The Nomad From Morwood

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
Stock stem fits right into a 14mm female pretty nicely.
Nice to know @duff .
Just for clarity, by "fits" you refer to 'user holds in place', as opposed to 'GonG style self supporting joint', yeah?

I must confess that I doubt I'll be employing a bubbler often myself, so the former would be fine.
I thought I'd be using my Mi through water, but I found that I mostly prefer a straight wood stem.

Can't wait to experience how the Nomad tastes.

little maggie

Thanks. I am fine using screens that are not glass and the top hats never worked for me. But when I've used one like Alan's I put a bit of cotton or some other fiber over the glass to prevent particles.
I don't use a bubbler but I hope that a whip will be an option with the supplied stem or an alternative.

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
So it seems better to order in addition 2,3 stems as replacement?
@Dan Morrison , what's about some coloured ones? Otherwise I haven't seen coloured ones with really nice colours and it would be hard to find a coulour pairing to the Nomad w/o damaging it's appeal over all :hmm:

Hogni,

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
In comparison the OD of my 14mm MVT stem is 11.80mm when measuring the straight tube part.

Hmmmm...your outside diameter of your 14mm stem is smaller, at only 11.8mm? I don't follow. :hmm::hmm::hmm:

Or did you intend to say that the ID of your 14mm stem is smaller, at only 11.8mm? :shrug:

Fat Freddy,

namasteIII

@duff Thanks for your continued posting of videos and such, its nice for us nomad waiters. And golly you scared me good when you so confidently plopped the nomad back into the glass joint. I guess it's secure but scary stuff for such a premium, elusive vape. Cheers and thanks, keep the content coming our way!

little maggie

Sorry to be stupid but I have trouble translating these things some time. Which measurement is for the part of the stem that has herb in it and goes directly into the heat?

little maggie,
Reactions: Hogni

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Mine has finally arrived, won't take any pictures until I'm using a better camera bc it would just be cruel... I'll be able to soon enough though

All I did was press the button a little and can see it takes a lot of pressure so we'll see how it goes as I've been having some hand issues lately

I will say it looks amazing and is going to be hard to use mainly because it is just so nice and pristine! The paint job is truly incredible

I haven't even unpacked the rest but I will say the folded tape tabs are a nice helpful touch too!

little maggie

Mine has finally arrived, won't take any pictures until I'm using a better camera because it would just be cruel... I will be able to do that soon enough though

All I did was press the button a little and can see it takes a lot of pressure so we'll see how it goes as I've been having some hand issues lately

I will say it looks amazing and is going to be hard to use just because it is so nice and pristine! The paint job is incredible

I haven't even unpacked the rest but I will say the folded tape tabs are a nice helpful touch!
I thought the hand pressure was going to be fixed. I've had to give away a couple of vapes that required that.

little maggie,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I thought the hand pressure was going to be fixed. I've had to give away a couple of vapes that required that.

Folks have said it breaks in don't go by my literally first impression!

I see only The Nomad had the folded tape tabs, unpacking the rest now

Wow first hit off what I think was the lower heat module was fast and thick! I am good with a slow draw I suppose... Definitely taste that fresh Walnut, it will break in like my Lily I'm sure... Still can't get over this craftsmanship, I know we all know it and to be prepared for it, but you really can't until you see it in person...

oh and this stem definitely is unique I know someone mentioned it but it really is longer than you expect since so much as inside the body. Mine also didn't have the heater screen installed so I guess I am doing the to screen system here since I'm not sure I want to install one myself... I haven't looked in the other accessories yet though so that may have a screen and instructions... It is nice to not have to worry about any bits falling out this way, but it is more tedious to load and unload

Last edited:

Vaporware

This was one of the last Nomads from the first batch, so the tweaks the second batch will have aren’t all done at this point.

Dan was looking into a softer spring option though, and I’m pretty sure he intends to have it ready before the second batch is done, so you should be able to get yours with a softer spring.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Hey Everyone! I am back, and back to the grind, refreshed!

About the glass stems. The glass is SIMAX brand by Kavalier, a high quality European glass producer.

They are 14mm Outside Diameter, with a tolerance range of +- 0.18mm on the diameter. So 13.85mm, or 13.9mm are within spec.

All glass will have a tolerance range for the outside diameter. Depending on the source of your glass tubing, you may find that 14mm tubing can be anywhere between 13.5mm and 14.5mm depending on the tolerance range deemed acceptable by that glass producer.

Any additional processing that you do to glass will have an effect on the size. It's difficult to achieve perfect size when you're working with hot glass tube.

A glass stem with an integrated glass screen will have gone through an additional hot working step in order to fuse the two glass components into one. This extra step will add more variations to the outside diameter. So, I have been hesitant about sourcing such a stem for the Nomad. Those with Arizer stems will know that their stems can exhibit a pretty large range of sizes... and either fit loose or tight in the same device.

Some people will find that an Arizer style stem will fit the Nomad, while others might find that they don't. It really depends on the stem itself.

Going back to whether or not this or that stem will fit inside the Nomad... well, it's really a crapshoot. In theory, any 14mm diameter tube should fit. But in reality, it may not.

To add to the confusion, A glass straight stem, with a 14 taper fused onto the end of it, does not necessarily have a 14mm outside diameter for the straight segment of the glass tube. Again, this depends on the original manufacturer.

Another point of note is wall thickness. A 14 taper will most likely be fused to a straight glass segment that has a 2mm thick wall. I use 1.5mm thick wall tube for the stock Nomad stem. Giving an herb chamber diameter of 11mm on the inside. With a taper joint stem, you'd most likely be looking at a 10mm herb chamber diameter on the inside, so... a smaller bowl.

A better solution for adapting the Nomad to watertools is to make a wood or Delrin adapter that fits into the stock glass stems. That way we can keep the original 11mm inside diameter for the herb chamber, and we don't need to worry about the difficulty in manufacturing an all glass stem + taper joint in one.

This way you can have....say.. 5 stock stems... and two adapters, one for 14 taper and one for 18 taper.

The cost would most likely even out.

About the button springs. I found some suitable springs, one gives 30% reduction in spring pressure, and one gives 70% reduction. So that should cover a range. Hard (stock spring), Medium, and Soft.

I will make the new springs available once I give them a little testing. Should be fine.

Hogni

Good to hear that you had a refreshing vaccation! Delrin adapter sounds interesting.
Any plans on coloured stems?

Hogni,

Bdubbdiblets

Hey Everyone! I am back, and back to the grind, refreshed!

About the glass stems. The glass is SIMAX brand by Kavalier, a high quality European glass producer.

They are 14mm Outside Diameter, with a tolerance range of +- 0.18mm on the diameter. So 13.85mm, or 13.9mm are within spec.

All glass will have a tolerance range for the outside diameter. Depending on the source of your glass tubing, you may find that 14mm tubing can be anywhere between 13.5mm and 14.5mm depending on the tolerance range deemed acceptable by that glass producer.

Any additional processing that you do to glass will have an effect on the size. It's difficult to achieve perfect size when you're working with hot glass tube.

A glass stem with an integrated glass screen will have gone through an additional hot working step in order to fuse the two glass components into one. This extra step will add more variations to the outside diameter. So, I have been hesitant about sourcing such a stem for the Nomad. Those with Arizer stems will know that their stems can exhibit a pretty large range of sizes... and either fit loose or tight in the same device.

Some people will find that an Arizer style stem will fit the Nomad, while others might find that they don't. It really depends on the stem itself.

Going back to whether or not this or that stem will fit inside the Nomad... well, it's really a crapshoot. In theory, any 14mm diameter tube should fit. But in reality, it may not.

To add to the confusion, A glass straight stem, with a 14 taper fused onto the end of it, does not necessarily have a 14mm outside diameter for the straight segment of the glass tube. Again, this depends on the original manufacturer.

Another point of note is wall thickness. A 14 taper will most likely be fused to a straight glass segment that has a 2mm thick wall. I use 1.5mm thick wall tube for the stock Nomad stem. Giving an herb chamber diameter of 11mm on the inside. With a taper joint stem, you'd most likely be looking at a 10mm herb chamber diameter on the inside, so... a smaller bowl.

A better solution for adapting the Nomad to watertools is to make a wood or Delrin adapter that fits into the stock glass stems. That way we can keep the original 11mm inside diameter for the herb chamber, and we don't need to worry about the difficulty in manufacturing an all glass stem + taper joint in one.

This way you can have....say.. 5 stock stems... and two adapters, one for 14 taper and one for 18 taper.

The cost would most likely even out.

About the button springs. I found some suitable springs, one gives 30% reduction in spring pressure, and one gives 70% reduction. So that should cover a range. Hard (stock spring), Medium, and Soft.

I will make the new springs available once I give them a little testing. Should be fine.
I'm thinking wood stem? Perhaps a task for @Alan :shrug: as if he's not busy enough....I also specialize in the getting medicated part of this whole thing so I could be crazy to even go there....

Either way welcome back @Dan Morrison and can't wait for progress picks!!

:rockon:

Bdubbdiblets,

Hogni

Wood has it's own taste which disturbs the flavour. Ever tried a ebonite mp? But I guess it'd too much material needed for a stem like this?

Last edited:
Hogni,
Reactions: KeroZen

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
@Dan Morrison : ah so you order 14mm tubes and discard the ones that are too wide? I tried inserting my 14mm joint MVT stem but it didn't go very far. The widest part of the joint must be more than 14mm as I can't get it past the wood collar and o-rings.

KeroZen,

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@Hogni , Why ebonite? I know that it's the traditional material for tobacco pipe stems, but I think that modern materials may offer up some advantages over ol' ebonite.

For fancy lookin' options, Acrylic or Ultem would give a cool look.

@Dan Morrison : ah so you order 14mm tubes and discard the ones that are too wide? I tried inserting my 14mm joint MVT stem but it didn't go very far. The widest part of the joint must be more than 14mm as I can't get it past the wood collar and o-rings.

I order 14mm, and all of the stems fit just fine so far. The O-Rings are OK with a bit of variation in the OD of the glass. This SIMAX glass is fairly tight tolerance from the factory in my experience.

The MVT 14mm taper joint is most likely larger than 14mm. A quick search showed a spec sheet that listed a 14.5mm diameter at the large end for 14/20 and 14/23 joints. I am sure they vary by manufacturer also.

There is another type of O-Ring, with a star-shaped cross section instead of round, that's supposed to allow for an even greater OD tolerance range because these O-Rings are able to deform more. I will be testing them out shortly. They might allow for a tiny bit of extra wiggle room for fitting other glass stems.

Top Bottom