The Nomad From Morwood

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Well i get the beauty of non regulated.. It even sounds beautiful,but adding safety or voltage indicator, doesnt make it regulated.. Btw forgot to clarify that those kick modules are put in the same hole with the battery,so it would require drilling just a few mm extra depth.
Anyway we also have to note that explosion is not that likely scenario,having in mind the open bottom design of the Nomad,but shit can leak, or smth like that if one abuses or uses a faulty cell

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Happy new year everyone!! I took some time with friends and family over the holidays, but now it's back to work in the shop, fully refreshed and recharged. :)

Nomad Update:

I'll be sending out an update email today, but in short, I am just going to be doing my best to get this batch 2 out as soon as I can. I think my problem is that I am continually tweaking the design of the Nomad as I make it... and I have not settled into a fixed work-flow yet. The design changes are what seem to just suck time away from actual production. I think in this new year I need to find a better balance... not only is it important to give accurate time-lines... but it's also super stressful for me to keep delaying a batch. It's really an internal struggle between just getting it done.... and getting it done the way I know it should be done.

Anyhow, when it's all said and done, I do feel like it's worth the extra time to really tease things out... so, hang tight, your patience is very much appreciated.

While I definitely see the advantages of putting a chip with a screen in the nomad it's biggest advantage for me is it's mechanical aspect.

This is how I feel as well.

I would be very hard pressed to permanently integrate electronics into the Nomad. Both for the limited longevity, but also because the tech is evolving so quickly.

What I would really like to see, though, is modules that could replace the stock wooden bottom plate, thus making the device a tiny bit taller... or perhaps wider (based on what needs to be integrated). These modules could be designed to provide anything from just a voltage reading... to full TC, etc..

That way you always have the fully mechanical Nomad, but the option to go regulated if needed.

....we will probably see a time where high current 18650's aren't available anymore.

I agree with you there! Hopefully the next battery tech it come along will at least be designed to the 18650 size standard. Time will tell. I am hoping for a more compact size to come along, then things will really get exciting!

How about adding a chip for low-voltage protection ? ....
Another option is to install a small Volt Meter,it would be addition challenge to the design,but i think aethetic wont suffer that much if it is hidden behind a piece off wood held to the body with magnets or something like that.

I did consider the kick style chips. But they are limited to 6 amps, so.. that's really pushing the limits of the chip. I suspect that it would have caused a weak-point.

I like the idea of a stand-alone volt meter that could be integrated into, perhaps, a pocket-sized carrying case.

The thing is... I have never once felt the need to check my battery voltage, ever. It's just very obvious to me when the battery is getting to around 3.3v. I think it would be pretty difficult to over-drain a cell.

BUT... currently the Nomad is being used by enthusiasts... it's not really a mass-market product. If I were to market to a larger audience, I think that these extra safety measures would be necessary.

It's still on my want list for future improvements, that's for sure!

OK, back to the shop.

@sixstringsmash - Sometimes wood movement is enough to change part dimensions way out of spec. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened to your Edstnt stem. Unfortunately it's very hard to predict. I've had some luck with pre-shrinking wood before machining.. but still need to experiment more. Wooden flute makers go to great lengths to season, pre-shrink..etc.. their woods so that the wood doesn't change diameter and throw off the tuning of the flute. Definitely a wonderful resource for information! I'll be getting in some different O-rings soon to try out, they might offer a little more room for error in stem diameter. I'll let you know! A simple O-ring change could make your current Ed stem fit nicer.

Last edited:

Vaporware

Happy New Year and thanks for the update! :D

Even being in batch 3 and anxious to have mine, I’m still happy to deal with some delays to let you continue to make the great tweaks that have cumulatively made the Nomad the most interesting portable around.

If you can’t implement all of the things you’re thinking about quickly enough for that batch I get it, but I feel like every change we’ve seen so far is a very positive thing, and as anxious as we are to get Nomads I think/hope just about all of us want to see those improvements continue.

Thanks for the update; I think everyone here is more willing to wait when they hear why they’re waiting and how their Nomads will be better for it - and of course everyone needs some time off. Not hearing anything for too long can be worrying, but knowing that everything’s alright and especially hearing about something like improved heaters or magnetic buttons makes the waiting easier. Here’s to finding the right balance! :science: :sherlock:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Happy New Year and thanks for the update @Dan Morrison !

I expected things to get a bit quiet the last few weeks as the holiday season took it's course. Glad to hear you got some time off with family.

I was glad to see your email this afternoon. Of course I'd like my Batch 3 Nomad in my hands as soon as possible, but I'm also happy to wait a bit longer for the best possible product I can get. And, to be honest, all the little updates you keep giving us with the pictures and explanations of some of what you're doing keeps me satiated. I've really been enjoying watching these come together.

Thanks for everything so far, and I'm looking forward to the next couple of months as things progress!

Ramahs

A week with no updates. Dan must be hard at work banging out the finishing touches on batch 2.

Anyone else here who's received theirs, but has not het put in their $0.02 here yet? We'd love to hear it!

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
Did I already say how delicious the vapor is?! :love:
That's great to hear.
All my favourite vapes are capable of supplying very good flavour if handled correctly, but it's usually fleeting, and largely gone after the first hit, but some vapes can (again, when used correctly) provide a nice taste through more of the bowl.

My current champ for quality, intensity and longevity of flavour is a Millana with one of my very short stems.

BTW the favourite vapes in question are: Vapcaps, Ed's Woodscents, Grasshopper, Vapman, DV mIQro.

I've experimented with loads of different stem configurations , and turned a bunch of my own and have found that bowl diameter, depth and the relationship between that bowl dia' and stem i/d and length seem to be key to great flavour.
Even more than stem material (except for initial use of the unlined wooden stems, which can often taste of the wood for a while).

The i/d that I eventually settled on for my wooden stems happens to match the diameter that Dan has chosen for the Nomad stems, this (along with your, and others reports of course) gives me great optimism for the Nomad.
Not to mention Dan's track record of course, this isn't his first vape after-all.

I love the heater design too.
It seems obvious to me that a large surface area heater stands a better chance of heating any given volume of air to our required temp's without glowing, than the wire heaters out there, and I feel that's another very important influence on flavour.
In my experience, glowing metal definitely does contribute to the metallic or 'hot-metal' taste that some vapes exhibit.
I'm definitely glad that Dan took the 'high surface area' approach.

The ease of achieving good flavour and how long that flavour lasts through a bowl also affects how much I like a vape, care to fill us in on how you rate the Nomad on these counts @KeroZen?

Re-reading this I realise I could have just asked "sounds good KZ, is it easy , and does it last?" but that's just not how I roll!

Can't wait for my Nomad....:popcorn:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
It's pretty hard to combust with the low power heater, even on a fresh cell. I never deliberately tried to though, but at least I never had a single accident happen, contrary to the Milaana.

It's very easy to not char and get even extraction, even when distracted and not paying too much attention. This to me is the #1 prerequisite to get a good taste, as once you char it's game over even if you stir, the roasted taste stays forever.

I had a few occasions where I had a center hot spot but it was because 1) my top screen was clogged on purpose, to see if it could create some draw restriction (it did apparently create too much...) and 2) I was using my stainless steel stem at the same time, which changes the vape characteristics in subtle ways.

But otherwise the ABV always ends up lighter than in my other vapes. It doesn't require to see super high temperatures to deliver the goods. That's it for the "how easy" part.

Now for the "does it last" part, oh yeah! It's really delicious for a long while, like with RBT vapes. So much that I always feel a bit sad when the bowl is done... like "oh no it's already over, I wish it lasted longer!". Almost tempted to get a second one sometimes, but since I'm already medicated enough, I just refrain.

I know it's hard to quantify, but clearly there are very few vapes I own that give this "more-ish" feeling. It's really a pleasure and it allows to fully enjoy your strains and their nuances.

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
It's pretty hard to combust with the low power heater, even on a fresh cell. I never deliberately tried to though, but at least I never had a single accident happen, contrary to the Milaana.

It's very easy to not char and get even extraction, even when distracted and not paying too much attention. This to me is the #1 prerequisite to get a good taste, as once you char it's game over even if you stir, the roasted taste stays forever.

I had a few occasions where I had a center hot spot but it was because 1) my top screen was clogged on purpose, to see if it could create some draw restriction (it did apparently create too much...) and 2) I was using my stainless steel stem at the same time, which changes the vape characteristics in subtle ways.

But otherwise the ABV always ends up lighter than in my other vapes. It doesn't require to see super high temperatures to deliver the goods. That's it for the "how easy" part.

Now for the "does it last" part, oh yeah! It's really delicious for a long while, like with RBT vapes. So much that I always feel a bit sad when the bowl is done... like "oh no it's already over, I wish it lasted longer!". Almost tempted to get a second one sometimes, but since I'm already medicated enough, I just refrain.

I know it's hard to quantify, but clearly there are very few vapes I own that give this "more-ish" feeling. It's really a pleasure and it allows to fully enjoy your strains and their nuances.
Yeah, this sounds like it's gonna be right up my alley, so to speak.
Thanks for the detailed description, even if it does just Stoke the 'WANT!' flames even higher :rockon:.

Ramahs

Thanks for sharing, @KeroZen!
I enjoyed reading your opinions, and I'm now more excited than ever!

giphy.gif

namasteIII

With the high power heater can you get the herb to a nice and dark fully extracted territory. You may have never tired and thats okay because I'm pretty sure I already know the answer.

namasteIII,
Reactions: Ramahs

seriousTone

I asked the same question alittle while ago.

But according to some people in this thread, apparently a hit from herb that's light brown and bringing it to dark coffee brown doesn't actually do anything to you..You know, cuz they tested it on themselves so it's true for everyone..nothing to do with their own tolerance :shrug:

seriousTone,

SloJimFizz

Unknown Member
With the high power heater can you get the herb to a nice and dark fully extracted territory. You may have never tired and thats okay because I'm pretty sure I already know the answer.

Oh I've tried. :D
Yes, the high heat can get the dark brown abv and the char zone. Like the early Milaana, different batteries can yield different results. For me, the 25r are easiest to control with the high heater and the vtc5a the trickiest to keep from peppering in char spots.

Wild anchovies are a bit salty. :p

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Been a while, but since it was just asked, I might as well pipe in to level out expectations and remind everyone I did combust with the low power heater... I think because I started with the high one by mistake, so then learning the low one I ended up holding trigger too long trying to get the same hit with a nonfresh battery, it scorched up no problem lol

Even aside from that I don't know, I never had the experience I see others had in here... I know the button pressing was tough for me, especially with my hand issue, but the times I did use it successfully it really didn't seem too effective. I don't know, at least compared to my extensive experience with other unregulated vapes this one felt like more of a learner? Take this all with a grain of salt though, since I really didn't spend a lot of time with it. To properly learn a vape like this you need to get to know the ins and outs for your specific style, ideally using only it. While I love the idea of this, I just can't see doing that unfortunately.

I am a little saddened by it just bc the actual product is amazingly beautiful and cool, just crazy how it came to be and I am lucky to have it at all. With spare loaded stems I can see how the tiny Nomad would really have been the ultimate out and about vape for me, but I guess this just isn't me anymore.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Ah at last some counter-weight to my cheering! Good!

It's true that this vape has a learning curve and I said it right in my initial review. Probably not a good choice for a beginner. This is more of an advanced level vape. And I wish it was easier to use (for my usage pattern that would be a low power heater with smaller air intakes so I don't have to draw so softly but I understand it wouldn't suit all users)

Didn't you get the weak spring or the magnetic button in the end? It's clear that with your hand the original button would be a nightmare!

Shit Snacks

Ah at last some counter-weight to my cheering! Good!

It's true that this vape has a learning curve and I said it right in my initial review. Probably not a good choice for a beginner. This is more of an advanced level vape. And I wish it was easier to use (for my usage pattern that would be a low power heater with smaller air intakes so I don't have to draw so softly but I understand it wouldn't suit all users)

Didn't you get the weak spring or the magnetic button in the end? It's clear that with your hand the original button would be a nightmare!

Haha yeah, I am pretty amazed how well the air intake restriction helps regulate draw in the Splinter Z after learning on wide open Zion and Milaana previously... I am a low temp guy but maybe I like a strong heater to do so?

I have whatever was stock from the first build, I did not send my unit back for any kind of button adjustment, nor do I really know what you're talking about exactly lol I know Dan was offering a new rebuild solution, but frankly I did not want to deal with shipping or anything...

I feel bad about it, and not sure if I can afford to keep it, but it such a collectable that it would be hard to part with.

Last edited:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I don't recall if you got yours before or after the button update. If you feel that your button has a pretty strong spring tension it was probably before. In which case, just contact Dan and he will send you a softer spring (or even perhaps the new magnetic button)

No need to send back your device, you'll be able to swap the button mechanism using just the long Allen key you got in your package. It's really easy don't worry.

Shit Snacks

I don't recall if you got yours before or after the button update. If you feel that your button has a pretty strong spring tension it was probably before. In which case, just contact Dan and he will send you a softer spring (or even perhaps the new magnetic button)

No need to send back your device, you'll be able to swap the button mechanism using just the long Allen key you got in your package. It's really easy don't worry.

yeah I was in the first batch along with you, I didn't know it could be done myself I just assumed I was not going to be capable... I haven't been hanging around in here at all clearly

mephisto

^ maybe you should be, pal. Its always good to see you wherever you turn up!
I expect I will be seeing #47 soon. I had the occasion to speak with Dan about my paper choice.
He gave me some insight into the pattern I had chosen, and helped me decide on a better choice for the
wood burl I had made. What a cool process to be able to coordinate with the builder himself. While this is not my first handmade, wood convection vape, I have a feeling it may be my final foray into this realm of artistry. Thanks Dan!

SloJimFizz

Unknown Member
yeah I was in the first batch along with you, I didn't know it could be done myself I just assumed I was not going to be capable... I haven't been hanging around in here at all clearly
Hey man, have you done the complete button cleaning with the kit Dan sent out.? Kind of a pain, but the improvement in performance was pretty significant.

Shit Snacks

^ maybe you should be, pal. Its always good to see you wherever you turn up!
I expect I will be seeing #47 soon. I had the occasion to speak with Dan about my paper choice.
He gave me some insight into the pattern I had chosen, and helped me decide on a better choice for the
wood burl I had made. What a cool process to be able to coordinate with the builder himself. While this is not my first handmade, wood convection vape, I have a feeling it may be my final foray into this realm of artistry. Thanks Dan!

Thanks man, the feeling is mutual! I just still have to remind myself abra is mephisto :p I know we do cross paths here a lot and I wouldn't have it any other way! The painted design Dan did for my paper sleeve is incredible, though I never really used mine with it yet, just naked testing at home... Wait lol

Hey man, have you done the complete button cleaning with the kit Dan sent out.? Kind of a pain, but the improvement in performance was pretty significant.

Ah I think I remember about that, mine was one of the later ones sent from the first batch, so I believe Dan took care of all that for me in advance (though there was no heater screen installed as I thought there would be, and I never tried to do it myself since two screen stem method felt necessary with this design)... Actually I think there was some sort of slightly separate kit included in my package, but I did not open it up more to see... Eh doing all of this doesn't sound so appealing honestly lol

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@Shit Snacks

Your Nomad was before the magnetic button, and so it would have been sent out with the stock spring. I wonder if that has something to do with your experience. It's possible that not making good button contact with the stiff spring was responsible for your inconsistent results. But maybe not either, we do all have our preferences and in comparison to the regulated vaporizers on the market now, I wouldn't say that the Nomad is user friendly out of the gate.

Included with your Nomad would have been a little maintenance and cleaning kit, along with the in-body SS screen.

If you'd like the parts to convert your button to the magnetic 'spring', I'll send em out to you. Super easy to put the magnets in there and have a much lighter pressure to the button.

End of January is expected ship date for Batch 2. All Nomads have their stem collars, buttons, final finish, and most sleeves are ready to wrap/paint. Connector bridges and Heater Modules are all that's left to do.

Everyone will be getting the magnetic buttons.

A week with no updates. Dan must be hard at work banging out the finishing touches on batch 2.

Y'all know when I'm putting in the long hours, haha :science:

Top Bottom