The "Project" DIY Herbal Vaporizer

ander

:freak:

IMG_3428cork1.jpg

Born from 2 massive corks of Maximilian I sparkling wine... it's a bit bulky maybe, but can be easily modeled with a sharped blade and as @natural farmer suggested, easily painted since the exterior of the sleeve remains cold (nontoxic acrylic paint? Should work very well).

IMG_3435cork2.jpg

When I thought about the adjusting ring was for the purpose of reducing airflow, but I didn't had any better result in extraction and got, instead, more burning spots... I think it makes sense: if less air is passing, the coil releases less heat... it's pretty near to the bowl and so it burns..? Anyway I've ended to let the holes on the SS sleeve mostly open; 2 completely, 1 on a half. Regulation is not precise since the holes are unaligned and my ring is not wide enough to intercept exactly them all (in any case not a great invention maybe since Pipes know well what is doing). But I'm happy with the current configuration.

IMG_3419_C1.jpg

The Solo stem is working like a bong in terms of breath needs! But works very well and I'm curious to try the shorter Air one. Very easy to put on and remove for rapid checks, it seems that the "loose factor" is not that serious... the stem, the SS bowl and the SS sleeve form a pretty tight and regular path.
To help I've cutted the screen that goes over the coil and now sits perfect on the sleeve border.
IMG_3432screen.jpg

IMG_3437set.jpg

Yes, portable. But I'm not going far...

A note on Mod settings: I've abandoned the "temperature progressive session"... I'm locked on a coil temperature of 210°C-410°F (all settings on first pic). This gives me instant results and no burns. Less is not enough, more is too much.
Session results:
IMG_3419_C2.jpg

.1 I guess...

After 6 tasty, cloudy hits and a bowl remix after the 4th shot
IMG_3419_C3.jpg

IMG_3426_AVB.jpg

GOLDEN ABV!

:peace:

Ha!
Cork update...
PROS: Washable in soap and hot water (loses most of his bad smell)

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
so, I massaged my coil a little...now getting way more even results without any hot-spots. it may have been fine when @Pipes shipped it initially to me, but i accidentally man-handled it a few times and was uneven for a while. I think I've got the coil so it cooks near totally even though, vast improvement....

The e-nano has been my gold-standard, for a while. But The Project, especially using the same glassware, gives very similar results. With the advantage of being portable. Not the same vape signature, but very similar functionality.

I was liking the low weight of the vtwo mini, but the battery life just doesn't stack up, for me. So, I'm back on the cuboid (And the vtwo mini, will be for e-cig dabs).

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
so, I massaged my coil a little...now getting way more even results without any hot-spots. it may have been fine when @Pipes shipped it initially to me, but i accidentally man-handled it a few times and was uneven for a while. I think I've got the coil so it cooks near totally even though, vast improvement....

Yup, a little jiggly coil massage resolved my hot spots issues too. My coil looks like a complete disaster but now gives me great, even results :)

@ander , I found pushing the screen a little further into the bowl and leaving a little gap (3mm or so) between the load and the lip of the bowl gives me more even results, less chance of combustion, I guess it gives the hot air time to cool a tiny, tiny bit and possibly allow for more turbulence and less heat concentration, and more room for playing with temps. YMMV tho, obviously.

PBY8hZD.jpg

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Harrumph, just started getting a 'no atomiser found' out the blue, havent moved the eraser at all.

Checked and rechecked everything. Cleaned all parts of the atomizer, rebuilt, still no atomizer found. Cleaned everything again, replaced all parts with the fresh spares. Tried attaching a new wire in case that was the problem. Nothing.

I'll check later with a friends Eraser to see if its my parts/cuboid/or what.

Odd and annoying.

EDIT: Now its saying 'atomizer low' when the Eraser isnt even attached. Cuboid on its way out maybe? And back to no atomizer. Tried everything I can find reference to. Bizarre.

Last edited:
EmDeemo,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Look down the 510 connector on the Cuboid. Sounds like trouble with the spring loaded center pin. Never turn this pin, the slot groove is for air intake on some atomizers. You can poke it to make sure the spring action is still there. I have a feeling you're going to find it all wacky somehow. If not, the problem likely lies on the other side of the connector in the Cuboid. Either have to disassemble to try and fix or return to seller.
Good luck.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Look down the 510 connector on the Cuboid. Sounds like trouble with the spring loaded center pin. Never turn this pin, the slot groove is for air intake on some atomizers. You can poke it to make sure the spring action is still there. I have a feeling you're going to find it all wacky somehow. If not, the problem likely lies on the other side of the connector in the Cuboid. Either have to disassemble to try and fix or return to seller.
Good luck.

I think you're spot on. Gonna try a few solutions :)

EmDeemo,

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Borrowed a mates rx75, so Im back in the game! :)

Was definitely the cuboid.

Now insert the end of the loop into to cap and wind it up keeping the wires parallel and not crossing. Don't worry too much about spacing at this point as you will touch up later. When you get close to the end, just put the cap over the bolt and twist up the slack on the bottom connections.

Hey, @Pipes , if ever you're in the mood to explain this a bit clearer for a dummy like me, maybe with more in between pics of it going round the pen cap etc., that would really help me out. Im currently hating making a new coil due to my lack of visual imagination regarding going from that huge loop to a quality twisty coil :)

No worries if not, considering the coil I've just made works absolutely fine, just looks like a horrible twisted mess :)

EDIT: I just looked up the dimensions of the herbalaire crucibles I posted a few pages back. They would appear to be exactly the right diameter? -

"Crucible:
The Crucible is a metal container about the size of a thimble, with a screen on the bottom. Herbs are put inside the Crucible and then the Crucible is set into the hole on top of the hot air generator. Be careful, the Crucible gets hot! Wait for it to cool down after vaporizing before lifting it out.

Dimensions: The inside of the Crucible is 0.875" tall and 0.5625" in diameter."

Pretty thin looking metal tho.

Last edited:

ander

Well... I have succesfully made my own coil today... less difficult than it seems!

Now I have a problem... after some putting on and off, the atomizer doesn't screw on the Reuleaux anymore... doesn't matter how much I push... It doesn't take the right spin anymore, and doesn't lock. The spring connector is ok... Something worn out maybe..? :\ Trying to shoot some pics...

my new, untestable shiny coil... :(
newcoil.jpg

Shitty pics... no light, poor camera. But to me it seems that the Reuleaux has badly carved the adapter screw...

IMG_3450w3.jpg

If that's the case, this will suit, right..?

Last edited:

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Bummer.
Yes, your link is the correct piece. Not the cheapest place but if delivery speed is important.
My concern is the condition of the Mods threat as well. Hopefully, won't just cause the same frustration again with new ego adapter.
Might be worth it to get a 510 heat sink to take the Mods threading and leave attached..? It might even accept the worn threads as is.
BTW, nice coil building. :tup:

ander

Bummer.
Yes, your link is the correct piece. Not the cheapest place but if delivery speed is important.
My concern is the condition of the Mods threat as well. Hopefully, won't just cause the same frustration again with new ego adapter.
Might be worth it to get a 510 heat sink to take the Mods threading and leave attached..? It might even accept the worn threads as is.
BTW, nice coil building. :tup:
Sure delivery speed is important... I want my Eraser back on duty... NOW! :argh:
I must say that my Reuleaux never married perfectly the eraser in terms of connection... so let's hope the mod is ok (it seems to be) and yes, I will surely take one of those 510 heat sink for insurance :tup:. And since I'm there... some wire. Can you help me in the choose? Thanks!

(...Cork update... Dive your favorite cork in a cup with boiled water & vinegar, use a smaller cup or whatever to keep it down. Let it there for 1h. After drying, the cork will be clean, less smelly and will get back to his non-compressed diameter and shape...)

Last edited:

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Well... I have succesfully made my own coil today... less difficult than it seems!

Now I have a problem... after some putting on and off, the atomizer doesn't screw on the Reuleaux anymore... doesn't matter how much I push... It doesn't take the right spin anymore, and doesn't lock. The spring connector is ok... Something worn out maybe..? :\ Trying to shoot some pics...

my new, untestable shiny coil... :(
newcoil.jpg

This might have shown me where i was going wrong. Nice coil ;)

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Of course it is....:doh:

I can't see the wire you want there. The closest is this one, but is SS304 and diameter is .4mm which is like a 26 AWG. Twisting 2 or 3 wires together would likely do but never played that route. Not a huge difference between 316 and 304 for our application. Again, never tried. But in a pinch, can't see a big problem.

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
*********SHITFUCKER UPDATE****************

The stems have landed and finally, we have some Shit Fucker movement. Feels good,...:brow:

Already have a couple orders shipped and will be getting in touch with those on my list as I make my way through it.

bagelbanger

SHITFUCKER, oh HELL YEAH!!

Looks FUCKING GORGEOUS!!!!

Someone asked about a daily driver, ohhhhhh.... my eraser has become the ultimate daily driver. Drives with me everyday. Easy to load, easy to use, easy to maintain, easy to charge, just freaking WORKS!!! I use a shorty eds TNT stem and it's perfect. I just finally replaced the screen I've been using since last April, usually just pull it out and torch it but got a used cuboid for cheap to step up from my evic and figured its SCREEN DAY!
Did the update via joyetech to bring it up to 200w but have not dappled in myevic firmware. One of these days right after I build a coil.

Just a quick question, what's the ideal settings for the cuboid these days. I don't have mine next to me right now but I think I used tcr145 and temp of 430-460. Are these the best to use with the eraser on a cuboid??

Thanks again everyone and keep up the good work @Pipes !!

Bb.

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
If those are the numbers you used with the Mini, should be good with the Cuboid. Temperature numbers seem a little low, but you'll figure that out quick enough. Likely more like 530 - 560F. Or somewhere inbetween.

Pipes,

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Man, I am dreadful at making coils :)

Finally figured out what I did wrong, it looks less like a demented spider's web now.

Cant say I'm enjoying using my friends Wismec rx75 much. The one battery life, compared to the 2 I had in the cuboid, is a serious climb down. Wattage being limited is annoying. Not being able to see the screen very easily when using it. Blah blah. Battery changing is no fun for me with the way this mod holds them, way too many ways to scratch the battery plastic.

Waiting on a replacement 2 battery mod, they cant arrive soon enough :D

@Pipes How much fuck can the shitfucker shit if the shitfucker cant fuck shit? (looking great, very excited! :) )

EDIT: Meant to say, I took the watts down to 40 on the rx75, as even with vtc4's, at 45 watts it was still giving a weak battery message.

Last edited:

ander

Oh shit... finally erased again. :whoa: Daily driver? Ha! There's nothing like 2 days without the Eraser to understand it... missed it so much.
Got my new "smok" 510-eGo connector today and after some small adaptations and the usual hassle to fix the spiral in place... Eraser is back on duty. But since this one flows on the Reuleaux thread like a glove, I have to say that all my connection problems were related to my old 510-eGo adapter. Fortunately the thread on the Box is made of steel and so the brass adaptor had the worst... but since I always had to push pretty strong to fix the coil on the Box, the steel head of the screw was carving the spring loaded pin... but with no harm it seems. Glad that nobody else got my problem, seems that I had an unlucky piece.
New Cork Sleeve coming soon... in one piece. :freak:

ander

Well... now that I have finally stabilized my coil, my learning curve is collapsed near 0 again... don't know exactly where this road will bring me... for the moment to a lesser vapor production (and zero hot spots: if I burn, I burn everything!) and to some (maybe weird) questions as well:
Due to the proximity of the heating element... can we say that the Eraser is more a convection+contactless conduction vape instead of a 100% convection..?:hmm:
It's pure convection really the most efficient way or a bit of conduction is auspicable for a "better" extraction?:\
With this, I'm not saying it doesn't work now... because it works :ko:! But maybe were the (very high) peaks of temperature that were doing a good part of the vaporizing job before PID stabilization...
Many ideas in my misty mind (anyone tried with turning upside down the herb chamber using 2 bowl shaped screens? The chamber remains far from the spiral, the heat hits the screen first, and the herb is prevented to flow up through the stem by the other screen)
...but first, since I'm ignorant on the subject, I'm going to learn how a "pure convection extractor" works...

But aside all this mess, extraction is the point. And the right stem and the correct pulling technique is one of the keys...
Before setting the P.I.D.: Fast long draws, or high risk of burning spots.
Now with a stable coil: SLOW long draws, no burns, and cloudy again!

Shit I need holidays...

Last edited:

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
So I got an RX 2/3 through the door this morning, setting it up and getting it up and running for another forum member. Testing is going well :) I love its shape, and its a damn joy to be back on two batteries and at 80 watts with instant results. Its much lighter than the Cuboid. Even with three batteries, it doesnt feel too heavy to me.

Interestingly, with rx75 I'd borrowed from a friend, my newly made coil was sitting at around 0.750/0.8 or so. I tried all the steps but just couldnt get the ohms down. I found a working method just about with it but wasnt really satisfied (then some new @phattpiggie stems popped through the door that needed 'testing' and I got distracted by them. Shiny! :) ). On the rx2/3 tho, the ohms are instantly being read at 0.636...

Top Bottom