The Nomad From Morwood

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@KeroZen Oh my god... when I saw your photo of the shipping box filled with garbage, my heart sank... all I could think of was... DID I DO THAT?! I couldn't have.... could I? Maybe I just wasn't paying attention when I packed it all up...ye..wait..no..noooo that can't be... let me read the post......... oh. HAH!

@delloy , Ouch... sorry about the customs man, that's a first for me I think. That's brutal! Those photos look awesome though, thanks!! And yeah.. the gold ink is something that just can't be appreciated in photos, irl it just pops! I love how it looks different from every angle.

@KeroZen Those photos are wicked! I love the comparisons! That's just something I couldn't have seen on my own... so it's really cool. Thanks for showing off the stem like you have, I think it's one of the more subtle but important design points that's not immediately obvious when looking at the Nomad when it's all put together.

And you bring up an excellent point about the draw restriction. For many people it's something that takes a little getting used to.

The bottom hole in the wooden base can be partially restricted to provide some draw restriction. I experimented with making a sort of plug that fits in there, with adjustable hole diameters to change the restriction.... but in the end I found that, for me, I liked the open draw the best, and found it much easier to regulate the draw with my lungs... that way you can start slow and low, then ramp up your draw speed as everything heats up.

Anyhow, thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and first impressions. It's really surreal to see these out in the wild, it's been a blast to sit here and read your posts, I feel so happy to have found such an awesome community of like-minded people! :cheers:

marduk

daydreamer
This is why I got fantastic results and cloudage right from my first session! Incredible and way better than I imagined. No struggling with the manual regulation, no scorching, just perfect, Zion-style. The load came out super light tan, not a single speck of dark brown, yet I was completely wasted and deemed it cashed and to to ABV bin it went!

Are these results with the medium-low or medium-high heater?

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
@marduk: I went with the med-low for that first session. I don't think, for my particular usage pattern and draw speed, that I would need more power. But I don't have iron lungs and use all my vapes dry, so that answer would be moot for anyone used to large water tools etc, where the other heater would surely be a must to cope with higher air flow rates?

And we could envision monster heaters too for those interested, those cells we use can go safely to 18A for the kind of short bursts we do, we got plenty of untapped power left.

@namasteIII: too soon to say after a single session, but mine was superbly uniform. The extra screen could indeed have a diffusion effect. That's something some of us experimented early on in the Project thread: using deflectors/reflectors to avoid the dreadful center hotspot tendency of many convection vapes.

I need to push it harder to see whether it has any kind of unevenness.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
FYI, I have been using the Nomad with a screen firmly fitted into the body, and no top screen in the stem. I really like it! It does seem easier. And no negative effect on performance.

Seems so simple and a no brainer now... Just goes to show how important it is to have others critique your work.

Also, it's totally interesting to hear reports on the two heater modules, I think it's going to highlight how different all of our usage patterns are.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
While I completely respect keeping these things in great shape, I fully intend to honor the maker's wishes and treat mine like a companion to get beat up with me through life. I am proud to present a little wear and tear!

wGwusiM.jpg

For those wanting usage reports...be patient. Some might not be using them for a while, others are dialing it in. It's an unregulated on-demand portable that didn't go through beta testing, so we're playing with load size and configuration, which batteries to use, as well as draw and button technique, not to mention there are two heaters. One thing I do feel confident in saying...Dan's vapes can't possibly perform as well as they look, because I don't own a vape that performs as well as this vape looks!

Last night I had one bowl with the low heater and got some nice, tasty hits with that full-convection signature that leaves me with a real hunger pang in my stomach and a fun light-headedness. I've yet to give the hot heater a go. But I can tell already that it can be dialed in to anyone's liking.

RelaxedNow

At last!

I’ve been reading the posts from those who have received their Nomads, and wondering when mine would show up. Finally (6 days from Chicago to Seattle area), #13, nicknamed “Lucky”, arrived in today’s mail. Obviously, I opened the box as soon as I had a moment.

It’s beautiful, yet so simple in design. The latter is one aspect of the former, but we all know simple design is never easily accomplished. Dan’s diligence has paid off big-time.

Having a MVT and a Tubo, I knew right away I wanted to use my preferred screen setup; one screen in the body and one in the stem. After removing one screen, and pushing the other to the end of the stem, I partially flattened the removed screen, inserted it with my fingers (and a little help from a pencil eraser) to get it started well, then pushed it against the body’s stop with a stem. It went in easily, with only a couple of quick attempts at getting it started in the proper orientation.

I’ve not even finished the first stem, and I’m already impressed. It took me about 4 or 5 draws to realize that Dan’s advice to draw SLOWLY to get the best results was REALLY on-point. Of course, that was with the low-med heater. I’m anxious to try the med-high heater, but I’m too busy to get couch-locked, so it’ll have to wait. I should mention that I got huge clouds with the slow draw, and no combustion.

I can’t imagine anyone being disappointed with the Nomad unless they just flat out don’t care at all for convection or manual control. Of course, as has been said already, there likely will be a small learning curve for anyone not familiar with manual convection devices. It’s well worth learning though, and not that hard.

By the way, I’ve already knocked it off my desk, with a stem inserted. Fortunately, it landed well. Maybe Lucky has a cat’s 9 lives. :dog:

THIS THING IS SO COOL!!

Pics later.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I just had my first stem with the screen in the unit and love it. That’s the way I’ll go...arizer style. I’m on the hot heater now and it’s a very noticeable difference. I still haven’t combusted - a weakness of mine with unregulated vapes. Effects are strong and remind me of the Zion. Great job, Dan!

marduk

daydreamer
So... I'm one of the three orders with custom work that didn't go out with the main shipment. I missed Dan's message early this afternoon, or my Nomad would have been shipped today. But tomorrow it should be on its way!

He went above and beyond what I expected based on the pics I sent him, and that's an understatement. I was having some Nomad paper envy after seeing some of the paper choices compared to the relatively plain paper I chose, but I have no more envy after seeing what Dan did. And apparently the play of light and shadow in the carving is even better looking in person.

Me very happy. Thank you, @Dan Morrison! :bowdown:

ZEheoI9.jpg

c6xORbM.jpg

VAPEHUNTER

So... I'm one of the three orders with custom work that didn't go out with the main shipment. I missed Dan's message early this afternoon, or my Nomad would have been shipped today. But tomorrow it should be on its way!

He went above and beyond what I expected based on the pics I sent him, and that's an understatement. I was having some Nomad paper envy after seeing some of the paper choices compared to the relatively plain paper I chose, but I have no more envy after seeing what Dan did. And apparently the play of light and shadow in the carving is even better looking in person.

Me very happy. Thank you, @Dan Morrison! :bowdown:

ZEheoI9.jpg

c6xORbM.jpg

W:whoa:W!!!
@marduk Your Nomad is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Top Bottom