• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The Official FC Pets & Animals thread

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
IAms mini Chunks are what my Chinook eats due to being born with mega-esophagus. She seems to be thriving on it the last few years.

Can't help you on brands(i'm over in Europe and feed my dog frozen,raw foodmixes),but i would recommend when you switch brands to do it gradually over a period of 4,5 days at least(so start with 4/5th old +1/5th new and only give just new at the end of these 5 days/week).
That might prevent future 'bit too liquid bowelmovements'.;)
As for the name i'd pick something you don't mind shouting at full volume down the street...:D

Ps Just saw this somewhere else :
h94B602D1

:lol:

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
@arf777, I have compared the two, and have found that the Nutra Nuggets brand of pet food
approximates the Kirkland (Costco) brand exactly, it's probably from the same plant.
My girls have gone back and forth between the two brands their whole lives.

Also I like Cy, but I've read that dogs respond best to simple two-syllable names.
Hard syllables, so not like Cyrus but more like Ringo for example.
But he'll probably respond to Cyrus before he will to Cy.

edit:
Gh9UR70.jpg

"My local rescue has a program called Book Buddies where kids read to sheltered cats to sooth them"

Last edited:

arf777

No longer dogless
Can't help you on brands(i'm over in Europe and feed my dog frozen,raw foodmixes),but i would recommend when you switch brands to do it gradually over a period of 4,5 days at least(so start with 4/5th old +1/5th new and only give just new at the end of these 5 days/week).
That might prevent future 'bit too liquid bowelmovements'.;)
As for the name i'd pick something you don't mind shouting at full volume down the street...:D

Ps Just saw this somewhere else :
h94B602D1

:lol:
That is an important name consideration. For 23 years my parents had a cat named Little Fuck. She bit my sister when a kitten, who responded by yelling "You little fuck". The name stuck. Quite a few times we had to chase her around the vet's office yelling "Little Fuck! Little Fuck!"

I normally would never switch food as quickly as I did this time. Just could not find the food he's been on anywhere I could get to.

Unfortunately Nutra Nuggets aren't available in my area either. Though I got a name of a store that may carry Diamond Naturals, who are made by the same company that makes the Costco. Been seriously considering making his food myself. Then no worries about a brand not being carried by a local store anymore or changing its recipe.

Enchantre

Oil Painter
I'm of the strong opinion that animals should NOT eat people food.

Granted, I'm not trying to feed a largish dog, but I would avoid anything containing grain. Absolutely. While dogs tend to be more flexible with their diet than cats are, they still do better with a diet that closely aligns with what they'd be eating in the wild.

Find a good pet store that carries frozen meat, bones, and completely grain free kibbles.

I have a friend who feeds his great dane fresh chicken (from Costco).

Bones are good for dogs, as long as they are raw. Cooked bones cause intestinal damage. A big, gnarly bone, like a knuckle, or a leg bone section, are great for dogs to gnaw on. Lots of "meaty bones" are usually available. You can even check with a local butcher. We have several in the area that have leg bones "for pets" available all the time.

Resp problems are set off by sensitivities, and fluid retention. I find grain - even rice - can start that chain reaction.

Even amongst "good" brands, that have no grain, there are variations. Some of the veggies they add, or the fruit (seriously? like cats & dogs go berry picking?), may be an issue. My cats eat mostly raw, frozen rabbit. One brand, with almost identical ingredients, sets off one of my cats' nausea. The other, no problems at all.

Oh, and good pet stores (I'm thinking NOT a chain, but your local "boutique" pet shop) will let you buy/get samples of food, will take back food your pup can't tolerate, and will discuss at great length feedback they've gotten from pet owners.

arf777

No longer dogless
I'm of the strong opinion that animals should NOT eat people food.

Granted, I'm not trying to feed a largish dog, but I would avoid anything containing grain. Absolutely. While dogs tend to be more flexible with their diet than cats are, they still do better with a diet that closely aligns with what they'd be eating in the wild.

Find a good pet store that carries frozen meat, bones, and completely grain free kibbles.

I have a friend who feeds his great dane fresh chicken (from Costco).

Bones are good for dogs, as long as they are raw. Cooked bones cause intestinal damage. A big, gnarly bone, like a knuckle, or a leg bone section, are great for dogs to gnaw on. Lots of "meaty bones" are usually available. You can even check with a local butcher. We have several in the area that have leg bones "for pets" available all the time.

Resp problems are set off by sensitivities, and fluid retention. I find grain - even rice - can start that chain reaction.

Even amongst "good" brands, that have no grain, there are variations. Some of the veggies they add, or the fruit (seriously? like cats & dogs go berry picking?), may be an issue. My cats eat mostly raw, frozen rabbit. One brand, with almost identical ingredients, sets off one of my cats' nausea. The other, no problems at all.

Oh, and good pet stores (I'm thinking NOT a chain, but your local "boutique" pet shop) will let you buy/get samples of food, will take back food your pup can't tolerate, and will discuss at great length feedback they've gotten from pet owners.

Not as sure as you about the grains. Recent work on wolf and other wild canid behavior has shown that one of the first things they go after when they've taken an ungulate is the fermentation chambers, which they tear open and eat all the grasses and grains out of. Closest to cooked grain as exists in nature. Plus recent evidence that dog domestication began a whopping 40,000 years ago, not the previously thought 10,000. WE didn't eat grains yet 40,000 years ago, but we eat them fine now, and apparently canids have been with us for the entire period we adapted to doing so.

But I am definitely going to the nearest boutique pet store for help. It's over an hour away, but worth it - they have a huge selection and very knowledgeable employees. And they do give samples. I plan to try grain-free as well as more typical ones, and whichever he likes and adapts to the best, I'll stick with.

Cyrus Jaxartes is definitely doing better than he was when on just the chicken-based food. But I am having more trouble housebreaking him than I've had with either of my two most recent previous dogs. Some of it is definitely personality - he just shat inside right after a walk, but not he walk he got distracted by a couple of friendly stray cats. He seems to be especially distractible on walks. But until this past Friday, he lived in a place with a fenced yard and a doggy door. While I have no yard but a huge development to walk him in. I think he's still adapting to the idea of going when he is outside or letting me know he needs to go, as opposed to going out through a dog door whenever he feels the need to relieve himself. Never had to housebreak a dog who had lived in that kind of set up before.

arf777,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

arf777

No longer dogless
My new pup, Cyrus Jaxartes, has been on a bit of a tear. He broke my Early Bird straight-neck HT (had a growth spurt and could suddenly reach where it was), stole a pack of smokes which he promptly ruined, and then an hour ago peed on my foot. To give him the benefit of the doubt, I had fallen asleep in my chair and he may have been signaling he needed to go.

He is a cutey but DAMN I forgot how destructive a puppy can be. Peed in my backpack during the big snowstorm this week. Managed to only hit a stack of SCOTUS opinions, and i don't disagree with the sentiment. They were nasty ones - Iqbal, Mississippi ex rel Hood, Citizens United.

arf777

No longer dogless
AAAAARGH!!!! Puppy just broke ANOTHER Bates turbine, taking me from three to one in just two weeks. This time I really don't know how he did it. My phase 2 Hitman turbine tube was securely wedged against a table leg, where the puppy has been unable to knock it over for weeks. Now he knocks it over and breaks it.

At least I think I can repair this one. Just the stemless stem is broken, and it was mostly the join that came off. I think my local LHS can fix it. But Cyrus seems to have it in for my daily driver glass. Never had another dog do this much glass damage so quickly - I haven't even had him a month yet. My cat, yes, but not another dog.

Good thing he's cute.

arf777

No longer dogless
Back for more advice re the puppy. In the past 24 hours, he has shit inside right after being walked, pissed in his crate, then shat in his crate, where I found him apparently happily lying in his own shit and piss only a couple of hours after my dog walker had walked him. I have never had a puppy sit in their own crap before. When they'd gone in their crate, my previous guys had then sat as far away from it in the crate as possible. Not Cyrus. Hell, he shat in his own food dish.

I am starting to be very concerned. Even my dog walker, who found him in his own urine today, was troubled by how unbothered by it the pup was and how resistant he was to relieving himself while on his walk.

Is this normal for some puppies, and I have just gotten lucky before? I have never seen it before, but this is only the 4th puppy I've had to housebreak. But in a human, not being bothered by their own excrement can be a sign of a serious neurological problem. Has me very worried. Not to mention frustrated.

arf777,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Back for more advice re the puppy. In the past 24 hours, he has shit inside right after being walked, pissed in his crate, then shat in his crate, where I found him apparently happily lying in his own shit and piss only a couple of hours after my dog walker had walked him. I have never had a puppy sit in their own crap before. When they'd gone in their crate, my previous guys had then sat as far away from it in the crate as possible. Not Cyrus. Hell, he shat in his own food dish.

I am starting to be very concerned. Even my dog walker, who found him in his own urine today, was troubled by how unbothered by it the pup was and how resistant he was to relieving himself while on his walk.

Is this normal for some puppies, and I have just gotten lucky before? I have never seen it before, but this is only the 4th puppy I've had to housebreak. But in a human, not being bothered by their own excrement can be a sign of a serious neurological problem. Has me very worried. Not to mention frustrated.
I've always heard that dogs will avoid their own waste. And have found that to be true with all my dogs. But I am no expert. @VaporsVaporizer would be a good person to get into this conversation.....

Good luck with your puppy arf777. I know how frustrated you must be.

grokit

well-worn member
Yeah I can't even imagine, my runts were so non-territorial when they arrived @ four months old it was like they were pre-housebroken even though they grew up in an outdoor pen.

Does the puppy seem intelligent otherwise? If so it could be an illness, or even an emotional issue.

Top Bottom