The original ambient light vaporizer - Solar Puffing and the Sun

If an admin wants to strike this down on principle I wouldn't be offended...

But I've been solar-puffing (as my circle has coined it) for a long time. A pair of sunglasses, a decent magnifying glass and a pipe with a visible bowl (the only type I consider buying really at this point) are all you need to get incredibly tasty hits from plant material or extracts. By varying how tightly you focus the beam of light, you can actually get a decent vaporization going with some practice. By messing with focus, I mean using a wide circle of light for little heat, or a tiny bead of light for intense, combusting heat. It's wonderful for outdoor concerts and the like when its sunny because it is, of course, a completely windproof method of smoking/vaping.

None of my vaps have made better use of my extracts than the solar puffing method. I'm at the point where I fantasize about an adequately bright light in a setup where I could "solar" puff indoors, anytime.

Anyone else solar puff?

Mr. Smoke No More

Can't stop the head rush!
I have tried it only once back when i combusted. I do remember it being fairly tasty, gunna have to give it another go sometime soon.

Mr. Smoke No More,
hereatlast said:
Haha yesterday I was talking to someone online and they linked me this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dU-wSqJWV8

I've got three sky-lights in my small apt. definitely gotta get a magnifying glass :cool:

Damn, I wish they'd step back, look up and show us the light set up.

I found harborfreight stores have a PERFECT magnifying glass model for like 1.25 at their stores. It's about a 2.5 radius circular lens on a blocky handle which has a place for batteries for a worthless little light on it. Best ones yet, I have like 4. I've found that this design is as big as they can really get before the largeness of the lens actually makes focusing more difficult. For me, that one time, anyway.

charliedontsurf,

OO

Technical Skeptical
this thread deserves bumping, as i want more people to try this technique.

OO,

weedemon

enthusiast
hehe one time out hiking i forgot the lighter in the car but i had my compass with a mag lens on it. i combusted a few bowls that way,but ti was a cold windy day. took a lot of patience. my gf wasn't impressed with me taking 10 min timeouts to get a bowl glowing :p

cool you were ab;e to vape this way too though!

weedemon,

hereatlast

I'm sorry I couldn't help but chuckle at this. It deserves bumping because of what you want :p
OO, have you tried 'solar hits' in the past or have any experience you can add to the thread?

Thanks for the link FLskwat, interesting methodology. I'll see if I can't utilize the sunlight in my place soon once the rainy spring days give way to more nice sunny ones. :cool:

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
Welcome bro'... BTW it's an excellent idea but it's not mine, eh! Just found the link!
I will try this during the summer though, word! ;)

FLskwat,
Yeah how did those produce vapor so fast? These obviously have to practiced circumstances. I cannot imagine being able to focus sunlight to 350F to produce mildly thick vapor. Can any give there :2c: on methods that work?

Can't wait till summer to actually try this out. Ray Ban Vision :cool: :ko:

biojuggernaut,

djonkoman

have to try this
I tried making fire with a magnifying glass in the past but never succeeded, but had never a smal one with bigger magnification
coincidence will, that
I recently got one from dealextreme for looking at trichomes at guerilla

djonkoman,

OO

Technical Skeptical
hereatlast said:

I'm sorry I couldn't help but chuckle at this. It deserves bumping because of what you want :p
OO, have you tried 'solar hits' in the past or have any experience you can add to the thread?
i have used solar power, but only to combust.
it is funny that i never tried vaping with the sun.
i was thinking about trying this with the glass vapobowl when it arrived, and was searching the net to see if anyone had tried it before when i stumbled upon this thread.

my original idea was to paint the top black so as to improve radiation absorbtion, but that may not be necessary.
i'd like to see more people try this as most who combust already posess the necessary equipment.

OO,

The Oracle

Vape Manufacturer
Manufacturer
OO said:
my original idea was to paint the top black so as to improve radiation absorbtion, but that may not be necessary.
i'd like to see more people try this as most who combust already posess the necessary equipment.

How about surrounding the outside, except for an opening to allow light to enter, with aluminum foil. This would ensure most the light entering the chamber would bounce around and get absorbed by your biomass ;)

The Oracle,

OO

Technical Skeptical
The Oracle said:
OO said:

How about surrounding the outside, except for an opening to allow light to enter, with aluminum foil. This would ensure most the light entering the chamber would bounce around and get absorbed by your biomass ;)
hmm, it might make for more even distribution of heat across the surface of the metal on top of the vapobowl, i'll give it a shot when it arrives.

as far as for hitting the herb directly, i think the concern is too much radiation leading to combustion.

OO,

PhishCactus

Lvl. 420 Vaporist
fresnal lenses are used in lighthouses i think, as well as enlarging television screens, magnifying lighthouse beacons, and apparently even have been used to heat pools. I don't fully understand how they work, but it would be interesting to see if someone could integrate one into a vaporization or combustion format.

PhishCactus,

wowthisisrandom

Glass/Vape Enthusiast
I remember I tried this once when i had to send my vape to be repaired. Had a hard time keeping it from combusting but it was still pretty good. I'm usually too lazy for this technique though.

wowthisisrandom,

djonkoman

just tried it... didn't work at all
pointed the loupe towards the sun, I did get a bright spot at the bowl, wich I could change in size
but even when making it a very small(concentrated) point, I detected not a single sign of heat
sunny day, full sun, but just past the hottest [art of the day(15.44 on my laptop) and still early in the year, but hot weather

it could be my lack of experience tough, since I've never created fore/heat/combustion woth a magnifying glass before
I believe I have tried it as a kid a few times but just like now I never succeeded, just a bright spot but no heat whatsoever

djonkoman,

aero18

vaporist
djonkoman said:
just tried it... didn't work at all
pointed the loupe towards the sun, I did get a bright spot at the bowl, wich I could change in size
but even when making it a very small(concentrated) point, I detected not a single sign of heat
sunny day, full sun, but just past the hottest [art of the day(15.44 on my laptop) and still early in the year, but hot weather

it could be my lack of experience tough, since I've never created fore/heat/combustion woth a magnifying glass before
I believe I have tried it as a kid a few times but just like now I never succeeded, just a bright spot but no heat whatsoever

I don't know how you cannot do this. I started my own fires with magnifying glasses when I was 5.

hereatlast

Could have to do with the quality of the magnifying glass? I think its worth another shot with an alternate tool if available/possible?

hereatlast,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Are jewelers loupes the tiny eye piece ones? I think it's about the surface area of the glass as well- The more light it can capture and focus into one point, the better (or rather more powerful). So a couple of inches diameter plus is what I've used.. IME it doesn't need to be a powerful mag. I think I've even seen in survival books that it can be done with reading glasses....(making fire that is, not post-disaster survival vaping :lol:)

WatTyler,
Top Bottom