P1040645.jpg

P1040648.jpg

P1040650.jpg

P1040652.jpg

P1040654.jpg

P1040657.jpg

P1040659.jpg

Caelar900

@mourningbell , Monday. I'd like to get some good photos of these, so that'll be the next couple days while it snow storms up here.

Here is a big photo dump. I'll be emailing everyone individually with their Nomad photos tomorrow for final confirmation of design, confirm address, or custom sleeve discussion.

The raw kraft photos here are either soon to be custom painted, collaged, stamped, or wax/oil finished. These photos just show the raw light coloured kraft. The wax/oil finish darkens these sleeves considerably, just so ya knows.

Not all of the Nomads are here, don't panic if yours is missing, haha.

P1040581.jpg

P1040582.jpg

P1040585.jpg

P1040586.jpg

P1040590.jpg

P1040594.jpg

P1040596.jpg

P1040599.jpg

P1040601.jpg

P1040603.jpg

P1040604.jpg

P1040605.jpg

P1040607.jpg

P1040609.jpg

P1040611.jpg

P1040612.jpg

P1040617.jpg

P1040620.jpg

Wow... Just wow. I mean personal taste withstanding every single one of these are an absolute marvel to look at. True works of art. They say pictures can't do something justice but sometimes a photographers ability to convey the true beauty of an object surpasses this. Hats off to you Dan. These things are fucking incredible. Can't wait for mine.

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
Holy crap :o!
The work and attention to detail you've put into these just radiates out of every single piece @Dan Morrison, spectacular results :bowdown:
To the lucky-lucky owners who will soon be getting these beauties, congratulations :nod:.

I've opted for some custom features, so mine will be towards the end of this group, but seeing these makes the wait soooo much easier (and exciting )

:drool::popcorn::drool::popcorn::drool:

Vaporware

:whoa: All fantastic work, but I see a few with details I really love. The spalted collar, the matched bicolor cocobolo body and collar - can’t wait to see the sleeve finished on that (and the others)...too many to list!

It *is* Valentine’s Day though, so is it weird to say I really like your burly bodies...? :razz:

warren0728

as usual these are beautiful @Dan Morrison ... i have a question about the process that has probably been answered so sorry if it has ... are you hand-painting each of the sleeves? if not how are you getting the design on them? thanks!

warren0728,

SloJimFizz

Unknown Member
All of these Nomads are gorgeous. Love all the pics here and watching them pop up in my IG feed.
Sipping on #001 after a thorough button cleaning and it is kicking ass better than ever. Being able to field strip the unit, clean and lube the button contacts and getting the unit performing good as new is a huge plus for me.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Thanks everyone! After so much hard work... these kind comments really give me a boost. :love:

@SloJimFizz , Glad to hear it! :)

I have been increasingly obsessed with the wooden chamber insert. It greatly improves stem unloading/loading and gives a noticeable performance upgrade. Future plans are to offer these inserts as part of a capsule system that pairs the inserts with an airtight holder for easy carry and loading.... but that's a future project.

Apart from faster heat-up times, you also get more even vaporization around the outside rim. I attribute this to more uniform airflow (see my drawings a while back) and less heat loss through the chamber walls.

For optimal performance I grind very fine and then sieve the grinds through a steel mesh to separate out any large particles that need to be re-ground. I just do this once, and fill up a container full of perfectly even grinds, so it's not so inconvenient. Sounds like I am just being picky.... but hang in there!

I was first inspired to do this a long time ago from when I was into espresso. The grind consistency of the coffee is of absolute importance for even extraction... it only makes sense to apply this logic to vaporization as well. The added effort is worth it... and I could see a purpose built grinder with sieve already installed to accomplish this task easier.. perhaps an idea for another maker out there! haha.

The cool thing about this consistent grind is that you can tamp down the herb and it will form a sort of "puck" that stays firmly in place inside of the wooden chamber insert. This gives the ability to have "capsules" without the need for additional SS mesh. Loading and unloading is much easier this way.

I still keep two screens inside of the glass stem to cap each end of the wooden insert. I've included the addition of a stem loading/unloading tool with every Nomad, so that you don't have to pick the top screen out with your finger. Much improved.

Here is how it's loaded. I still believe this is the absolute best loading method. One advantage that I love, and learned from @KeroZen , is that after each load you can swap the screen position. This constantly clears the top screen of any residue/particles, so your screens never clog. It's a self cleaning system, which is very nice!

The unloading tool is basically a push rod made from wood, the push rod doubles as a tamper.

P1040182.jpg

In this first image, you can see the fresh herb loaded from the top. This side faces the heater. A light tamp was applied.

P1040703.jpg

Here is that same side, after one long draw from cold, no pre-heat, standard (low) temp heater. Great vapor production and taste. This size load I would usually finish in two or three long draws.

P1040706.jpg

Here is the backside, fresh, unvaped. This side is facing away from the heater.

P1040704.jpg

Here is the same side after the above mentioned single long hit. Notice the evenness. around the outside rim. Also notice how this insert was taken out of the stem, and yet the tamped herb stays put.

P1040707.jpg

Here is a split image showing both side by side.

P1040704v2.jpg

And another split image from the other side. Herb appears a bit darker in this image because it's in shadow from being deeper down into the insert. In person, I could not see a difference in colour between the front side of the herb puck and the backside, this makes me think that there is perfectly even vaporization happening throughout the entire chamber load.

P1040703v2.jpg

Notes:

For future experiments I'll be using briar burl for these inserts to see if that makes any difference. Briar is from the root-ball of a shrub that grows in very arid conditions, and so the wood is extremely good at soaking up moisture. This is why it's prized for tobacco pipes. Perhaps by using a larger briar insert we could get some of the same benefits. I also would like to experiment with a briar burl "filter" insert. Like a little wooden cooling unit. The wood could cool the vapor by drawing out the steam, which is exactly what it does in a tobacco pipe to provide a cool smoke.

Inserts of varying depths could be made for pre-loading. Micro-dose inserts could be used alone, or stacked in multiples, perhaps with different strains in each insert.

Oh yes, and everyone will be getting a wood insert with their batch 2 Nomads, last minute add-on!

MonkeyTime

Thanks everyone! After so much hard work... these kind comments really give me a boost. :love:

@SloJimFizz , Glad to hear it! :)

I have been increasingly obsessed with the wooden chamber insert. It greatly improves stem unloading/loading and gives a noticeable performance upgrade. Future plans are to offer these inserts as part of a capsule system that pairs the inserts with an airtight holder for easy carry and loading.... but that's a future project.

Apart from faster heat-up times, you also get more even vaporization around the outside rim. I attribute this to more uniform airflow (see my drawings a while back) and less heat loss through the chamber walls.

For optimal performance I grind very fine and then sieve the grinds through a steel mesh to separate out any large particles that need to be re-ground. I just do this once, and fill up a container full of perfectly even grinds, so it's not so inconvenient. Sounds like I am just being picky.... but hang in there!

I was first inspired to do this a long time ago from when I was into espresso. The grind consistency of the coffee is of absolute importance for even extraction... it only makes sense to apply this logic to vaporization as well. The added effort is worth it... and I could see a purpose built grinder with sieve already installed to accomplish this task easier.. perhaps an idea for another maker out there! haha.

The cool thing about this consistent grind is that you can tamp down the herb and it will form a sort of "puck" that stays firmly in place inside of the wooden chamber insert. This gives the ability to have "capsules" without the need for additional SS mesh. Loading and unloading is much easier this way.

I still keep two screens inside of the glass stem to cap each end of the wooden insert. I've included the addition of a stem loading/unloading tool with every Nomad, so that you don't have to pick the top screen out with your finger. Much improved.

Here is how it's loaded. I still believe this is the absolute best loading method. One advantage that I love, and learned from @KeroZen , is that after each load you can swap the screen position. This constantly clears the top screen of any residue/particles, so your screens never clog. It's a self cleaning system, which is very nice!

The unloading tool is basically a push rod made from wood, the push rod doubles as a tamper.

P1040182.jpg

In this first image, you can see the fresh herb loaded from the top. This side faces the heater. A light tamp was applied.

P1040703.jpg

Here is that same side, after one long draw from cold, no pre-heat, standard (low) temp heater. Great vapor production and taste. This size load I would usually finish in two or three long draws.

P1040706.jpg

Here is the backside, fresh, unvaped. This side is facing away from the heater.

P1040704.jpg

Here is the same side after the above mentioned single long hit. Notice the evenness. around the outside rim. Also notice how this insert was taken out of the stem, and yet the tamped herb stays put.

P1040707.jpg

Here is a split image showing both side by side.

P1040704v2.jpg

And another split image from the other side. Herb appears a bit darker in this image because it's in shadow from being deeper down into the insert. In person, I could not see a difference in colour between the front side of the herb puck and the backside, this makes me think that there is perfectly even vaporization happening throughout the entire chamber load.

P1040703v2.jpg

Notes:

For future experiments I'll be using briar burl for these inserts to see if that makes any difference. Briar is from the root-ball of a shrub that grows in very arid conditions, and so the wood is extremely good at soaking up moisture. This is why it's prized for tobacco pipes. Perhaps by using a larger briar insert we could get some of the same benefits. I also would like to experiment with a briar burl "filter" insert. Like a little wooden cooling unit. The wood could cool the vapor by drawing out the steam, which is exactly what it does in a tobacco pipe to provide a cool smoke.

Inserts of varying depths could be made for pre-loading. Micro-dose inserts could be used alone, or stacked in multiples, perhaps with different strains in each insert.

Oh yes, and everyone will be getting a wood insert with their batch 2 Nomads, last minute add-on!

Stop teasing Dan and ship my baby to me!

P1040586.jpg

Vaporware

I hesitate to ask, but what is the price of such a thing?

Starts at $300 (upcharges for stuff like more expensive wood, custom painting instead of papers like you see above which you can choose from at the base price, etc.).

If you compare it to a lot of other things out there, especially considering the amount of time Dan takes to work out the design with us and the amount of work he puts into building them, I think they’re a good deal. :)

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
If you’re interested I’d get on the list soon anyway; if you’re not ready when your number comes up, just ask to be bumped to the next batch. It’s better than being ready to buy and then starting the wait! :)

Given that I’ve just put that into my Ghost, I will have to wait before applying for a spot.

Just FYI Lou, you can join Dan's list without payment (and it's likely a long wait already, can't really comment on how long due to :shrug: but many months might be the case, giving you some time to recover from the Ghost purchase) and once your name reaches the head of the queue you'll be asked for payment just before Dan starts to craft your Nomad (which will then require X time to manufacture).

At least that's how I think it's currently working.

I don't think Dan is sticking to a strictly chronologically ordered list, as those in batch 2 who opted for some of the custom options will have their Nomads completed after the more stock units ('stock' Nomad is an oxymoron if ever there was one!).

My own experience may or may not be typical, I don't know, but I first approached Dan to request a spot on the list in late July 2017, and I wasn't asked for payment until the following May, and we've been discussing the various options since then.
I imagine I'll be getting my Nomad sometime soon after the units pictured above are with their owners.

This kind of timeframe is entirely understandable given the custom, and individually handrafted nature of each and every Nomad (I think every single pic' I've seen looks unique and beautiful) and the ongoing development that even we in batch 2 are going to benefit from (the latest of which is the wooden loading capsule).

Apologies if you have already understood all the above, your repeat post made me think that you may have been under the impression that payment was required upon joining the list.

tl/dr:
Dan doesn't ask for payment until your name reaches the head of the list and he begins producing your Nomad (could be months away).

Top Bottom