Discontinued The RBT Milaana (unregulated single 18650)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bounce5

Both of mine work like a charm, I may have just gotten lucky, I tend to do that. I wonder if it's your PWTA joint? I had one of those that was wonky and wouldn't seal on anything.

Hmm, it could be the PWTA joint. I guess once I used it, they can't take it back....That would be terrible if I ordered the glass joint from OGB and it still didn't fit. Sounds like I'll have to either take that risk or buy another PWTA or the genuine Pinnacle Pro Water Tool. I'll go with the lowest cost option.

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
Milaana is still working flawless despite it's first official tumble.

It fell out of my pocket onto a carpet mat, which was on tiles, with the short stem in (as i was mid session ).

Stem went flying but survived with minor damage. The male end chipped off in 2 or 3 places but the screen remained in place, despite no glass holding it for about 1/3 of the circumference.

A quick iso q-tip treatment of the stem and female glass joint and i finished the session (was vaping reclaim in cotton so i didn't even lose any material - how lucky can you get?)

The female glass has a very very minor divet on the inside as the only 'damage' i can find on the Milaana itself.

Edit -I just checked again and it's not even a divet, not even quite a scratch. More a little mark on the female glass

Last edited:

AJS

Calm Consistency
Having a tough time getting it down through water. Getting tired of cleaning this fucker every time I combust too.
Put a light up to your piece and start pulsing just before vapor starts producing or right as it does. This is a HIGH AIRFLOW device, you don't need it WHITE in your bubbler...there will always be air mixed in dulling down the color of the vapor, unlike the E-Nano which can get thick white without even being close to combustion due to the airflow.
Slower pull will minimizing hotspots and chance of charring. Keep it on the lower temp side until you master it, then slide the temp up. You really need to be one with the unit, it's not always just visual/phsyical feedback, sometimes you need to know exactly what's going on internally and how the actual heater works and retains heat. Or as @ZC says, pretend you're going through your dry stem.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
ABV stain, one coat. I'm gonna apply more, kinda like a dry rub, then some sealer (Walnut oil or beeswax). I'll sand a bit between with some 320 grit sandpaper. Hopefully a light brown or golden tone will result. Plan on setting up a dish station (think breading cutlets) as soon as i figure best way to protect switch and battery compartment. With multiple coats and some sheen, it may be awesome.
bZ2PxGG.jpg

Last edited:

hippogriff

It's here, it's here, it's ALL here! Milaana RMA (cracked glass) took about 3 weeks, OG Milaana now w/ nearly flush glass (maybe 2mm above), w/ an extra blue glass short stem, filter material, and battery box included. I was an $89 preorder and my glass was out of warranty officially, RBTs gone way above and beyond for me, I've gotten many times my money's worth. And my @DDave kit arrived the next day! Huge value having all these parts sourced and combined, I think the 14mm stems are gonna be perfect for my use.

Only snag is I'm on a flower break till November :doh: Played w/ the fit of everything and packed it away, good to know it's ready when I am.

waxdab23

Have you guys got any go to carrying cases for your Mi's yet?

I'm thinking of picking up a go stash from stash logix, was just gonna check.

I just ordered a Ryot 10" AxePack today for carrying my Mi and other vapes and accessories: http://www.ryot.com/index.php/ryotr-smellsafetm-axepack-10-with-stickstoptm.html

It looks really bad ass to me. Securely holds plenty of items, smell proof and even has a lockable zipper.

I have their small hard case which I use for carrying concentrates, pens, attys, etc. and love it!

If you order from them, PM me for a 20% off coupon code. They provided me with one and said it would be OK to share with a few friends, but asked that I do not plaster it online.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
My wife makes fun of me that I have more bags than she. I have at least a dozen bags that ive tried out (some I had, some I bought). From leather mideval pouches (2), to camera cases (2), to toolholder belt clips (3), to fanny packs (3), to simple canvas zip bag (3), to faux book (2) ---- you get the idea.

I like the simple canas zip bag and faux book right now. I'm sure I'll want a multi compartment option on another day with a cool place for everything. I realize having too much stuff is annoying. To keep things easy, I only keep out what I need.

1. 1 Mi
2. 1 shorty
3. 2 or 3 batts
4. Full doob tube
5. All in one stir, tamp tool
6. ABV holder

That's a nice night!

6079Smith

Have you guys got any go to carrying cases for your Mi's yet?

I'm thinking of picking up a go stash from stash logix, was just gonna check.

Those stash logix look pretty nice.

I can endorse the Ryot cases, as well, I've never been disappointed in value for cost.

I re-purposed a 7" Dime Bag I had, works well but only storage for one shorty and cell, they do offer 8":

https://dimebagsstorage.com/?product=7-inch-padded-pouch

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
My favorite way to carry the milaana without a case is to store the batteries in a plastic case and put the stem in the battery slot.

It doesn't seem to pick up transit damage like the fragile devices of the day

I think I need new batteries...the milaana doesn't seem AS magical anymore..
@KeroZen what is a reasonable life span of batteries for someone who doesn't count cycles?

