The "Project" DIY Herbal Vaporizer

E0x

i saw that when the coil run too hot it get damage to the point that don't work anymore , even getting to the point that look is rust , happen to me a few times , i suggest change the coil and like @Pipes say check the insulators

E0x

talking about coils , that new method of build the coil look interesting and easy ! , i was thinking if somebody can try it using flat wire , i could try myself but not money right now to buy more wire sorry guys.

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
OK, so The Project came in the mail today, Cuboid came a couple days ago and I got that updated to the custom firmware. dialed in TCR of 145 and set temp to low 500s to start...

got minimal vapor at first, so upped the temp, as high as 580 eventually. That and moving the adjustable e-nano screen higher got me better vapor.

Even with the moderate vapor, I got the material fairly dark, eventually, and got fairly medicated.

Are there any other settings I should change besides just the TCR and temperature? I see it still lists power as being 20 watts, is that supposed to be higher? trying to figure out if it can be adjusted.

Or, do we want to do anything under pre-heat or any of the other more esoteric functions?

Edit: it was just a new strain I haven't tried before, so that might have a lot to do with the weaker vapor production, but i do want to make sure i am not missing any settings, i thought i remembered something about power...re-reading the thread....

OK, found where to change the wattage, more reading...

Last edited:

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Yes, you can crank up the watts. It only uses to get the temp up fast and the TC cuts it when temp is reached. 20 watts would not give it enough power to reach the desired temp.

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
ok, i think it worked better with the wattage bumped up properly. testing will continue, but tentatively quite happy with it so far, after 2 sessions. don't need to over-medicate for testing purposes...although it is tempting :) . 2 sessions, which was i think 5 stems, has me listed at 84% battery on the Cuboid.

has anyone played with the pre-heat settings tho? i think i will read more about that. not sure it matters, the couple second heat-up is already pretty good.

This may be the portable on-demand log vape I was looking for, esp since it even takes the e-nano glass

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Preheat is only valid for power mode.
If you have the customized myevic firmware loaded, the TC setting are in Argo (algorithms) menu . However, don't play in there until you get use to the preset values. Gets confusing quickly and so far I have not found any benefits for us.

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
so, I upped the TCR setting to 155 and 580 is getting me darker results in 2 or 3 hits with the e-nano GonG, very similar to e-nano in performance.

Am I reading things right tho, I should get a faint glow at 600F ? I still don't really see a glow at 600, but I am getting satisfactory results.

E0x

@rabblerouser what are you coil reading ? if is under 0.5 , try 185 tcr and set the temp more low to avoid combustion and remember that you draw speed alter the result

E0x,
Reactions: Pipes

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
You should see an initial glow for the 1st second or so, which is the overshoot, coming up from cold. After that a faint pulsing glow. This will differ from firmware versions and initial resistance read. Which don't forget to lock it in. Even a difference of .01 ohm effects the calibration.
Regardless, you are on the right track and doing well.
Enjoy!!!

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I changed the insulator....get a lot of difficulties to rebuild everything, coil suffered a bit of that. Now it glow, too much and easily but the resistance is now 0.68... it is still unusuable since it is too hot. I tried to lowered the TCR but now it doesn't stay in TC mode and go itself in power mode.

How to keep the counter-screw (ecrou in french) in place while tightening with the screwdriver, I didn't get nose pliers and used my fingers...don't know if it was a bad idea..?

PPN,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
You have a bad resistance read. If the mod thinks it's .68 ohm it definitely will run a muck. The reason the mod is jumping into power mode is because in the algorithm, the device gives it "x" amount of time to reach "y" temperature. If this parameter is not met, it kicks into power mode at 20 watts.
Remove the Eraser, reinstall once cold. The mod should then ask if new atomizer or the same. Select new and make sure the read is around .55 ohm area. Much less and you have a short, much higher and you have a bad read or bad connection. Lock the resistance in it in the menu.
In the "myevic" custom firmware you can also tell it not to do re-reads.

E0x

this work:
CzAIU40.jpg

firewod v3 mouthpiece/capsule with the project

PPN

Volute of Vapor
You have a bad resistance read. If the mod thinks it's .68 ohm it definitely will run a muck. The reason the mod is jumping into power mode is because in the algorithm, the device gives it "x" amount of time to reach "y" temperature. If this parameter is not met, it kicks into power mode at 20 watts.
Remove the Eraser, reinstall once cold. The mod should then ask if new atomizer or the same. Select new and make sure the read is around .55 ohm area. Much less and you have a short, much higher and you have a bad read or bad connection. Lock the resistance in it in the menu.
In the "myevic" custom firmware you can also tell it not to do re-reads.
Happy to say my Project is back in action, the resistance is 0.55
Thanks

GoGlass

Has anyone tried the eleaf pico?

