Discontinued The Okin by D.M. Pipes

VAPEHUNTER

This has to be one of the best photos on the entire forum period! I even had it as my screen saver for a while.
Every time I see this picture I can't help but think how relaxing it would be to put a couple logs in the pot belly stove, put some Pink Floyd on the radio and sit back with a cup of tea and the Okin.....pure heaven.

G3R0PRq.jpg

VAPEHUNTER

I see plastic in that room! @Dan Morrison can't you get a remington typewriter?! :D

Edit: or a morse key if you really must communicate with the exterior...

lk1.jpg

Whoa friend, slow down there. While I understand 100% where you're coming from remember no plastic, no Okin updates for the FC:p.

Maybe we should all pitch in and get Dan a keyboard a little more fitting for his retreat.
Maybe something like this....
C3QKKxQ.jpg

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Hahahah, oh man. That's so funny. @°k , @VAPEHUNTER

Actually, I used to be really against anything plastic... but I think that recently I am coming around on it. Turns out that there are some really cool plastics out there. Also.. that wireless Logitech keyboard pictured there was like $10 and I abuse it so much. The two AA batteries in there have lasted like 3 years. I am just amazed at the durability. The magic of plastic.

Okay, time for something totally unnecessary, but perhaps a few might find this useful for something.. you never know!

This is the poor man's layout tool for accurately dividing a circumference.

Use calipers to find the diameter to .001", calculate circumference, divide. In this case I need 5 equally spaced holes drilled into the OD of this indexing plate, so I divide by 5.

Set the calipers for the number you spat out, should be accurate to .001".

Layout a piece of masking tape on a plate of clean glass, lay it down without stretching it. Sharpen the point of a mechanical pencil on some sandpaper. Then just use the calipers to mark your points on the tape. Use some good lighting and mark carefully.

Remove the tape and wrap it around your round object, if the first mark and last mark perfectly butt up against each other, you know that your marks were accurate. I will be using these pencil marks to scribe my lines for the drilling stage.

s5UhVjf.jpg

Qx39jSk.jpg

And, I have hosted the original photo files on my website, here are the links! Feel free to do whatever you want with them.

http://dmpipes.com/Okin1.jpg

http://dmpipes.com/Okin2.jpg

http://dmpipes.com/Okin3.jpg

@Ratchett , I'll have to get back to you on a finished logo... still working on it.

VAPEHUNTER

@Ratchett , I'll have to get back to you on a finished logo... still working on it.

May I make a suggestion for a logo. Possibly a guy that looks like you Dan, puffing on an Okin.

Wait a second....I know I've seen a picture before that kinda looks like Dan.:p

3025.jpg

If you talk to @Stu you might be able to "borrow" his logo and use it as a starting point:lol:.
Hmmmm. I can see it now "Jesus loves tokin with The Okin"

Sorry, @Dan Morrison just busting chops. Keep up the work and keep posting those beautiful photos.:tup:

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@VAPEHUNTER , hahaha. I could basically be the guy in that image!!

Some more drilling jig making photos...

Drilling the tapered indexing holes. These will be the 5 stop points for the hole locations.

hcQcVbX.jpg

Working on the cocobolo pin holder. This will hold the tapered indexing pin that will lock the jig into the 5 hole locations.

K5DkHQ1.jpg

7mV5OsI.jpg

Just have to make a threaded brass locking pin, and I can finally drill these metal tips! Seems like a hell of a lot of time to be working on a single jig, but I know it will be worth it in the end.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Okay, little update.

Got too excited while finishing the drilling jig and forgot to take photos, but I'll get some at some point. Works awesome! Drilling is fast and accurate.

One last design question I have in mind is whether or not to go with 00-90 or 0-80 brass screws for the second screw on the prongs... Now that I see a metal tip complete with the 00-90 brass screws, they might look a little small. That, and 00-90 thread taps are about 3x the price of 0-80 taps, the tap drills are also harder to find. I'll post some photos of the finished steel tip later and you guys can tell me what you think. Yes, it's a tiny detail, but I think every proportion is important to the over-all look and feel.

Haakkon

I don't know how small 00-90's are but I have some 0-80's in front of me. They seem like they would be fine to me from how big I'm guessing the Okin is but obviously I've never seen an Okin in person.

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
I don't know how small 00-90's are but I have some 0-80's in front of me. They seem like they would be fine to me from how big I'm guessing the Okin is but obviously I've never seen an Okin in person.
I don't know if one is that much heavier than the other, but I expect that neither will upset the perfect ergonomic balance of the Okin, (i.e., not making it front-end heavy). I don't care how long it takes to get one - Dan will not rush perfection!!! He is a perfectionist par excellence' - that is amply evident!

Last edited:

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Okay, turns out 00-90 looks really nice, so that's that. The 0-80 screw head is a bit too large.

This new steel tip is the production model before the surface treatment is applied. An acid bath will dull/darken the steel.

Here I am test fitting the new tip on an older stem design. The production model stem will have painted bands as an option.

f1XhQLz.jpg

Compared to a couple other prototypes. The second screw adds a lot of visual appeal for me.

fnAgyZB.jpg

LJ8wDEa.jpg

Close up look at the brass screw heads.

jU8QQYw.jpg

QmrZljx.jpg

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Beautiful.

Can I have one now, please? No?

How about now?

No vape for you! Come back, one year! :lol:

yay for the second screw. :) will the bands be easy to replace in case of unwanted damage?

The bands will be painted onto the bamboo with milk paint. It'll be sealed under a coat of linseed oil, but time will tell how well they last. I'm going to be doing some painting today, so I'll post the results.

Repairs could be done at home, but after the surface is oiled it won't be easy to re-paint. The bamboo could be grooved on the lathe, and the paint applied into these grooves, for a much more durable application, but i'll have to see how things go, because that will add another manufacturing step...

I borrowed this quote from google,

"Milk Paint is a natural paint that has been used for centuries. It is chemical free, durable and tactile, imparting all surfaces with a beautifully soft painted finish . It has been found decorating tombs of the pharaohs, used in historic European homes & castles and was also used extensively by the American Shakers to decorate furniture."

I'm in love with the second screw addition!

It appears it'll add many years of life to the product as well! Any estimated time you plan to take pre orders?!

Yep! Those prongs are not going anywhere!

And, I'm just not going to list dates anymore, haha, I've already listed and surpassed a few dates at this point. My goal is just to try my best to get these out as soon as possible. Things are really coming to a point however, it will be soon!

Who want's to take a bet on which pen-vape we'll see first:
The Grasshopper or the Okin.......

Looking forward to enjoying both the GH and the Okin this summer :D

Hahah, I guess we will see! And I think the GH will be a totally different animal designed for a different experience, so you might as well get both :p

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
I shall have BOTH.... when they are available to purchase... no pre-order nor crowd funding EVER AGAIN for THIS GUY ! :ugh: BTDT :disgust:

Besides.. I'm not the type (well, anymore :rolleyes:), that needs to be the 1st on the block to own anything for the sake of just being 1st... I'm too old for that shit now, and am more interested in buying things that WORK as advertised as well as are available to ship when I damn well pay for it :nope:

Yes, I feel as though I will at least for sure own an Okin as Dan appears to be the type to not release until it's perfect (plus he's Canadian :p) ... As far as the GH... well, I have faith, but time will certainly tell ! :nod:

°k

The sound of vapor
@Dan Morrison have you tried with 2 small ones? The bottom one seems a bit big to me and I think it gives an impression of suckers on a tentacle, reinforcing the sqweed look.

large.png

I know I'm mixing up everything but some tentacles can be badass though.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Hey, George, the 90's called. They want their references back! ;-)

:rip:

@Dan Morrison have you tried with 2 small ones? The bottom one seems a bit big to me and I think it gives an impression of suckers on a tentacle, reinforcing the sqweed look.

I actually like the squid look, heh. I'm already going down this road...can't stop now. The contrast in size makes it appear, like you said, more organic. And I am keeping that vibe throughout. Perhaps I'll give it a try though... if only to satisfy my curiosity!

I've been making stems the last two days, and when the first new stem was complete I sat back, took a good look... and... well.. it was ugly. hahah.

It seemed like that simple stem only works when the stem is longer. After shortening the stem in my design drawings, both to re-balance the thing (the longer stem of my last prototype felt a bit tip-heavy) and to accommodate a more pocket friendly box, the end result was... chunky. It had no flow, no elegance, it was just dead.

I also decided to go back to the original joint between the wooden stem and the metal tip. In testing this first design proved superior. I also got rid of the african blackwood for this piece. Turns out ya don't need it, and that "step down" in diameter was starting to look off to me, not quite as nice as the more raw bamboo stem of the first prototype...

Anyhow, photos tell a better story,

Stems awaiting finish work.

HDmUGnk.jpg

Inlaying the stem detail. This will probably replace the painted bands. This is an old pipemakers technique of filling in the void in bamboo where the branches shoot out of the cane. It helps to round out that side of the stem, where the natural shape of the bamboo makes it appear too flat when looked at from a certain angle.

QsxgPOC.jpg

The modified joint area. You can see the groove for the sewing thread O-ring to be wound into. The taper at the end is key to what makes this design so good. The metal tip butts up against the tapered shoulder, making a tight joint regardless of the thread winding. Through the extreme heat changes, this joint feels secure, yet loose enough for smooth removal.

OoHiVtU.jpg

idhJpXH.jpg

The inlay is of verawood. I'll be using various exotic woods for this detail, perhaps some stones, coral, etc.. I think it will be much cooler than the painted colour bands.

nM9yPmF.jpg

Here's the stem I made yesterday. I mean, it's not that bad... but it's definitely off somehow.

VWDyDuJ.jpg

Here is the newly revised stem I made today. This is exactly the same length as the stem above, however the design gives it the illusion of being longer. Notice how the mouthpiece was changed to be flush with the bamboo.

8c7jNEQ.jpg

Last edited:

Derrrpp

For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
Wow, that is beautiful, @Dan Morrison! I'm loving the revised stem with the inlay and flush mouthpiece! I keep thinking that the Okin is as close to perfect as it's going to get, and then you manage to improve on it!

It's looking awfully close now... My money is burning a hole in my pocket :brow: -- but I can wait, you can't rush perfection lol

I know this has been said before, but you truly are an artist of the highest caliber! I'm looking forward to more updates! :cool:

Top Bottom