Discontinued The Persei Vaporizer for herbs and concentrates.

lonelyhero

the lost soul
Company Rep
I don't think its possible to break a mosfet at least I've never heard of it most are rated at 100amps or more but I don't know too much about them since I ended up buying a sigelei 150w tc instead of building a box mod like I had planned. Was considering buying a 510 adapter to run the herc on it but gary showed the mock up herc box the same day and I can't wait to try that

lonelyhero,

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician
@bdmonkeyj3w Cool idea but this thread is after all the Persei thread and if you are gonna discuss building your own vaporizer I hope there's a more appropriate thread for it. I can't offer advice as an UP Tech customer service rep about building your own box mod and wouldn't feel qualified to comment in that thread, Many others know much more then I do about that topic.

SamuraiSam,

kernal6500

@coffinoff Thanks. I assumed it wasn't a firecracker-to-the-face waiting to go off but I sort of get weirded out when a company won't assure me their device won't explode in my face. But no risk, no reward, right? lol

So the 8 is going cheap on oilvaporizer.com. I believe 90-ish. Persei Ti Series on w9tech's site is going for 133 currently. Not sure about further discounts at either location.

If I had to choose between an 8 for 90 or Persei for 133, how do I go about evaluating the pro's and con's at that point? It's not clear to me what I can or can't achieve with one vs the other whether voltage/wattage or otherwise.

Also, why would I pick an 8 over another reputable mod? Are there key features I should be looking for in a mod? I don't wanna derail the thread but it's related to their products so I figure this is the place to be told how w9 is the way to go for this and why.

just get a mod why waste your money on an 8?

kernal6500,

EpicNameGuy

just get a mod why waste your money on an 8?
Honestly, that's the whole thing I'm here trying to figure out right now... which device would be most ideal in a reasonable price range to drive the Herc properly.

I'm not overly crazy about the 8 from a style perspective so I'm not thinking I'm going in that direction anyways.. I thought perhaps I would go with the Persei, but it seems it doesn't feature temp control and that's key for my future investment. I've played with enough wax pens to know lack of temp regulation has been a decent part of why I haven't been satisfied with them relative to dabbing on an e-nail.

I know I won't get that experience in any portable device, but I am hoping to find something that approaches that level of quality and TC is a key factor.

Do you have a recommendation?

EpicNameGuy,

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician
Honestly, that's the whole thing I'm here trying to figure out right now... which device would be most ideal in a reasonable price range to drive the Herc properly.

I'm not overly crazy about the 8 from a style perspective so I'm not thinking I'm going in that direction anyways.. I thought perhaps I would go with the Persei, but it seems it doesn't feature temp control and that's key for my future investment. I've played with enough wax pens to know lack of temp regulation has been a decent part of why I haven't been satisfied with them relative to dabbing on an e-nail.

I know I won't get that experience in any portable device, but I am hoping to find something that approaches that level of quality and TC is a key factor.

Do you have a recommendation?
The issue with driving a Hercules with a temp controlled device is that current temp control E cigs are designed to measure resistance of either a nickel wire or a titanium wire and compensate for that instantaneous measured power with the next short burst of power. They do this several times a second; pulse power and measure resistance. The issue with trying to do this with a Hercules is that due to the material characteristics of Ai203 the resistance of the ceramic changes in a different way than a wire heater does; the increase of resistance relative to heat and applied electricity is much different than the wire heaters existing tc devices are designed to operate.

Last edited:

EpicNameGuy

The issue with driving a Hercules with a temp controlled device is that current temp control E cigs are designed to measure resistance of either a nickel wire or a titanium wire and compensate for that instantaneous measured power with the next short burst of power. They do this several times a second; pulse power and measure resistance. The issue with trying to do this with a Hercules is that due to the material characteristics of Ai203 the resistance of the ceramic changes in a different way than a wire heater does; the increase of resistance relative to heat and applied electricity is much different than the wire heaters existing tc devices are designed to operate.

Thanks for the info, Sam.

That all makes sense. I'm presuming this is the calibration you are working on for the future mods in development.

Sounds like proper TC and the Herc will have to wait until a device is capable of properly estimating the temp for the materials in use.

Also, I did see your message in the Ophos thread and appreciate the contact info. If I understand correctly so far, and I really want TC with the Herc, I just need to be patient and wait for the correct device to emerge.

Been lurking on this site for years first time poster.. this site has been the reason for my purchases of several high end vapes including the Tv Cera. Eventually i needed a replacement for it, never really worked right anyway. Im over that now but i wanted to find the best in the market and came upon w9 products. This is a huge thread and i domt really have much to add except that the customer service is top notch. I had a v3 persei that never really worked and it sat for about 6 months while i used the ophos and other vapes. I didnt want to deal with what i thought would be a hassle with the warrenty. I couldnt have been more wrong. Sam was very curteous, responded very quickly and made the experience hassle free. I now have the v4 top which is finicky.. but hey its the latest model..iv been searching for a thread adapter.. made the mistake of driving all over the city to at least 7 vape shops with no luck. Found it on planetvape. Dont snooze people jus order from pv

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
Been lurking on this site for years first time poster.. this site has been the reason for my purchases of several high end vapes including the Tv Cera. Eventually i needed a replacement for it, never really worked right anyway. Im over that now but i wanted to find the best in the market and came upon w9 products. This is a huge thread and i domt really have much to add except that the customer service is top notch. I had a v3 persei that never really worked and it sat for about 6 months while i used the ophos and other vapes. I didnt want to deal with what i thought would be a hassle with the warrenty. I couldnt have been more wrong. Sam was very curteous, responded very quickly and made the experience hassle free. I now have the v4 top which is finicky.. but hey its the latest model..iv been searching for a thread adapter.. made the mistake of driving all over the city to at least 7 vape shops with no luck. Found it on planetvape. Dont snooze people jus order from pv

May I ask what is finicky? The reason for me asking is we would like to know to correct it in the next version top that's coming out. I would really appreciate the knowledge.

Also thank you for your kind words towards Sam he is trying his hardest and it is great to hear things like this.

mixchu69

Quick question. Just opened up my second new Hercules sr74x. I am having trouble getting the center pin out, the part in G's YouTube video on assembling the 74. It's :51 seconds into the video when he taps the bottom end and the center pin dropped out. It worked easily on my first Hercules but can't get it out. Tried using a little toothpick to pop it out but no avail. Any suggestions?

mixchu69,

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
Quick question. Just opened up my second new Hercules sr74x. I am having trouble getting the center pin out, the part in G's YouTube video on assembling the 74. It's :51 seconds into the video when he taps the bottom end and the center pin dropped out. It worked easily on my first Hercules but can't get it out. Tried using a little toothpick to pop it out but no avail. Any suggestions?

unscrew the center post and stick a needle from the bottom side it will push the center spring contact out.

Might take a few tries.

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
Running into an issue with either my SR-74x, or Persei top (believe an early V2, marked R1073 on back). Not sure which, hoping someone can help me out.

At this point, I get no power/heat to the Herc. I've tried two different sets of AW brand 18350's purchased from W9 a few months ago, both give the same issue. I've tried the Herc hooked up the Core (at 8.0V) to bypass any potential battery issues, still zero power/heat using the Core.

Little background: Everything was working fine for several months. A week or so ago, I noticed the Persei would flash 3 times fairly often. Previously, the Persei would do this if there was a large jolt to it (battery losing and making connection again), but it's doing it fairly often now, even when I'm holding it still in my hand. Previously, when going to take a hit, I might get a 3 flash, but if I tried it again right after, I'd get a normal hit with no issue. I'd encounter this ghost 3 flash when taking a hit maybe once out of every 10 or 20 times. Now it seems like it's every other time. Except this time, even when the light stays solid, I'm getting zero power to the Herc.

Since the Herc/Persei was working yesterday, nothing has changed. I've unscrewed the top chamber to confirm my rod placement was still ok, it is. I don't have a multimeter with me right now, so can't use it to check the Herc.