Yes, here is it with my Eleaf pico (with Shorty Solo Stem, with Kayfun mini top piece, and original stem ) :

Image3_1.jpg
Image3_1.jpg

I am actually testing the eraser with my Eleaf Pico, at various settings, in TC mode.

But i have to pulse the fire button, if not, it becomes too hot for vaporizing correctly.

This thing works, but i have not done all my tests..... It's not comparable to a Solo or a Mighty/Crafty, but it works !!!! Anyway big up to Pipes for sending me this one fast, and for all his work here at FC !!!!!

thevapester

Yes, here is it with my Eleaf pico (with Shorty Solo Stem, with Kayfun mini top piece, and original stem ) :

Image3_1.jpg
Image3_1.jpg

I am actually testing the eraser with my Eleaf Pico, at various settings, in TC mode.

But i have to pulse the fire button, if not, it becomes too hot for vaporizing correctly.

This thing works, but i have not done all my tests..... It's not comparable to a Solo or a Mighty/Crafty, but it works !!!! Anyway big up to Pipes for sending me this one fast, and for all his work here at FC !!!!!
Sweet! I'll have to pm pipes again and get one in the mail.

thevapester,
Reactions: Pipes

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
It started with nickel in the beginning. As the technology improved, other metals with lower temperature coefficients were added into the mix. The last one being stainless steel, which is what we are currently using with good results. Newer mods also have whats called TCR mode, which allows the user to enter their own coefficient value. This is the mode we use to offset the temperature to the hotter side as wire temperature must be hotter to get right "chamber" temperature. Our need is different than ecig users but the temp control technology works for us too.
Cool stuff indeed.

@GoGlass, that Pico must be a small unit. Makes the Eraser look huge, lol.
Let us know what settings you end up using with it. Shouldn't have to worry about combustion.

Last edited:

Zheka

I've been playing with the Project for about a week now and I am very pleased with the results. Thank you @Pipes!

Mine is the silicon dome version. I think being able to bend stem to affect the airflow is a big plus. I also suspect dirty screen may be a positive contributing factor - restricting and diffusing the airflow a little. Whatever the reasons - no visible hot spot lately.

I'd like to try different stems now. Being new to vaping, I need some guidance navigating the options.
So any 14mm stem should fit. Are there other restrictions I need to know about?

To start I am probably going to get solo stem that Pipes recommends.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-70mm-G...p-Stem-Mouthpiece-For-Arizer-Air/331984790372
Do I need to worry who I buy it from? Are there poor quality knock offs?

Are there stems with smaller bowl better suited for micro dosing? What about adjustable stems? Do they work well?
Do you still use screens with glass stems like solo that have built in perforated divider that forms the bowl?

In general, what are your favorite stems to use with the Project? Why?

Thank you

natural farmer

I have already ordered two Air stems, smaller and bigger bowl with plastic tip! :D
Now I have to wait for the Eraser and order a mod box! :D:D

Any good places online to order a mod? I accidentally found nwvape.com and it seems to have good prices! Any others? Now... Cuboid or Reuleaux RX2/3 or something else? :p

natural farmer

Where did you buy these from? I was looking for various solo/air bowl sizes but they all look about the same to me.

thanks
A friend of mine ordered a few things from vapefiend and I added those two for me. There is an option to choose the short or the long one. Their bowls are different as well. Shorter has a smaller bowl. I guess everyone carries them, no?

natural farmer,
Reactions: Zheka

natural farmer

Got a new skin today for my Cuboid.
Goes very well with the Eraser.

$1.50 @ FT
:tup:
Looking goooood!!!

My Eraser is on the way as well (thanks for everything Pipes! Like you a lot!!!), Cuboid SS has been acquired and is a shining beauty and very small in my hands (although a bit heavy...), two Air stems are already here and the party will soon begin.
I have very high hopes for the Project, it might also keep me on spending more money for a Supreme or a Helios if it hits hard enough! :p
Time to read some books to kill time so I don't think much of it until it's here... :D

But guys? Feel free to talk more about your experience with the Project so far... Has it been a daily driver for any? Does it compare favourable with your other top vapes?

@Pipes ? How come your display only shows one battery and percentage? And that custom logo? Easy to do?

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
I'm using the "myevic" firmware. Since it's universal firmware for many models, it only shows a single cell but you can read each cells voltage separately. They were talking about fixing this but no biggy.
To make a custom logo, it's just a 2 bit colour depth (black and white) bmp file 64 pixels wide and 40 pixels height. I just used IrfanView on my Logo to edit it to the necessary format. It can be loaded with the factory utility.

Top Bottom