The Nomad From Morwood

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yeah performance had definitely been discussed, its just not a super active thread of users, but what's here is still pretty comprehensive... Especially for those of us who have experience with unregulated convection on demand with glass stems, I don't think there is anything too surprising here. The difference in stem, heater, and button don't really do that much to affect the basic performance it seems to me, except for my button's resistance and how the stem loads with the screens and o-rings, which make it require a bit more dexterity than I can handle lately... Also its just quite a bit more tedious out and about than a pen vape and I'm hesitant to share with others bc of how nice

little maggie

Yeah performance had definitely been discussed, its just not a super active thread of users, but what's here is still pretty comprehensive... Especially for those of us who have experience with unregulated convection on demand with glass stems, I don't think there is anything too surprising here. The difference in stem, heater, and button don't really do that much to affect the basic performance it seems to me, except for my button's resistance and how the stem loads with the screens and o-rings, which make it require a bit more dexterity than I can handle lately... Also its just quite a bit more tedious out and about than a pen vape and I'm hesitant to share with others bc of how nice
Is the button resistance being fixed in the upcoming round? And can you explain what makes the loading difficult? I have a lot of problems with dexterity plus have non essential tremor. I've not had a problem with most of the vapes I have but I'm so excited about the nomad I don't want to end up not being able to use it.

Shit Snacks

Is the button resistance being fixed in the upcoming round? And can you explain what makes the loading difficult? I have a lot of problems with dexterity plus have non essential tremor. I've not had a problem with most of the vapes I have but I'm so excited about the nomad I don't want to end up not being able to use it.

The button had been discussed as Dan just said that he had a new spring coming in, while the loading I am referring to involves using the two screen sandwich. I don't have a heater screen in mine, though new ones should, but I wouldn't use it the way I use Mist/ Milaana because the stem goes so deep into the unit and the o-rings make it a snug entry/exit so it must be twisted slowly

Phenix

love your description: eager to see where this is going before thinking about buying one from you..

Phenix,

sixstringsmash

Is the button resistance being fixed in the upcoming round?

I Just feel a need to clarify a little bit here. There is technically nothing wrong with the button resistance, and it works just fine as is. A good amount of users here use these Vapes for medical reasons though so if you have bad arthritis or limited dexterity in your hands you might have a bit of an issue with the button, but for the 99% of us that don't have these medical issues the resistance of the button should work just fine.

Last edited:

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
I'll provide a little update as well.

I have on order two more spring options. A medium resistance, and a low resistance. The low resistance is a very weak spring, and it will be much much easier for people to press and hold down. This, of course will require extra care when transporting the device in your pocket... as to avoid accidentally pressing the button.

Another thing I am changing is the actual curved surface of the button lens. The acrylic lens is shaped like a dome. This dome shape is fairly pronounced in the first batch, and so it creates a little pressure point at the tip of the dome... In comparison, a flat surface spreads the pressure out over the pad of your thumb...and has the illusion of being "easier" to press.

So, I am changing the dome geometry to be more flat. The aesthetic difference is minimal, but functionally it should be easier to press.

The reason I have yet to receive the springs is because they are a rarely used size... so suppliers didn't have them in stock... it was a long lead-time for me to get them... they should be here very soon!

About the sleeve. For this batch, and all future batches, I will be applying multiple coats of clear varnish onto the chiyogami paper sleeves. This is to protect the coloured/gold inks and paper from wearing too quickly, which has been a concern voiced by a couple first batchers.

@shitsnacks - A quick wipe of vaseline on the outside of the glass stem, then wipe off any excess... the glass will look, feel, smell the same... but it will slide in and out of the O-Rings like butter, It makes a huge difference.

@little maggie I will be emailing everyone in the next few weeks to get their spring preference so that their Nomad ships with the spring of their choice. You mentioned going over the custom details? I have you down for the fish-pattern chiyogami, walnut body, cocobolo stem, and abalone button.

Vapeur Rogue

Est. 2013- Never Lookin' Back

I have on order two more spring options. A medium resistance, and a low resistance. The low resistance is a very weak spring, and it will be much much easier for people to press and hold down. This, of course will require extra care when transporting the device in your pocket... as to avoid accidentally pressing the button.

Another thing I am changing is the actual curved surface of the button lens. The acrylic lens is shaped like a dome. This dome shape is fairly pronounced in the first batch, and so it creates a little pressure point at the tip of the dome... In comparison, a flat surface spreads the pressure out over the pad of your thumb...and has the illusion of being "easier" to press.

So, I am changing the dome geometry to be more flat. The aesthetic difference is minimal, but functionally it should be easier to press.

The reason I have yet to receive the springs is because they are a rarely used size... so suppliers didn't have them in stock... it was a long lead-time for me to get them... they should be here very soon!

@shitsnacks - A quick wipe of vaseline on the outside of the glass stem, then wipe off any excess... the glass will look, feel, smell the same... but it will slide in and out of the O-Rings like butter, It makes a huge difference.

Thank you for being sensitive to these issues Dan. When our time rolls round will choosing type of spring be one of our options?

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Thank you for being sensitive to these issues Dan. When our time rolls round will choosing type of spring be one of our options?

Yep, choosing the spring will definitely be one of the options. I'll be offering extra springs at a price, pretty much just what they cost me, which is around $5 a spring.

There is one other option possible... and that is using magnets as the 'spring'. This could give more resistance options if needed.... but the button needs modification for this to work... and at this time I am only looking at solutions for Nomads that are already in the wild.

Kalessin

Yep, choosing the spring will definitely be one of the options. I'll be offering extra springs at a price, pretty much just what they cost me, which is around $5 a spring.

There is one other option possible... and that is using magnets as the 'spring'. This could give more resistance options if needed.... but the button needs modification for this to work... and at this time I am only looking at solutions for Nomads that are already in the wild.
You've mentioned before that you are working on a concentrate heater module design. Anything you can tell us about that yet, or still too far out?

Vapeur Rogue

Est. 2013- Never Lookin' Back

Excellent. Looking forward to discussing these options and/or whatever other discoveries are possible. I truly appreciate your looking after the Nomads already in the wild as priority.

Shit Snacks

About the sleeve. For this batch, and all future batches, I will be applying multiple coats of clear varnish onto the chiyogami paper sleeves. This is to protect the coloured/gold inks and paper from wearing too quickly, which has been a concern voiced by a couple first batchers.

@little maggie I will be emailing everyone in the next few weeks to get their spring preference so that their Nomad ships with the spring of their choice. You mentioned going over the custom details? I have you down for the fish-pattern chiyogami, walnut body, cocobolo stem, and abalone button.

Oh they aren't too tight, just compared to glass on glass connections. I have a personal resistance to oils and creams all over my hands too so don't worry about it lol

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017

I've always loved opposing magnets, instead of springs, in a button. Back when I used to be heavily into nicotine vaporizers, I preferred mods with a magnetic button over a spring.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Hey guys, I wanted to confirm my hunch that a metal stem would cool the vapor more than a glass one. The answer to that question seems to agree with how I understand the difference in thermal conductivity works, and it's a nice read to get a grasp of the 3 different heat transfer mechanisms (conduction, convection, radiation)

https://www.quora.com/Thermodynamic...ss-Which-of-the-cups-will-cool-faster-and-why

So, I bought some stainless steel tubing in 304 grade. It contains less Nickel than 316 so it's less corrosion resistant but it's better for two reasons: 1) Nickel is a probable carcinogen and creates allergies to some people over time (sensitization effect), the least there is the better, 2) Nickel costs more. On top of that the only 316 tubes I found in affordable length (i.e. not industrial quantities) were 2mm thick, so that would have reduced the air flow over the stock stem.

The one I got yields a very slightly larger internal diameter (ID) compared to stock stems, so you need to lightly enlarge (flare) your screens for a better fit (bonus, they fit even better when you put them back in the glass stem) but the difference is minimal really.

63wpir.jpg

I'm cutting them down to 3 sizes: 70mm, 74mm and 80mm. The stock one is 74mm. The two others offer either a more compact look or extra length for cooling. I've been testing the short 70mm one mostly and it's very enjoyable. As you can see above it fits in a 18650 battery case.

2ps136f.jpg

I can't really quantify how much cooler they run. They rob more heat during your draws (hence cooler vapor and more condensation) but then they give more heat back to the load and wood when you're not drawing. They sure are hot near the bowl when I remove them but they don't feel hot to the lips in use. Maybe at best lukewarm if you hit them non-stop back to back. But I won't lie to you: don't expect a night and day cooling difference compared to glass, at least with the 70mm version.

What I know for sure is that they are unbreakable, so this is a bonus for those having troubles not breaking glass. This is why the first one will go to my good man @HerbieVonVapster. That plus a softer spring and you should have your Nomad back in rotation mate!

I think they also look cool. The steel I'm using is not altering vapor taste (and I'm quite sensitive but YMMV) No smell and no taste when I lick it. It did smell when new and when working it, but now it's neutral. Lastly they never look dirty from the outside, so that is maybe more stealthy. Plus many ecigs now have SS tips.

So here's the deal: I got some extra tubing as it was more economical this way, and I can sell a few stems for those interested. If there is any real demand, I can buy some more from the same place. But there are caveats: I'm not a commercial seller nor intend to become one, so don't expect commercial grade service nor customer support. The offer is limited only to FC members with a maximum of two stems per person.

Stems are cut to length, filed, sanded then cleaned. They have smooth edges. You can get one for 12€, including worldwide shipping. Two for 22€ (same shipping cost for me) Contact me by PM if interested so we don't pollute this thread. Thanks.

PS: if you really would like SS316 instead I'll see what I can do but it would cost more and the ID will be reduced by 2mm due to thicker walls.

HerbieVonVapster

What I know for sure is that they are unbreakable, so this is a bonus for those having troubles not breaking glass. This is why the first one will go to my good man @HerbieVonVapster. That plus a softer spring and you should have your Nomad back in rotation mate!

Awesome I can't wait to try it. The esv elevape is really produces a cool vapor for its size. I always felt that was due to the all steel pathway. Been using the wood stem with her but excited to try @KeroZen SS stems.

I Just feel a need to clarify a little bit here. There is technically nothing wrong with the button resistance, and it works just fine as is. A good amount of users here use these Vapes for medical reasons though so if you have bad arthritis or limited dexterity in your hands you might have a bit of an issue with the button, but for the 99% of us that don't have these medical issues the resistance of the button should work just fine.

Totally agree if you have normal hands it's a non issue. It's combo of the resistance and placement of button for me.

The thumb is used to press the button. I am also heavy user so requires a lot of presses. For a normally user wouldn't be a issue. Dan took the time to find and offer a choice of resistance. A big thanks again for that.

seriousTone

Copper is pricey, it oxidizes and will create strong smells when touched with your fingers that would probably alter taste, and ultimately it's way more bioactive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_toxicity
It’s antimicrobial though!

I can see how some people wouldn’t like the “taste”/ smell. I had an all copper mech mod years ago and I loved it, tarnish it not.

I’m definitely getting myself a copper tube, fuck yeah

Last edited:
seriousTone,
Reactions: KeroZen
Top Bottom