• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The Nomad From Morwood

Verax

@Dan Morrison thank you so much for the detailed reply!

I had figured out moving the chamber further from the heater, and some of the regular vaping tricks.
I had not thought of using a lower capacity / lesser charged battery. Great tip.

all that said, I would love to get a low heater from you I think, assuming you have one. :)

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I have to be honest...I've used the low temp heater twice in the first few days, and I found it to extract way too slowly. I've only used the high-temp heater since then, and I've never combusted, nor have I had to stir to get evenly extracted ABV. I've been very happy with the high-temp heater.

Sometimes that the extraction tube side of the vape itself gets a bit hot to the touch when getting those last few pulls to fully extract a load. Fortunately though, I've never had any issues with the vapor being hot enough to be overly harsh on my throat.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I have to be honest...I've used the low temp heater twice in the first few days, and I found it to extract way too slowly. I've only used the high-temp heater since then, and I've never combusted, nor have I had to stir to get evenly extracted ABV. I've been very happy with the high-temp heater.
I, too prefer the high temp heater. It does require a proper technique, but I find it more fulfilling than the low temp heater. YMMV.

:peace:

GetLeft

Use a battery that's at 3.7v instead of fresh off the charger at 4.2v.

I've logged many sessions on my Nomad with both standard and high heaters. Mine doesn't want to produce much vapor at 3.7 regardless of the heater. At least not the kind of vapor production I like. I start with a freshly charged cell and get between 8 - 10 full trouble free hits (maybe 1 or 2 more than that). Once I get to two 10 - 12 second count holds (with a quick pulse in the middle) the vapor isn't producing to my liking so I swap out. When I make the swap the cell seldom shows I've gone lower than 3.7. If I started at 3.7 I'd think the thing didn't work well. Maybe the size of the hits we're talking about is the difference. Or how long one is willing to sit on the button. :2c:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
You got to draw really slowly with the Nomad though. Not necessarily long, but the air flow must be slow. At least with the low power heater. But yes with that heater starting with the cell at 3.6V or lower can be super anemic.

I've never been able to draw for over 20 seconds, so I can't comment. Sounds like an eternity to me. Even 10 seconds is a lot and leaves me short-breathed.

GetLeft

I've never been able to draw for over 20 seconds

Yeah, I'm not saying draws. I'm talking button hold before I start my draw. With a fresh cell I hold only a few seconds before starting my draw. By the time I'm holding over 20 seconds (two 10 second holds, roughly speaking) the vapor production isn't where I like it once I start my draw.

Last edited:

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure

Sometimes that the extraction tube side of the vape itself gets a bit hot to the touch when getting those last few pulls to fully extract a load. Fortunately though, I've never had any issues with the vapor being hot enough to be overly harsh on my throat.

I, too prefer the high temp heater. It does require a proper technique, but I find it more fulfilling than the low temp heater. YMMV.

:peace:

Thanks for this input. I think I'm gonna start with just the high temp heater with mine. I'm routinely taking fifteen to twenty second hits on a variety of cranked Splinter setups and I'd hate for such a work of art portable to make a diminished first impression if I had to back off for the heater to keep up.

bossman,
Reactions: Verax

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@GetLeft , I'm always surprised at the variety of techniques people are exploring with the Nomad, thanks so much for sharing!

I'd have to agree that from 4.2v to 3.7v on the low heater is a pretty sweet spot.

Question, have you tried cleaning around the hole where the heater module connects to the bronze bottom plate? Also clean the outside of the heater module shell, where it touches the bronze around the rim.

A pencil eraser can be used for cleaning the bronze, and the abrasive pads, fine sandpaper, or pencil eraser can be used to clean the heater module shell.

The patina on the bronze will have a pretty big effect on amp draw. It may appear visually clean, but if the patina is too thick it will definitely make the unit run cooler with both heaters.

The pencil eraser gently removes the patina down to shiny bright metal without leaving scratches, and it nicely blends the bright clean area into the cool patina on the rest of the bottom plate.

It appears as though regular use of the Nomad keeps the contact areas clean via electrical cleaning. I've read a few papers that would suggest the same thing happens with electro-mechanical relays, so there is something to it I think.

From what I've read, when the patina is somewhat thin, the electricity is able to punch through that layer and effectively clean the patina away. With regular use, maybe daily or every couple days, the electrical contacts should remain clean almost indefinitely. (I'm on a every 6 month - 1 year cleaning cycle).

But I've suspected that if the Nomad is left on a shelf without use for a month, the patina layer will be allowed to thicken to the point where the current can't punch through that layer very well, resulting in resistance, lower amp draw, cooler over-all experience.

This is most likely to happen at the connection point between the heater module and the bronze bottom plate.

The connector bridge connections are sliding contacts so they clean themselves, no need to ever clean these. And the button connection should be shielded from air by the button lube, so patina growth is much much slower here.

So, what I'm saying is that a Nomad a day keeps the cleaning sponge away, haha.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017

Very nice, my friend!

Thanks. I think I have my technique dialed in for the usage I like. I wasn't suggesting that I'm getting less than stellar performance out of my Nomad. Just that I prefer using it with a fully charged cell rather than half charged cell.

You and me both. I use the high-temp heater, and I mainly like to use a full battery. I haven't been measuring the voltage of my batteries when I swap them out for recharge, but they appear to be no less than 1/3 charged when I feel that they've dwindled down to too low for my likes...at least according to my Nitecore D4 recharger.

Chandler

Greetings.

Beautiful artwork. Hats off to the artist. I just browsed the Instagram page. Kearny, Ontario. @Dan Morrison greetings fellow Canadian. Like @Pipes I'm glad to have discovered another independent Canadian artist/manufacturer. I had to Google Kearny to see where it is... WAAAY up north. WE THE NORTH!!

Are these sleeves hand drawn?
Is the air path all glass?
Can someone point to where specs, pricing, custom choices etc. are shown. Or best to DM Dan?
I've been reading through the thread, but I don't have the time in the moment and can't seem to find certain answers.

Thanks

Vaporware

Greetings.

Beautiful artwork. Hats off to the artist. I just browsed the Instagram page. Kearny, Ontario. @Dan Morrison greetings fellow Canadian. Like @Pipes I'm glad to have discovered another independent Canadian artist/manufacturer. I had to Google Kearny to see where it is... WAAAY up north. WE THE NORTH!!

Are these sleeves hand drawn?
Is the air path all glass?
Can someone point to where specs, pricing, custom choices etc. are shown. Or best to DM Dan?
I've been reading through the thread, but I don't have the time in the moment and can't seem to find certain answers.

Thanks

The base price is $300, and that includes a wide selection of existing art you can choose from for the sleeve, but custom hand painted sleeves, burls and other more expensive woods and button materials, etc. add to the price. If anything though, Dan undercharges for all of the work he puts into it. It’s really amazing stuff. :love:

The vapor path is all glass (or wood if you buy a wooden stem from someone like Ed who’s making them, or metal or whatever else if you want to make your own), but Dan’s Nichrome heater is in the air path below the glass stem which contains the screen(s) and flower.

The Nichrome heater is the only thing that’s caused any concern for me, but it is still a commonly used heater material and especially since we don’t have to heat it to the point it glows, I don’t think we have to worry about it.

By the way, the heaters Dan designed (and builds) were also the inspiration for Alan’s InstaHeat heater (which is instead a stainless steel mesh and is used in the iHeat, Li’l Bud, Timber and other Vapwood products), but both heaters seem to have great performance, flavor, etc.

There are many other reasons to buy a Nomad, so unless anything you know about it is a complete dealbreaker you should get on the list as soon as you can because it’s a bit long! :ugh:

kanal

I am also on the wait list - and i will definitely get my custom one. But it will take quite a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
kanal,

Verax

Well, I know that another forum member already posted some pics of this little Nomad, but now that I am it's custodian, I also feel obligated to do the same. :) Hopefully no one minds too much!

20191025-DSC03203.jpg

20191025-DSC03203.jpg
20191025-DSC03224.jpg

virtualpurple

I love seeing everyone’s nomads.

mine is still a work in progress, but I am not sweating the wait a bit because I think once mine arrives it will steal the show (I think everyone probably thinks that, they’re all beauties).

I shoot @Dan Morrison an email every so often, but mostly it’s just been to update with address changes, etc. great guy to converse with.

Top Bottom