The Pax and MFLB: a subjective comparison

Darb

Wow. Sorry to hear that. You must have miserable vape sessions, if you're not satisfied and longing for another?

Good luck with rectifying that!

You must have misread my post. I didn't make any mention of being satisfied or longing for anything.
I simply stated my opinion based on what I have read.
Your assumptions were incorrect.
My MFLB has been retired and I'm quite satisfied with my current choice of portable vape.
I do appreciate the condolences though.

Darb,

OF

You must have misread my post. I didn't make any mention of being satisfied or longing for anything.
I simply stated my opinion based on what I have read.
Your assumptions were incorrect.
My MFLB has been retired and I'm quite satisfied with my current choice of portable vape.

Wow, I sure misread that too:

"I've never used the Pax but I like it much better than my MFLB."

Silly me, I read that to be you saying something you've never tried is MUCH better than the MFLB you have. You like the unknown and untried more than what you own and have experience with. I guess I still read it like that?

I don't think you can blame BDV for not knowing about a replacement for the MFLB you've bought and are happy with if you don't mention that.

I'm happy you're happy.

OF

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
To early to make my head hurt from this oh my vodka that was funny. I love the blah blah and blah that I haven't tried either...:rofl:

Dreamerr,

Darb

Silly me, I read that to be you saying something you've never tried is MUCH better than the MFLB you have. You like the unknown and untried more than what you own and have experience with. I guess I still read it like that?

I don't think you can blame BDV for not knowing about a replacement for the MFLB you've bought and are happy with if you don't mention that.

I'm happy you're happy.

OF

I guess you could call it a subjective opinion.

Darb,
Reactions: OF

OF

I guess you could call it a subjective opinion.

For sure. All (or almost all) opinions are subjective I think, some more than others. You're certainly welcome to hear about and believe in greener grass on the other side of the proverbial hill. However, I think BDV's point would be that if you're content with the graze on this side of the hill you don't wonder over?

Once again, I'm happy you've found an alternative vape to the MFLB. It's not for everyone for sure. How that relates to the next fellow he'll have to sort out. I do think it's safe to say 'the Box' is generally well liked by almost all who try it? On that alone it seems to have merit.

OF

OF,
Reactions: Darb

MrNorml

I'm happy you're happy.

OF

He's saying (I'm not speaking) the MFLB is a POS and anything is better, or so the language seems to this casual reader with both devices and no dog in the fight.

MrNorml,

OF

He's saying (I'm not speaking) the MFLB is a POS and anything is better, or so the language seems to this casual reader with both devices and no dog in the fight.

Sorry, you lost me here. He has tried, and doesn't like, MFLB. Right? He has never tried Pax, right? He likes something he's never tried MUCH better. That's how I read it, now and then. I also think BDV did the same?

I see not mention of 'anything is better'. I don't see that, and surely I can name a number of units that are considered worse by the majority of members. There are 18,000 posts on that thread, very few negative, none calling it a POS AFAIK. Rather I see a 'grass is greener on the other side of the hill' kind of idea from a guy who's only heard stories about the other side of that proverbial hill?

In the bigger sense, I'm not sure what to gain from this information. To hate MFLB (as you seem to think is the case) puts the OP in the small minority IMO. If he's never tried the unit he likes so much better, I'm not sure how much faith I should put in that advice. Useful in that it's probably honest, but I'm with BDV in not basing my decisions on it.

What am I missing here? TIA.

OF

OF,

MrNorml

Sorry, you lost me here. He has tried, and doesn't like, MFLB. Right? He has never tried Pax, right? He likes something he's never tried MUCH better. That's how I read it, now and then. I also think BDV did the same?

If he's never tried the unit he likes so much better, I'm not sure how much faith I should put in that advice. Useful in that it's probably honest, but I'm with BDV in not basing my decisions on it.

What am I missing here? TIA.

OF

I'm not speaking for him, but I read it like you do. That anything is better. I'm not saying that. I think the MFLB has a definite place just on its batteries (1-hitter in public bathrooms etc) and while I have serious issues with it, it does work (I found I had to use the plastic straw and look through it until the light had been on for a couple secs) and it is economical (like a flamed-up 1-hitter) but it can combust, and it has the battery issues when used as a portable.

I will point out, however, that much of what I"m reading about the MFLB is dependent on it being attached to a plug, which in my mind is no longer a portable vape, just a very small electrical tool, and unless the MFLB is being compared as a portable, as it comes from the factory, it isn't a real comparison. I could say my Q is better than a plugged-in MFLB (I don't know, haven't tried plugged-in MFLB) and that would be more fair a comparison. Plugged vs Plugged. Or Battery vs Battery. Not Plugged vs Battery.

I tend to agree that one who has never tried something can't use it in a comparison. But I think he was just saying MFLB - worst - and if something is the worst, that means by definition all else is better in comparison... Hey, I doubt anyone would give it much thought; I was just saying how I read what he said - not that I agree (I don't agree that MFLB=worst; I have many worse myself) (I don't think MFLB is best for me with certain exceptions, where it is best, like as a 1-hitter etc in a bar bathroom for example), so don't think I'm picking sides because I don't intend to do so. I never sold my MFLB even if other electric portables get my attention. Currently the question isn't so much MFLB vs (pick-a-portable) as Solo vs Pax, as neither of those need to be tethered to a plug to get rave reviews. MFLB, as it comes shipped, is not an issue-free device. Many have problems using it. Lots give up before figuring out how to use it, reading suggests. Many just love it and would never switch, and if a watch isn't broken, etc... But at the same time, if the watch isn't working, why throw another $$$ into a wall-plug hoping that will fix the broken watch.

Now, having said all that, my personal preference is the Pax over the LB for reasons previously stated, with LB having the advantage in certain cases, and frankly Solo having some advantages too. Actually, I am pretty sure my feeling is they are all better than combusting, they all have the potential to work, and they all have probably fairly serious shortcomings (glass, combust, stick or burn too much). I use the tool that seems right for the situation and LB fits in there well. But more limited, and not what I would recommend as a portable given what else is out there. But it is a tool to have, and I have such a tool, in my arsenal of tricks. I just really rarely use or need it given other tools in my bag o' tricks.

Anyhow, not trying to beat a dead horse, but I agree with you that if I recommend a Porsche to you without having ever evan sat in one, you would be well suited to ignore me. The poster was simply calling his LB experience horrible like a Yugo I guess. That's all I was trying to say my interpretation was. No deal to me. But the comparison of plugged-in vs portable is not a fair comparison in my mind. Folks are considering the LB for stealth, and plugging something in to me removes a bit of the portable stealth concept. Bring on the MFLB as shipped and compare it to Pax as shipped. That's the comparison I think is legitimate. Otherwise, make sure those who are in the market are aware that the MFLB getting all the great reviews is often plugged into a wall for variable temperatures (like Pax has 3 of) or so you don't combust (which Pax can't). People should be aware that at least some of the 'power' folks find in the MFLB is at the end of a plug (desk model in my mind at that point).

So, let's let it die I guess on what someone not us meant by his inane remark that "That which I don't own is better" because without having walked a mile in our vaporized trail, one can't say that. I think we both agree on that.

MrNorml,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I will point out, however, that much of what I"m reading about the MFLB is dependent on it being attached to a plug, which in my mind is no longer a portable vape, just a very small electrical tool, and unless the MFLB is being compared as a portable, as it comes from the factory, it isn't a real comparison. I could say my Q is better than a plugged-in MFLB (I don't know, haven't tried plugged-in MFLB) and that would be more fair a comparison. Plugged vs Plugged. Or Battery vs Battery. Not Plugged vs Battery.

I'm not sure what you're reading, but the MFLB thread was already huge and full of praise well before the PA was announced. The comparison I started with here was Pax as sold vs LB as sold, not LB with PA.

But the comparison of plugged-in vs portable is not a fair comparison in my mind. Folks are considering the LB for stealth, and plugging something in to me removes a bit of the portable stealth concept.

That isn't the comparison here at all.

Bring on the MFLB as shipped and compare it to Pax as shipped. That's the comparison I think is legitimate. Otherwise, make sure those who are in the market are aware that the MFLB getting all the great reviews is often plugged into a wall for variable temperatures (like Pax has 3 of) or so you don't combust (which Pax can't). People should be aware that at least some of the 'power' folks find in the MFLB is at the end of a plug (desk model in my mind at that point).

The comparison you want is the comparison I started with, and the one most posts in this thread refer to. The LB had a staggering number of great reviews long before the PA appeared. Read the LB thread.

Finally, the Pax is limited to three temperatures, the lowest of which is barely within the high end of the range used by people who prefer low temperature tasty vapour. I don't see this as a virtue. The LB can do low temperature or high temperature or anything in between. It's a matter of simple breath control, and it's not hard to learn. People give up on it because they aren't shown how to control it, not because it can't be controlled. Combustion is possible but not at all common, even with novices.

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
I have never combusted and I am not good at this stuff. I still like my box although for now it has been sitting.

Dreamerr,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
I have a PA. I don't use it. I have 6 batteries all in good shape, cheap and EASY to replace. I've combusted in the past, but other than in the first 10 trenches or so, where it became kind of "duh", at that point. Combustion has been from me, pushing and perfecting pulls off the Box, past points most people thought it was shackled to.

I went thru a period of PA use only, but it was actually getting other/more vapes... that made me appreciate my Box, even more. It truly opened my eyes, to just how incredibly versatile it is. It made me realize that you can have a heavy hitter and the HI qualifies as a heavy hitter (I think... maybe? Well, its possible. :D) and I can knock off that for a day, switch over to my MFLB and be just as medicated as the day with the HI. I use more herb... but that's ONLY because of the nature of the way I use them. Notice I said, I use them. Because I load a full trench (well, I push it a little on "full"). Typically, my trench will last the better part of the day. However, since I will then load a second... I only use about about 1/2 what I would use on the Box, with my HI. But, guess what? The remnants of what I didn't finish, are still sitting in it, when I come back to the Box.

Plus a VB HF. I think while not a great number of vapes... its a pretty wide variety of different theories/methods on how herbs should be vaporized. The MFLB stands just as tall as any of them. I just accept that the delivery will be different. Not worse. Just different. Just like how the VB HF, is a slow build up of vapor, then suddenly you're breathing in lungfulls of thick vapor. The HI hits you in the head, with a shotgun blast of vapor. The MFLB, isnt really either. Its a steady stream (my method), of milky vapor filling my glassware. Or, its pulling a lung stuffing cloud off a 2" acrylic stem in my mouth, while breathing in thru my nose (is that even possible with the Pax?). Or perhaps, I don't want to be obvious and its a couple sips in a stall, at a store or restaurant. Whatever.

The MFLB filled all my vaping needs, before my other vapes. I just have more fun now.

And like I said, that's judging the Box, using batteries. I don't particularly like the PA. Its been responsible for breaking two of my boxes.

BigDaddyVapor,

Darb

Lol. Sorry guys. I don't dislike the MFLB at all. It treated me well. I have found other vaporizers which suit me better though.
I was bored and couldn't sleep.
I was making a stupid joke.
This thread is about having an opinion about a vape the op hasn't used either.
I apologize for wasting your time.

Darb,
Reactions: MrNorml

OF

Stupid jokes are allowed, I checked the rules....

Not an intentional waste of time, IMO. No apology necessary.

Thanks for setting the record straight.

OF

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Lol. Sorry guys. I don't dislike the MFLB at all. It treated me well. I have found other vaporizers which suit me better though.
I was bored and couldn't sleep.

Minor quibble: I have one and have used it quite a bit since I started this thread. There is only one of my original points on which I have shifted slightly: my Pax mouthpiece does not get uncomfortably warm the way some complained about in the Pax thread.

If you hadn't been making a joke, I'd have a major quibble: my opinion was based on some points that did not require prior use (such as price and appearance) and other points that were summaries of comments made in the Pax thread by owners, and by asking questions of Pax owners.

skippy

I read that whole MFLB vaporpedia last night, pakalolo, very impressive. You should be granted a degree for that thesis.

J Matthews

Meowenstein
i don't like the idea of having to control the temp myself so the mflb doesn't have a lot of appeal. actually, having to toggle the battery like that seems pretty ghetto which is why i went all out and swooped a pax. i got to give it up though to the launch box for being so small and having a good price. probably should have gone with the mflb instead of the vaporgenie back in the day.

J Matthews,
Reactions: MrNorml

terpsfan726

Have had them both, but no longer own the mflb. Don't get me wrong, i LOVE my pax(more than the mflb), but i am starting to miss my mflb for those quick little sessions and to help conserve my herb(which the pax does not do too well)

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
i don't like the idea of having to control the temp myself so the mflb doesn't have a lot of appeal. actually, having to toggle the battery like that seems pretty ghetto which is why i went all out and swooped a pax. i got to give it up though to the launch box for being so small and having a good price. probably should have gone with the mflb instead of the vaporgenie back in the day.

You do realize that most vapes rely of air flow (I can't think of any that don't, actually), to help control the output of vapor.

So does your Pax.

In fact, the MFLB gives you more control over it.

Ghetto battery? I don't even know what that's supposed to mean. If you mean, user replaceable and ACTUALLY gives you the option of using different types of batteries for different types of sessions and/or charge. If that's ghetto? Wow... I don't know what to call a proprietary system, that requires sending the unit in, to replace the battery?

I can come up with a lot of names, none of them flattering.

2 years from now, the next flavor of the month will have come along (several times over), people will be replacing Pax's. The MFLB thread will be over 1000 pages long.

J Matthews

Meowenstein
You do realize that most vapes rely of air flow (I can't think of any that don't, actually), to help control the output of vapor.

So does your Pax.

In fact, the MFLB gives you more control over it.

Ghetto battery? I don't even know what that's supposed to mean. If you mean, user replaceable and ACTUALLY gives you the option of using different types of batteries for different types of sessions and/or charge. If that's ghetto? Wow... I don't know what to call a proprietary system, that requires sending the unit in, to replace the battery?

I can come up with a lot of names, none of them flattering.

2 years from now, the next flavor of the month will have come along (several times over), people will be replacing Pax's. The MFLB thread will be over 1000 pages long.

i didn't say "ghetto battery" ... if you carefully examine the text you quoted, you'll realize your argument has nothing to do with the statement which i made. i'm saying that the system incorporated, which requires the user to pulsate the battery, is GHETTO. at least the palm vaporizer maintains a steady temperature of 380F, where the mflb just lets you wing it lol. i use the palm as an example due to the fact that it uses a system of vaporizing which is very similar to that of the mflb.

read more carefully next time lol.

and having to regulate the air flow manually (where many desktop vaporizers have internal fans, sometimes with variable fan speeds like the extreme q) is a much easier to use system. i'm looking for convenience as opposed to having a series of techniques which i'm forced to master in order to use my vape properly. saying the mflb's system gives you more control is like saying that controlling the distance from the bowl and duration for which a flame is held to a vaporgenie is a convenient way to vaporize because it gives you more control... using a vg basically sucks, fyi and the mflb isn't too far off imo. by the way, this is just my opinion, so who gives a fuck, right?

mod note: You're over the line -
  • Don’t attack products or companies. You can post your opinion, and you can criticize, but posts written to offend are not allowed.

J Matthews,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
My comprehension is quite fine. "Pulsate" the battery? What the heck is that? Perhaps communicating the opinion coherently, is the issue? I've never once... had to "pulsate" my battery. BTW, you didn't explain the "system", other than to say... "having to toggle the battery like that seems pretty ghetto", me asking "what's ghetto about the battery", is certainly a valid question. You've still failed to clear that up, except with vague claims of "pulsating".

As for your 380 degrees and having to "wing it". I'm sorry, controlling your own breathing, where you can easily adjust the taste, thickness/consistency of the vapor is a difficult task for you. Yeah... "ghetto". Doesn't matter what your description was meant to say, it was poorly worded and still doesn't make any sense.

Actually, many desktop vapes don't have fans. In fact, its not real common at all. The percentage, over all is pretty insignificant. However, why you bring that up, in a discussion of the Pax/MFLB is a puzzling. Its a moot point. As for the VaporGenie it isn't remotely close to the MFLB (nor the Pax). If you check my signature... you might have noticed, I owned one. Didn't like it. Got rid of it.

I know you're new and all... so.... drop the attitude. Critiquing your vape or your take, doesn't give you license to come after me.

P.S. Is that your review/commission site, in your sig?

mod note: You can drop your own attitude as well. Argue your points without getting personal please.

BigDaddyVapor,

OF

saying the mflb's system gives you more control is like saying that controlling the distance from the bowl and duration for which a flame is held to a vaporgenie is a convenient way to vaporize because it gives you more control... using a vg basically sucks, fyi and the mflb isn't too far off imo. by the way, this is just my opinion, so who gives a fuck, right?

I value your (honest) opinions, and I'm sure there are many others who do even if we don't agree with them.

Saying 'VG sucks' like it's a fact when some don't agree with that only lessens the importance of your other opinions as I see it. And for something 'not far off' from that, the box has a strong following. Thousands of posts from folks tickled by theirs right here.

So, please continue to speak you mind and offer your opinions, but in all fairness you should be ready to defend them?

Doesn't matter what your description was meant to say, it was poorly worded and still doesn't make any sense.

While I agree it was perhaps an unfortunate term to use, I think there's an underlying misconception here. For sure I too never 'slack off on the battery' with MFLB. Most of us are looking for more heat, not less, and moderate our draw down from what we'd really like because of that. You have to pulse systems like high output Omicron carts that can run away from you otherwise, perhaps this is the source? I suspect the OP never really mastered the box or he would not have said that? He may just be innocently restating some second hand (incorrect IMO) information. Not uncommon.

The man seems to like his Pax, which is a good thing. At least some of what he says to downplay MFLB doesn't make sense to me either but each guy gets to choose......

OF

OF,
Reactions: ShipDit

OF

Whatever. I'm stepping out of this conversation to.

Bummer that, your call for sure. Now guys may have to look a little harder to find your advice and insight, IMO a loss to all.

I'll have to look forward to 'working out the fine points' with you on other forums I guess.

Thanks much for what you've contributed, and will hopefully expand on.

OF

OF,

druminfected

First my Inhalater needs to be sent back, and now my Pax won't even hold a charge for more than 1 oven load!

Who comes to the rescue? the MFLB! :tup: I remember when I got finally had all 3 portable vapes, in the back of my mind, I was like damn, i'm never going to use this mflb again, it's just going to sit in my drawer and collect dust. Boy was I totally wrong! It's been saving my butt lately since the new portables out there still have some kinks to work out on some units ( I just have horrible luck as well!)

Some people just can't figure out the way to hit the mflb, and I usually send them to the mflb main site video section, where it has video of a demo of how to hit the mflb and it works great. So while I'm waiting for hit up ploom support to see what to do with my battery problem, the mflb will by my side!

Ratm22

Cloud Transcender
Not sure that I like this thread in the normal Vape Discussion board. Does this not lead to more comparison posts, why not have a post for every possible comparison?

The MFLB is one of the best portable vapes available, yet I still don't care for it. The hits are just not as consistent with that of a temperature regulated vape.

I have been watching ploom since the came out with their ecig. They seem to be making good progress in vape technology. If I had cash I would pick one up.

Ratm22,
Top Bottom