The Nomad From Morwood

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Thanks for all the sweet comments everyone! :)

Hopefully I've gotten back to everyone who messaged me, but if I missed anyone just give me a nudge! haha.

I am sure that some of you are confused about the ordering process, and I don't blame ya! It's been a while since the process was laid out. So here is an updated time-line.

Feb. - First 25 Orders go out, and the reserve list of 25 orders will be taken via email (I'll email ya).
May - Jun. - Reserve list of 25 orders ship.

After that, I'll be taking a new batch, chosen from the mailing list. I have two mailing lists for the Nomad, one is about 100 people who got in on the early-bird list (anyone who was added to the list before the pre-orders were taken). The other list is everyone after that point.

Instead of the wild-west-draw style refresh your browser 1000 times a second to reply to my email way of picking names, I'll be doing a new style. It seems like a lot of people got shafted with that method... people were on vacation..or busy working/sleeping...or slow internet...it was a flawed system!

So, I'll just take names of everyone who is ready to get a Nomad that month. From those names, I'll be doing a random draw. I will give greater chance to those on the early-bird list. Essentially, if you've been waiting longer, you'll have much greater chances. And If you're incredibly unlucky I'll probably just give you a damn spot because you deserve it... haha.

Anyhow... feel free to critique that system, we have time to tweak it!

p.s. - My expectation is that the time it takes to make a batch of 25 will go down month to month, and my ultimate goal is 25 a month. For now I am being conservative with the reserve list batch shipment date.

I've learned so much about the production process with this first batch, and now that all of the hard trail-blazing is complete it should be smooth sailing.

Last edited:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Two days until February, that's all I retained from your post!

domo-dancing.jpg

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
This is one of those things where I just have to make myself forget it exists. Every couple months I can't help myself and stumble into this thread and look at all the incredible pictures and progress...and then I can't stop thinking about it for days. This will probably be the coolest thing in general I've ever purchased when my name finally gets picked.

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Dan, what's about your heater technology? I've read Ryan (Rastabuddhatao) is going on collabs regarding his patented heater technology. I don't know but may be worth a thought?

Hogni,

Kalessin

Dan, what's about your heater technology? I've read Ryan (Rastabuddhatao) is going on collabs regarding his patented heater technology. I don't know but may be worth a thought?
Ryan already reached out to him once on this thread earlier on, but I think Dan decided he'd rather build his own heaters and have it be it's own unique device rather than use someone else's design

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
..or is pending at least.

Do you know first hand? or are you only reporting rbt words?

Also, i do believe Dan is going to produce a stellar vape, really magnificent. I do believe heater will be on par, so why bother?

Last edited:

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@Hogni ,

The subject of heater technology is a funny thing. I think of it more as heater geometry.

I outlined the heater earlier in the thread.

Here is my prototype heater that's been in long-term use. I'll share this, instead of my production unit, for now, so as to save the 'big reveal'. The production heaters are identical in coil design, but the shell and center pin construction has been changed to only use 316 stainless. The production heaters are also tidied up, not so crude looking.

OkSlWID.jpg

The geometry is a crimped ribbon pattern wound into a spiral.

A heater patent, for me, would be useless. Patents are only as strong as your ability to protect them. Vaporizers are produced on a global scale.

Generally I believe that open source design is a positive thing. It's better to be protected in other ways... it could be your quality of craftsmanship.. branding.. first to market.. etc. Proprietary technology leads to stagnation.

@Kalessin, That's correct. Also, nothing against his heater, it's super dope, but I had already put a ton of work into my own design at that point, it was the only way forward.

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
Patents are only as strong as your ability to protect them.

Which can be time consuming and expensive as well.

It's better to be protected in other ways... it could be your quality of craftsmanship.. branding.. first to market.. etc.

Quality indeed...who has the talent and resources to compete with: Our Man Dan?!

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Last edited:

radiant34

@Hogni ,

The subject of heater technology is a funny thing. I think of it more as heater geometry.

I outlined the heater earlier in the thread.

Here is my prototype heater that's been in long-term use. I'll share this, instead of my production unit, for now, so as to save the 'big reveal'. The production heaters are identical in coil design, but the shell and center pin construction has been changed to only use 316 stainless. The production heaters are also tidied up, not so crude looking.

OkSlWID.jpg

The geometry is a crimped ribbon pattern wound into a spiral.

A heater patent, for me, would be useless. Patents are only as strong as your ability to protect them. Vaporizers are produced on a global scale.

Generally I believe that open source design is a positive thing. It's better to be protected in other ways... it could be your quality of craftsmanship.. branding.. first to market.. etc. Proprietary technology leads to stagnation.

@Kalessin, That's correct. Also, nothing against his heater, it's super dope, but I had already put a ton of work into my own design at that point, it was the only way forward.
Good thing you aren't putting a pattent on the heater geometries. The design on that bad boy is very though out. And will definitely shape the standard for the next vapes. The middle rod and the shape of the coil will provide even heat distribution that a lot of these one hitters convection vapes seem to be missing

SirCrackKillaH

This is beautiful :D these are beautiful. I had no idea anyone was making something like this. Awesome :D
I was just made aware of this device through the vlf and quite honestly I hadn’t seen anything quite like it before. That Milaana thingamavape is cool and all but this man.. this looks totally custom bro. I don’t have the time to go through the 50+ pages right yet but I probably will lol
For me, I’m a little burned out with buying vapes too right now but this thing just made me pop wood for wood >.< yoooooo love it man. I’m looking at the woods and what look kinda like wraps. These are chill.... yehhhh.. what do these cost ballpark?

Last edited:

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
I think Ryan posted a copy of his patient to IG.

Yeah he did post the top portion referring to it as a provisional patent . Now provisional patents lasts for a year only . I did ask in the RBT Open Source project (formerly diy milaana thread) if a non-provisional patent had been secured. I did not get an answer but rather I was asked to remain and be positive or start my own thread if not satisfied.

I asked that question because in the opening sentence of the opening post of that thread , the heater is referred to has patent pending .

I did ask FC to verify if he does hold proper patent .

Below is From upcounsel.com

-A provisional patent application is not a "real" patent because once the application is submitted, it is not reviewed, and no patent is issued. Instead, a provisional patent is just a record that claims you were the first to claim rights to your product or idea. Eventually, you will need to submit a utility patent or design patent application to get issued one of these nonprovisional patents for your product or concept.

A provisional patent preserves your patent rights for one year. This buys you time to consult with an attorney and convert your application to a regular, nonprovisional patent application.

• Can I say, "Patent Pending," before submitting a patent application?
No. You are misleading the public if you put a patent pending notice on any product that does not have a patent application submitted to the USPTO. If the government finds out, you can be sued and be liable for damages of $500 per instance of the notice. This is not a risk you should take.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@Mulchmaker , No olivewood Nomads yet, open to the idea. It's a nice lookin wood!

I just signed up to Instagram, I'll be active there for all my daily workshop and behind the scenes updates. So come join me if you're interested!

@morwoodco instagram.com/morwoodco

Otherwise, I'll still be posting all the Nomad photo updates here, so nothing has changed in that regard.

Top Bottom