1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The "Project" DIY Herbal Vaporizer

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Pipes, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Pavelhonner

Pavelhonner Member

Do these enable the fine tuning with PID like myevic etc.? Can't find any related posts in this thread.

KeroZen and Hjalmark like this.
  2. luke00978

luke00978 Well-Known Member

just upgraded the rx200s to arcticfox, massive improvement over stock tcr, shame there’s no cruise

KeroZen and grokit like this.
  3. Pavelhonner

Pavelhonner Member

AF is big improvement but still getting +/-30°C jumps when protection appears - it usually happens twice per 15s puff limit.

KeroZen likes this.
  4. luke00978

is it effecting your draw much? can you not adjust the heating curve a bit?

5. Pavelhonner

Pavelhonner Member

Just measurements info. It is silly but can't test it now since my SF is broken and waiting for glass spares from local supplier.

6. luke00978

yeh im half way through making a stainless wood sleeved heater its just too fragile as is , for outdoor use anyway

KeroZen and Pavelhonner like this.
  7. b0

b0 Cloudy...

So, now that I'm happy with how AF is performing I will like to build a new coil for my SF. The old one has been glowing red too many times and will like to start over with a new one.

I've never build a coil in my life and if I remember right my coil is the old ones and now @Pipes is making them a bit different. Already contacted him for some help, but will love to hear from you guys and your experience.

Any photo/video tutorial will help amazingly!!

Hjalmark likes this.
  8. luke00978

[​IMG]

gen 1 with 14mm female wooden joint

GreenHopper, KeroZen, grokit and 4 others like this.
  9. jimt0r

jimt0r Active Member

I have all my bits together, new insulators and all. I will be starting after I get my hands on a completed induction heater, I need some input weather updating/overwriting the stock OS on a Wismec RX300 would be feasible otherwise i will be waiting on yet another mod and batteries

10. E0x

E0x Well-Known Member

Question for ppl that have the eraser and glass version , don't you find the glass version very restricted ? because in my case i find it to the point i don't want use it anymore , maybe i miss some technique or indeed the restricted air flow level of this version ?

thanks

KeroZen likes this.
  11. KeroZen

KeroZen Chronic vapaholic

Yes the DNA boards offer a lot of tuning parameters but they don't expose PID coefficients (they are nonetheless said to work superbly) Check the Escribe user manual here for more details >> https://downloads.evolvapor.com/escribe/EScribeManual.pdf

For the HohmTech stuff I was almost tempted to buy one to see but it's a small investment and I prefer SBS designs so much now that I'm used to them... so I don't know the answer.

That's quite a lot! Are you seeing this in the device monitor app? I had some weirdness with my evic VTC mini but not that much.

Are you using myevic or ArticFox? Did you enable PID for the former and PI for the latter? In myevic you don't get the "protection" message anymore when PID is enabled normally.

Hey mate, sure it's not your screen? With 14mm I need to torch it clean several times per week otherwise it clogs so much it's not enjoyable.

But being a smaller diameter it's bound to be more restricted than the OG or Eraser that's for sure.

12. luke00978

arcic fox was just released for the Ikonn220 (the mod that wouldn’t project) now all is good with it stock firmware was just too shit, nice little mod now!

grokit and KeroZen like this.
  13. Pavelhonner

Pavelhonner Member

Been very busy lately. Thanks for your responses. These temperature jumps were in AF using NFE Monitor. I was unable to set myevic correctly (I did not know about Modes), but now it seems I am on the right way.

Playing with PID and TCR values. I get little bit confused here. When I set the TCR around 150 the coil don't glow (I try to avoid it) around 200°C but vapor is weak but when I set it higher, +-180TCR at the same temperature (how could it be the same temperature whether glowing or not??) it starts to glow a lot and vapor is very good but I am afraid it could be dangerous. Do your coil usually glow?

Here is my current setup. Calling it Pure (~there are no silicone o-rings etc. just cork and peek insulator) Pleasure (~not getting bored with those silly screens anymore).
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/5FRTrS2d0ZvZhE912

How do you guys cut and drill glass stems? Got some equipment but ended in literary in bloody tears... Eyes full of glass dust

grokit and Hjalmark like this.
  14. virtualpurple

virtualpurple Well-Known Member

From my understanding glowing should be avoided.

As far as cutting and drilling glass stems, many people use special bits or cutting discs and use water to help prevent dust in the air and to keep the glass cool during cutting and drilling.

DEFINITELY don't do that stuff without eye protection and a mask that can keep the dust out. You don't want to mess with glass particulate in your eyes or respiratory tract.

Hippie Dickie, KeroZen and Hjalmark like this.
  15. grokit

grokit well-worn member

I need to make my shitfucker glow at least intermittently to get vapor, still getting the hang of it with my 70w pico. It's set up stock atm, but I'm thinking this will be my first foray into custom firmware.

So much to learn still, and I'm in the beginning of a big inefficient moving project so it's going slow :\

:sherlock:

KeroZen likes this.
  16. Pavelhonner

Pavelhonner Member

Could You explain a bit why it should be avoided?

A and does anybody know how is it possible to achieve same temperature (according to mod's display) as with or without glowing? By simple logic, when the coil is glowing it should be always hotter than without glow...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  17. b0

b0 Cloudy...

Mine glows aswell

E0x likes this.
  18. virtualpurple

virtualpurple Well-Known Member

I'm not the right guy for that job, I just seem to recall that coming up a few times. Perhaps @KeroZen or @Shit Snacks have some input on the matter.

Shit Snacks likes this.
  19. Shit Snacks

Shit Snacks Milaana. Lana. LANA. LAANAAAAAA

Nor am I, but I do appreciate the thought!

virtualpurple likes this.
  20. Pavelhonner

Pavelhonner Member

Does anyone know how safe are FPM o rings (also known as fkm, viton..)? I read they stand much higher temperatures then the red silicone ones... But do they offgas anything at 100-200°C or so?

Hjalmark likes this.
  21. emmdeemo

emmdeemo Never ever, bloody anything, ever.

No glowing needed here to get vapour, tho I stayed on the eraser and passed my SF onto @phattpiggie .

In other news, I bought some evo screens (the long tube screens with the basket screen caps). With a little modification, as in taking the basket rings off and cutting to size, they fit wonderfully in the Erasers SS bowl.

22. natural farmer

natural farmer Well-Known Member

I suppose those who need a glowing coil just draw harder than the rest?

23. emmdeemo

emmdeemo Never ever, bloody anything, ever.

Thats very possibly all its down too.

24. KeroZen

KeroZen Chronic vapaholic

Bah I still find it strange personally. With PID regulation, if you draw harder you should just raise the max power to get more Watts at your disposal when you draw. But when set to temperature the coil should be at the same temperature than mine... and not glowing.

But maybe I also vape at a lower temperature? I don't get my ABV very dark with convection vapes, but I extract way slower than you guys so it ends depleted but still brown, not chocolate or darker.

25. ander

ander Cannabista

Coil untouched & unmodified since 03/2017. Glows at 240°C. I have to draw pretty hard to avoid central dark spot. AVB: dark yellow, strong and re-vapable in conduction. ;)

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors