The Official FC Pets & Animals thread

Tweek

Can't fault the beast for being...well, a beast. Dogs may be domesticated, but they still require respect and care, no matter the breed.

Sad that people get so caught up in sensationalism that they forget common sense and want to wipe out an entire breed of dog.

Seren

Away with the fairies
I'm a Am Staff Lover-they are my favorite breed. As usual it's genetics AND how you raise any dogs. ;)

Unfortunately, Staffies have a bad reputation here in the UK. As you say, they're generally such a loyal, loving breed of dog - perfect family pets - but a small minority of owners who use them as some sort of status symbol or for dog fighting have led to them being feared by many. Our dog shelters are full of them, it's just so sad.

Sad that people get so caught up in sensationalism that they forget common sense and want to wipe out an entire breed of dog.

Which is exactly what is happening to Pitbulls - as I'm sure most of you know, they're a banned breed here. I've heard some heart-wrenching stories in the news where cross breeds considered to have Pitbull traits have been taken away from their families and destroyed, despite never showing any aggression whatsoever - it stinks! :(

Dr. Plutonious

In Vancouver fortunately most breeds are received well here. I know West Vancouver used to have some weird breed specific laws to it, but idk if they still do. The rest of Vancouver is quite accepting though, you can see pitbulls, american bulldogs, and all sorts of mastiffs out on walks regularly.

Also, have you guys heard of this breed before? It's one of my favourites (based on appearance).

Caucasian-Shepherd-1.png

xenafied.png

The mighty Caucasian Shepard.

Definitely not a dog for an owner who has never owned a serious mastiff-type breed before. These dogs fall into the 'Livestock Guardian Dog (LGD)' category. This means they were meant to live with a herd of animals and protect it from potential robbers or predators. This is part of the reason these dogs can weigh up to 200 pounds (males are about 140-180 on average). They have a low prey drive (they don't chase much, little interest in that), but have extremely high defensive drives. They are loyal to their pack and their herd, anything else is a potential threat.

They are a very primitive dog, not many breeders at all here in North America, so poor breeding hasn't been too big of an issue yet. There's a National Geographic on it but it's quite biased against the breed, making them seem like wild super dogs capable of swallowing a bear whole. The reality is they are a dog and while their protective instincts are extremely strong (meaning you will always need to take care...you kind of have to with a 180 pound dog), proper socialization will help to teach with the difference between a threat and someone walking down the street. I've heard they can make really good family dogs. With the family they are extremely gentle and delicate.

This honestly is why dogs are my favourite animals. It's amazing what purposes they were bred for over the years and how that shapes their personalities.

Last edited by a moderator:

2 Paces

Do we have any fans of Mastiff dog breeds on this forum?

This was our girl:
get-attachmentaspx-Copy.jpg

She was a rescue dog in the truest sense of the word. My wife worked at a vet office, and the dog was brought in to be destroyed if no one would take her. She had more problems than I can list (yes, she is missing an eye), but lasted far longer than anyone expected.

She was an amazing dog.

Boy did she love Christmas :lol:

Love all dogs myself,that's why i'll never understand the practice of docking...:mad:
Cutting off perfectly good bits of your (pet)dog for fashion/making it look scary or worse for fightingpurposes is for complete assholes and i personally would never even show pics of dogs that have been mutilated in this fashion.
Thankfully the practice has been outlawed here,which it should be everywhere of course.

grokit

well-worn member
Baby white lion trying to roar will break your adorable-meter

This baby lion’s attempts at getting attention are super cute, even if they aren’t exactly the kind of roar Katy Perry had in mind (or this guy for that matter):

According to the AP, the unnamed little lion was born at Serbia’s Belgrade Zoo two weeks ago and weighs fewer than three pounds. Adds Gawker:

Apparently white lions are a rare mutation of a species found in South Africa and “are traditionally considered divine.” They are also no longer found in the wild because their coloring makes them easy prey.

The lion cub is more petulant than she is fearsome — she sounds like a disgruntled lamb-cat. We don’t speak baby lion, but we think she’s saying, “Where’s mom? Get her outta that sad-looking enclosure!”

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
He's not quite the little guy he thinks he is, but he still hugs me :)

G18gto9.jpg

Nap time after running around chasing squirrels!

Xrs1oyv.jpg

I only mind him doing this when he's dirty... Which happens a lot considering he spends about half his time smelling EVERYTHING HE POSSIBLY CAN!

N4SVtfD.jpg

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
They're Jack - Chi's. Half Jack Russell half Chihuahua. Then I have my cranky old man Ben, a cairn terrier I rescued from Mississippi after Katrina.

Asher, I found him in a card board box at a gas station when he was a baby.

SAM_0067_zps5c29b4f8.jpg

And here's Ben - my right hand at the office.

420d0a6f-519c-4e9c-b77c-320ef4020556_zps01680faa.jpg

grokit

well-worn member
Cosmo's the size of a raccoon so he's not a lap cat by any means. But if I recline he jumps up on my chest and lays on me, literally heart-to heart purring while nuzzling my ear.

He shows his affection in other ways too; the other day he brought in a live bird. I didn't even notice until he let it go and it started flying around inside the fucking house.
:love:

TechnicalToker

I agree with the bully breeds getting a bad rap. I have a Boston Bull. 50 lbs of complete fury when he gets wound up. With him its, me (alpha), him, then everybody else. He bangs and crashes into everything. BUT the absolute best dog and hes still fairly young. 2.5 yrs.

Top Bottom