The "Project" DIY Herbal Vaporizer

Bongologist

JoJo Woodworks
Accessory Maker
Finally back home and getting to use this thing. Running it on an evic mini, my settings are TSR-146, 48watts, coil locked at .60, and temps between 500f to 530f. I am noticing s slight hot spot, but no charring. It took me awhile to get it dialed in but I've found a good spot that will not let it burn no matter how hard I try, which is exactly how my Bulli is working. I am not getting the thick clouds like my current bulli setup, but it's pretty damn good so far and expect better with some more slight tinkering. I have tried it with the black tipped Air stem, a enano gong, but have had the best luck with a pvhes turbo gong for the Solo. I think the turbo air slots are helping to agitate the air around the load as I'm not having to stir it up. It seems the added airflow is giving me the most consistent roast, almost matching my bulli. It has made me wonder about staggering the air holes in the body of the Project or even having one in the bowl area. If anyone else has a turbo stem, give it a shot and let us know your results. @Pipes great job my friend. Everything is easily adjustable, fits both air/solo and enano stems, and works pretty damn well! My bulli has been my daily driver for a few months now and getting this dialed in will only make both better. Really appreciate the work you have put in!

bagelbanger

Finally back home and getting to use this thing. Running it on an evic mini, my settings are TSR-146, 48watts, coil locked at .60, and temps between 500f to 530f. I am noticing s slight hot spot, but no charring. It took me awhile to get it dialed in but I've found a good spot that will not let it burn no matter how hard I try, which is exactly how my Bulli is working. I am not getting the thick clouds like my current bulli setup, but it's pretty damn good so far and expect better with some more slight tinkering. I have tried it with the black tipped Air stem, a enano dong, but have had the best luck with a pvhes turbo gong for the Solo. I think the turbo air slots are helping to agitate the air around the load as I'm not having to stir it up. It seems the added airflow is giving me the most consistent roast, almost matching my bulli. It has made me wonder about staggering the air holes in the body of the Project or even having one in the bowl area. If anyone else has a turbo stem, give it a shot and let us know your results. @Pipes great job my friend. Everything is easily adjustable, fits both air/solo and enano stems, and works pretty damn well! My bulli has been my daily driver for a few months now and getting this dialed in will only make both better. Really appreciate the work you have put in!

Really having a shitload of fun with this 'project'. Haven't touched the log, hammer, lotus, air since I've got it. It really does a lot of things really well. Tried a shorty eds stem and digging it for stealth and like its bigger bowl size. Get a little dark spot in the middle of the load but a quick stir fixes that. Also tried a hammer gong which fits very nice and compact and looks really good on top of the evic! Really sits well on a bubbler or small water tool. I used to use my glass much more but been in the go quite a bit lately so it's all about the quick puffs.
I tried a pvhes stem for a bit and really liked it. Noticed that stem never gets as hot as the others because it's glass instead of metal tipped. Gives a good tasty extraction. Again, I'd use it more but it doesn't lend itself to travel so I bust it out only when I'm in the vapeLab.

Keep up the good work everyone and thank you again @Pipes!

I'm jealous of everyone else being able to use their air/solo stuff, I may sand my opening a little more. My solo stems simply dont fit! Sorry if my initial report discouraged anyone from trying on their own units.

My favorite stem is the kayfun 2.1 body now. Being able to adjust the bowls depth has been imperative to my loads evenness while vaping, as has spinning it. I keep the load 3/16"-1/4" off the bottom screen! TCR 130, 45w running at 560 now. Vaping .05 loads in 3-4 hits consistently. Since adding the new stem and heatsink the whole unit looks far more e-cig like, so much so that I've been bringing it to work :smug:.

This has easily usurped the throne of my other electric portables.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Finally back home and getting to use this thing. Running it on an evic mini, my settings are TSR-146, 48watts, coil locked at .60, and temps between 500f to 530f. I am noticing s slight hot spot, but no charring. It took me awhile to get it dialed in but I've found a good spot that will not let it burn no matter how hard I try, which is exactly how my Bulli is working. I am not getting the thick clouds like my current bulli setup, but it's pretty damn good so far and expect better with some more slight tinkering. I have tried it with the black tipped Air stem, a enano gong, but have had the best luck with a pvhes turbo gong for the Solo. I think the turbo air slots are helping to agitate the air around the load as I'm not having to stir it up. It seems the added airflow is giving me the most consistent roast, almost matching my bulli. It has made me wonder about staggering the air holes in the body of the Project or even having one in the bowl area. If anyone else has a turbo stem, give it a shot and let us know your results. @Pipes great job my friend. Everything is easily adjustable, fits both air/solo and enano stems, and works pretty damn well! My bulli has been my daily driver for a few months now and getting this dialed in will only make both better. Really appreciate the work you have put in!
Your putting a lot of energy into a Hair Dryer?

When CANNABIS is legal vaporizers will be under a $100!
Accessories?

Last edited:

Bongologist

JoJo Woodworks
Accessory Maker
Your putting a lot of energy into a Hair Dryer?

When CANNABIS is legal vaporizers will be under a $100!
Accessories?

I think that's a good analogy, yes! After using this and the Bulli for a few months I'm sold. My bulli is the most efficient, best functioning vaporizer I have, or at least equal to the nano. I can pull very big clouds with the UFO and never scorch, (unless I choose to by increasing temp). Taste is excellent and it's truly on demand. Battery life is very good, and every stem from Epic and the air/solo have worked. It takes some time to tinker with settings and getting it just right, but once you find it, they work fantastically!

I hope you are doing well my friend, our paths haven't crossed lately.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I think that's a good analogy, yes! After using this and the Bulli for a few months I'm sold. My bulli is the most efficient, best functioning vaporizer I have, or at least equal to the nano. I can pull very big clouds with the UFO and never scorch, (unless I choose to by increasing temp). Taste is excellent and it's truly on demand. Battery life is very good, and every stem from Epic and the air/solo have worked. It takes some time to tinker with settings and getting it just right, but once you find it, they work fantastically!

I hope you are doing well my friend, our paths haven't crossed lately.
Sorry I was a bit medicated to the MAX!
GSC THIN MINT very damaging!

So you pulled a BEN FRANKLIN and invented a vaporizer.
Nice Job really.

Sorry for my behavior!

Size?
Heater?
Flavor?
Effect?
Ease of mass production?
Material?
Affordable?

ataxian,

Bongologist

JoJo Woodworks
Accessory Maker
Oh, this is all Pipes. He's the man.
It's the same height as the nano with a stem.
The heater is stainless steel wire, so super affordable, as are all the parts. Making one or ten is very similar in cost (not counting the battery portion). I am sure these could be mass produced at around $5-15 each, and pipes has been saying as much on the bulli thread for quite awhile. Even just buying one from pipes and getting a battery box and two batteries is only $100.

Flavor, effect, and efficiency have impressed the hell out of me. My nano is still plugged in and ready to be used, and it still is, but the instant on capability and changing temps immediately, make this a winner for me. I don't particularly care about the actual temps, but being able to start really low for great taste then step up 20 to 30 degrees, accurately with no waiting, to finish a bowl, is really nice. As I've said before, it takes some dialing in, but it's more the variables on the ecig battery units then technique or the heater technology. Open source firmware for the VTC-Mini that we could setup just for our use would help immensely. Temp control battery mods have many options, which are nice for getting it setup, but could be overly confusing to an average user. The tech is ripe for mass production though.

Thin mint.
I can't wait for legalization everywhere.

u bwade wunner

Im pumped with my pipes mod after getting it on Wednesday. So I looked up the thread and landed on nondarbs photo. have followed Tnose settings with good results.thanks mate.

I notice when I hit the button the temp decreases on the display and the protection screen flashes on after a few seconds.I haven't pushed the coil yet.Im taking tentative smaller hits and pulsing also to keep heat levels stable.
I had a short also where I pushed the mouthpiece in a little too hard and the screen pushed down and shorted on the heater coil.no damage thankfully.
Getting good cloud age and decent flavour.I am enjoying and respecting my first foray into ecig herb tech.

I think I will order the Kayfun also.it will open up options for adapters

I had an idea of using wavy acrylic pen blanks for covering the oven SS tube.heat may degrade it though.for the time being I need much more practice with the stock mod and work out the best configuration and play for a while.Thanks Guys for all your input some of it right now is way above my head.

2lax18m.jpg

Last edited:
I notice when I hit the button the temp decreases on the display and the protection screen flashes on after a few seconds.I haven't pushed the coil yet.Im taking tentative smaller hits and pulsing also to keep heat levels stable.
I had a short also where I pushed the mouthpiece in a little too hard and the screen pushed down and shorted on the heater coil.no damage thankfully.
Getting good cloud age and decent flavour.I am enjoying and respecting my first foray into ecig herb tech.

I think I will order the Kayfun also.it will open up options for adapters

Glad the settings are working for you, don't be afrad to experiment. I'm running at 50w and 125 TCR now. At 560 and I'm able to take .02 in one hit, no stirring necessary for small loads.

I want someone with a GH to come aboard and see how they compare. The highest end electric convection unit I've had the chance to use is the FF1 and the project simply crushes it. From a cold start my current setup takes just over 2 secs to get to temp and making considerable vapor. I'm interested to see how the milaana stacks up once I finally get one in hand.

I'm sure the GH and Mi might edge it out a bit, but I genuinely can't imagine by much. Near instant vapor with heat we are having to tame, battery life on a dual battery mod is around 13 stems (before it hits 1/4 and I charge). There's a lot of promise to these little guys, closest experience to an electric torch vape I've experienced yet.

Last edited:

Tristin708

Has anyone thought about adapting a nail system like the vapexhale uses in its plug in device? And would it be worth it to build a system for concentrates with the project vs using a simple concentrate atomizer?

Tristin708,

dilvish

in hypno-vision
@ataxian this thing works beautifully with your favorite wpa! i just finished my second bowl in a row with the lotus wpa, and it's ideal for plugging the project into a water piece.

Has anyone thought about adapting a nail system like the vapexhale uses in its plug in device? And would it be worth it to build a system for concentrates with the project vs using a simple concentrate atomizer?

i don't know anything about the vxh nail, but you could very easily wrap up a dab in cotton and vape it up in the project as is. or else, you could build your own coil for oil in pretty much any atomizer. it's pretty easy stuff if you are familiar with building coils.

i have the project dialed in a bit better now, and man, i love this thing! it's been kicking my ass all day! awesome through water too.

Slow Draw McGraw

Company Rep
Guy I got my mod box
I will admit, I don't know what the hell I'm doing?

I'm so confused?
I changed TCR and then what?

Edit: ok I followed the directions but I charred the s##t out of my load @510

I got it a little. There is no way I could gonto 500 degrees it will burn it.

I'm at 390

Edit again ok I'm at 390-400 and it performing better than my ESV already. Lol

Definitely gets me medicated. My sister has guests over and I walked out to use the restroom in my boxers. Whoops! I forgot. Lolz

So depending on the load size, I can avoid hot spots that lead to scorch. Less is more!

As it stands my setting are:
TCR 145
45W
52 ohms
390-400F pretty nice clouds. :D

This thing is pretty neat. I might keep editing my post until I can't anymore.

Last edited:

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Glad your getting it working, one way or another. Something is amiss though but I'm sure you'll get a grasp of the use of a mod.
What ohms is it showing? Should be .5 + ohms. Programmed M1, TCR of 145 and also selected in M1 mode within operation setup menu. Ohms should be locked as well at the room temperature coil.
If all is correct and no visible extreme overheat of lower sections of coil, which would indicate a short, lower your TCR to 130 and try again.
Also, go here and download version 3.01 for your mini. Just pick MAC or WIN and download the zip file. Unzip it into a directory and run the application. Plug in your mini and follow the instructions.
Have fun!

Last edited:
Pipes,

Slow Draw McGraw

Company Rep
Ohms reading is .52

Fired the coil up a couple of times and no crazy red glow. No burning. On my first run there was a bright red glow. Took itnoff ye box and set it on tile to cool down. Took the battery out and started over. I had the wattage at 75. And temp at around 510. I could tell I was gonna combust if I kept drawing. So I tweaked and now its working well. No combustion or charring. Few warm spots but I own the ESV and FF and they never Cook evenly which is why they require stirring. Couple diff factors at play. Load size, dryess, draw speed. Ect.

Last edited:
Slow Draw McGraw,
Reactions: Pipes

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
I think I got it figured out. IIRC, I think others have reported lowering the TCR number.
And I'm betting on the firmware.
So the way I see it is you have two options.

1/Lower your TCR number to say 130 and see what the ideal feel right vaping temp is. The goal is around the 500F + mark.

2/Update the firmware which IMO, should get things aligned with what I'm experiencing.

The reason we want to use a higher working temperature is for more safety thing. Ideally, the MAX possible dial up temperature of 600F should give the coil a faint visible pulsing glow while eyeballing it. Reason being that it is very easy to accidentally dial up the temperature, or be like me and get 390 and 590 mixed up...lol.
If fact that's a good test to ensure oneself all is working good. Once you feel 500 + F is working good, pull the stem and dial up to 600F and look down the tube. Give you a good feel for whats happening even at the lower temps. Don't play too long though as you can overheat the insulator on the post. Will happen if trying to use as a flashlight. :uhoh:

Slow Draw McGraw

Company Rep
I think I got it figured out. IIRC, I think others have reported lowering the TCR number.
And I'm betting on the firmware.
So the way I see it is you have two options.

1/Lower your TCR number to say 130 and see what the ideal feel right vaping temp is. The goal is around the 500F + mark.

2/Update the firmware which IMO, should get things aligned with what I'm experiencing.

The reason we want to use a higher working temperature is for more safety thing. Ideally, the MAX possible dial up temperature of 600F should give the coil a faint visible pulsing glow while eyeballing it. Reason being that it is very easy to accidentally dial up the temperature, or be like me and get 390 and 590 mixed up...lol.
If fact that's a good test to ensure oneself all is working good. Once you feel 500 + F is working good, pull the stem and dial up to 600F and look down the tube. Give you a good feel for whats happening even at the lower temps. Don't play too long though as you can overheat the insulator on the post. Will happen if trying to use as a flashlight. :uhoh:
My computer is having trouble with the firmware.

I dropped TCR down to about 118 and it seems about right. Tcr130 was still too hight at 500

Edit. Well TCR 118 burned my load too @510

Edit: ok did the update. Put it at 500 and burned my load again?:hmm:

@Pipes Can you tell me why again i couldn't use it the way I was before?

Edit dropped down to 460 and still burned my load? Not sure what to do now?

Dropped down to 390 and scorched? Does the wattage matter? How do I know the firmware updated

How long should I be firing the button?

Last edited:
Slow Draw McGraw,
Reactions: WakeAndVape

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
My computer is having trouble with the firmware.

I dropped TCR down to about 118 and it seems about right. Tcr130 was still too hight at 500

Edit. Well TCR 118 burned my load too @510

Edit: ok did the update. Put it at 500 and burned my load again?:hmm:

@Pipes Can you tell me why again i couldn't use it the way I was before?

Edit dropped down to 460 and still burned my load? Not sure what to do now?

Dropped down to 390 and scorched? Does the wattage matter? How do I know the firmware updated

How long should I be firing the button?
Are you locking resistance when the coil is at room temperature?

Slow Draw McGraw

Company Rep
Are you locking resistance when the coil is at room temperature?
Yes. It wants to stay at .49 and now it's not scorching at 500f I tried rescrewing it on and it said .52 when I went to lock it it changed back to .49

Edit: Finally messed around and got it at .50 locked. Running at 500-530 ish.

Last edited:
Slow Draw McGraw,
Reactions: Pipes

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Good to know for sure.
Sounds like what I experienced with the last EVic mini I received. Ordered the 60W version intending to upgrade but came with 3.0 already. However, my attempt with using SS316 mode was way too hot. Never tried the TCR settings but now think I would have found what you experienced.
What's odd is that I was using V3.0 before and seemed OK, but that 3.0 was from the website and not pre-loaded.
Thinking that there might just be a bad or corrupted file someone is using to update previous outdated units in a warehouse...? Just speculating on that.
Anyway. enjoy it now that it's all set up and rockin!

Slow Draw McGraw

Company Rep
Good to know for sure.
Sounds like what I experienced with the last EVic mini I received. Ordered the 60W version intending to upgrade but came with 3.0 already. However, my attempt with using SS316 mode was way too hot. Never tried the TCR settings but now think I would have found what you experienced.
What's odd is that I was using V3.0 before and seemed OK, but that 3.0 was from the website and not pre-loaded.
Thinking that there might just be a bad or corrupted file someone is using to update previous outdated units in a warehouse...? Just speculating on that.
Anyway. enjoy it now that it's all set up and rockin!
Does the wattage matter?

What is everyone's draw speed?

Last edited:
Slow Draw McGraw,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
I leave mine at 75W without problems.
Draw speed depends on how much vapor you can handle. LOL
That's the fun part.

Top Bottom