1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Nomad From Morwood

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by Dan Morrison, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Vaped2Space

Vaped2Space Member

What about using a 18500 with a kick? I'm not sure on what voltages are needed to run each heater as to if it would even be a reasonable option. It's not necessarly temp control but some kind of regulation and battery safety for those that's looking for that. The dna go chip would probably be the best suited chip for adding to the bottom sleeve. Or maybe the dicodes chip that they use in their extreme v3.

KeroZen and VaporWare like this.
  2. mistvaporizer

mistvaporizer Well-Known Member Manufacturer

Yo @Dan Morrison if you want to collab on some beaded stems dm me

3. lieutenantlemons

lieutenantlemons Well-Known Member

say no more, sign me the f*** up

Copacetic, bossman, Verax and 2 others like this.
  4. Ramahs

Ramahs Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017

I don't have my Nomad yet, but I have final pics from Dan!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Copacetic

Copacetic Somewhere North of The Wall

Yeah.
    I've been using mine almost exclusively since it arrived.
    I've only left the house with it once, but it did perform suberbly out and about, with the minor exception of the screen being a little fiddly to handle when loading/unloading, but I absolutely love the flavour supplied by Dan's standard screen and wooden 'capsule' arrangement.

I'd love a proper capsule arrangement for out and about though, and intend to try Fury capsules at my first opportunity.

I havent had any issue with heat or irritation yet, but it did occur to me that it would be VERY easy, and potentially very effective to fill the stem with glass beads, and 'cap' the mouth end by inserting another screen.
    I see Mistvape has offered a potential Nomad stem collab, which excites me even though I don't feel much need for cooling myself.
    A fixed glass screen would be something I'd love to try in the Nomad though.
    Maybe something similar to Solo stems.

I Love it!
    I too feel little 'need' for TC, but have to admit that I would almost certainly buy such an attachment/sleeve anyway.
    The Nomad caddy is also something I'd love to see.
    If there were a capsule stem, a caddy with storage for some capsules would probably negate the need to carry any tools :tup:

:popcorn:
    My own wish would be for a fixed glass screen and a bunch of beads capped with a small wood mouthpiece like the ones you currently offer.
    That's just me though :tup:

Your Nomad really does come close to perfect for me.

Covet not thy neighbours Nomad :disgust:

Squiby, pxl_jockey, Logic and 11 others like this.
  6. Ramahs

Covet away, my friend :rockon:

Squiby, pxl_jockey, Logic and 4 others like this.
  7. Copacetic

Copacetic Somewhere North of The Wall

Even a simple glass tube like a standard Nomad stem might work well with capsules if the tube had 2 or three dimples to keep the capsule at the end near the heater.
    Might even be better than having a fixed glass or metal screen as there would be less between the herb and consumer.
    :2c:

8. bossman

bossman Gentleman Of Leisure

I do want some cooling stem options for the Nomad to mature.

I'm okay with unregulated. I'm interested in the integration of a DNA75C down the road but skeptical about the size changes required. Similarly I haven't seen a removable battery meter that looked worth the bulk. The dock idea is intriguing but doesn't sound elegant on its face.

I know nothing of the technical challenges involved in any regulation effort. Just as a vision, I can imagine a knob/ring outside the fire button for Zion-like regulation, so no screen or firmware or real temp control.

I can also imagine a small LED for approximate battery life. My Fluxer Deluxe has an amber and green light combo that combines to give a decent indication of battery level.

9. emmdeemo

emmdeemo Expert to some, idiot to others.

If we're getting a dock, it needs a readout thats based on nixie tubes :)

Click to play YouTube Video

10. papapotbelly

papapotbelly Well-Known Member

@Dan Morrison - I'm in batch 4 and already have a case as a part of my order. I volunteer to be the experiment if you get any inspiration to add a volt-meter to the case or any basic regulation to the electronics, detachable or otherwise.

I mostly hit oils so I'm very used to the TC world and a little intimidated by the unregulated setup, but I just HAD to have a piece of your art regardless. :)

I'd be SUPER interested and can even send a few more $$ via PayPal for any bits and bobs needed. It's Tim F, Nomad #710 (or technically #115)

11. Cheesequake

Cheesequake MDE Never Dies

Anyone in batch 3 get shipping info yet? Dan said mine should’ve gone out last week but haven’t heard anything since. The closer I get to having it the less patient I get :lol:

12. Ramahs

I just emailed Dan something like an hour ago to inquire about shipping for mine.

pxl_jockey and Cheesequake like this.
  13. Poostuff

Poostuff Well-Known Member

I’m not even in a hurry I’m just glad to be in this batch. Aren’t those dark woods beautiful! I needed something in burl but the Nomad really shines with a dark grained wood.

pxl_jockey, cpk and Verax like this.
  14. Ramahs

OOoohhhh. Dan sent me my shipment notification and tracking info on Wednesday!

The anticipation I'm feeling is insane!!! Dr Frank-N-Furter would be jealous!

Click to play YouTube Video

emmdeemo, Verax, SloJimFizz and 5 others like this.
  15. Poostuff

Poostuff Well-Known Member

It’s astounding, time is fleeting.
    That’s great news, congratulations!

emmdeemo, VaporWare, Ramahs and 2 others like this.
  16. flammy

flammy Well-Known Member

Hey all! I have adapted the provided Nomad stem to carry cooling beads.

[​IMG]

There are 12 6mm borosilicate glass beads trapped between two different screens. On the mouthpiece end, I am using Mistvape cup screens:

http://mistvaporizer.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=9

These fit very well inside the stem and the fit is firm enough to where it will not move without intentional force. On the other end of the stem, I am using two of Dan's provided cup screens to sandwich my load. Beads can be removed if you want more space to accommodate a larger bowl and the screen is placed as such to where it can not be seen when the stem is inserted into the Nomad.

There is likely a much more elegant way of approaching this than my DIY hack job. I mentioned Dave's proposal to create beaded stems and I offered to provide the appropriate dimensions of the Nomad and stem to Dave. Dan gave his blessing so I will be reaching out to @mistvaporizer soon to discuss.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    Squiby, emmdeemo, BestBuds and 9 others like this.
  17. Dan Morrison

Dan Morrison Well-Known Member Manufacturer

@flammy

Thanks for posting! Your photos are beautiful. Makes me want to get a new lens with wide aperture!

I took a look on Mcmaster-Carr, and they stock boro glass beads. It's $15 for 100. That'd be a good place for people to order their glass from if they don't want to wait. A simple setup as shown above would give you all the functionality while maintaining the ability to push the load out with my included tamping/unloading sticks (which is something you can't do with a fixed glass screen).

I also noticed that MC caries silicon-nitride ceramic beads, much more expensive, but a way higher thermal conductivity and diffusivity.

Here is a neat website that I use often to compare engineering materials, Here is boro vs silicon nitride ceramic, https://www.makeitfrom.com/compare/Borosilicate-Glass/Silicon-Nitride-Si3N4

They also have tungsten carbide, which would likely offer even greater cooling effect than all of the above.. but I'm not as sure about the safety of using this material if any carbide dust were to be created from the jostling around of the beads inside of the stem over a long period of time.

Could be interesting to compare all three.

Also, has anyone ever tried stainless steel ball bearings in a cooling stem?

VGOODIEZ, bossman, flammy and 7 others like this.
  18. Ramahs

@Dan Morrison , Have you considered making/selling a jig/press to make perfectly shaped screens for Nomad stems? It's something I'd certainly be interested in.

Mr. Me2, Verax and VaporWare like this.
  19. Dan Morrison

Dan Morrison Well-Known Member Manufacturer

@Ramahs,

I get them made on a punch press now in bulk, it'd be cheaper to just buy them in bulk vs. invest in the tooling to make them from mesh sheet. Batch 3 and onwards will be getting the updated screens. Theyre quite a bit better.

flammy, ClearBlueLou, Mr. Me2 and 6 others like this.
  20. flammy

flammy Well-Known Member

Ahh, man. Thanks for the kinds words, Dan. I'm blushing!

Verax likes this.
  21. Cheesequake

My nomad will be here Thursday :D

VaporWare, SloJimFizz, Logic and 11 others like this.
  22. Ramahs

Me too!

23. Logic

Logic Old Skool Member ‘10

Awe, you guys are so stinking lucky!!!

Ramahs likes this.
  24. Cheesequake

Yes and no. I more than likely won't have anything to put in it for the foreseeable future lol.

Ramahs likes this.
  25. Logic

Logic Old Skool Member ‘10

I’m on a dry spell right now too. So many good vapes, no product... :(

Ramahs likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors