the way, and even brought a spare batt to ensure we were well and truly juiced. Get home and have spare batt, but the one that was in Millie is now somewhere over a vast expanse of heavily snow-covered roads, trails and forest.

So lets see - current tally:
1 short stem crushed
1 HI hybrid wood/glass smushed
1 long stem smooshed
1 battery, donated to nature

Not bad for a year, say wot?

On to my newest fave things btw, which is loading a stem about 1/2 full of herb, and then topping that off with a few scoops of kief from the RYOT box. Holding the stem skyward, preheat for 6-8 seconds, and then draw (still inverted, keeping the kief on the herb). After the first draw you can remove the stem and have a peek - a nice think layer of hash-like goo. The first time I did this I had a few draws and went to dump, and noticed that herb was a very dark brown and very dry and fluffy . I was expecting sticky and goopy and got a pleasant surprise. Anyways, it's just another thing to try. If you do give it a whirl lemme know how it works for you.

Thanks @DDave for the mod. The glass reducer makes for great cooling!

Cl4ud3

So my first tale of woe on New Years Day - plowing driveways like a snowcovered madman, me and dog dodging horses and such. Anyhoo, got a good run in, had a couple of warm-up vape sessions along the way, and even brought a spare batt to ensure we were well and truly juiced. Get home and have spare batt, but the one that was in Millie is now somewhere over a vast expanse of heavily snow-covered roads, trails and forest.

So lets see - current tally:
1 short stem crushed
1 HI hybrid wood/glass smushed
1 long stem smooshed
1 battery, donated to nature

Not bad for a year, say wot?

On to my newest fave things btw, which is loading a stem about 1/2 full of herb, and then topping that off with a few scoops of kief from the RYOT box. Holding the stem skyward, preheat for 6-8 seconds, and then draw (still inverted, keeping the kief on the herb). After the first draw you can remove the stem and have a peek - a nice think layer of hash-like goo. The first time I did this I had a few draws and went to dump, and noticed that herb was a very dark brown and very dry and fluffy . I was expecting sticky and goopy and got a pleasant surprise. Anyways, it's just another thing to try. If you do give it a whirl lemme know how it works for you.

Thanks @DDave for the mod. The glass reducer makes for great cooling!
I did the same last night with my kief :) I think it was awesome, but I say think as I passed out soon after :D

Asternlemming

Quite often I find myself removing the battery and roatating it and putting it back in as it won't work. Sometimes it's hard to tell if it's not working.

I think I've read here the metal prong on the bottom of the battery hole needs may need some adjustment so that may be related.

Past the honeymoon stage here, strongly considering selling herbie and preordering Zion as Herb's been gathering dust since I received my Unit.

I have no idea if I'm treating my batteries well, they're pretty cheap to replace but I need to consider the environment, and I need to research that but I'm finding as the batteries degrade a bit over time I'm having much better success with nicer even browning of ABV and larger smoother clouds. Also as the voltage goes down I have better results as well.

Just got my fav strain Blue Dream today and I've never had a better blueberry taste in my life....man I love this thing.

I was about to respond saying I haven't had the issue since that comment and had thought a more consistent placement of the cover had solved my issue. Thought I'd have a session before writing and what do you know? Fully charged battery, no heat. I could get intermittent heat if I manually squeezed the cover, but couldn't get the angle right without some muscle help. You may be right about the contact/prong alignment. Or I may have an issue with my unit??? Either way, I love it when it works.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
@Asternlemming

tpqyKg.jpg

get a paper clip like this or a dental tool works from what I understand and pull the tab inside the battery compartment up.

only one side of it will lift up, just be gentle etc.

I'll also advise messing with the washers above/below the copper plate. I had success moving them to manipulate the leverage and get a more flush contact.

i also put my batteries in positive side down, since the negative end gives more room for contact.

@Bravesst used a nut instead of the washers which you can see in the recent pictures @AJS posted,which apparently makes for better contact and ease of use.

People also recommend cleaning that screw that comes out of the body that the copper plate attaches to.

I'm sure your unit is fine and is just making shoddy contact. Definitely update though. good luck

Asternlemming

@muunch I believe you are correct. Shoddy contact is to blame. I assumed the paper clip trick was going to be required but I first simply cleaned the post (AKA licking my fingers and wiping it down) and it worked like a fucking charm. Amazing. Will continue to experiment with the best way to lock down the battery but will also ensure everything stays very clean. Thank you!!!

killick

But I like it!
@Asternlemming you can run a twisted up corner of paper towel inside the nut and washers as well - lotsa goop hides in there. Maybe even a little galvanic corrosion from the variety of dissimilar metals. I have 3 washers below my lid, one flattened lockwasher for thickness, and one above. That keeps my lid pretty much perpendicular to the body top, and doesn't exert too much pressure on the spring. I do have to tighten the spring up after a couple of drops tho...

I found the battery that was thought lost - hiding under some snow on the ATV floor. Not wet, seeing as it's 17 deg below freezing... aka dry sift weather! Anyhoo - this is a very durable vape.

Does anyone have any best guesses as to how long the batteries should run before being replaced? I have 4 on rotation, and they seem to be working dandy. What should I be watching for prior to replacing? Random smoke and flashing? 'Splodey Face' is what @thekarmawhore (iirc) once called it...

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
I think life is measured by charging cycles rather than duration, but if you have multiples on rotation and aren't just abusing one, I replace mine after around a year, possibly sooner if I notice the performance drop.

edit:

what you should be looking for is a performance drop in any metric.

you should also be replacing the wrapping if it becomes nicked or frayed, which aside from shorting and accidental discharge (usually they happen in tandem) will be the only way one of your batteries will blow up

Last edited:

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
It's been a month now and my Mi is still waiting at the post office waiting for RBT to pick her up for service... :shrug:

EDIT: Well well well, just checked again and it was picked up! :party:
In my defense I checked the post office several times before it showed up. This is why @cannabis.pro and @RastaBuddhaTao ship Priority International. It cost nearly $40 in some cases but it's worth the piece of mind and insurance.

A few people have inquired about the wood selection so I posted some quick videos of some finished Milaana bodies.

More eye candy to come as the finishing touches have been made to @VegNVape epic Spalted Maple and Vape.com's commissioned Milaana... coolest Milaana's yet imo

Now that I am caught up I am working through emails and taking care of a few warranty issues which will include "thanks for being patient" free mouthpieces lol. Damn I need to order a @DDave kit(s). After Zion I can hang out with you cool kids :)

Last edited:

Bandoo

In my defense I checked the post office several times before it showed up. This is why @cannabis.pro and @RastaBuddhaTao ship Priority International. It cost nearly $40 in some cases but it's worth the piece of mind and insurance.

A few people have inquired about the wood selection so I posted some quick videos of some finished Milaana bodies.

More eye candy to come as the finishing touches have been made to @VegNVape epic Spalted Maple and Vape.com's commissioned Milaana... coolest Milaana's yet imo

Now that I am caught up I am working through emails and taking care of a few warranty issues which will include "thanks for being patient" free mouthpieces lol. Damn I need to order a @DDave kit(s). After Zion I can hang out with you cool kids :)
Anybody got a link to where these videos are posted??
Thanks

jazzyvapeman

Newer version:
Pre-heat not needed.

I hope this helps. Thanks!"
- @fluffhead

I have one of the newest few produced Mi's I believe and I found this advice to have worked the best for me with slight variation.

This technique is really letting me ride the low/medium temps for a really long time (hits on hits), almost no need to stir. 3 second preheat, 3 sec draw medium to low medium speed, 1 sec let go of button to clear, repeat and adjust draw and timing to feel, sometimes doing slightly less than a second clear, and sometimes going longer than 3 sec, but typically the 3 and 1 works well, I just find a 3 sec preheat is necessary if the unit is cold. I also typically keep the draw speed constant and choose to work with the other variables.

The longer I can cycle through the 3-1 I tend to get more even ABV. I get super milky smooth lower/mid temp hits with enough of a cloud to satisfy me. Blue dream has me feeling like a surfer riding a wave. :rockon:

Cleaning
Cleaning is a joke. I just put in an empty stem and pull. Screen is spotless after that. Once in a blue moon I soak stems in ISO just so they look all shiny and clean, really not even necessary. For what reason, everything stays real clean. You never have to touch the Milaana itself. This is a huge plus."
- @Bravesst

I cannot get this to work for some reason, do you have to run your unit super hot to do this?

Loving all the discussion here, thanks to everyone for contributing!

Last edited:

AJS

Calm Consistency
I cannot get this to work for some reason, do you have to run your unit super hot to do this?
After every stem I just blow my load (heh) when it's hot. Never cash a stem after you left it chill for a bit, always get it hot. I haven't cleaned my screens in over a month and they look flawless. Not a single hole in the screen has any debris whatsoever in it. I only clean for the sake of making stems shiny...the screen never needs it. I don't scrape anything either ... just hit then blow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom