The Nomad From Morwood

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
With airflow (while you're inhaling), you can hold down the button for as long as you want, you'll combust way before any damage is caused, so you really never have to worry about taking too long of a draw or holding the button down for too long. Remember that your inhale is drawing ambient air over the heater, so you're cooling the heater at the same time as it's trying to heat up.

Without airflow, there is no cooling, so the heater just goes up and up and up in temp. With the high heat module on a fresh battery you have about 7 seconds of ON time without airflow before the coil starts to glow. I'd recommend thats about the longest you want to hold down the button for a pre-heat. Any pre-heating over that isn't really doing all that much except wasting your battery.

A better way to pre-heat is, 3-5 seconds with the button ON, no airflow. Then start drawing slowly to build up the heat in the herb chamber.

Without airflow, the heat is basically just sitting there in the heater module, it's not being drawn into the herb chamber until you start inhaling and drawing that heat up through the stem.

If you have trouble drawing slow, try the 'cigar puff' method of multiple short puffs until you start getting vapor, then switch to a constant inhale. This works really well, imo.

Look forward to your thoughts!

MonkeyTime

I'm definitely gonna experiment more. Is there a maximum to how long I should hold down the button? I keep getting worried on my long hits with the high power heater that I might end up holding it down too long and overheating something.

I think you can hold it down as long as you want.... and have the lung capacity to keep the air moving! You regulate it by the length of button and your draw. Holding it down indefinitely won't over heat anything as long as there's enough airflow to match the current across the heater.

#28 arrived home this afternoon and I'm not nearly the writer to do it justice.

Down to the packaging, with the tape all flagged for easy removal, Dan is about details.

It's absolutely beautiful. The fit and finish are impeccable, the design classic. Pictures later if I can pry it out if my hand.

@Kalessin , the low power heater is great for holding the button down I just found out. Picking up my draw as the hit went on, I got a wonderfully tasty, very easy hit. We're three fun hits in and signing off for a bit.

Dan, I can't thank you enough, it's truly a gift. I'm going to finish this bowl and do what my grandfather would have done first, take this thing apart and find out what she's made of!

**Edit - beaten by the creator himself! That's what I get for posting with Nomad in hand!

GetLeft

My Nomad arrived today. Six days from Ontario to PA. Not bad!

From a very materialistic perspective, it's fun to have cool things, and this thing is very cool. I'd want to carry it around even if it weren't a vape.

From a vaping perspective, I'm sure I'll be throwing my opinions around regularly. Some of them based upon more experience and therefor better informed. But I tend to share my less informed opinions rather freely also, so I'll not shy away from offering a couple them now.

Having read the user manual provided with the message announcing that my Nomad had been sent, I was a little more apprehensive than I had been prior. Seeing the recommendation that the bridge be disconnected when there exists a risk of accidentally pressing down on the button (for example, when banging around in my pocket), I envisioned the unappealing step of having to un-sleeve my Nomad to disengage the battery every time I wanted to pocket my Nomad. But there seems to be ample bump space built into the trigger button to keep me from having to do that. It´s as safe as my Milaanas, which I pocket regularly, if not more so due to the fact that it fits more tidily into my pocket, with less likelihood that it will be banging into anything.

The roasting chamber design is brilliant. Regardless of how effectively Dan explained it over the course of its evolution, I never saw myself embracing a two-screen method and always thought I´d default to the single screen method that I use with my Milaanas. But it was a piece of cake to load in a controlled environment. I'll have to be very careful when out and about and needing to reload, because I'll have to pull out the bottom screen (closest to the heater) and stash it somewhere while I reload, and keeping an eye on the wooden chamber liner. I could see losing both in a single attempt at a reload in less friendly environments. So I see myself testing the single-screen method in the very near future (tomorrow), but for tonight I'm going to be sophisticated and do a couple of stems as intended, with both screens and the wooden liner.

I need to vape discretely and quickly. Ergo, I don't do sessions. Good thing too because if I did back-to-back hits on a Milaana it would be more than I needed. So I came to the Nomad thinking some day I'd work my way around to trying the low-mid heater, but that I was going straight away with the mid-high heater. Well, Dan's post earlier regarding the quality hits that can be gotten off the low-mid heater made me double guess myself, and I started with it rather than the higher one. It appears that the L-M heater will require a warm-up hit every time, unless you can hold a single draw for a real long time. So this heater moves the Nomad toward being a session-style vape, where you work it for several hits in a row. Which I could see myself moving toward. Maybe I'll have to work on slowing things down :| because it was some wonderful tasting vapor that was being nurtured out of that L-M heater. That was with a medium grind rather than the fine grind Dan mentioned. The medium grind worked fine for me, which is good because it wouldn't be pretty if I had to have a different grind for my Nomad than for my Milaana.

Anyway, I'm loving things straight out of the box. And looking forward to lots more fun.

Thanks, Dan!

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
Did someone say they'd tried Fury capsules in a Nomad stem?

Thanks to all who are receiving their Nomads for filling us in, it soothes the impatience (some).

Dan is doing an amazing job interpreting my hair-brained notions for my custom sleeve, and I'm in awe of his patience.
It feels like I'm buying a Bently, or a bespoke Saville row suit, No wait, not a suit :puke: more like a custom built cafe racer :rockon:

Looking forward to seeing other folks custom sleeves too.
The 'regular' sleeves still allow each unit to be totally unique and that blows me away with every Nomad I see.

Performance is key though, so it's good to hear how you are all reacting to your new pocket masterpieces.

Show-and-tell always welcome here!:drool:

warren0728

I need to vape discretely and quickly. Ergo, I don't do sessions. Good thing too because if I did back-to-back hits on a Milaana it would be more than I needed.
Anyway, I'm loving things straight out of the box. And looking forward to lots more fun.

Thanks, Dan!

how is the nomad ergonomically with the button at the top? i really love my milaana 2 and find the button at the bottom to be very easy to use ...

but i have been thinking of getting on the nomad list

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
#061 final mock up

384.jpg

GetLeft

how is the nomad ergonomically with the button at the top?

It will take a little time to find my preferred Nomad grip. I'm still adjusting with the Mi 2, with its air inlet right in the path of my grip. But the Nomad is small, Fury-like. So most will be able to find more than a single comfortable grip with it. And the paper seems prepared well (of course). It´s protective layer serves as a grip enhancer.

SloJimFizz

Unknown Member
Awesome to hear new owners chiming in with their experiences. Nothing like diving into a new device with the detective cap on. Enjoy the Honeymoons! :sherlock:

how is the nomad ergonomically with the button at the top? i really love my milaana 2 and find the button at the bottom to be very easy to use ...
The Nomad fits my hand perfectly and the button plus contact plate are right where they need to be with this type of switch. Much different from the Mi's soft switch which any digit can get it going, including objects in cluttered pockets and bags, hence the need for a guitar pick as it's kill switch. The Nomad needs more of a pinch to get it going, the original spring switch moreso than the magnet switch, giving it a built in safety feature that doesn't take away from is ergo ness.

Natural as can be
20190319-225507-1.jpg

Palmable...Nothing to see here folks

20190319-225425-1.jpg

GetLeft

Last of my first impressions...

The 'push the whole herb chamber (screens, ring, and herb) to the opposite end of the stem' tehchnique didn't turn out well on my first go. The push down the stem ended up packing the material too tightly by the time it arrived and it changed the air flow significantly.

This morning, I tried the Nomad Mi style (single screen) with the wooden ring. Slight tamp of the medium grind herb. Still low heater. Worked like a charm. Quicker than with bottom screen added to the mix. I'll use it like that for the rest of today.

The Arizer Air stem caps fit the Mi stems, but not the Nomad stems, which means I´ll be on the lookout for similar caps to fit it. They work conveniently when stowing the vaporizer with the stem still seated in the oven. Cap over the mouthpiece end of the stem for odor control, and when pulling the stem for storage in a pocket, I slip the cap over the herb chamber end of the stem to keep things in place.

Have fun everyone.

warren0728

The Nomad fits my hand perfectly and the button plus contact plate are right where they need to be with this type of switch. Much different from the Mi's soft switch which any digit can get it going, including objects in cluttered pockets and bags, hence the need for a guitar pick as it's kill switch. The Nomad needs more of a pinch to get it going, the original spring switch moreso than the magnet switch, giving it a built in safety feature that doesn't take away from is ergo ness.

ok that makes sense ... i'm running out of reasons to NOT get on the list! lol

namasteIII

anyone else worry about this vape being to nice? Despite it being literally the perfect on the go portable its expensive, highly custom, and hard to acquire nature makes it something you want to baby, and maybe leave at home. Prohibition doesn't help this either for those of us still stuck with it. Not really an actual complaint I just hope that I take mine out and about and not leave it behind because of how special it is.

Also whoever was talking about packing on the go, a few pages back Dan was mentioning ambition to create a capsule system around the wooden stem insert. So keep an eye out our pester Dan and see how thats moving along.

Cheers all.

Vaporware

@namasteIII The prohibition issue is a real concern, and given the materials these things can’t be indestructible, but part of Dan’s vision for these was real world use and wear.

I’m sure he doesn’t want to see any of them smashed to pieces, but his own has significant wear on the sleeve, and he’s even said before that he doesn’t really feel like they’re finished until we do the same with ours.

I know some people won’t, and it’ll be hard to let mine take any wear, but I’m going to try not to baby it too much so eventually it gets to be a great representation of what the Nomad was meant to be. :rockon:

That doesn’t mean “don’t take care of it” or “throw it around”, just use it when, where and how you want and if it gets a little scratched or the edges of the sleeve wear down a bit, it should just add to the unique look and story of your Nomad.

At worst, if a couple of them don’t make it through real-world abuse and accidents, I think overall we’ll still all be happier having got the most out of them rather than keeping them hidden away and only using them occasionally at home.

...and I’m saying this having a lot of customization on mine...I hope I can still practice what I preach! :myday: :uhoh: :sherlock:

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
Well, my lucky day has finally come.:clap: I'm only on my second bowl but I've already got it dialed in and it's performing wonderfully. It's just beautiful and I couldn't be more thrilled with it.

Thanks Dan, you rock. :rockon:

IMG-1152.jpg

IMG-1153.jpg

IMG-1154.jpg

:peace:
Lovely stuff Stu :D
Izzat walnut & cocobolo?
I guess the low/medium heater is your go-to?

Top Bottom