1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The "Project" DIY Herbal Vaporizer

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Pipes, Mar 17, 2016.

1. KeroZen

KeroZen Chronic vapaholic

This part sounds completely off to me! In the Milaana thread we have to tell new users to draw SLOWER precisely to avoid center hot spots... :shrug:

Try extracting more slowly, at lower temperature and over a longer session maybe? Or well, if you like it your way, whatever.

2. ander

ander Well-Known Member

In fact, it seems that I like it pretty harsh. Instant vapor and hit on the throat. Ex smoker. Forever...

3. KeroZen

A bit late to the game, as I don't know whether they will produce it again or not (they only do small limited batches of their vapes) but here is the XvoStick:

http://mini-ecig.com/XvoStick

DNA60 based, SBS design, up to 23mm, should be good for the Project but not for the iHeat and Splinter.

2clicker and Hjalmark like this.
  4. Phenix

Phenix Well-Known Member

well I did not read the thread fully (50pages plus are massive) however from the first few pages I got it like "if you are lucky a fellow FCer already built one for hisself and has all parts for another one laying around" - snowball effect.

So: Does maybe someone has the parts, a kit, or a assembled one on hand and would like to pass it on to me?
    I am located in Germany, therefore EU preferred..

(About me: I use a Chapman often, a vaponic sometimes. only tried a melba as electric vape which I do not like at all - therefore I am looking to improve..)

2clicker, boon and Hjalmark like this.
  5. b0

b0 Cloudy...

PM sent :rockon:

boon and Hjalmark like this.
  6. ChaseG05

ChaseG05 New Member

Nice one!

Hjalmark likes this.
  7. stark1

stark1 Bridges, not walls

If you are the curator of parts @b0, I would like to buy a kit, please.

Hjalmark likes this.
  8. b0

b0 Cloudy...

I just have an all glass shit fucker with some spare parts that I don't use and wouldn't mind selling

2clicker and Hjalmark like this.
  9. KeroZen

natural farmer, Kob, AtomicPB and 4 others like this.
  10. Accept

Accept Well-Known Member

Cool thread - love the inception coils! Haven't read it all, but looked at all of the pics. :D

Thinking about a flower vape after finally growing some top-shelf flower. Needs a few months to cure, so plenty of time.

Looking for a non-conductive screen/tube to wrap a large coil around. Something like this:

[​IMG]

This tube is plastic, but you get the idea. Built DIY flower vapes in the past, and always annoyed by failure to vape evenly. Using something like this to hold the ground flower, with a heating coil wrapped around it, might solve this problem. Ideally, it could be attached to the RDA top cap or even drip tip for easy loading and then inserted into the coil. Any ideas where to find something like this?

Regarding inception coils (appears to be the most common heating element from the pics in this thread) you can probably wrap them much smaller, if desired.

This is Rip Tripper's method:

Click to play YouTube Video

Appropriate diameter tubes can be easily cut from a telescoping rod (antenna, roach clip, pointer, etc.) Also - you don't have to stop with two "levels" - this bad boy has four and might make an excellent, low-profile heater for this application (with the standard, bottom-heated design).

[​IMG]

Pipes, Joaon and Hippie like this.
  11. 2clicker

2clicker we out there Accessory Maker

just now starting in on this thread. looking forward to participating!

Pipes and KeroZen like this.
  12. Berimbolero

Berimbolero New Member

I'm interested in starting my own DIY and have started looking into mods available here at the local shop where I live in. They have the Evic VTC mini 60w, just want to confirm if 60w is okay? Because I know vapes like the Tubo Evic use the 75w mod. Thank you

13. KeroZen

Welcome!

60W is plenty, I vape around 20-30W in power mode and 30-40W in TC mode.

14. Berimbolero

Berimbolero New Member

Sorry but i'm still not familiar with the terms. What do you mean by power mode and TC mode? I'm guessing power mode is like unregulated Milaana mode and TC mode is set at chosen temp mode? Thanks for the response :)

15. KeroZen

Power mode, or alternatively "Watts mode" is often abbreviated VV or VW, and it's when you just set a fixed power output (in Watts) to your attachment. This gives you a a temperature rise at a constant rate (more or less it's not completely linear) but no, it's not like the Milaana which would be the equivalent of a "mechanical mod" (mech) it's instead closer to the Zion, for lack of a better comparison.

TC stands for temperature control, and has a variable power output (again in Watts) up to a maximum ceiling value that you chose. So in practices it only uses the maximum number of Watts that you allow when heating up, but as soon as it reaches temperature it throttles down. And as soon as you draw it throttles up again (up to max if needed but never more) to cope with the temperature drop.

16. Berimbolero

Berimbolero New Member

Thanks for filling me in! I'll be reading through the pages in this thread to have an idea on how I should start on my own DIY.

17. DriedGoodness

DriedGoodness New Member

This vape has really good features, good job! :)

Pipes likes this.
  18. ander

ander Well-Known Member

I had an attack of ERASER nostalgia some days ago, and purchased some SS316L 22Ga wire. Today I took it and made a very, very simple coil that seems to be "hot-spot proof"... will see. Anyway, the glowing birth of a brand new coil is always a great emotion...

[​IMG]

...and again.

:whoa:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  19. ander

ander Well-Known Member

The coil above (that works really well) is basically the same as the one for 510 VC heater. And maybe it is already the standard coil now? It looks very similar to the shitfucker one also... I've lost something lately... eh? Neurons apart.
    Anyway, I think it could be very useful to remind it for the beginners since it's very easy to do starting from the basic buttonhole: flatten the loop, place a tiny cilinder (an empty bic pen body?) on the nut and wrap pretty tight the wire on it. Release and adjust.

asdf420, Pipes and natural farmer like this.
  20. ander

ander Well-Known Member

Just got a BRRRR session with the corkeraser and the "empty" coil mentioned above...
    a quick one... while my vapcap was away...
    Eraser... my lover.
    :whoa:

PS: This was the last eh...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Pipes likes this.
  21. Accept

Accept Well-Known Member

Can't see your pic.

22. ander

ander Well-Known Member

Sorry. I know... got a problem with POSTIMAGE.ORG. They changed (temporarily..?) .ORG to .CC and all my pics disappeared. Who know if they will return..? :zombie:
    But you can see the links on the post 2 steps above, and so Pipe's images, and the design is the same.

asdf420 likes this.
  23. Accept

Accept Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks. The video posted above is a tutorial for making this type of coil for e-cigs. You can also dab directly onto the coil. There's a lot you can do with these - check out the one-hitter thread. It might even be possible to create one atomizer for either concentrate or flowers.

asdf420 and ander like this.
  24. KeroZen

There seems to be a drop in activity in this thread. Are you guys still using your Project? And if not, why not?

I'm still enjoying the Project Pure SF. It's my favorite portable based on a 14mm stem system (well technically the Nomad is also 14mm and I like it better, but it's not standard taper)

Yesterday I managed to shorten the female GonG (i.e. the Pure SF body) by about 4mm or about 0.16inch. As I mentioned previously there was some free space between the top of the stock coil and the GonG screen, and since the 14 stem male joint sits relatively higher (the female is probably ISO and I use US standard stems) there's still enough distance such that radiant heat poses no problem.

I used a dremel rotary tool and a diamond cutting wheel, but I didn't try cutting the glass. I ground it under a jet of water, wearing respiratory and eyes protection. Then I finished with a diamond file manually to even it out. Didn't need to flame polish it, result was nice already.

The vape is more efficient this way, as every millimeter counts with convection, and it's also more importantly shorter now. It's still tall but sitting inside the SmoAnt Knight v2 it's really okay but I think we could get something even shorter.

[​IMG]

I'm really liking it a lot. But I still prefer larger stem systems, something between 14mm and 18mm being my sweet spot. I would like to try making a 18mm version of the Project at some point though, just to see.

The only thing I don't like with this setup is that in order to extract evenly and without charring, I need to take slow and long draws that last over 10 seconds. Meaning I have to release and re-engage the trigger at least once per hit on this mod. It also prevents me from using this vape while walking as I don't have enough breath for sustaining such long draws while doing anything physical at the same time.

Apart from that, it's a much under-rated vape. Price is incredible, taste is as good as it can get. Glass purity, a tiny bit of stainless steel and that's all. I don't understand why it's not getting more traction...

Modnote: Edited per member request

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2018
    Xelatsok likes this.
  25. Abysmal Vapor

Abysmal Vapor Shaman of The Pyramid of Orlin'Malah

@KeroZen The only thing that keeps me from trying this concept is the teflon ring.I have to figure a way around it and then i might give it a go:).

KeroZen likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors