The Pax and MFLB: a subjective comparison

MrNorml

Mr. Normal what is a glycerine tube?

http://lifesabervaporizer.com/lsv-glass/glycerin-cooling/lsv-vapor-tamer.html for example.

You put the thing in the freezer. Glycerine gets cold but doesn't freeze/expand and break. Run your vapor or smoke through it to significantly cool it off. Really really nice experience. But you have to remember to return it to the freezer after each use, and it might on occassion get condensation in the tubing which on the discontinued small one I got (2 of) actually totally blocks it up. New available ones have larger diameter tubing. Bigger is better I read somewhere on the internet, so it must be true. If you are looking for a much cooler experience, consider one or at least see what you can find on this interweb about them and see if it might be for you. They really really work nice to cool off much much much and I think give a much more pleasant taste.

mod note: Back-to-back posts, merged. Please use the Edit button, thanks.

MrNorml,
Reactions: Dreamerr

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Way to much work for me but would love to try it. What a neat concept.

Dreamerr,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
anyways, all i have is the mflb & the con i didnt see mentioned in the original/modified list is that it has opened up in my pocket like 3-6 times already (about 1 yr of usage).

It didn't make the list because mine has never opened in my pocket. That might be because I have an early model without the click-lid, so I always use a rubber band.

but another pro of pax is that it is more stealth to sneak past the bouncers who pat u down at the door (maybe?). once, a guy asked me what my mflb was, then flipped it around in his hand and could see the herb through the window...so i had to walk back to my car to put it away.

I don't go to that sort of place, but your point is well taken.

pakalolo,

Dreamerr

It didn't make the list because mine has never opened in my pocket. That might be because I have an early model without the click-lid, so I always use a rubber band.

I don't go to that sort of place, but your point is well taken.

My early one never opened either in my pocket but the new improved model is not sealed as tight so herb gets between the glass and wood and does open. I am going back to rubber bands which I didn't really need with the early one. Also the newer model seems to leak vape as well. I am almost sorry I had to replace the old one which I thought worked better as a whole.

Dreamerr,

rayski

My early one never opened either in my pocket but the new improved model is not sealed as tight so herb gets between the glass and wood and does open. I am going back to rubber bands which I didn't really need with the early one. Also the newer model seems to leak vape as well. I am almost sorry I had to replace the old one which I thought worked better as a whole.
If you neglect your loose lidded LB long enough, that brownish material builds up where the vapor escapes and becomes sort of a sealant. It keeps the vapor inside and makes the lid tighter.
I don't mean to say the lb has loose lids. I just like saying loose lidded, but you know what I mean.

rayski,

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
I dont own the Pax nor is it on my list of high priority vape purchases but the model is pretty cool, I find myself following the forum as it does in fact seem like an interesting device. I have however owned a few LB's over time and for me it was one simple thing that kept it on my shelf collecting dust - it always felt like work getting good hits, it almost felt like if conditions weren't perfect it just wasn't doing for me. Pak - thanks for a great conversation here, seemed like a success. :clap:

mvapes,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Yeah the Box is one of the most technique-driven vapes. It works really well for some people, and others don't find much practical use.

Quetzalcoatl,
Reactions: OF

OF

Yeah the Box is one of the most technique-driven vapes. It works really well for some people, and others don't find much practical use.

Very good point. Technique is key, it's a manual machine for sure, not appropriate for all.

And, as I said before, I think for some of the folks who 'need' higher doses it's 'fighting over it's weight'. It's not really magic. The best technique in the world can't get THC out of that little trench that doesn't go in first.

OF

OF,
Reactions: mvapes

happyTrails

phishpanicjam
Thread derail disclaimer: :goon:

I do not have the new ball catch model, but even with rubber bands in a pair of jeans, my MFLB lid would sometimes let some herb slip out. My solution was the "snick mod". Since then, I have never had an issue.
Here is how I did it; With the lid closed use a dry erase marker to mark both sides of where the metal hinge presses on the lid. Open the lid and you can now see exactly where the metal presses the lid (in between your markings). Next, bend a metal coat hanger hook so that you have curve similar to the diameter of a penny. Heat the snot out of the hanger with a lighter. Then gently press it into the lid where the pin would make contact. You want to melt the acrylic down to create a shallow groove for that metal pin to "click" the lid into place. Start shallow, and go deeper if you want it more secure.
:rockon: Problem solved!

Now back to our regular scheduled programming...

happyTrails,

Dreamerr

Thank you sir...I have no luck with the searches on this site. Guess it is a factor of me and the way the search engine runs. I do still always try and search first on site and ask when I don't find the answer...:\

Dreamerr,
Maybe if I were consuming canna butter the LB would be fine to "keep me there" but I'm vaping, not eating (unfortunately for me at times IMHO).

I've found the LB to be particularly well-suited to giving my head change a little boost when it's starting to fade.

UpUpandAway,
Reactions: Vicki

OF

I've found the LB to be particularly well-suited to giving my head change a little boost when it's starting to fade.

I think most guys start out there, and as long as they keep a leash on it all is well. Enjoy it too much and pretty soon you need a bigger box.....or a smaller head to adjust.

IIRC Vitolo was working on the bigger box angle..... That's the kinda guy he is, you know.

OF

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I think most guys start out there, and as long as they keep a leash on it all is well. Enjoy it too much and pretty soon you need a bigger box.....or a smaller head to adjust.

I must be keeping a leash on it because I am able to use the LB daily, and it's the only vaporizer I'm using. :)

OF

I must be keeping a leash on it because I am able to use the LB daily, and it's the only vaporizer I'm using. :)

Good on ya, Lady! There's LOTS of guys who envy you that, and say so. It's a funny trade off in a way.

We've got guys who 'need' 20 or more times what others do. I think we tend to forget this and how it taints folk's opinions of various vapes. It's important to factor that in when you're trying to decide how useful their advice might be to you.

Anyway, back to the point, keeping your tolerance in line has clear advantages.

OF

OF,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Yeah the Box is my only method of consumption as well and I find it more than adequate, especially given the nature of my medical conditions (among them "arthritis"-like flareup's and random nausea ranging from barely noticeable to throwing up within the minute.) I tend to use my vape immediately after taking my painkillers, within minutes I'm starting to feel something as opposed to the 30-45 minutes that I can expect for my pills to start working.

druminfected

by the way i seen a mflb on amazone for 72$ with shipping! it says 2012 model but the picture don't show the ball/lock cover.

been debating to get a pax or a inhalater and it's doing my head in! but the forums are definitely helping me out, thanks guys!

druminfected,

OF

I look at it this way...

Sometimes you feel like a nut. Sometimes you don't.

To each, his own.

So true, BDV, and some of us know just how you feel from way over here.....

All in all it's so cool to have such choices to work through though, isn't it?

OF

willieR

Been here since 2009
Having used both Pax and LB, I say this:

The LB with batts is disappointing. No balls. That's the reason I bought the Pax.

The LB with the PA rocks, and is my go-to for some gourmet vaping. If I had a $1000 bud, I would enjoy it on the LB with PA.

The Pax (for me) is used when I'm travelling / hiking / biking because I can load a small or large oven and I'm good for quite a while. The Pax has much more power than the LB with batts, and I find this is great when I'm on the go.

willieR,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Having used both Pax and LB, I say this:

The LB with batts is disappointing. No balls. That's the reason I bought the Pax.

The LB with the PA rocks, and is my go-to for some gourmet vaping. If I had a $1000 bud, I would enjoy it on the LB with PA.

The Pax (for me) is used when I'm travelling / hiking / biking because I can load a small or large oven and I'm good for quite a while. The Pax has much more power than the LB with batts, and I find this is great when I'm on the go.

Since I now have a Pax, I have a dilemma. I owe this thread an update but I am committed to write a review, so to be fair I have to limit what I post.

I have determined that the Pax cannot replace my LB+PA as my daily driver. I like tasty low temperature vapour and the Pax just doesn't deliver that. Saying that the Pax "has much more power" is another way of saying that it delivers thick hot vapour. I found it disappointing that it doesn't have a setting lower than 185°C.

Before anyone jumps on me as a Pax-hater, I will give away that my conclusion is that although it's not for me, I think the Pax is an excellent choice for a lot of people.

X24

You guys are bringing up something I've noticed between the MFLB and DBV. The MFLB let's you really taste your cannabis. I feel the first couple of draws are what the bud truly tastes like.

DBV sure hits you harder, but the hits are almost too big to get great taste out of.

willieR

Been here since 2009
Paka, I wouldn't say you are a Pax hater. More like a MFLB lover. I would say that you don't always appear to be fully objective. Can't knock a guy for loving his vape, but let's face it. You've been the single biggest cheerleader Magic Flight has, and I personally have to factor that in when I read your great posts.

:2c:

Top Bottom