Also when I heave a freshly charged battery the milaana makes a slight crackling sound when heating up sometimes?

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Hi, I'm working with leather as a hobby and for my job (horserider), do you have any interest in a handmade, possibly engraved, leather pouch (I mainly use a thick high quality leather which offers a high level of protection). I already got a lot of external "patrons" but I need to work on the inside (actually it(s only the bad side of the leather without nothing else, I'm thinking to add a soft leather coating in).

It is possible to engrave a small symbol/picture, I only work with my hands and tools, no electricity or another power source. But still not for vegan....

Winter will come and I'll get some time to play with leather, let me know if you are interested...I can post some pics of my work but it's OT.

I nice leather pouch will serve the Mi very well!

My Milaana performs totally as expected, I never combusted but scortch some loads. I use it mainly dry with a cap(mesh screen) from my previous EV-2 to keep the load sealed and far enough of the heating source. I'm now able to get a full session without stirring using the right amount and technic...which still depends he battery level which is still pretty annoying....but that's why it's called Unregulated, isn't it?

My main issue is I'm not a cleaning fanboy, maybe I'm lazy but I still not really cleaned my stems and they are now very restricted but it's nice cause when I'm hurry I have only to take a hit without nothing in the stem to get crazy clouds!

My other issue is I can already see the day it will fall on the carpet.... That's why I was thinking about to sell it ....but can't decide myself to make the post...cause it's an enjoyment to use!

Now go for another resin free hit!

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
@WakeAndVape: I heard that crackling sound sometimes, unsure what it really is... The urban legend around here seems to tell it's the bud moisture being flash vaporized, but maybe it's something else, like micro-sparks on the trigger contacts?

Hey by the way I forgot to post that very important bit of information: one morning I took my Mi, loaded a fresh stem and battery, started drawing and... effin' cold! Nothing! Tried again a few times, still cold air, very disturbing... in fact so disturbing I thought it was dead!

The previous day I dropped it not very violently but still it ended on a wooden floor. No apparent damage, but maybe something was wrong inside? Thankfully it was something else!

I had in the past a couple cases where the battery lid/contact came off its post/screw and fell with the washers etc... I had to screw the post counter clockwise to make it longer as apparently over time it can become too short and deep.

This time I dismantled everything and I screwed counter-clockwise to the max until I felt some resistance and couldn't go further. Put everything back in and then got heat on first try! So I'm not sure what's happening here, but it seems possible to get an intermittent contact here.

Previously in this thread someone said it was not normal for the trigger and battery lid to become very hot during use. My Mi always had this tendency after a good lengthy session and I was not convinced it was really a problem: after all there's a single circuit made of conductive metal and both the trigger and the lid are directly connected to the heater leads, copper being a very good conductor (both heat and electricity) so...

Still, it might be just an impression but I think my Mi is not getting as hot as before in these places now. Could it be that our units can develop some kind of bad contact in that screw/post place? There's something to investigate here, and if ever you also get a dead Mi one day, remember my misadventure!

-

@WakeAndVape: now to answer your question about battery longevity, it depends if you deplete them daily or less frequently. Right now I have three in rotation dedicated to the Mi (2x 25R and 1x HG2) and on average I use 1.5 to 2 full cells daily. At this rate after about 6 months the top-end should be long gone. It's not that they don't work anymore but they just lose their ooomph.

I didn't measure exactly but it's quite possible that they now go from 4.2V directly to 3.7V under load. The more they age the more the internal resistance rises (IR) The higher the IR the more sag they have. Up to a point where technically they still work and you can still charge them to 4.2V (but it doesn't hold) but then they drop so low under load it's worthless.

Interestingly when they reach that end of life stage, there's the inverse of a sag when you charge them: say you put them at 3.6V on the charger and as soon as you apply some charge current the voltage rises very high close to 4V or more, and the charger quickly cuts at 4.2V etc, completing the CC/CV procedure etc but as soon as you remove them the voltage drops back. It's hard to explain but it's like they become "elastic" in a way... and it's this elasticity in both directions that reduces the practical capacity left.

Last edited:

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
@WakeAndVape: I heard that crackling sound sometimes, unsure what it really is... The urban legend around here seems to tell it's the bud moisture being flash vaporized, but maybe it's something else, like micro-sparks on the trigger contacts?

Hey by the way I forgot to post that very important bit of information: one morning I took my Mi, loaded a fresh stem and battery, started drawing and... effin' cold! Nothing! Tried again a few times, still cold air, very disturbing... in fact so disturbing I thought it was dead!

The previous day I dropped it not very violently but still it ended on a wooden floor. No apparent damage, but maybe something was wrong inside? Thankfully it was something else!

I had in the past a couple cases where the battery lid/contact came off its post/screw and fell with the washers etc... I had to screw the post counter clockwise to make it longer as apparently over time it can become too short and deep.

This time I dismantled everything and I screwed counter-clockwise to the max until I felt some resistance and couldn't go further. Put everything back in and then got heat on first try! So I'm not sure what's happening here, but it seems possible to get an intermittent contact here.

Previously in this thread someone said it was not normal for the trigger and battery lid to become very hot during use. My Mi always had this tendency after a good lengthy session and I was not convinced it was really a problem: after all there's a single circuit made of conductive metal and both the trigger and the lid are directly connected to the heater leads, copper being a very good conductor (both heat and electricity) so...

Still, it might be just an impression but I think my Mi is not getting as hot as before in these places now. Could it be that our units can develop some kind of bad contact in that screw/post place? There's something to investigate here, and if ever you also get a dead Mi one day, remember my misadventure!

-

@WakeAndVape: now to answer your question about battery longevity, it depends if you deplete them daily or less frequently. Right now I have three in rotation dedicated to the Mi (2x 25R and 1x HG2) and on average I use 1.5 to 2 full cells daily. At this rate after about 6 months the top-end should be long gone. It's not that they don't work anymore but they just lose their ooomph.

I didn't measure exactly but it's quite possible that they now go from 4.2V directly to 3.7V under load. The more they age the more the internal resistance rises (IR) The higher the IR the more sag they have. Up to a point where technically they still work and you can still charge them to 4.2V (but it doesn't hold) but then they drop so low under load it's worthless.

Interestingly when they reach that end of life stage, there's the inverse of a sag when you charge them: say you put them at 3.6V on the charger and as soon as you apply some charge current the voltage rises very high close to 4V or more, and the charger quickly cuts at 4.2V etc, completing the CC/CV procedure etc but as soon as you remove them the voltage drops back. It's hard to explain but it's like they become "elastic" in a way... and it's this elasticity in both directions that reduces the practical capacity left.
Just my opinion here...but the washers are there to make sure you get a good contact. If your just using the copper door with no washer there may not be a strong contact to the screw post because the hole in the copper door is much bigger in diamater than the actual post. I was having an issue where I would put in a fresh battery and my Mi wouldnt do anything when I pushed the button. Putting the washers back fixed this issue for me.

AJS

Calm Consistency
I had to screw the post counter clockwise to make it longer as apparently over time it can become too short and deep.
Do you have an older unit before the tweaks? My older one had this, but not apparent with my newer one ..

Someone mentioned that crackle ... I can feel when it is about to happen, it's a huge resin flavor in my mouth with a sharp spike in temperature when I'm really laying on the throttle *crackle*. Same thing when I had really resinous herb with my LSV, I could feel it comin and a split second before think, ohhhhh this might be a crackle!

Maybe I'm crazy.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
but the washers are there to make sure you get a good contact. If your just using the copper door with no washer

I do have all washers in place, it was the post itself that was not making good contact down below inside the wood. I never dared to remove it completely and look inside that hole though...

Do you have an older unit before the tweaks? My older one had this, but not apparent with my newer one ..

Relatively old yes, but still with recessed glass and the grill/screen on the intake. I think it was one of the firsts after the initial batch.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I prefer to put my cells button (positive) down. I tend to minimize how much I unscrew that lid when swapping (probably to avoid having the damn thing fall apart again!) and the copper tab can rub against the cell and scratch the wrapping a bit.

If the wrapping gets damaged on the negative side it's no big deal, but on the positive side we need it to maintain the cell integrity: the plastic insulation washer (white or black ring) is held in place solely by that wrapping. When it's damaged or removed altogether, it exposes a potential negative contact point very close to the positive tab (the entire battery shell is negative up to the top ridge)

Of course you should rewrap your cells if ever you get to that point, but still I think it's best to wear them on the side that has little incidence, hence negative up. Plus as a bonus you don't have to position the copper lid very precisely on the tab, as the negative is a larger "target".

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Milaana battery geeks, I need help.
First, somehow, I've accumulated 27 batteries, all in an even rotation. I must use 2 or 3 a day.

I have 2 nitecore chargers, one i2 and one d4. I just bought a new charger /tester. Haven't really looked at yet. I want to get rid of any worn batts. Exactly what am I testing for?

I know this is an amateur question, but this is complicated stuff.

I have experienced a hot copper top, suspected contact issue (had to adjust washers, pull contacts out on one Mi, lost track of which one, I'll monitor). It only seems to happen when Mi is red hot and cranking out an impossibley long session.

Last edited:

little maggie

Milaana battery geeks, I need help.
First, somehow, I've accumulated 27 batteries, all in an even rotation. I must use 2 or 3 a day.

I have 2 nitecore chargers, one i2 and one d4. I just bought a new charger /tester. Haven't really looked at yet. I want to get rid of any worn batts. Exactly what am I testing for?

I know this is an amateur question, but this is complicated stuff.

I have experienced a hot copper top, suspected contact issue (had to adjust washers, pull contacts out on one Mi, lost track of which one, I'll monitor). It only seems to happen when Mi is red hot and cranking out an impossibley long session.
Wow! I have 3 in rotation but each one lasts several days.

ZC

I've found positive-down to be the easier way as well. It's a tiny difference for sure, but it's easier to place and tighten the copper plate correctly when its dimple is sliding across a flat surface instead of trying to line it up with the bump on the positive side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom