The Nomad From Morwood

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Thanks for the kind words guys!

Although, I have to wonder how long it will take for you to build just one unit, start to finish? I mean, given the "hands on" demands of this artwork, how much of the build will actually lend itself to mass production?

Thankfully, prototyping is totally different than batch production. It takes so long to make a one-off because the entire way you're also making adjustments, tools, jigs...you're setting machines up to do specific tasks..and all the while making small parts, like screws, springs, washers, spacers, tubes, rods.. from raw stock.

This is why it would cost you thousands to have a prototype manufacturered for a product that may end up costing very little.

I designed this vape from the beginning to be as easy as possible to batch produce. Every dimension is designed with available raw stock and tooling in mind.

When I get setup for batch production, I'll have made jigs to do all of these tasks in a fraction of the time. And I'll have some more specialized tools to make things easier/faster. There will still be a hell of a lot of hand work involved..but I enjoy that sort of work.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Forgive me I'm going to be silly, stoner non-sense style:

To go further on the previous idea, you could have the option to order custom units. In which case you would have to send a good sample of the bud of your choice to Dan.

He would preserve a fraction inside the marble, then consume the rest to communicate with the Plant. Then under her influence, he would proceed to craft your device, trying to capture her spirit inside the wood, textures and color choices...

Otherwise for standard units you would get whatever is in Dan's stash as he works on it! ;)

Last edited:

b0

Cloudy...
Forgive me I'm going to be silly, stoner non-sense style:

To go further on the previous idea, you could have the option to order custom units. In which case you would have to send a good sample of the bud of your choice to Dan.

He would preserve a sample inside the marble, then consume the rest to communicate with the Plant. Then under her influence, he would proceed to craft your device, trying to capture her spirit inside the wood, textures and color choices...

Otherwise for standard units you would get whatever is in Dan's stash as he works on it! ;)

I'm up for that! Will send some purples that will look amazing and enlight him lol :D

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
I am a cheap bastard, I have no shy to say this and to point out- and avoid -overpriced items (and the vape world is a freaking jungle of overpriced box), but I like good stuff too

Here I am speachless, it is going to be a costy vape (for my standards) but any buck is more than earned, and starting from 420 this year I am not feeding my vas until I have enough founds to buy this beauty.

I was teached "quality shines through details" and I am flashed blind by this small vape.

Edit: for the button a colored acrylic could be also nice (color and depth) and or marbled acrylic

Green-Acrylic-Color-Rod-Colored-Acrylic-Plexiglass.jpg

Last edited:

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Or, a removable lens, with space for the user to place the strain of his/her choice. Side-benefit; emergency stash. :)

hahaha, so odd it just might work!

I had this other wacky idea of filling the sealed button with a tiny self sustaining ecosystem... perhaps an algae, or bacteria, or similar life form... something that would only need a set amount of water/air, and sunlight nutrients. buuut, something tells me the space is too small..

@Andreaerdna, Coloured lenses would totally work.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Would you be able to do a mortise and tenon (to preserve top layer integrity) with clear and colored tubes so you could have an outer ring of color with a clear center for an iris/pupil effect?

Yes. You can use acrylic solvent for the bond. It creates an optically clear seamless join between the two parts. There are some pretty amazing techniques for making hyper-realistic eyes out there, so all the knowledge is freely available. That'd look awesome to have an eye button!

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
I can't like Dan's work enough... I get mesmerized when I look at those beautiful photos! :luv::luv::luv:

@Dan Morrison, have you taken lessons or are you self taught with vids and hundreds of hands-on hours?

:) Thanks man!

I've been into making things from a very early age, I went to art university where I had the opportunity to practice a lot of skills in the wood/metal shops... but I was a Photo major..so not as much practice as I would have liked. For the most part, the skills I use today were learned from obsessively watching hours and hours of youtube videos, lurking maker specific forums, and experimenting in the shop.

There were many years where I was lucky enough to be able to focus entirely on skill building, learning, crafting....while making just enough money to cover food, tools, gas, etc.. and live a sort of hermit style life at my parents empty, half finished, cottage in the woods.

natural farmer

I've been into making things from a very early age, I went to art university where I had the opportunity to practice a lot of skills in the wood/metal shops... but I was a Photo major..so not as much practice as I would have liked. For the most part, the skills I use today were learned from obsessively watching hours and hours of youtube videos, lurking maker specific forums, and experimenting in the shop.

There were many years where I was lucky enough to be able to focus entirely on skill building, learning, crafting....while making just enough money to cover food, tools, gas, etc.. and live a sort of hermit style life at my parents empty, half finished, cottage in the woods.
That's beautiful Dan! Kudos! I hope I get the chance to start a small shop soon as well now that I have moved to my family's small house in the mountains leaving like a hermit as well... :p I love woodworking and I hope I'll be able to get some tools in the following years to start experimenting. :) WIll watch closely of course! :lol: :tup: Keep creating wonders buddy! You are a great inspiration!!!

DarkSm0ke

Okay man, I know you hear it all the time but I am stunned. You sir are a visionary and a renaissance man. @Dan Morrison things that most people pick off the shelf or mass produce by souless mindless machines, you make by hand and breathe life into them. That button with the lichen; amazing and brilliant! We are truly blessed to have the opportunity to watch the birth of this piece of art (that by the way is a vape too). I know this is off topic, but I would love it if you could post other photos of other items you have made with your amazing craftsmanship throughout the years. I am really digging your aesthetic and skill.

VAPEHUNTER

I know this is off topic, but I would love it if you could post other photos of other items you have made with your amazing craftsmanship throughout the years. I am really digging your aesthetic and skill.

Hey brother,
Check out the link below. All the photos in the album are nothing short of AMAZING.
It is what Dan called "a mega album of all the best photos from the entire manufacturing process" of the Okin.

LINK→ http://imgur.com/a/1VaOq

DarkSm0ke

Hey brother,
Check out the link below. All the photos in the album are nothing short of AMAZING.
It is what Dan called "a mega album of all the best photos from the entire manufacturing process" of the Okin.

LINK→ http://imgur.com/a/1VaOq
Wow, thanks @VAPEHUNTER ! Thank you @Dan Morrison, incredible photos. I was actually thinking of photos that don't have to be vape related. Those are stunning nevertheless. Looks like they were made in a magical wood hut in the forest (don't think I am far from the truth).

Derrrpp

For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
I know this is off topic, but I would love it if you could post other photos of other items you have made with your amazing craftsmanship throughout the years. I am really digging your aesthetic and skill.
Have you seen the pipes he's made? If not, this link will blow your mind: :whoa:

http://dmpipes.com/index.html

:peace:

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
I am placing my bulk glass stem order for the production units. And before I place my order with my local lab glass blower, I want to make sure I have my specs correct...

Here is where I need your help, FC.

The wooden stem collar will hold the straight glass stem with O-Rings, no taper joint.

The glass stem outside diameter is what I am torn about.

I have two choices. 12mm OD, and 15mm OD.

12mm OD will play nice with 14mm (14/20) ground glass male adapters.

15mm OD will play nice with 18mm (19/22) ground glass male adapters.

Depending on the tube wall thickness,

12mm OD tube allows for herb chamber inside diameters of 10mm, 9mm, 7.6mm.

15mm OD tube allows for herb chamber inside diameters of 11.4mm, 10mm.

To adapter to a water tool, this will be used, inserted with the straight tube down into the vape, and the male taper joint to be fit into whatever matching female joint you have on your water piece.

RRCpcBA.jpg

The O.D. and I.D. pictured above are the numbers in question.

Obviously the 12mm OD tube gives you a smaller diameter herb chamber.

The 15mm OD tube allows for a slightly larger herb chamber.

Currently I am leaning towards the 15mm OD tube, for larger diameter chamber.

Thoughts?

Also, if anyone out there has a 19/22 male joint, with straight stem, and a ruler.. perhaps you could measure the OD of the straight tube section. I suspect that there will be a small difference between glass manufacturers... and it would help to know the deviation +/- from 15mm.

I could choose a softer O-Ring to help compensate for OD deviation.

Thanks!

And@DarkSm0ke, thank you guys so much for all of those nice comments! Really makes my day. I can't think of anything to say, but just know that your words mean a lot to me! Truly! :D

Same goes for all of the above posters! So much kindness here on the FC!

Top Bottom