Any insight into what my issue might be?

Thanks!

Melting Pot

Sick & Twisted
Running into an issue with either my SR-74x, or Persei top (believe an early V2, marked R1073 on back). Not sure which, hoping someone can help me out.

At this point, I get no power/heat to the Herc. I've tried two different sets of AW brand 18350's purchased from W9 a few months ago, both give the same issue. I've tried the Herc hooked up the Core (at 8.0V) to bypass any potential battery issues, still zero power/heat using the Core.

Little background: Everything was working fine for several months. A week or so ago, I noticed the Persei would flash 3 times fairly often. Previously, the Persei would do this if there was a large jolt to it (battery losing and making connection again), but it's doing it fairly often now, even when I'm holding it still in my hand. Previously, when going to take a hit, I might get a 3 flash, but if I tried it again right after, I'd get a normal hit with no issue. I'd encounter this ghost 3 flash when taking a hit maybe once out of every 10 or 20 times. Now it seems like it's every other time. Except this time, even when the light stays solid, I'm getting zero power to the Herc.

Since the Herc/Persei was working yesterday, nothing has changed. I've unscrewed the top chamber to confirm my rod placement was still ok, it is. I don't have a multimeter with me right now, so can't use it to check the Herc.

Thanks!
Sounds like the spring was getting week. The flashing lts are the top conecting with power.
So rhe batts kept bouncing against the top I would check the pin in the top and pull out spring to tighten up contact.
With a multi meter I would check power out of top or try another cart hope this helps.
If pin is pressed in just try to get out
Good luck

Melting Pot,
Reactions: Roth

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
Sounds like the spring was getting week. The flashing lts are the top conecting with power.
So rhe batts kept bouncing against the top I would check the pin in the top and pull out spring to tighten up contact.
With a multi meter I would check power out of top or try another cart hope this helps.
If pin is pressed in just try to get out
Good luck

Spring could definitely be an issue, not discounting that. But why am I still having issues when using the Core? I don't get the 3 flashes, but my Herc is still getting zero power to it even when the Persei head shows a solid light.

Unfortunately, I'm out on the road for work and won't have access to another cart/multimeter for another couple of days.

Could the pin be causing an issue here? I assume it's making solid contact since it shows stable power with the Core, and intermittent with batteries.

Appreciate the help.

Melting Pot

Sick & Twisted
Spring could definitely be an issue, not discounting that. But why am I still having issues when using the Core? I don't get the 3 flashes, but my Herc is still getting zero power to it even when the Persei head shows a solid light.

Unfortunately, I'm out on the road for work and won't have access to another cart/multimeter for another couple of days.

Could the pin be causing an issue here? I assume it's making solid contact since it shows stable power with the Core, and intermittent with batteries.

Appreciate the help.
Yea,if the lt on the button is working that definitely cancels out the pin.
That sucks...

Now when I travel always have a back up
Extra top, batts, carts all i use is the herc but carry a couple new kiss carts for shit like this.
My v1 dbl is old reliable and my back up.

Sorry i wasn't more help...

Melting Pot,
Reactions: Roth

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
Yea,if the lt on the button is working that definitely cancels out the pin.
That sucks...

Now when I travel always have a back up
Extra top, batts, carts all i use is the herc but carry a couple new kiss carts for shit like this.
My v1 dbl is old reliable and my back up.

Sorry i wasn't more help...

You've definitely helped, nothing to be sorry about!

Thankfully I do have a backup with me in the form of my Crafty. I usually travel with both my Crafty and Persei so I have options depending on my mood/situation.

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
You've definitely helped, nothing to be sorry about!

Thankfully I do have a backup with me in the form of my Crafty. I usually travel with both my Crafty and Persei so I have options depending on my mood/situation.

I do apologize about your issues please contact Sam using our ticket system and we will be happy to fix your situation.

lonelyhero

the lost soul
Company Rep

Thanks!
Have you tried screwing the herc directly into the Persei without the bottom insulator and hear sheild? if it heats like that then I'd say try adjusting the screws in the bottom insulator a bit

Top Bottom